00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter

6,139 Views | 62 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-23 06:10:21

tough choice both games play very differently
but if i have to choose it would have to be MK

Does anyone actually read these?

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-23 17:37:20

I like them both, but Street Fighter is my favorite fighting game definitely. The characters are all really unique and I like how they all have a range spell.

Arise to sky and set free - Release toward horizon

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-23 18:52:20

At 8/22/12 08:47 PM, Wavepad wrote:
At 8/19/12 09:30 PM, Cootie wrote: They are both fun fighting games and better than shitty ass Soul Calibur.
True,Soul Calibur has no story at all,Darth Vader?REALLY?

cuz we all play fighters for the story, right?

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-23 19:00:55

At 8/23/12 06:52 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 8/22/12 08:47 PM, Wavepad wrote:
At 8/19/12 09:30 PM, Cootie wrote: They are both fun fighting games and better than shitty ass Soul Calibur.
True,Soul Calibur has no story at all,Darth Vader?REALLY?
cuz we all play fighters for the story, right?

Some can be surprisingly decent, if you really care about them. I'd list some off the top of my head, but I'd imagine you would say otherwise regardless. And in all fairness, Soul Calibur's story has been shitty after III.

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-23 20:06:05

At 8/23/12 08:00 PM, Protagonist wrote:

Much respect, all of it.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-23 22:49:23

At 8/23/12 08:00 PM, Protagonist wrote:
At 8/20/12 01:28 PM, DarkShadowblade wrote: lol @ people caring about a story in a Fighting game.
Lol @ an idiot telling me story isn't important in a fighting game, it is in any game. If you're going to make a game, you want everything about it to be good. By your logic all FPS should be COD esquire no story 99% cut-scene battles. MK has a story, on top of gameplay which proves QUALITY over quantity. But if you enjoy boring generic guy with white ki characters with no backstory other than hes fighting just because he has autism then enjoy.

Are you stupid? Are you really telling me people play DDR for the Beautifully written story mode? Or what about Guitar Hero? Most people, in this day and age care more about Online than a Story mode for multiplayer games.

LOL @ MK proving QUALITY over quanity. I'm guessing your another ignorant fool who knows nothign about superficial the Mechanics of the Game (fighting wise) actually are?

Street Fighter is one of the most internationally played Fighting game for a reason. It teaches you the fundamentals that Apply to ALL fighting games (even 3D ones), has no overly stupid mechanics that waste time and has a balanced cast.
Yet every game since the first anybody with 1/4 of a skill level can still spam hadoken and pretty much win. Oh wait, almost every character has a stupid projectile that can be spammed with the flick of a thumb. Throw that on top of someone whos skilled, but still an arse and you've got all the fun sucked out of the game by an elitist who doesn't know what fun means and just wants TEH BESTEST KDR

OH MY GOD, SO EVERY CHARACTER HAS A MOVE THAT COVERS THE HORIZONTAL PLANE ON A SCREEN? Implying you don't have that same shit in Mortal Kombat? Are you Serious? EVO 2011 top 8 of MK consisted of 6 or the 8 players winning through straight zoning (spamming Projectiles). Please stop talking out your ass. Now please tell me how much of those people with 1/4 of a skill level "win" at any top level SSF4? None. Please tell me how much of those people with 1/4 skill level are able to pull off one frame links successfuly at SF4? None.

Unlike MK 9, all characters in Street Fighter now have an answer to every other character thanks to AE 2012. SF not only teaches you fundamentals, but teaches you the basics and advanced tactics on Execution, It requires you to be spot on with what you input you want.
As does MK, and any other fighting game

lolno. A Fighting game that uses a button to block does not teach fundamentals. A game that has no Complex mechanics within it does not Teach Fundamentals.

Where do you get this notion that SF is completely balanced and perfect? Besides, 1 character to counter each character is stupid. Promoting that kind of thing just makes it so that on the character selection screen instead of choosing who you want, you'll choose the guy who can fuck the others guy's guy up. That's hardly strategy.

