00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sinbad118 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My Art (critique or vouch)

1,664 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-09 00:13:15

This is my newest piece of my 'Urgorn' art, titled "Back Off". I put this and my first one, 'Shooter's Revenge', on my page. Please leave some constructive criticism, and if you like it enough (and believe me, I'll be uploading more) please vouch! :P

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-09 00:25:17

though basic, the lineart is ok, you should colour the cloth as you coloured the skin

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-09 00:29:42

meh, its alright I guess. You need a lot of study and practice. Start by learning the basics of art. Study and master them. Its a long and hard process, but one that every body has to complete to become a good artist.
Not worth vouching for though. Perhaps once you get a few months of real hard practice in.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-09 00:45:14

Anatomy-wise, there's a system of proportions most artists learn before being able to depict the human body realistically that you might find useful. For example (assuming someone is standing up straight and facing forward, arms down), the human body is approximately 7.5 heads tall (although many people choose to draw them 8 heads), and the wrists and the bottom of the groin are approximately halfway up the body. Knees are a quarter of the way up. For faces, the eyes are halfway down the head. The nose ends halfway between the eyes and the chin. Split the area between the nose and chin into three. I'd put the lips on both sides of a third of the way docwn, and the narrowing of the chin on the other third.
The face should be five eyes across, with an eye's width of space fitting between the two actual eyes. Assuming the mouth is relaxed and not smiling or frowning, the corners of the lips should line up with center of the eyes.

Keep in mind different artists use slightly different systems, and that human bodies vary a little bit.

I'm assuming that when you ask about vouching you're asking for someone to sout you. I recommend you don't do this- it's against our rules.

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-09 08:45:47

At 8/9/12 12:25 AM, kakalxlax wrote: though basic, the lineart is ok, you should colour the cloth as you coloured the skin

I WOULD have done the cloth the same as the skin, but I liked the way the brown looks, it makes it look more like a leather jacket. If I wanted to I could just use a fill tool to fill everything, but it looks a bit meh then.

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-09 14:44:08

At 8/9/12 08:45 AM, Urgorn wrote:
At 8/9/12 12:25 AM, kakalxlax wrote: though basic, the lineart is ok, you should colour the cloth as you coloured the skin
I WOULD have done the cloth the same as the skin, but I liked the way the brown looks, it makes it look more like a leather jacket. If I wanted to I could just use a fill tool to fill everything, but it looks a bit meh then.

use different tones of brown then, because like that it looks like painted with a kids crayon

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-09 14:59:44

Try filling in the jacket with a darker brown and then painting the lighter brown on top.

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-09 21:39:32

At 8/9/12 12:13 AM, Urgorn wrote: This is my newest piece of my 'Urgorn' art, titled "Back Off". I put this and my first one, 'Shooter's Revenge', on my page. Please leave some constructive criticism, and if you like it enough (and believe me, I'll be uploading more) please vouch! :P

FIRST THING: DO NOT freak out over the weird legs. I kinda spaced out and forgot to use my usual method of using a lower layer for a wireframe skeleton. JUST. CRITIQUE. THE. LIGHTING. I experimented with my airbrush tool and managed to work on some lighting-type method. So yea, this is just about the coloring basically. Oh, and I used I fill tool instead of manually filling in the colors.
(God I hate this guy's hair. Too poofy. Like mine when it's long. Next one will be non-filled in hair....more anime style)
(This is titled "After Armageddon.")

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-09 21:49:07

At 8/9/12 09:39 PM, Urgorn wrote:
At 8/9/12 12:13 AM, Urgorn wrote: This is my newest piece of my 'Urgorn' art, titled "Back Off". I put this and my first one, 'Shooter's Revenge', on my page. Please leave some constructive criticism, and if you like it enough (and believe me, I'll be uploading more) please vouch! :P
FIRST THING: DO NOT freak out over the weird legs. I kinda spaced out and forgot to use my usual method of using a lower layer for a wireframe skeleton. JUST. CRITIQUE. THE. LIGHTING.

Touchy much?

With out digging too deep in to the lighting I'll say that it is just too subtle. Push it a little more to the extreme. Also I only see a highlight, you need at least some sort of shadow as well.
Here go over to CTRL+Paint and do their Digital Paint 101 it'll take about an hour to watch all the videos. He'll help you understand a bit more about the digital painting process. He also has a simple brush pack for download which works very, very well.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-09 22:09:25

FIRST THING: DO NOT freak out over the weird legs. I kinda spaced out and forgot to use my usual method of using a lower layer for a wireframe skeleton. JUST. CRITIQUE. THE. LIGHTING.
Touchy much?

With out digging too deep in to the lighting I'll say that it is just too subtle. Push it a little more to the extreme. Also I only see a highlight, you need at least some sort of shadow as well.
Here go over to CTRL+Paint and do their Digital Paint 101 it'll take about an hour to watch all the videos. He'll help you understand a bit more about the digital painting process. He also has a simple brush pack for download which works very, very well.

Touchy much? Lol, if I didn't mention the legs the trolls would be all over me and my soul would be consumed.....
Anywho, as for the tutorial, well, it's for Photoshop, I use Sketchbook Express...

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-09 22:24:45

At 8/9/12 10:09 PM, Urgorn wrote: Anywho, as for the tutorial, well, it's for Photoshop, I use Sketchbook Express...

