00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dynamic Text Help As2

783 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Dynamic Text Help As2 2012-07-09 23:48:51

Okay, I have a game called The Button Game, from my computer, all the dynamic text boxes look good with the font that i installed, but when my friends play, they say that the game has 2 different fonts, one looks really bad. A friend told me i had to embed the font into a swf, so everyone gets the same fonts as me. But I don't know how. Please help someone.

Response to Dynamic Text Help As2 2012-07-10 01:20:57

You should only come to the forums it it's a last resort. Only if you really tried to figure it out yourself or look it up.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature

Response to Dynamic Text Help As2 2012-07-10 03:31:33

At 7/10/12 01:20 AM, MintPaw wrote: You should only come to the forums it it's a last resort. Only if you really tried to figure it out yourself or look it up.

You should only respond to questions with answers and explanations. If you believe the person hasn't researched enough and does not deserve the minute of your time that it takes to write a response that satisfies the criteria, then leave it unanswered.

In response to the question, the reason that some of the font appears fine and some doesn't is because flash only loads the font symbols that are explicitly present in your file. By having dynamically displaying text, flash will have nothing to call on when there is a request for that symbol so it throws a substituted font out there. To avoid this you need to add all of the symbols that you are going to allow into the library.

This is done by going to Text > Font Embedding or Right click in the library and selecting New Font. From there you can select the font you want to use and all of the symbols you want to include as well as the ActionScript linkages if you wish to change fonts dynamically. Assuming you have the text boxes already created in movieclips, make sure the font for them is set to the name of the new library font.

An alternate hack way is to have a text box at some point off the stage with all the characters you want to display so that it loads them in. Though I'm not sure how well this works.

BBS Signature

Response to Dynamic Text Help As2 2012-07-10 11:30:29

At 7/10/12 03:31 AM, Ssilver7 wrote:
At 7/10/12 01:20 AM, MintPaw wrote: You should only come to the forums it it's a last resort. Only if you really tried to figure it out yourself or look it up.
You should only respond to questions with answers and explanations. If you believe the person hasn't researched enough and does not deserve the minute of your time that it takes to write a response that satisfies the criteria, then leave it unanswered.

I'm trying to teach other to find their own help and generally figure out how to do things on their own, if not you'll see a post from this guy twice a day asking how to do one or two little things.

A big part of game development is trial and error and learning how to do things on your own. I don't hand out large sections of code, and I won't type paragraph of instructional information when I can just link to it. If you don't like it then you can come behind me and give detailed and specific answers to every one that I link to a tut, don't come telling me about it everytime.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature

Response to Dynamic Text Help As2 2012-07-11 01:17:44

At 7/10/12 11:30 AM, MintPaw wrote: I'm trying to teach other to find their own help and generally figure out how to do things on their own, if not you'll see a post from this guy twice a day asking how to do one or two little things.

You aren't doing anything of the sort. Telling someone off and putting up a condesending link is neither teaching or helpful. All you are accomplishing is closing off the community to those who are unsure by making them think that they won't receive any support and just get abuse for asking. The forum seems to be dead enough as it is.

I understand that there are people that do post frequently, essentially getting people to build their game for them, segment at a time, but you have to give them the benefit of the doubt with at least the first question.

A big part of game development is trial and error and learning how to do things on your own. I don't hand out large sections of code, and I won't type paragraph of instructional information when I can just link to it. If you don't like it then you can come behind me and give detailed and specific answers to every one that I link to a tut, don't come telling me about it everytime.

A big part of everything is trial and error, you're stating the obvious but by giving problem specific advice hopefully the person can actually learn something rather than just fix a problem in some way they don't understand. You didn't even link to a tutorial, you linked to a drawn out google redirect, which shows that you went out of your way to be a complete arsehole.

My pointing out your poor behavior has the same goal as my explanation to the original question. I hope that you learn that being an arrogant prick is not conducive to a productive community environment nor is it appreciated by those asking questions.

BBS Signature

Response to Dynamic Text Help As2 2012-07-11 02:14:52

At 7/11/12 01:17 AM, Ssilver7 wrote:
At 7/10/12 11:30 AM, MintPaw wrote: I'm trying to teach other to find their own help and generally figure out how to do things on their own, if not you'll see a post from this guy twice a day asking how to do one or two little things.
You aren't doing anything of the sort. Telling someone off and putting up a condesending link is neither teaching or helpful. All you are accomplishing is closing off the community to those who are unsure by making them think that they won't receive any support and just get abuse for asking. The forum seems to be dead enough as it is.

I don't care what you think, as I said, come behind me and clean up if you want

I understand that there are people that do post frequently, essentially getting people to build their game for them, segment at a time, but you have to give them the benefit of the doubt with at least the first question.

I didn't even tell him off, I even said please, I was trying to inform him not to make pointless threads. Give me an example of a nicer way to say that.

A big part of everything is trial and error, you're stating the obvious but by giving problem specific advice hopefully the person can actually learn something rather than just fix a problem in some way they don't understand. You didn't even link to a tutorial, you linked to a drawn out google redirect, which shows that you went out of your way to be a complete arsehole.

You'd have to be brain dead to not instantly find the information he wanted after one click on my link, all things considered I thoroughly answered his question.

My pointing out your poor behavior has the same goal as my explanation to the original question. I hope that you learn that being an arrogant prick is not conducive to a productive community environment nor is it appreciated by those asking questions.

I'm not here to help you unless you have a question, I'm telling you to can it unless you have a question you want me to answer and not a lecture to give.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature