00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Content Unpublishing: DONE!

19,478 Views | 61 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 16:50:14

With the launch of the redesign in February we introduced the Project System, a better way to manage your submissions on NG. The immediate benefits were the ability to preview your submission before publishing, integrate the API under a single project umbrella and add co-authors without the outdated Portal Buddy system.

There was one glaring ommission, though; we launched without the ability to unpublish projects! It was intended to launch soon after but ended up taking a while.

THE WAIT IS OVER!

You can now unpublish your projects. Simply click the red pencil to edit your submission and at the bottom of the left column you will see the option to unpublish the project.

The exciting thing that you COULDN'T do in the past is you can now republish a project if you change your mind!

If you have an unpublished project cluttering up your Project System and you want it gone FOR GOOD, you can also delete the project completely. It will be moved to a trashcan for a week and then vanish forever. Note: You need to unpublish your project BEFORE you can delete the project. The link appears in the same place, bottom left. The trash bin will appear in the bottom left of your "Manage Games", "Manage Movies" or "Manage Audio" page if you have deleted a project.

The other good news is you will retain any ad revenue earned by unpublished and deleted projects.

Before you go all blam-happy on your old submissions, keep this in mind: NG serves as a historical archive going back to the dawn of the web. It's exciting to retain as much of that as possible.

Also if you have become an accomplished artist, your old crap serves as inspiration for kids who want to do what you do. If someone only ever sees you be amazing, they may feel intimidated and defeated out the gate. If they can see your progression, it shows them you had to start somewhere and work your way up. This is way more inspiring than the myth of the magical artist who just comes out the gate with a master skillset. It also makes your personal journey a lot more awe-inspiring.

Find a bug? PM me with specific information about how and what happened. Please include browser and OS details.

In other news, ya know those random outtages and database issues we were having? RESOLVED!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 16:53:26

Holy fuck you just amazinged the whole of Newgrounds.

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 16:57:04

At 8/20/12 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote: Before you go all blam-happy on your old submissions, keep this in mind: NG serves as a historical archive going back to the dawn of the web. It's exciting to retain as much of that as possible.

It's always good to have the option to take out stuff you don't want but I do have to agree with this. It's one of the reasons why I haven't taken down my flash movies, even if they all sucked. Some people liked watching them so why take away fun from others? Some of them may have contained mistakes in my past but really, that was then and this is now.

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 16:57:31

At 8/20/12 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Also if you have become an accomplished artist, your old crap serves as inspiration for kids who want to do what you do. If someone only ever sees you be amazing, they may feel intimidated and defeated out the gate. If they can see your progression, it shows them you had to start somewhere and work your way up. This is way more inspiring than the myth of the magical artist who just comes out the gate with a master skillset. It also makes your personal journey a lot more awe-inspiring.

Content Unpublishing is all well and good for those who need it, but this paragraph is very important and I really hope that others see its importance as well. I agree with just about everything in it; seeing progression from one of your favorite artists is not only encouraging, but also helpful in speeding up your own artistic progression, as you can see what worked well and not so well for your idols.

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 16:58:38

Yay! Now i'm going to delete ALL my old pr-

At 8/20/12 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote: your old crap serves as inspiration for kids who want to do what you do.

Never mind

BBS Signature

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 17:06:17

Awesome news. Thank you Tom!

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 17:07:14

I deleted something and got the message below. Does this mean I'm on the mod team?

Will we ever be able to change the names of our submissions? or change from movie to game or vice versa in case we make a mistake? or do we just have to delete and resubmit?

Balderdash and PoppyClock

BBS Signature

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 17:09:55

Haw sweet

Now if we could get some of that good title editing stuff we're all set

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 17:14:19

THE WAIT IS OVER!

I was under the impression that patience would pay off.

Thanks to Tom and the staff for taking the time to fix this feature!

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 17:21:32

You, sir, are my favorite. I have a lot of empty projects that I created either accidentally, sometimes to test weird characters like © or something.... Clearing those out will be awesome. Thanks Tom and crew :D

krangGAMES - Fun By Design

Website - Facebook - Twitter

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 17:27:05

THANK YOU!
I have some stuff ive been wanting to get rid of that have just been taking up space.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 17:29:45

At 8/20/12 05:03 PM, MikeyS9607 wrote: If you unpublish and republish does it retain the same upload date, and does it have to go through judgement again?