Same principles still pretty much apply. Locate the similar tools in Sketchbook and go from there. Express is a lite version of Pro, so it might be helpful to look up tutorials for Sketchbook Pro. Get more in depth knowledge of your program.

You may also want to consider going to something like GIMP, or upgrade To Pro or Photoshop for the expanded features if you want to get more serious about this.
Here is a list of programs, both free and not, that you may want to look in to to expand your arsenal Art101 Listand Deemer's List Good luck practicing.

BBS Signature

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-09 22:37:11

FIRST THING: DO NOT freak out over the weird legs. I kinda spaced out and forgot to use my usual method of using a lower layer for a wireframe skeleton. JUST. CRITIQUE. THE. LIGHTING. I experimented with my airbrush tool and managed to work on some lighting-type method. So yea, this is just about the coloring basically. Oh, and I used I fill tool instead of manually filling in the colors.
(God I hate this guy's hair. Too poofy. Like mine when it's long. Next one will be non-filled in hair....more anime style)
(This is titled "After Armageddon.")

Why would you bother uploading something unfinished? The art forum isn't going to forget you that fast, anyway I'll critique your lighting you spazz.

when you digitally paint you need to blend the colors so they gradually become lighter and the light source is clearly determined

A set up I found useful when painting is

Paint (details, never use black or outline)
Lineart (remove when details show image in final form)
Base Paint

Right now you only have two layers and it's incredibly messy...And as you said I won't bother getting into your anatomy.

Something quick I did. When you get better you can do two layers (lineart)/(details/base paint).

Fruit is the best way to learn how to blend because they have such an amalgam of colors

My YouTube Channel feel free to support me on Ko-Fi

I do video essays on ATLUS games

BBS Signature

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-10 00:27:52

Best bet is to simply experiment with your drawing and see where the lighting takes you. I paint stair-step gradients.

Invent a light source, perhaps an overhead light bulb to fit the scene, and roll with it. Just make sure your shadows and highlights make sense with their relation to the position to your light. =)

At 8/9/12 10:37 PM, Absinthe wrote:
..JUST. CRITIQUE. THE. LIGHTING.
Fruit is the best way to learn how to blend because they have such an amalgam of colors

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-10 00:41:44

Your work is quite clumsy, you should work on that, try to develop OCD.

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-10 13:22:25

At 8/10/12 12:41 AM, M-Maher wrote: 7

Your work is quite clumsy, you should work on that, try to develop OCD.

Ha! Believe me, I have some serious OCD! rofl

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-13 16:57:42

Alright...
this is my newest one, and I did it the way I like so please mention everything (even the non-color stuff I mean)
I tried to be a BIT more extreme with the lighting, and also did it a slightly different method, although still using the same tool. What I did differently here that I've never done, however, is use the fill tool on the hair as well, which I wasn't fond of, but it came out ok I think.
(Once again he's wearing one of my shirts)
I call this "Bang Bang".

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-13 19:02:05

At 8/13/12 04:57 PM, Urgorn wrote: Alright...

does this mean youre not gonna improve your earlier pic on which everybody gave you advice?

I think the shades are hardly noticable. it needs stronger shades. Just try to shade it to the point you think its to much, it will still be to little (atleast thats always the case with me and since you hardly have a shade I am guessing you could use the same tactic)

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-14 00:37:39

I like that there's action in this new one. Thats good. Try giving it a background now. Its hard to critique without seeing a final piece. When you finish something completely then people will have a better understanding of your skill and be able to give you more helpful critique. While you've been getting a lot of criticism, I think its important to step back and saying that you're doing a very good job in trying to improve. Don't rush yourself. This takes time. I think you're going at this at a good rate. But don't burn yourself out friend.

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-14 01:02:05

I like this one a lot. The white background kills it for me, however. At least throw in a shadow :(

At 8/13/12 04:57 PM, Urgorn wrote: Alright...
I call this "Bang Bang".

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-15 10:12:50

At 8/14/12 01:02 AM, maficmelody wrote: I like this one a lot. The white background kills it for me, however. At least throw in a shadow :(

I did a little background thingy with this one...the canvas used to be bigger, and there was a technical in the background shooting at the guy, but my thing I'm so ashamed to call a "truck" came out, it just ruined the whole picture, so I took it out, cropped everything down, and now we have what I call "Frag Out"
How's the lighting now?

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-15 13:59:55

At 8/15/12 10:12 AM, Urgorn wrote: How's the lighting now?

Well... It all looks really flat. there is no depth at all... this new one looks exactly like the other ones... everyone has given you such awesome advice you should use and adjust what you are doing.

I suggest shading with 3 colors a dark, a base, and a light color. I could paint over this and show you what i mean if you like....

also...

Why are his clothes so lumpy?? Why is his crotch area so dark?? Why does he choose to wear such bright blue pants!?

:D

Like me on the FaceBook :D

Response to My Art (critique or vouch) 2012-08-15 14:16:00

Do you use a tablet to draw? You should sketch out your drawings first (with a tablet or in a sketchbook) to get the proportions right and then color them in photoshop. Making yourself do the pose helps you draw it as well. It makes you understand where your weight is, if you're balanced and which muscles are being used the most.