00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mike181 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Tomsan's designs thread

12,247 Views | 92 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Tomsan's designs thread 2012-07-31 14:26:42

So on request ill post my designs (dont dare to call it art) plus questions here. Enjoy. (ill include tags since NG gives good google ratings)

tags: Atomic Jesus, jesus, nuke, nuclear, tshirt, AK47, ak, crows, rainbow, awesome, tshirt, shirt

Tomsan's designs thread

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-07-31 14:47:54

Donnie Darko is my favorite movie

tags: chut up, shut, up, donnie, darko, movie, cool, awesome, chinese, joke, grappig, lustig, shut up, lol, nerdy, geek, geeky, nerd, moviefreak, freak, tshirt

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-07-31 14:52:09

btw I also use this as online showcase, so not everything will be artsy in the sense you would expect.

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-07-31 14:56:57

Gasmask, the exploding planet is very easy to create and looks pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBkri70uOfY

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-07-31 15:01:56

Donkey kong reflecting on life

tags: donkey, kong, donkey kong, Mario, super mario, tshirt, shirt,

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-07-31 15:31:39

I dont know what I have with bacon.

tags: cookies, Bacon, tshirt, text, cute

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-07-31 15:34:09

GOT is pretty awesome, but they could have included some more big fights which seem to happen but you dont see it.

tags: stark, eddard, winter is coming, game of thrones, got, summer, cool, beach, surf, surfboard, strand

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-07-31 16:21:18

I just want to point out that including "tags" with each post is not going to do anything for you.

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-07-31 17:48:59

At 7/31/12 04:21 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I just want to point out that including "tags" with each post is not going to do anything for you.

yes it will

very high in google image search, so are other posted pics. NG just scores good and I can use that.

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-07-31 17:51:32

were it all started...

tags: Bacon, spek, Speck, tree, nature, breakfast, ontbijt, graphic, funny, vegetarian, meat, meat eater, pig, cute, geeky, nerdy, geek, nerd, awesome, design, hillbilly, cool, vet

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-07-31 17:54:41

shading project, still listen to the beatles quite often.

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-08-03 16:08:02

Could use some tips on the eyes. she must look as 'cute' as possible. I used the graying technique learned here, but I think the eyes can do better. other tips? also welcome

for the rest I intentionally kept it simple

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-08-03 16:27:49

At 8/3/12 04:08 PM, Tomsan wrote: Could use some tips on the eyes. she must look as 'cute' as possible

Yeah, this doesn't look cute at all.

Try a more round head, big whiskers, get rid of the cheek fat lines that are on either side of its mouth. Bigger nose, either a ":3" face, and optional buckteeth below them.

Even for a cute little cartoon, you need to work on the anatomy. The body shape is lumpy, his front legs are two different thicknesses, and his back leg is just a disaster, sorry. The tail, if you're going for cute, should be more of a cloud-like fluffy, not just another sphere. His back leg is lower than his front legs, and he's missing a back leg.

The shading also seems arbitrary, without a real lightsource in mind. If you did a lightsource you were trying to follow, it has been executed badly. Speaking of, he also needs some shadow under him.

Don't forget to use references. Look at patterns and similarities, and use a lot of them to get some inspiration: 1 2 3 4 5

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-08-03 16:48:07

At 8/3/12 04:27 PM, Kashi wrote:
At 8/3/12 04:08 PM, Tomsan wrote: Could use some tips on the eyes. she must look as 'cute' as possible
Yeah, this doesn't look cute at all.

Try a more round head, big whiskers, get rid of the cheek fat lines that are on either side of its mouth. Bigger nose, either a ":3" face, and optional buckteeth below them.

Even for a cute little cartoon, you need to work on the anatomy. The body shape is lumpy, his front legs are two different thicknesses, and his back leg is just a disaster, sorry. The tail, if you're going for cute, should be more of a cloud-like fluffy, not just another sphere. His back leg is lower than his front legs, and he's missing a back leg.

The shading also seems arbitrary, without a real lightsource in mind. If you did a lightsource you were trying to follow, it has been executed badly. Speaking of, he also needs some shadow under him.

Don't forget to use references. Look at patterns and similarities, and use a lot of them to get some inspiration: 1 2 3 4 5

good, thanks, I thought you were mad at me ;)

I agree with most. I think I can fix the problem with the backleg by lowering the belly line a bit. That would also take care of the invisible backleg, wich would then be rightfully invisible. I'll see how I change this for the better.

the (our) right frontleg is weird I saw that when uploading to NG, funny I didnt see it earlier. needs work for sure

I'll try whiskers, I did think about it, but I thought it would make it to messy, for such a 'clean' picture.

I do like the cheek lines, I'm sad you dont, luckily you didnt say anything about the ears which were a bitch for me.

I am not sure how I am (in your vision) supposed to change the tail. please bear in mind that I 'have' to stroke the picture.

I did use about 4 reference pictures, one of which linked by you as well, I dont really see problems with the shading. I will however take another good look at it.

thanks, really helpful

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-08-03 17:05:51

ill work on it more tomorrow, I quickly tried to implement what you suggested as much as I could.

I am not sure about the whiskers though.

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-08-03 19:16:24

At 8/3/12 05:05 PM, Tomsan wrote: I quickly tried to implement what you suggested as much as I could.