Did I SAY SF was completely balanced and Perfect? infact earlier in the thread I pointed out how Yun and Yang were made intentionally overpowered by their developer.
Do you read what you post? Like at all? Counter Picking has been around since Fighting games themselves . Implying people haven't counter picked in MK9 is absurd and just ignorant. Just because a character is able to counter anothers' tools doesn't mean the matchup is completely in their favour, hence why you had people like Infiltration @ Evo 2012 taking it without loosing a set, while others tried counterpicking his Akuma.

MK 9 is a game that appeals to casuals . There's nothing wrong with that, but by that Imean it's a very superficial game.
Do you know what superficial means? If anything these elitist fighting games that change nothing but don't allow some leniency towards new players are superficial. Not to mention that, but the lack of effort to change anything in SF is laughable. The only thing that's changed is the graphics, it still has clunky, stiff game-play that plays like you're controlling someone with made of wood

Another dumbass ignorant statement. MK9 is superficial because of it's simple game mechanics and simple design. You can insult SF's gameplay all you want, but at least SF4 is complex throughout the interior and exterior of the game.

Not every character has an answer to another character (lol Kung Lao), it uses a BUTTON to block and not the traditional Back direction to back, and does not teach proper fundamentals. Execution isn't even a factor in MK9 since the combos are all in the span of ~10 frames to connect to another move.
Oh man I walk backwards to block so skilled man

You're an idiot. Blocking is a fundamental to fighting games and vital. Mortal Kombat using a button to block does not teach proper blocking and doesn't even properly specify what to block and when. Using block to back shows you what to block when (is it an overhead or is it a low?) and the frames you have inwhich to block it. Please go to Guilty gear, Blazblue, UMVC3, SF, Skullgirls or any other fighting game and try blocking with a button..... OH WAIT.

. I use a different button so I'm better. Also, I've seen lots of Kung Lao players get beaten, now you're just picking hairs. Hes not invincible. Also, who cares if the combos are instant killers, it makes it possible for the fight to not be one sided because the other player isn't as fast.

Kung Lao is top tier and won Evo two years in a row. It doesn't matter if you seen Scrubby Kung lao's loose, he's easily still the best character in the game. Once again, your showing that stupid dumbass side of yourself. What your saying is that you don't want the better player to be reward for being.... the better player?

You're basically looking for games where it's " I get you first you're dead ". I'm pretty sure I've seen you bagging on COD before, because is so you're the biggest hypocrite in the world right now.

Who the hell even mentioned "one hit Ko"?

Get MK9 if your not serious about Fighting games and just want a game, get SF if your serious about Fighting games and would like to see progression in Street Fighter itself, and other fighting games.
Well you're right about that, SF isn't a game it's torture.

Your terrible scrubby ass arguments are torture to read as well.

Stop talking about The communities of each game. They are both equally bad. I could point out instances in both which show the stupidity of both communities but I'd rather not for the sake of time
Equally bad? How about no. The SF community is easily worse, and among the top along with the sonic fanbase. Yeah they're both bad, but at least the MK fanbase doesn't constantly feel the need to look at every new fighting game that comes out and call it shit because it's fair and allows people to have fun and the sake of crippling the poor little elites :(.

Oh please, this is another pot calling the kettle black. Your obviously trying to come at my neck for having an opinion of MK9 and SF. I can easily say HERRRR DURR MK COMMUNITY WORSE, BRAINDEAD. It can easily go back and forth.

Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.

For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-23 23:57:04

At 8/23/12 11:37 PM, Protagonist wrote:
At 8/23/12 10:49 PM, DarkShadowblade wrote: Your terrible scrubby ass arguments are torture to read as well.
I was going to respond to all your repeated paragraphs, but after reading this I cannot help but laugh. I can't take you seriously, because if you're going to use a word like "scrubby" in a serious argument, you're either 13 Or mentally retarded. I respect your opinion though, but you lack the ability to properly word it without coming off as an elitist dick, Or a fucking retard.

LOL Ok. You proved your a scrub throughout your entire post. It's ok being a less skilled player. FFS, you even think Mortal Kombat teaches you fundamentals and go off on some irrelevant tirade about One hit deaths that has no place in this argument and makes no sense.

it's adorable
"HERP DERP, GOT NO RESPONSE SO SINCE HE CALLED ME A NAME IM JUST GONNA CALL HIM OUT FOR IT HUEHEHUEHE"

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-24 00:30:20

Mortal Kombat because of the blood and gore

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-24 02:11:39

At 8/23/12 10:49 PM, DarkShadowblade wrote: Your terrible scrubby ass arguments are torture to read as well.
a fucking retard.

