00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dialusional just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is This Good Shading?

5,111 Views | 67 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-16 23:25:47

I want some comments on the shading of this piece. It's only a preview, and it's not done, but any advice you could give for let's say, the feathers, that would be very helpful!

Is This Good Shading?

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-17 01:08:04

Is the shading any good?

In a short answer, no. In a one word letter longer than the last answer, hell no.

The biggest issue is you have light bouncing all over the place.
I've illustrated some of the multiple light sources you have in your picture. Their is no consistency.
For the most part, your only going to need one Key light. And if you feel that isn't enough Try looking in to basic Three Point Lighting.
Those two should solve most of your basic lighting situations. Get those down before worrying about anything more fancy.

You want some other advice? Stop making threads for every damn little thing. Its annoying. Since the mods are obviously being as nice as they can, I'm sure pushing your luck with all these little threads isn't going to raise your standing with anyone. So Pick a thread and stick to it.

Is This Good Shading?

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-17 07:22:55

You want some other advice? Stop making threads for every damn little thing. Its annoying. Since the mods are obviously being as nice as they can, I'm sure pushing your luck with all these little threads isn't going to raise your standing with anyone. So Pick a thread and stick to it.

I appreciate you trying to help, but please don't curse at me. I'm not doing anything wrong.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-17 08:32:11

At 8/17/12 07:22 AM, HiryuGouki wrote:
I appreciate you trying to help, but please don't curse at me. I'm not doing anything wrong.

Aside from the shading and not sticking to one thread?

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-17 08:44:25

I think shading is the least of your problems, since you still haven't been able to correct your anatomy. It still needs some serious work.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-17 09:50:51

At 8/17/12 08:44 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: I think shading is the least of your problems, since you still haven't been able to correct your anatomy. It still needs some serious work.

So you say.

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-17 11:06:08

At 8/17/12 09:50 AM, HiryuGouki wrote:
At 8/17/12 08:44 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: I think shading is the least of your problems, since you still haven't been able to correct your anatomy. It still needs some serious work.
So you say.

Yes.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-17 11:17:35

At 8/17/12 07:22 AM, HiryuGouki wrote:

whas a matta, poor baby can't handle some bad words, daww, I'm sworry I'll be sure to try and be nwice to you widdle childwren.

fucking kids these days.

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-17 11:38:25

SIGH
Take it easy, people!
Anyhow. The sketch is nice. but you really need to work harder on the shadings (you can start at the COLORS etc.)
Try reading any tutorials or something.

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-17 12:58:24

At 8/17/12 09:50 AM, HiryuGouki wrote:
So you say.

No, it's true.

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-17 14:21:54

I think what poeple are trying to tell you is that it's no real use knowing how to shade if you don't know where to shade (or something along those lines). i.e. If you understand anatomy you'll get a better grip on which areas are light/dark.
That being said, if you want to practice shading you should start doing so on simple objects; cubes, balls, cylinders. After that you move on to more complex shapes suchs as fruit or some simple still life after that you can start on human figures.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-18 02:56:52

Gonna have to agree with Kinsei, the lighting looks too forced, as if she's posing for a photoshoot with a million strobe lights.

My YouTube Channel feel free to support me on Ko-Fi

I do video essays on ATLUS games

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-24 00:59:05

Here's the finished product.

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-24 00:59:49

Referring to your finished product. You should have kept coming back for advice.

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-24 01:00:40

At 8/24/12 12:59 AM, HiryuGouki wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/hiryugouki/the-creek-of-s tyx
Here's the finished product.

i don't know man , i found it good but not awesome , i think it need something , but good work anyways (i can barely paint a drawing ,so,in that part i can say anything about it )

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-24 01:11:17

At 8/24/12 12:59 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: Referring to your finished product. You should have kept coming back for advice.

Well shit, that didn't take long. Its gotta be a new personal best time for you gouki.

Is This Good Shading?

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-24 01:18:12

At 8/24/12 01:11 AM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 8/24/12 12:59 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: Referring to your finished product. You should have kept coming back for advice.
Well shit, that didn't take long. Its gotta be a new personal best time for you gouki.

I'm going to re-upload it with a different background. I'm going to give it another shot. Any tutorials on water DRAWING?

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-24 01:22:59

At 8/24/12 01:18 AM, HiryuGouki wrote: Any tutorials on water DRAWING?

Take your Pick

I'm liking this one to start with

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-24 01:24:49

At 8/24/12 01:22 AM, Kinsei01 wrote:
Take your Pick

While I'm working on this one, I'll draw another sketch of a character I have had in my head for about a week that HAS to come out now.

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-24 15:08:42

At 8/24/12 01:24 AM, HiryuGouki wrote:
At 8/24/12 01:22 AM, Kinsei01 wrote:
Take your Pick

While I'm working on this one, I'll draw another sketch of a character I have had in my head for about a week that HAS to come out now.

try landscape painting, you learn alot about diverse lighting and understanding the whole composition.

My YouTube Channel feel free to support me on Ko-Fi

I do video essays on ATLUS games

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-24 15:21:57

*sigh* Now I'm remembering why I disappeared off the NG forums months ago.

Anyways, some nice calm and completely polite advice. I find the shading is a little too light. Maybe it's just my computer, but many parts are barely visible. I'm not great with shading myself though, and still learning to do it properly digitally, so this might not be the best critique/advice.

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-24 17:22:09

wtf happened? there were other posts in this thread? I never saw mods delete a bunch of posts in a thread without the thread being locked/deleted. didnt even know it was possible.

funny stuff

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-24 17:43:58

try landscape painting, you learn alot about diverse lighting and understanding the whole composition.

I'll do both instead. I need to draw this character. Furthermore, what's the quickest way to learn landscapes?

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-24 17:54:00

At 8/24/12 05:43 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Furthermore, what's the quickest way to learn landscapes?

Sacrificing small animals on the steps of the Louvre to the gods of art...

That or actually studying and practicing for a long periods of time.

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-24 18:03:14

I don't HAVE a long period of time.

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-24 18:05:46

You know what? Fuck it. I'll just post the character instead. I don't have time to waste on a background.

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-24 18:11:41

At 8/24/12 06:03 PM, HiryuGouki wrote:

That sounds like a personal problem. Art, any art, isn't something mastered over night, and being an artist isn't something you can take a shortcut on. If you don't want to put in the time and energy, then why are you wasting our time?

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-24 18:17:44

That sounds like a personal problem. Art, any art, isn't something mastered over night, and being an artist isn't something you can take a shortcut on. If you don't want to put in the time and energy, then why are you wasting our time?

Thing is, I plan on using my art for video games very soon. That's why I don't have a lot of time to master all of this stuff. Add to that college, getting my driver's license and a bunch of other major life events, no matter how much I want to, I just do not have the time. I have the time for characters, that's for sure. I will find some way to squeeze practice in, but it's going to take a long time before I have the required free time needed. So, my art posts will be very limited here. It's not that I don't want to practice, time is what's the issue here.

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-24 18:30:40

Forget the background. Just focus on the character for this piece please. I am practicing backgrounds at some point this weekend, along with drawing my nautical themed character (I promise it will be very unlike anything you've seen so far). Again, please only focus on the character. I didn't want to waste anymore time on this one, because I really need to get a move on.

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Good Shading? 2012-08-24 19:15:06

At 8/24/12 05:54 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Sacrificing small animals on the steps of the Louvre to the gods of art...

I could have...? Why didn't anyone tell me!