Not as much as you could have.

Why did you think I was mad at you, btw?

Tomsan's designs thread

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-08-03 20:26:39

At 8/3/12 07:16 PM, Kashi wrote:
At 8/3/12 05:05 PM, Tomsan wrote: I quickly tried to implement what you suggested as much as I could.
Not as much as you could have.
Why did you think I was mad at you, btw?
At 7/30/12 04:53 PM, Kashi wrote: Stop making new threads for all of your art

Nice, like i said will work on it tomorrow. Will be difficult not to copy you to much, yours look very good. Also i now see how retarded the leg looks in comparison. Thx 4 that. And thx for the set-up

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-08-05 08:25:43

end result. I wasnt able to really make the changes I wanted, but I am currently working on a mac, and I absolutely hate it. I have this HUGE 27inch screen half a meter in front of my face. I just cant work on it. So I fixed the leg and didnt do much else really. maybe ill change it some other time.

I would like input on which version is better, with whiskers or without.

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-08-05 08:26:50

Whiskers

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-08-08 13:44:24

Question time again....

Could someone plz give me advice on how to proceed with the hair. I do like the outline of the hair, but I am not happy with the coloring. plz comment on this.

does anyone have good tutorials on blood making. You think I should keep a little transparancy on the horn, or just make it red (100% opacy)? I didnt work on the blood really, but hopefully someone has ideas on how to fill this.

horse isnt finished completely, but other comments are also welcome

the horse isnt completely my own design I mainly used this as reference. I tried to make it my own as much as possible

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-08-08 18:04:30

At 8/8/12 01:44 PM, Tomsan wrote: Question time again....

I would really really appreciate help on the blood (and hair). I have watched and read several tutorials now but they are not really applicable. to simple or just not possible.

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-08-08 19:47:21

gotta look something like this

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-08-09 07:28:47

At 8/8/12 07:47 PM, Tomsan wrote: gotta look something like this

I dont wanna impose, and this will be my last bump for this, but if any of you would like to comment/ advice it would be appreciated.

Blood is oke I guess since it is just a small portion of the picture. Hair highlights could use 'something' . I am also not sure if I should add some more lines, highlights, shades on the body part. looks a bit flat.

anyways, same picture different color.

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-08-21 12:25:06

new pic... These are the basic shapes and colors, obviously I need to work on the colors, these are just the basics.

I wanted a sunset, but this leaves me with some issues on the coloring. When I put the sun there, the colors of the object will be without much dept I assume. there are no real shadows on the objects 'cause everything you see will be in the shade.

I could probably make some stuff work on the waves and tree, but the van and boards, well theyll just be fully shaded. (when I look at references often all object are just made black)

So my question is, can I still create good depth with this light source? I am doubting if I should remove the sun all together and choose my own lightsource.

plz advice

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-08-22 15:10:56

made another design in the meanwhile. still taking advice, not to happy about the cut in the mushroom.

also, I would really appreciate help on the beach pic, I cant go further atm.

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-08-28 12:31:18

ughh, I am trying to look at references and real life pictures but I cant figure this out. can someone plz tell me how I should draw those GD backlegs??

obviously pic isnt finished at all, I just need some feedback on the hind legs. I tried more versions then these, but they were worse

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-08-28 13:37:30

At 8/28/12 12:31 PM, Tomsan wrote: ughh, I am trying to look at references and real life pictures but I cant figure this out. can someone plz tell me how I should draw those GD backlegs??

obviously pic isnt finished at all, I just need some feedback on the hind legs. I tried more versions then these, but they were worse

The second one (top right) looks best out of them all. If you can't find any good reference images of the cats, you can always look at artists representation of the pose you're trying to do.

http://tasteslikeanya.deviantart.com/art/FT-Sitting-Contentl y-289378827?q=boost%3Apopular%20sitting%20cat&qo=8

http://meeshapom.deviantart.com/art/free-sitting-cat-lineart -170594517?q=boost%3Apopular%20sitting%20cat&qo=30

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-08-28 14:52:44

It might help if you break things down into basic shapes first. Get all the areas in place before you start personalizing it. If the foundation is fairly solid, the rest should follow.

meow

Tomsan's designs thread

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-08-30 14:02:05

At 8/28/12 02:52 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: It might help if you break things down into basic shapes first. Get all the areas in place before you start personalizing it. If the foundation is fairly solid, the rest should follow.

meow

thanks a bunch, srry for belated response, but didnt have time to implement your advice, today I did have time.

I did what you said, I made circular shapes. after that I didnt really know what to do with it so I just drew the individual body parts seperately using your pic as reference and my own circular shapes.

After I had my body and hind legs I tried not to look at your pic anymore, but i also didnt really make use of my 'circular shapes cat'.

For the face I heavily relied on your pic. NOt so much for the outer shape (in the sense that I didnt look at your pic the whole time). for his facial features I just couldnt resist.

I know 'her' forehead is a tad large, but I kinda like it that way.

not done yet will work on the feet, shading and background. Hope you can comment at that as well once its done.

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature

Response to Tomsan's designs thread 2012-08-30 16:43:15

will become something like this.

Tomsan's designs thread

BBS Signature