Nah dude you got it all twisted, YOU are the one trying to argue Mortal Kombat is a good fighting game.

I can understand if you confused yourself.

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-24 02:18:16

Skyrim is better.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-24 03:09:15

At 8/24/12 02:18 AM, WadeFulp wrote: Skyrim is better.

what a dick

Arise to sky and set free - Release toward horizon

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-24 11:23:39

At 8/24/12 02:11 AM, Gobblemeister wrote:
a fucking retard.
Nah dude you got it all twisted, YOU are the one trying to argue Mortal Kombat is a good fighting game.

I can understand if you confused yourself.

MK is by far the most casual friendly FG on the market (right next to Ultimate marvel). It's making casuals and inexperienced players with no knowledge of Fighting games and Game design try to insert their non-existant dominance into the Fighting game scene.

Herp derp the game which uses a button to block and has barely any game mechanics besides the obvious teaches fundamentals.

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-24 13:13:14

At 8/24/12 11:23 AM, DarkShadowblade wrote:
MK is by far the most casual friendly FG on the market (right next to Ultimate marvel). It's making casuals and inexperienced players with no knowledge of Fighting games and Game design try to insert their non-existant dominance into the Fighting game scene.

So it's wrong to play fighters that aren't on a "professional level". By doing so we're a disgrace to the FG community, gotcha.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-24 15:20:05

At 8/24/12 01:13 PM, II2none wrote:
So it's wrong to play fighters that aren't on a "professional level". By doing so we're a disgrace to the FG community, gotcha.

You're not wrong for liking it, even I think it's a pretty decent game.

You'd just be wrong to say it is any way Street Fighter's superior.

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-24 15:42:36

At 8/24/12 03:20 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:

You'd just be wrong to say it is any way Street Fighter's superior.

I guess when it comes to a technical standpoint, yeah. I'm not into SF like that to look at it with objectivity.

QOTW:

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-24 15:43:14

A fighting game just isn't a fighting game if someone dies. Also Mortal Kombat is plain annoying. Now when people play they just juggle the opposite character and then the other character does the same. It is boring to watch. Not that Street Fighter is any better at preventing this but their characters have more diverse backgrounds and even if some move sets are recycled they are interesting to play around with. Plus the artistic style of SF4 and SXT is amazing.

I just don't have the same sense of wonder or a competitive drive when playing Mortal Kombat compared to when I play Street Fighter

Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-24 16:27:24

In the past, I never played Mortal Kombat at all so I would've go with Street Fighter. Even today, I will still go with Street Fighter over Mortal Kombat, but I still believe that the MK's story and characters are more intriguing than what SF had. The main difference is that most of the SF games rely more on skill and ability, than MK which tend to reward players being cheap, because the AI is rather cheap themselves, especially before Deadly Alliance.

TBH though, I much prefer KOF, {2006 and before} Samurai Shodown and BlazBlue, over either Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, so I guess my argument would be considered moot.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-24 21:59:46

Mortal Kombat for having the greatest Ki powers out of most games

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-25 00:59:20

At 8/24/12 01:13 PM, II2none wrote:

FFS, I swear this board is filled with trolls and idiots who have no clue what "reading Comprehension" is.

Did I say it was wrong to say Fighters on a professional level or did I say it was wrong for inexperienced players with no knowledge of fighting gamesw trying to insert their non-existant dominance into the Fighting game scene? You, and Protaganist are a great example of my point. Stop trying to insert your lack of Fighting game knowledge into a thread to try to argue against me.

Learn your shit, learn what reading comprehension is and then come and read and respond correctly to my post.

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-25 01:44:02

At 8/20/12 11:09 AM, TheMajormel wrote: Mortal kombat has a good story, but that's it. I don't like the slow combat and it's not fast paced enough for me.
Street fighter on the other hand , has fast combat, tight control and better balance( The only MK game I played is "MK vs DC" and the only street fighter game I played is "SF X TK" ) So that's just me.