The old data will all be intact.

BBS Signature

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 17:33:20

Ah! It's great to see this update! :)

Now if only we could edit the titles of our submissions after they've been posted, especially because the limit on the length of submission titles was lowered with this current version of Newgrounds.

I rather liked the title of one of my songs being "Sonic- Green Hill Zone Piano" instead of being stuck with "Sonic- Green Hill Zone Pi" and no way to change it. X_X

Nonetheless, it's great to able able to remove our own content again without having to bug administration about it all the time. ^_^; Keep up the great work, Team Newgrouds! :)

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 17:35:03

BTW everyone thank PsychoGoldfish!

BBS Signature

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 17:38:48

It may have taken a while, but it's finally here. However, I agree with Bahamut and LDAF on keeping old shit around.

I'm not impressed with the way things are going here.

Old Music|Artistic Progress|Current Music

MSN & Trillian: Ask first.

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 17:39:49

At 8/20/12 05:35 PM, TomFulp wrote: BTW everyone thank PsychoGoldfish!

Thanks Josh! We love you!

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 17:50:17

Ah, good to see people can delete their own projects again. Over the past few months I've seen a lot of topics in the Wi/Ht? Forum pop up where people were asking how to take down their submissions. Now they finally can.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 17:53:59

but send all complaints to JohhnyUtah

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 17:55:21

Before you go all blam-happy on your old submissions, keep this in mind: NG serves as a historical archive going back to the dawn of the web. It's exciting to retain as much of that as possible.

1999 was the dawn of the web? I thought it started a few years before that....

I could be mistaken tho...

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 18:01:53

Time to rejoice!

Sig made by DLX

BBS Signature

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 18:25:44

At 8/20/12 05:55 PM, Lionelion wrote: 1999 was the dawn of the web? I thought it started a few years before that....
I could be mistaken tho...

As noted in another reply, NG started in 1995 and the Portal itself goes back to the dawn of Flash movies and games.

BBS Signature

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 18:34:03

At 8/20/12 05:53 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote:
but send all complaints to JohhnyUtah

But of course.

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 19:09:46

I fixed up a few of the bugs, like that 'removed by moderators' message. As far as that bug where you get told you already uploaded the file... its because your old file is still there, so if you re-uploaded it it thinks you are posting it twice. I'll be working on a solution to that as I can see how that might be confusing to people.

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 19:12:58

At 8/20/12 06:08 PM, Zachary wrote:
I liked him better when he was cooking food

great segwey to a shameless self promotion!

GO VISIT MY SHINY NEW FOOD BLOG AT ICOOKATHOME.NET!!!!

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 20:03:09

What about changing the title of our submissions?

You had fixed this Tom, with my 'Chapter 4' thing, but it's... reverted back to what it was.

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 21:02:54

At 8/20/12 04:50 PM, TomFulp wrote: Also if you have become an accomplished artist, your old crap serves as inspiration for kids who want to do what you do.

One of the best things about NG IMO!

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 22:16:16

Strangely enough, despite unpublishing and deleting several projects, they still show up on my page; even after clearing my browser cookies, and even if I'm logged out. (I thought, maybe I could still see them when I was logged in because they were still in the one-week trash bin. Or something. I don't know.)

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 22:19:17

Being able to remove stuff is great. I still have issues making edits to several different submissions of mine (thumbnail, tag, etc). Submit button does not work and neither does the publish option in those movies. Also issues with revenue totals still.

BBS Signature

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-20 23:28:02

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

"Oh my god, JC, a bomb!"

Response to Content Unpublishing: DONE! 2012-08-21 01:07:51

Apart from the most immediately noticeable, visual facelift, the redesign has improved the overall project managing ux a lot, and the un-publish/delete functions were needed additions as well. As a matter of fact just a few days ago, on clock day, I was wondering where can I delete projects! I was thinking that there has to be one, but then decided I can search for it later. Well, now, less than one week later, it's there! :)

By the way, about the opposite situation, when updating a published game, it seemed to me that the
"Make Live?This will automatically publish your changes!"
option doesn't work properly. On clock day, I tried to use that a few times, but it didn't affect the publication. It didn't seem like a cache related thing either, as on each of the times the changes were immediately there after I used the "Publish changes" button.