00:00
00:00

Simply A Video Game

798 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Simply A Video Game 2012-08-25 13:31:25


Last month I wrote an article entitled The World As You Know It, where I talked about Minecraft and the effects it had on me. I didn't understand why though, but as I also asked people about Terraria, they said that they preferred it over Minecraft and found Minecraft boring and didn't get the point of it. Well I guess we were in the same boat, but couldn't decide where to sail. Because I liked Minecraft, but I didn't get the point of it either.

I watched the Zero Punctuation Review on it and he compared it to a model railroad, which I liked that explanation of it, but at the same time it still didn't really click. What is the purpose of doing a model railroad? It seems more like a hobby than playing a video game. Then it dawned on me... the explanation was right there. It's just simple-minded. There is no bullshit in what the game presents to you. It all depends on which one clicks with your psyche.

I mean there are people who love The Sims and talk about its complexity, even though you're just playing God house-sitting for a group of humans trapped in a perpetual maze. I guess there is some philosophical points to that, but as far as gameplay goes not entirely much, but that's just my opinion which I guess it what it boils down to. For you see I love Animal Crossing and it pretty much is nothing more than The Sims in a different skin, I feel it is more compelling than that of The Sims.

A lot of games work this way, with The Sims, Animal Crossing, Minecraft, Terraria, FarmVille, and Harvest Moon. All of these are very simple and are no bullshit with their presentations and gameplay. The question still remains as to why some people like these games while others don't and it's not something I can fully answer, because with these games it comes down to how much fun you're having when playing them. Wait, isn't that the point of a video game in the first place? Well yes it is and it seems these games are ones who truly remember that point, while others are looking for goals and trying to build bridges that are either already built or didn't need to be built in the first place.

This format of making a video game and leaving it all to the player to decide is truly what makes them great. They're not out there trying to prove anything, they're just giving you what is there. I guess that's also what made games like Shadow of the Colossus, Portal, and Psychonauts also quite popular. There was no bullshit to any of them... they just offered themselves to you for your impressions, which I guess also makes them stand out as an art form as well.

It all comes down to preference for video games like these AS IT SHOULD BE. Because when a video game tries to prove something and hype itself up then it usually falls flat or at the very least attains a level it shouldn't be at. Reason is it makes empty promises that it can't fulfill or step up to when it does. What ever happened to the days when you simply talk about a video game, then when it is released you discern about it one way or another?

Questions of the Day
1. Out of the video games listed in this post. Which three do you like and why?
2. Which two do you not like and why?
3. What do you think of 2012 compared to 2007 and 1998?
4. What are your thoughts on Zero Punctuation?
5. What are two of your favorite video game songs?
6. What are the ingredients in Lon Lon Milk?

Response to Simply A Video Game 2012-08-25 14:17:29


At 8/25/12 01:31 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Questions of the Day
1. Out of the video games listed in this post. Which three do you like and why?

I love The Sims, Animal Crossing and Minecraft. Haven't played the others but I might get Terraria.

With the Sims, its just fun to bring up your own Sim, watch it live through its life. I actually found it quite a nice moment when my shy, geeky Sim got a girlfriend. And because I created him, I decided his strengths and weaknesses, I built the house he lives in - that makes it even better.

Animal Crossing, I just like the calm, simple nature of it. It feels like a great achievement when you get an extension for your house, and I like the music too. I'd even wait until 7 or 8 in the evening on a Saturday night just to get a music disc from K.K.

I like Minecraft because of how open ended it is. Plus the monsters are memorable, the music is haunting yet relaxing and nostalgic (makes me think of my childhood, not really sure why) and multiplayer is really fun too. Building with friends is great, and starting a survival with friends is great too - like having a roommate but in Minecraft.

2. Which two do you not like and why?

I don't really agree with the microtransactions in Farmville - its like they've seen that some people on Facebook aren't that bright and want to exploit that. Not really my problem though. I haven't looked into Harvest Moon at all and I like the look of Terraria so I can't comment on those.

3. What do you think of 2012 compared to 2007 and 1998?

In general? Or do you mean the type of games coming out? I think its still great. Indie gaming is on the rise giving us things like Minecraft and Terraria, plus we still have the games that were released in 2007 and 1998.

4. What are your thoughts on Zero Punctuation?

I think its great, I like the cartoons in it, like the fast talking approach and its funny too.