To elaborate this more, Street fighter X Tekken is hardcore, but it's controls were made for casuals in mind, since you can customize the quick combo buttons to use any combo you like. The game is awfully fun to play, and I felt more work was put into that game more than MK9

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-26 00:38:27

At 8/25/12 12:59 AM, DarkShadowblade wrote:
Learn your shit, learn what reading comprehension is and then come and read and respond correctly to my post.

kind of hard to comprehend your stance when you post like shit sometimes (proofread). Anyway you make it sound as if you can't learn anything from any fighter other then SF which is BS.

QOTW:

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-26 02:04:52

Evo is the biggest fighting game tournament there is. Street fighter has been there every year since the tournament BEGAN. Mortal Kombat had only been added in this year. Smash bros has been in longer, that's pretty sad tournament wise.

Join the Magikarp Army.

Psn: Creepydentures , Mostly play fighting games(Mvc3, street fighter 3, JJBA)

3ds: 4382 - 2022 - 6462 - Simons

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-26 03:16:38

I've never been all that keen on MK - not that it's a bad game or anything, it's just not my cup of tea. SF II was the first fighter I ever played, so perhaps I'm a little biased. '^_^

At 8/19/12 09:30 PM, Cootie wrote: shitty ass Soul Calibur.

Quick question. Have you played any of the SC games before IV?

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-26 08:46:50

At 8/25/12 05:26 AM, Protagonist wrote:
At 8/25/12 12:59 AM, DarkShadowblade wrote: Did I say it was wrong to say Fighters on a professional level or did I say it was wrong for inexperienced players with no knowledge of fighting gamesw trying to insert their non-existant dominance into the Fighting game scene? You, and Protaganist are a great example of my point. Stop trying to insert your lack of Fighting game knowledge into a thread to try to argue against me.

Oh for fucks sake, you're the one with no reading comprehension. That's the reason I stopped responding to you, you spouted some nonsense about me complaining about 1 hit KO's when I had never mentioned it. But that's not the point right now. First off, get off the elitism high horse.

Fighting games are just GAMES, that is all they are

Games make people money and Have made me money in the past, you're point?

. Second, you know nothing of my experience in fighting games, Or how skilled I am. Third, for fucks sake they're GAMES.

I can tell your a casual.

You're missing the goddamn point we're trying to make here. Mortal Kombat is a better GAME.

No, on a technical standing it is not a better game.
You know why? Because its made so that you don't have to be GOOD to play it

. I wasn't exactly saying Mortal Kombat is harder than SF

It''s not.

, I was saying that you saying it requires no skill at all is stupid. IMO, I think SF doesn't take a lot of skill, because it's easy to lock people into infinite combos, hence my reference to COD. I wasn't talking about 1 hit kills, I was referencing to the fact that it's first come first win.

You have to be the dumbest person I have ever talked to. There IS NO INFINITE COMBO IN STREET FIGHTER. Hell, past your regular ABC Combo, your dealing with 1 FRAME LINKS AND JUST FRAME LINKS. Please shut the hell up about things you don't understand. Kthx.

The first guy who gets an infinite combo usually wins, and those are more prevalent in SF than in MK

You're an idiot. SSF4 AE 2012 contains No infinites. Infact, in SSF4 AE Chunli had an infinite, but it required extremely hard execution and just frame links. Thanks for having no clue what your talking about.

. Sure MK has zoning, but even so any real good player could easily circumvent this by not being so predictable.

Did I not just say that top 8 of EVO contained 6 zoners out of the 8 players? Do you read?

Why am I arguing with someone who has no idea wtf he is talking about?

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-26 08:50:02

At 8/26/12 12:38 AM, II2none wrote:
At 8/25/12 12:59 AM, DarkShadowblade wrote:
kind of hard to comprehend your stance when you post like shit sometimes (proofread). Anyway you make it sound as if you can't learn anything from any fighter other then SF which is BS.

Congrats, another dumbass post! Did I say MK doesn't teach you anything or did I say it doesn't teach you fundamentals? FFS, you like the other dumbass lacks reading comprehension.

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-26 14:52:58

At 8/26/12 08:50 AM, DarkShadowblade wrote: Congrats, another dumbass post! Did I say MK doesn't teach you anything or did I say it doesn't teach you fundamentals? FFS, you like the other dumbass lacks reading comprehension.

The fundamentals based on what? Each game has their own fundamentals.

