00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My Art Thread Re-do

42,334 Views | 359 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 19:21:03

At 9/3/12 06:02 PM, Lucky wrote: Guys! Hey guys and girls! Lets stop ok?

HiryuGoukiplease keep posting art, we shall give you feedback accordingly after you do so, we don't want you to make another art thread and before you think about it stick the art within this thread.

Just keep on drawing and posting mkay

Will do. Thanks for your support. Be sure to leave comments, reviews, and critique. Now...What should I make Nautilus fight?

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 21:25:59

Okay everybody take a step back here and shut up. This thread has only been here for like three days. I am just as annoyed with you guys who are keeping this bullshit going as I am with Hiryu Gouki, if not more so. You guys have got to give him more time. let him draw some more quit making him waste time he could be spending drawing literally anything responding to your advice. If he posts a picture that doesn't show immediate improvement don't all pounce on him and point out every thing wrong with it, let him post a few drawings for a while, give him some time to improve on his own. I've told him and you've told him many many many times to do largely the same thing and guess what dumbasses? He hasn't done it. I figured this out after the first time I spoke up and haven't returned to his threads since. Absinthe especially listen to this, Hiryu is not your responsibility so take a step back and enjoy some lemonade or something.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 21:37:07

STOP GIVING HIM ATTENTION

COME TO MY THREAD INSTEAD

I've got chicken and cookies!

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-03 21:56:37

At 9/3/12 09:25 PM, JackDGreatest wrote: Okay everybody take a step back here and shut up. This thread has only been here for like three days. I am just as annoyed with you guys who are keeping this bullshit going as I am with Hiryu Gouki, if not more so. You guys have got to give him more time. let him draw some more quit making him waste time he could be spending drawing literally anything responding to your advice. If he posts a picture that doesn't show immediate improvement don't all pounce on him and point out every thing wrong with it, let him post a few drawings for a while, give him some time to improve on his own. I've told him and you've told him many many many times to do largely the same thing and guess what dumbasses? He hasn't done it. I figured this out after the first time I spoke up and haven't returned to his threads since. Absinthe especially listen to this, Hiryu is not your responsibility so take a step back and enjoy some lemonade or something.

You tell em'. But yeah, I kinda have this crazy idea in my head. I want to draw an amazon lunging at something with an axe...One guy suggested I do more "actiony" poses, so I am going to do that.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-04 11:49:18

oh boy if only we had mods in the art forum! one can only imagine the glory.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-04 12:11:56

At 9/4/12 11:49 AM, J-qb wrote: oh boy if only we had mods in the art forum! one can only imagine the glory.

Care to elaborate on that?

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-04 12:14:20

At 9/3/12 09:37 PM, PatBest22 wrote: STOP GIVING HIM ATTENTION

COME TO MY THREAD INSTEAD

I've got chicken and cookies!

Reported. Do not promote your thread on my thread. You are here to talk about my art as I showcase it. You are free to comment, critique, review my art as I display it. Nothing more. Why? Because whenever these things get off topic, it always turns into a poo-flinging contest. I hope you all are happy with ruining the first four pages of my thread, by the way. Thanks a lot. Hope you're proud of yourselves for turning an innocent showcase into a flame war.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-04 13:19:43

From this post on the following will apply.

Hiryu - you dont need to respond to every post, and you dont need to be whiney about it. If you disagree with someone, leave it alone. Keep posting art. If you agree with a critique given mention so if you want, and KEEP.. POSTING... ART... and STOP COMPLAINING. No we wont lock this and no you wont make a new thread, just post art, and aknowledge the critiques that will help you.

Everyone else - quit trying to troll him, if he doesnt want to listen to your good advice thats his issue, stop fueling the flames. He is easy to aggravate, but its getting old and annoying. If he wont listen, so be it, it doesnt hurt you if he wants to try things his own way. Next person who tries to get shit riled up again in here is getting a ban. Simple as that, if you offer a critique that is correct or useful ill leave you alone, if he responds to that critique immaturely then DROP IT and MOVE THE FUCK ON!

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-04 17:52:50

At 9/4/12 01:19 PM, ornery wrote:

KEEP.. POSTING... ART...

I agree especially with this part. I want to see more finished art. I think that winged demon chick was kind of cool even with any flaws it may have had. It kind of reminds me of a cross between anime and an old school sailor tattoo. Kind of curious if it was intended and whether or not you will continue in that direction.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-04 18:29:15

At 9/4/12 05:52 PM, Sockembop wrote:
At 9/4/12 01:19 PM, ornery wrote:
KEEP.. POSTING... ART...