5. What are two of your favorite video game songs?

Hard really. I like pretty much all of the songs in the Pokemon games up to Emerald, plus Minecraft has a really relaxing soundtrack as I mentioned earlier. Never played Final Fantasy so I can't really appreciate the music as much, but I've heard some of it and thats great too. Its really hard to decide...

I love all of the songs in Minecraft, but I think I like this the best. Dry Hands by C418 and also Goldenrod City in Pokemon Gold.

6. What are the ingredients in Lon Lon Milk?

Lon lons and dog milk?


god

BBS Signature

Response to Simply A Video Game 2012-08-25 15:22:14


At 8/25/12 01:31 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
Questions of the Day
1. Out of the video games listed in this post. Which three do you like and why?

None. Not that I don't like them, aside from minecraft they just don't look very interesting.

2. Which two do you not like and why?

(see above)

3. What do you think of 2012 compared to 2007 and 1998?

Developers were less afraid of trying something new because video games were evolving of course, around 2007 this is when the supposed "Fall of video games" I.E the "COD takeover" began.

4. What are your thoughts on Zero Punctuation?

Love his shows despite not understanding some of his jokes from time to time.

5. What are two of your favorite video game songs?

Lyrical:

Live and Learn (SA2)

Passion (KH II)

Instrumental:
Ocean Palace (sonic Heroes)

Reach for the Stars orchestra (Sonic Colors)

6. What are the ingredients in Lon Lon Milk?

...


QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to Simply A Video Game 2012-08-25 18:19:33


At 8/25/12 01:31 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Last month I wrote an article entitled The World As You Know It, where I talked about Minecraft and the effects it had on me. I didn't understand why though, but as I also asked people about Terraria, they said that they preferred it over Minecraft and found Minecraft boring and didn't get the point of it. Well I guess we were in the same boat, but couldn't decide where to sail. Because I liked Minecraft, but I didn't get the point of it either.

I watched the Zero Punctuation Review on it and he compared it to a model railroad, which I liked that explanation of it, but at the same time it still didn't really click. What is the purpose of doing a model railroad? It seems more like a hobby than playing a video game. Then it dawned on me... the explanation was right there. It's just simple-minded. There is no bullshit in what the game presents to you. It all depends on which one clicks with your psyche.

I mean there are people who love The Sims and talk about its complexity, even though you're just playing God house-sitting for a group of humans trapped in a perpetual maze. I guess there is some philosophical points to that, but as far as gameplay goes not entirely much, but that's just my opinion which I guess it what it boils down to. For you see I love Animal Crossing and it pretty much is nothing more than The Sims in a different skin, I feel it is more compelling than that of The Sims.

A lot of games work this way, with The Sims, Animal Crossing, Minecraft, Terraria, FarmVille, and Harvest Moon. All of these are very simple and are no bullshit with their presentations and gameplay. The question still remains as to why some people like these games while others don't and it's not something I can fully answer, because with these games it comes down to how much fun you're having when playing them. Wait, isn't that the point of a video game in the first place? Well yes it is and it seems these games are ones who truly remember that point, while others are looking for goals and trying to build bridges that are either already built or didn't need to be built in the first place.

This format of making a video game and leaving it all to the player to decide is truly what makes them great. They're not out there trying to prove anything, they're just giving you what is there. I guess that's also what made games like Shadow of the Colossus, Portal, and Psychonauts also quite popular. There was no bullshit to any of them... they just offered themselves to you for your impressions, which I guess also makes them stand out as an art form as well.

It all comes down to preference for video games like these AS IT SHOULD BE. Because when a video game tries to prove something and hype itself up then it usually falls flat or at the very least attains a level it shouldn't be at. Reason is it makes empty promises that it can't fulfill or step up to when it does. What ever happened to the days when you simply talk about a video game, then when it is released you discern about it one way or another?

Questions of the Day
1. Out of the video games listed in this post. Which three do you like and why?

I liked Harvest Moon while I had it but my brother got rid of it which didn't bother me much. I liked in Wonderful Life how you try to get into Heaven. I like Animal Crossing because (dubbing it makes funny videos) because I like the random characters and their dialogue along with the game(s) itself(them self). I haven't played Terraria but it looks good and more than likely a bit more engaging and fun to play alone then Minecraft.

2. Which two do you not like and why?

Minecraft just never appealed to me that much but games like it such as Castle Miner and Castle Miner Z I thought were more for less when it comes to amount of fun and price. Farmville because it looks dumb and I hate getting requests on my Facebook to play it when I NEVER WILL!