QOTW:

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-26 20:47:18

Jesus, you guys are putting way too much time and passion into an argument over some freaking games.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-26 20:51:32

At 8/26/12 03:02 PM, Protagonist wrote: Dark Shadowblade: Everything I say is right, if you're wrong you're an IDIOT! lolol games need elitism to be good.

Keep spouting the same arguments, and for gods sake proof read your posts

Nah, I rather have somewhat understandable posts rather then terrible posts that contain completely unfactual information.

. If you're going to call people an idiot, learn the different between your and you're. Either way, you keep repeating yourself and not adding anything new to the argument.

I'm disputing your argument while you have yet to refute any of mine. Please try harder.

You fail to see any point anyone else is trying to make, and you wont shut the hell up about how l33t you are ( despite how irrelevant it is ) and putting brands on people you don't know in real life.

Never said L33t or any of that BS. I said SF has made me money in the past and it's evident you are terrible at the game and lack knowledge on Both SF and Mortal Kombat.

Oh and by the way, being good at one game doesn't make you the worlds best player.''

Thank you, Captain of the U.S Obvious. Please continue to tell me that being good at basketball, does not make you the world's best basketball player. Please continue to tell me that being good at golf doesn't make you the best golfer, etc.

I may not be better than you in SF, but there are tons of games I can be miles ahead of you in skill in.

Insulting my skill at games without a shred of factual or textual evidence... Great argument here, wtf are you? 13? Thank you for proving my point of you being a scrub @ SF!

Fighting games are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to E-sports, so get off your high horse. You ain't anything special.

lolno. FGC> Esports

"WAAAH SOMEONE PROVED ALL MY BULLSHIT ARGUMENTS WRONG, WAAAAH"
"I got it! I'll insult his gaming skills and bring not a single piece of factual evidence to the table! Yeah! That'll shut him up!"

Continue being wrong plz.

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-26 21:00:18

At 8/26/12 02:52 PM, II2none wrote:
At 8/26/12 08:50 AM, DarkShadowblade wrote: Congrats, another dumbass post! Did I say MK doesn't teach you anything or did I say it doesn't teach you fundamentals? FFS, you like the other dumbass lacks reading comprehension.
The fundamentals based on what? Each game has their own fundamentals.

Most Fighting games are based concrete elements that carry on from game to game. Fundamentals in Fighting games are described as Those things that carry on from most game to game (Footsies, Combos, etc.). SF teaches most Fighting game players the MOST fundamentals that will carry on from game to game.

In SF, you have to worry about all of these things that will carry on to game to game
Footsies
Links
Hit Confirming
Frame data
Proper Blocking
Execution
Proraition
Hitstun
etc.

The only thing that Really carries over from MK is Zoning and footsies. MK has no execution barrier, and none of the other things that I have mentioned.

The forum is a PLACE for discussion and debating, why the hell is it odd for people to be discussing and debating games? Games are just another medium for competition.

BBS Signature

Response to Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2012-08-29 16:14:12

At 8/26/12 09:28 PM, Protagonist wrote:
At 8/26/12 08:51 PM, DarkShadowblade wrote: Continue being wrong plz.
lol. E-sports are significant, and you aren't either. This whole argument you've pretty much ignored all mine and continued to talk about how important these things are to fighting games.

Wrong, I have constantly addressed every aspect of each of your arguments. Doesn't help much that all of them are wrong and have no factual evidence though,

News flash, games are for fun, not for wanna-be basement atheletes.

Games are fun, but getting paid for gaming is fun too.

:Which you AREN'T apart of. You ask for evidence of my skill, I don't care to show because i don't give a fuck.

Because you lack skill and have no basis to argue off of.

You whoever claim you're so MLG e-sports champion. Please give some of the evidence you've been asking me to show.

lol MLG in FIghting games. Did I not give you factual Frame data time and time and again? Please show me any shred of evidence you have displayed throughout this entire argument.

By all means, show me, what you have that's so significant that I would be genuinely amazed at the amount of skill you have In SF and fighting games as a whole. Otherwise, shut the fuck up about how scrubby that is, and how l33t this is.

You mentioned "l33t", you are a scrub because you obviously lack knowledge of the game you are arguing against.

Thank you for proving my point.

BBS Signature