I agree especially with this part. I want to see more finished art. I think that winged demon chick was kind of cool even with any flaws it may have had. It kind of reminds me of a cross between anime and an old school sailor tattoo. Kind of curious if it was intended and whether or not you will continue in that direction.

I dunno...I think I am going to go for more "actiony" stuff from now on.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-04 22:11:59

At 9/4/12 06:33 PM, CypressDahlia wrote: I think the message everyone is trying to send you is: show don't tell.

I'll help you once you try more stuff, but if it's not appearing I can't help you at all.

Okay. I'm going to try more action-based stuff, starting with my project on my news feed. For now, I am saving the basic designs for tomorrow. I am not really in the mood to start it now, so when I did think of it, I wrote it down so I could begin work on it the next day. Thanks for your support everyone.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-06 07:53:32

One of the subjects for the next project. She is an amazoness warrior.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-06 10:00:05

Right right, let's think this character design through. She is an amazon warrior, thus she probably resides in a forest, possibly the amazon forest.
Thick brush, massive tree roots, varying terrain, vines, mold, holes, rocks, mud, and you've given her high heeled shoes for footwear.

This warrior isn't going to win any battles.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-06 10:23:15

Hands are one of the coolest parts of the body, man, and one of the most poseable. Don't downplay them so much. They can add a lot of dynamics to a drawing.

What should I do with the hands, then? Make them bigger?

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-06 10:36:38

At 9/6/12 10:23 AM, HiryuGouki wrote:
Hands are one of the coolest parts of the body, man, and one of the most poseable. Don't downplay them so much. They can add a lot of dynamics to a drawing.
What should I do with the hands, then? Make them bigger?

That is one possibility. Keep in mind hands are about the size of your head/face (dont belive me, hold your hand up to your face and see for yourself.)

I think that what cypress was trying to say is that hands add a ton of movement, expression, and personality to a piece based on their position and action. For example, you can have a picture of a mean looking fighter dude, but if he is doing jazz hands he will look less intimidating than if he were to be clenching his fists hard, regardless of his stance.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-06 11:01:25

At 9/6/12 10:53 AM, StarPaladin wrote: Yeahhh.. If she was in a battle she'd die in 5 seconds flat. Give her more protective armor.

Possibly a bit of muscle as well, wouldn't hurt.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-06 12:41:44

At 9/6/12 10:53 AM, StarPaladin wrote: Yeahhh.. If she was in a battle she'd die in 5 seconds flat. Give her more protective armor.

Not many amazon warriors depicted in fantasy stories wear that much armor. I mean, look at the amazon from Dragon's Crown.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-06 12:42:54

At 9/6/12 10:00 AM, PatBest22 wrote: Right right, let's think this character design through. She is an amazon warrior, thus she probably resides in a forest, possibly the amazon forest.
Thick brush, massive tree roots, varying terrain, vines, mold, holes, rocks, mud, and you've given her high heeled shoes for footwear.

The high heels I can agree with. I'll just shorten them a bit, and if I can, give her a slightly bigger frame.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-06 13:09:47

At 9/6/12 12:41 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:
Not many amazon warriors depicted in fantasy stories wear that much armor. I mean, look at the amazon from Dragon's Crown.

She's wearing a bikini, that's hardly a reference. She's also some 6-foot tall, 350-400 pounds of muscle.
Fantasy stories have a habit of dressing up their women in a way that aims specifically to please the men who will be playing it.

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-06 17:58:06

At 9/6/12 02:21 PM, CypressDahlia wrote: TBH, to evaluate the effectiveness of the design we'd have to look at the story and universe context of the character. High heels, though, I can agree, are not very suiting.

But I can see a character like that working just fine in--say--the Slayers universe or something. Personally I'd expand the armor more, though. Believe it or not, when it comes to manga, the most defining features of a character are in the clothing design. Give yourself more space to customize the clothing and integrate more design elements.

In actuality, I think minimal armor is designed for speed. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but most amazon warriors tend to be strong, no matter how they're depicted. I have now decided that I will draw fantasy women, dragons, etc for this thread. I will post some monster sketches I have done as of last year, starting with this golem. This thing will be seen in some later art pieces. But yeah, I do agree with what you're saying, I just don't feel like adding anything more, clothing wise would be very beneficial, as it would add weight and slow her down. Also, I have decided to use both the re-design of this character and Nautilus to keep it simple.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-06 20:57:58

At 9/6/12 05:58 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: In actuality, I think minimal armor is designed for speed.

If you're designing it for speed, though, why would you give her high heels and kind of strangely restrictive shoulder pieces?

I'm not going to say that you need to prize practicality over everything, because it is fantasy and stylisation with respect to armour is acceptable in fantasy. The real issue with battle bikinis is in works where all the males are fully armoured, which gives it a kind of sexist male-gaze thing that I won't go into.

What's more important, though, is the fact that looking at the character there is nothing to suggest to me that she is an Amazon. She looks a bit more to me like a dominatrix. One of the most important things in character design is communicating their character through look alone (obviously there are exceptions), but this character just seems to be a hodgepodge of things you thought looked cool thrown together. It's fine to say that she's just a warrior of some sort, and then you can invent whatever culture would make that a reasonable battle outfit. But Amazons are kind of a specific thing, with their own iconography. If you're trying to make an Amazon you would do well to research what makes an Amazon an Amazon, and incorporate that into your character design.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-06 21:26:47

At 9/6/12 08:57 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 9/6/12 05:58 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: In actuality, I think minimal armor is designed for speed.
If you're designing it for speed, though, why would you give her high heels and kind of strangely restrictive shoulder pieces?

I'm not going to say that you need to prize practicality over everything, because it is fantasy and stylisation with respect to armour is acceptable in fantasy. The real issue with battle bikinis is in works where all the males are fully armoured, which gives it a kind of sexist male-gaze thing that I won't go into.

Agreed. Which is why, if I go further into this character's concept, I'll make sure that both males and females within this primordial warrior culture dress similarly, with men's almost entire torsos exposed. If it's relative to a culture within a world, I would stress the point that if your women are scantily clad, especially in the case of jungle warriors, your males should be as well. This not only avoids sexism issues, but also tells you that it's not just women that dress like that. Even more so, if you keep that kind of dress within only a certain part of your fantasy world, it separates that culture from the rest, thus not only making an identifying feature of that culture, race, etc, but also avoids the sexism issue altogether.

I have always wanted to treat female characters the same as male characters, simply because I, myself, am not a sexist. We need to have a change in the games industry that says, "If a male is wearing the same kind of outfit as a woman, it should not look too off base for the male character model." This is especially a problem in MMOs. Have you ever played an MMO and wondered whenever your female character acquires the same set of armor as a male character, is statistically better than your current armor, yet looks skimpy as all hell? You wonder, "Why the hell did they do that?" And then, you realize that kind of thing makes women out to objects, which is shameful and shows a lack of maturity on the developers' part.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-06 23:12:34

At 9/6/12 07:53 AM, HiryuGouki wrote: One of the subjects for the next project. She is an amazoness warrior.

the figure looks a quite stiff and the body parts look a lot like puppet joints, I'd really suggest more life drawing as well as placing your figures on a 3/4 angle

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-07 09:17:14

the figure looks a quite stiff and the body parts look a lot like puppet joints, I'd really suggest more life drawing as well as placing your figures on a 3/4 angle

I know that. This is only a design for the character. Also, can we please drop the whole "draw from life" crap? I know, and I get it. I know you're trying to help, but I only wanted critique on the DESIGN. Critique the ART. Not the way I draw. Point out flaws in the ART itself.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-07 09:32:23

REDESIGN!!! Sorry for the low quality, though. I had to save it under minimal settings. This design, to me, looks a lot better. I have gotten rid of the stiffness, and did away with the high-heels, instead making a heel that's only an inch high. I also moved the tattoo onto her abdomen, and I will be drawing the back view next (hopefully without screwing up this time).

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-07 09:41:05

Keep in mind, I only want critique for whatever art I post here. Nothing more. Just the art, nothing else.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-07 10:35:49

Can't guarantee this to be 100% correct but yeah, it's definitely more correct now.

Keep workin' hard

My Art Thread Re-do

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-07 11:37:20

At 9/7/12 10:35 AM, Ludic wrote: Can't guarantee this to be 100% correct but yeah, it's definitely more correct now.

Keep workin' hard

Thank you! Anyways, I will get started on the back views and such, later, because this cold I have is just really taking it out of me...So yeah...

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-07 12:07:07

I can also design HUDs.

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature

Response to My Art Thread Re-do 2012-09-07 12:12:07

I can also design logos!

My Art Thread Re-do

BBS Signature