3. What do you think of 2012 compared to 2007 and 1998?

I think compared to 2007 we are very similar because God Of War 2 and Forza 2 were sequels a lot of gamers were waiting for and then got it. This year we got games like The Darkness II which I didn't care about but my friends were looking forward to it. Another example is Shank 2 which I sadly couldn't get. Also in 2007 we got RE4 for Windows and this year we got Minecraft for Console.

I believe compared to 1998 we may be quite similar again. 1998 introduced us to the Game Boy Color and the end of the Sega Saturn. We may see the end of discs for the Xbox and possibly new XBOX and PS. !998 brought us Half Life and hopefully 2012 will bring us a release of Half Life: Episode Three.

4. What are your thoughts on Zero Punctuation?

Never heard of him/her.

5. What are two of your favorite video game songs?
6. What are the ingredients in Lon Lon Milk?

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Simply A Video Game 2012-08-26 01:18:15


tl;dr people like different things because they do. wow thank you for that insight

i'll see you in the next edition of pointless ramblings about stuff no one cares about

sage


hey

BBS Signature

Response to Simply A Video Game 2012-08-26 10:41:18


1. Out of the video games listed in this post. Which three do you like and why?

The Sims, Animal Crossing, and Terraria. I like Terraria over Minecraft because of the better RPG elements.

2. Which two do you not like and why?

Minecraft and Farmville. I just can't enjoy Minecraft. I don't know why, but I think it's got something to do with the boisterous fanbase.

3. What do you think of 2012 compared to 2007 and 1998?

I think games are becoming more like movies. Mainstream game companies don't want to take any risks. But then I find popular indie games. They end up being just as bad as mainstream games, but they get a godlike reputation merely because they're not made by some mainstream company.

4. What are your thoughts on Zero Punctuation?

I watch his rants.

5. What are two of your favorite video game songs?

http://youtu.be/ehPEGYKhLBI
http://youtu.be/YJ8jOCsWNmQ
Any two songs from the Crash Twinsanity OST really.

6. What are the ingredients in Lon Lon Milk?

Milk from a cow raised from the Lon Lon ranch. Some kinda alcohol.

Response to Simply A Video Game 2012-08-26 13:24:01


1. Out of the video games listed in this post. Which three do you like and why?

Minecraft, The Sims and Portal. Terraria looks interesting but I never tried it. Though after I got addicted to Minecraft for a period of time I started to avoid any game that had the same open world resemblance in fear of getting addicted again.
Life's too short to spend playing a video game.

2. Which two do you not like and why?

I haven't played the other games... Sorry.

3. What do you think of 2012 compared to 2007 and 1998?

Just to be clear. I started on Unity game development this year and ever since I've been carefully studying every game I get my hands on.
Recently in 2012 and 2007. Video game companies are trying to sell their products to casual gamers because they see them as "guaranteed income". You can see that obvious when you see Bethesda's track record with the Elder Scrolls.

I think oldschool PC gamers like me can find the more recent games piss easy. Half-life 1 was very hard and rewarding, but I managed to beat Half-life 2 while barely dieing on normal difficulty and it was not as rewarding. But nevertheless it was still a memorable experience like the original.

I also see that game sequels recently released might look better graphically but they fail to catch the charm of the previous installments (like Deus Ex, Mass Effect). For example, Max Payne 3 had those cool breakable environments and more polygons and effects. But personally I find Max Payne 1 more "eyecandy" because I could see how the original developers poured their blood and soul into the game when they made sure every little detail is as perfect as possible.
2012 < 2007 < 1998 > 1995 > 1990

4. What are your thoughts on Zero Punctuation?

I thought he was funny but the jokes he was trying to force were already done to death before so I didn't laugh too hard.

5. What are two of your favorite video game songs?

Doom - The classic era & Portal 2 - The best atmospheric songs I heard in a video game

6. What are the ingredients in Lon Lon Milk?

That's easy. A Lon Lon chocolate Cow.

At 8/26/12 01:18 AM, Crink wrote: i'll see you in the next edition of pointless ramblings about stuff no one cares about

I care.

Response to Simply A Video Game 2012-08-26 13:39:17


At 8/26/12 01:18 AM, Crink wrote: i'll see you in the next edition of pointless ramblings about stuff no one cares about

Don't speak for everyone when no-one else in this thread even agrees with you. Go and be an arsehole somewhere else.


god

BBS Signature