00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Scottistrash just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Feedback, tips and tricks.

1,681 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Feedback, tips and tricks. 2012-07-05 13:18:17

Damn it's been long time since i last was in here. But eh, i'm still a newbie, and needs some tips. Since i started, i've drawed some of my favourite characters, and i could need some feedback. Maybe if you think i'm ready, i can "move on to the next level".

But here's how i do it atm:
1. Find a pic of character.
2. Find a good spot on the character that would be a good place to start.
3. Draw while still looking at the pic. (Ofc not at the same time)

I know this is a dumb way to draw, but i've never drawed before, but some way i gotta start. Oh btw, i drawed on a piece of paper, not on pc, which is actually my goal.
Here's some examples: http://sta.sh/21xpg2qfweqr

Hmm

Response to Feedback, tips and tricks. 2012-07-05 14:58:29

Sounds and looks pretty difficult, but if i don't try, i'll never learn something. Thanks btw!

Hmm

Response to Feedback, tips and tricks. 2012-07-05 16:08:06

If you are new to drawing don't do the more complicated things so fast. Start out by drawing 3-dimensional shapes like a sphere, cylinder, cone,pyramid. Shade them appropriately and cast shadows. Look up reflecting light and several other things.

Then slowly build your way up to being able to draw individual bones. After you draw individual bones start drawing them together in various poses. Remember how bones work how they dont bend or break. Then when your done drawing your skeletons draw the muscles on top of those bones and draw how they contract and move to create motion and what they do.

Then when your finished with all that you can start drawing the flesh on top of everything and these portrait drawings. But remember how the muscles move and how the shape of the bones look because even though you cant see it you need to be able to make account for everything underneath that skin.

Drawing is a lifetime learning process you cant skip things and learn it fast.

Response to Feedback, tips and tricks. 2012-07-05 16:24:43

Oh yea and do gesture drawing too. In order to be good at anime you first must be good at anatomy and human drawing. Look up Andrew? Loomis drawing book you can get it free its an ebook and study from that pluss study from real life drawings.

Drawing shapes will help you understand form and how to shade. Since anything and everything can be broken down into geometric shapes.

Response to Feedback, tips and tricks. 2012-07-05 16:34:35

last but not least, its a bad habit to draw from another artist's drawing as a reference. The reason is because you will draw all the mistakes he made with yours.

Response to Feedback, tips and tricks. 2012-07-05 16:53:25

At 7/5/12 04:24 PM, PMMurphy wrote: Oh yea and do gesture drawing too. In order to be good at anime you first must be good at anatomy and human drawing. Look up Andrew? Loomis drawing book you can get it free its an ebook and study from that pluss study from real life drawings.

Thank you, i will look up some books. I appreciate your help!

Hmm

Response to Feedback, tips and tricks. 2012-07-05 17:13:18

At 7/5/12 04:34 PM, PMMurphy wrote: last but not least, its a bad habit to draw from another artist's drawing as a reference. The reason is because you will draw all the mistakes he made with yours.

Oh, i forgot, will this also count with the portrait pics. You know, should i also find a pic when drawing portraits, i don't want to sound stupid, but i'm just gonna be 100% sure.

Hmm

Response to Feedback, tips and tricks. 2012-07-05 17:58:30

And does it need to be separate or all-in-one (flesh, bones and muscles). Example for separate: http://figure-drawings.com/anatomy-pogany-1.jpg

Hmm

Response to Feedback, tips and tricks. 2012-07-05 21:59:04

Seperate take it in steps. In order to draw the muscles appropriately you need to know how to place together its frame (the bones). Then in order to get the flesh right you need to know how to draw the muscles.

you draw muscles without flesh.

you can do potriats and stuff to check your progress. The more lifelike the better you are doing. if you see problems with the bone structure you know to study more bones. if other things look off you know to study other things.

Everytime you do a few studies make it a habit to put all photos away and references and simply draw something from imagination. It forces you to use the lessons you have learned and apply it to actual theory. If it comes up ugly or disportionate and terrible. Thats a good indicator to continue doing studies.

Response to Feedback, tips and tricks. 2012-07-05 22:00:31

At 7/5/12 05:58 PM, VectorSpawn wrote: And does it need to be separate or all-in-one (flesh, bones and muscles). Example for separate: http://figure-drawings.com/anatomy-pogany-1.jpg

and yes doing that is fine. As long as you draw it, you can do it as many times as you want on the same page.

Also practice drawing in time intervals. 10 minutes 20 minutes 30 minutes. 30 seconds etc etc. You need to be able to sketch quickly too in order to capture images you might see in real life.

Last but not least. Try to avoid drawing from photos and draw from real life. Draw people at a bus station or whever you go. etc etc etc.

Response to Feedback, tips and tricks. 2012-07-05 22:02:27

At 7/5/12 05:58 PM, VectorSpawn wrote: And does it need to be separate or all-in-one (flesh, bones and muscles). Example for separate: http://figure-drawings.com/anatomy-pogany-1.jpg

LAST BUT NOT LEAST (lol) i must add.

When you draw, THINK. Ask yourself, why? Why did i do this? Why did i do that? Why this line what that line. You need to understand your process and how you go about doing it. That way you can try to locate your misstakes and errors and begin to tone down your technique and ways to improve.

If you don't do this, your basically trying to shoot a target with a gun blind folded. Yes you might hit every now and again, but if you do it the first way your more then likely to get a hang of it.

Response to Feedback, tips and tricks. 2012-07-06 13:23:11

Thank you again, for more answers and tips. I was at the library and found alot of useful drawing books, also for anatomic drawing.

Hmm