00:00
00:00

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Beat up Anita Sarkeesian

43,908 Views | 68 Replies

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-15 17:46:51

At 7/15/12 04:06 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: Probably was, but again: Since when did NG give a shit about legal threats? Has this place since pussied out on us?

What, you don't remember "telebubby" fun land? As for Penny Bain, she was trying to take down a significant portion of Newgrounds, not just a single piece of inconsequential content.

I mean, 60,000 for some YouTube videos? What the hell for? The Forsaken City was gonna use state-of-the-art cinematic techniques and effects for the entire series, and the budget for even that only amounted to half of what she's asking for.

She asked for six thousand (which is fairly reasonable for what she was proposing) and ended up with something like 180k. Most people are attributing this to the "Streisand Effect," i.e. the added attention from the controversy lead to her receiving donations which wildly exceeded what she was asking for. What remains to be seen is whether or not she will actually put all of the money she received to good use (probably not). It's hard to say she was ripping people off when she just said "I want money to do this" then people who were interested gave her some money.

Dead.

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-15 21:11:05

Morality aside, I think it's absolutely ridiculous for a flash like that to be removed after this site has built up part of it's reputation from being offensive. Wasn't there a flash where they parodied a situation where a little kid stabbed his father for a piece of chocolate cake? I don't know if it's still here or not, but I don't know why Tom or whoever is all of a sudden cool with getting rid of what was just another one of the hundreds of crappy, violent flashes that really pose no threat at all. It's like throwing away everything that got you where you were because your new friends don't approve, and frankly, that's just stupid.

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2012-07-15 21:22:08

At 7/15/12 04:13 PM, DarkShadowblade wrote: Do you mind linking me to this debate? I don't watch/know of The Amazing Athiest besides of the video I saw here.

Type in "Amazing Athiest Debate" on youtube. There's two videos and they're both an hour so i don't feel like combining through them, but in one of them he just gets absolutely humiliated.

"Guns don't kill people, the government does."

- Dale Gribble

Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2014-11-14 14:58:44

At 7/6/12 06:32 PM, macmillion wrote: From what I understand, Newgrounds hasn't had any negative coverage on a hateful submission for a while now. Maybe overtime people had became immune to it and now that it's back all of a sudden coverage has gone back up.

I don't know if this is still the direction Tom wants to take with the site, he has probably matured to the point where he doesn't fully back shocking and violent things like that here. But whether he does or not, the actions of one or a few individuals shouldn't define what the whole site and everyone on it are about.

Looks to me like a few individuals took it upon themselves to decide what everyone else should get to do. Now we don't have a game because someone got their panties in a twist. There was nothing shocking about beat up Anita. But you go ahead and tell yourself that censoring is okay.

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2014-11-14 15:11:10

To me, it comes down to the idea that censorship is largely (largely, not entirely mind you) an overblown attempt to try and hide from satire, profanity, extremity and vitriol.

Now, I understand that revealing personally hurtful details about someone's life and, say, national defense secrets is obviously unethical.

That said, I think that if I want to say "fuck X person" or create a harmless fantasy game where I perform imaginary harm, well, who gives a fuck?

Not that I think it's particularly healthy, but it's also not exactly harming people.

Who remembers that game that was on here where you were a school shooter at Sandy Hook?

Frankly, at that point, the Administration of this website took it down because they felt it was inappropriate and, well, I agreed with that decision. People argued that it was bullshit and it should have been allowed to stay, but this is a privately owned website (which we are priveleged to be able to enjoy free of charge) and it is their choice. Not to mention that the families of the children who were murdered legitimately were harmed emotionally by it. Not like making fun of a celebrity, and Keanu Reeves getting butthurt (I dig Kee Ree, by the way), but like "someone is making a mockery of the murder of my child."

So yeah, that was, overall, harmful and I feel we're better off without it.

You want seriously hardcore fucked up? Go to the deep web on Tor or something.

And honestly, if you want to play some kind of little "inflict harm on X" game so bad that you're irked when it's removed, you probably have mental issues you should address.

I'm all for artistic liberty, but sometimes "art" is not the word that should be applied to kicking a dead mental illness horse.

In the end, it's a blurry line, but I find shit like that fine. Whatever, right? It's better to take out your aggressions in the virtual world than the real one.

It's a blurry line, again and indeed, between catharsis and feeding the demons...

Beat up Anita Sarkeesian

NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...

MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...

Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2014-11-14 17:19:39 (edited 2014-11-14 17:22:21)

People have always been complaining on the internet, but since Tumblr I think people have gotten more aggressive, proclaiming themselves to be activists and making petitions for every little thing. In 1999, Pico's School did just fine on the site. Titles like The Torture Game and V-Tech Rampage had a bit more backlash, but in these past few years we saw a Sandy Hook game pulled from the site.

@PiGPEN thoughts?

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2014-11-14 17:22:05

At 11/14/14 05:19 PM, Kwing wrote: @PiGPEN thoughts?

He left when the last game he released was pulled due to controversy. Also this thread was revived by a newcomer beating a dead horse. :/

Request Reviews // #7 Reviewer // #2 Audio Reviewer

Audio / Review Moderator - PM with problems or questions

BBS Signature

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2014-11-14 17:23:29

At 11/14/14 05:22 PM, SCTE3 wrote:
He left when the last game he released was pulled due to controversy. Also this thread was revived by a newcomer beating a dead horse. :/

Fuck these bumped threads, General is a goddamned minefield of these now.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Beat up Anita Sarkeesian 2014-11-14 17:27:26

At 11/14/14 05:23 PM, Kwing wrote:
At 11/14/14 05:22 PM, SCTE3 wrote:
Fuck these bumped threads, General is a goddamned minefield of these now.

Anyways, locking. Would be nice people would stop bumping a bunch of old dead topics with nothing to contribute to it. ._.

Request Reviews // #7 Reviewer // #2 Audio Reviewer

Audio / Review Moderator - PM with problems or questions

BBS Signature