00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Breakfast-Crow just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Archiving Game Jams

22,215 Views | 46 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-19 15:01:12

Elephant in the room: Yes, it's a big bummer that Forsaken City didn't reach its Kickstarter goal. Hopefully this isn't the last we hear of this project; I like to think everything has a way of working out and I know Studio Firelight is serious about making it happen.

The topic of THIS post though is games, specifically game jam games.

NG Game Jam 7 is happening next weekend and this past weekend marked the 35th Ludum Dare MiniLD.

I've been really liking the games that come out of game jams because they are often experimental and pure; they come from a good place. We've been fighting off an endless barrage of shovelware here on NG, so games like these are always a breath of fresh air.

To better showcase these competitions I've put together a Game Jams collection. It includes the existing NG Game Jams but also has a collection for Ludum Dare entries that exist as web games on NG. We have a lot of entries available from Ludum Dare 23 but the challenge now is filling in other events. Right now if I do a tag search, only one entry comes up for MiniLD34. If you made a web game this past weekend for MiniLD35, you can tag it with "minild35" and I'll find it!

This is also a good time to organize any other game jam entries that exist on NG, such as entries for the Global Game Jam. Reply to this thread with links to any games you know that were made as part of a jam. We can make sure they get properly tagged and included in appropriate collections!

ALSO

When you see something cool or unique from an unknown artist, click the heart next to their name and FAVORITE the artist! It will encourage them and prevent you from missing out on their future stuff.

For example I thought this was really intriguing - I was lucky to catch it in the big list of new games. I favorited this author so I will know what compelling stuff he submits in the future; otherwise he might submit something else a year from now and I could totally miss it. A lot of really interesting stuff doesn't win daily awards and slips by under the radar. FAVORITE often and your feed will be EXCITING!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-19 15:03:48

At 6/19/12 03:01 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Exciting news, looking forward to seeing all the awesome games made in the game jam.

Also, you should check out this animation Tom.

http://vimeo.com/41219207

I was going to message the artist and tell them it would be a great addition to Newgrounds now that there is the video player, but I wasn't sure if it would be too intrusive.

BBS Signature

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-19 15:04:00

BearBound was pretty fun and creative.

returning from 8 years hiatus haha so maybe renovating a little :>

FOLLOW 4 FOOL WRITING & POETRY HERE

BBS Signature

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-19 15:23:25

Game of grief is real good.

BBS Signature

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-19 15:28:46

At 6/19/12 03:03 PM, Rocinante wrote: Also, you should check out this animation Tom.
I was going to message the artist and tell them it would be a great addition to Newgrounds now that there is the video player, but I wasn't sure if it would be too intrusive.

I'll pop them an email!

BBS Signature

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-19 15:32:52

cant wait to animate for game jam!

Subscribe to my YouTube! www.youtube.com/user/TheTurboRage

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-19 15:33:51

Well that Game of Grief was different, which is what we want! :)

Game Jam 7, tis gonna be awesome!!

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-19 15:36:56

This sounds awesome, i could definitely get used to this.. :D

BBS Signature

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-19 15:47:19

:)

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-19 16:20:07

At 6/19/12 03:47 PM, NoLanLabs wrote: Well you asked for it Tom, so here's all the game jam games I've made (that aren't in collections already):

I'll leave out 7DFPS for now but I added your LD stuff... Hopefully those pages will flesh out over time.

BBS Signature

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-19 17:07:38

Well hopefully they'll get back on the kickstarter horse and I'll refund myself.

Looking forward to the Game Jam, and its gonna be awesome.

QG

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-19 17:35:42

I'm excited about the game jam, I always try to check out the games that are submitted for it whenever possible.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-19 17:38:59

Game of grief was quite interesting. I love art games.

Shame we couldnt get the kickstarter... :(

Thank you Ryan for the AWESOME sig!

REDESIGN FINALLY!! YESSSS!!! | MLP: FiM Crew | Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-19 18:07:04

At 6/19/12 04:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: I'll leave out 7DFPS for now but I added your LD stuff... Hopefully those pages will flesh out over time.

Thanks, there must be more LD games out there, I just can't remember right now... ESCAPE was originally a Ludum Dare game, but it's probably been updated since then, same with Take Care of The Trees... I think Austin Breed made some LD games too.

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-19 20:27:17

Cool I totally care

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-19 23:00:18

Looking forward to it

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-19 23:11:40

Very sick, seriously can't wait for GJ7 Tom :]]]]

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-19 23:30:39

Glad to see your always looking on the bright side of things Tom. Keep being classy!

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-19 23:37:52

As much as I would love to participate in the game jam, I really don't have any skills as of yet that I could contribute. I'm only beginning to learn how to program. Not to mention, I'm not much of an artist (unless you call a few pixel art-pieces here and there), nor do I believe that writing should be considered a skill for Wild Card. I would more love to have a voice actor or a musician on the team than someone writing a short story that could just be whipped up in less than an hour without a little bit refining to it.

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-20 04:17:18

This will be my first gamejam!
Atleast if i get picked, there's so many artists.
PICK ME PICK MEEEEE!!

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-20 05:55:03

Alright Game Jam is Back!

Does anyone actually read these?

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-20 08:39:15

At 6/19/12 03:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: Yes, it's a big bummer that Forsaken City didn't reach its Kickstarter goal. Hopefully this isn't the last we hear of this project; I like to think everything has a way of working out and I know Studio Firelight is serious about making it happen.

I love that we showed it can be done. A few more donations here and there and we will be able to help them put this all together. Perhaps if I get a better job, I'll be able to donate more money, who knows?

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-20 08:57:23

Any updates coming soon, Tom? Would be nice... this site needs refreshments!

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-20 10:10:34

Goodness am I excited for the game jam! Just remember children, my birthday is the 28th... hint hint :}

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-20 10:31:21

At 6/20/12 08:57 AM, uglybetty wrote: Any updates coming soon, Tom? Would be nice... this site needs refreshments!

Agreed; I really want to know when I get a new review on one of my submissions, who/how many people have favourited my submissions, etc... This page was put down for maintenance months ago when it was at least serving to show me my favourites on each track and if I got any new reviews.

No pressure, but I'd love to hear how things are going with that.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-20 12:37:29

At 6/19/12 03:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: stuff

Cool game jams will be archieved another cool options for the grounds.

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-20 12:55:34

At 6/20/12 10:31 AM, Step wrote: Agreed; I really want to know when I get a new review on one of my submissions, who/how many people have favourited my submissions, etc... This page was put down for maintenance months ago when it was at least serving to show me my favourites on each track and if I got any new reviews.

Sorry for the delays on things like submission favorite stats, new reviews and the whistle system... Things have been in a state of flux this past month but should be back on track in July. Basically Rob is in the process of moving to San Fran, Goldfish is making a game for Robot Day, and liljim is addressing some concerns that came up in Google Webmaster Tools, namely improvements / fixes to help Google better index and rank NG.

In other news the Ludum Dare collection is a lot more fleshed out today.

BBS Signature

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-20 13:25:55

At 6/20/12 12:55 PM, TomFulp wrote: In other news the Ludum Dare collection is a lot more fleshed out today.

I can't seem to get into the list of all the Ludum Dares from that page, I have to actually find a LD game and get to the collection from there... am I missing something?

Anyway it's really cool that you're doing this.

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-20 13:31:00

This post that you made is very FUN!

Response to Archiving Game Jams 2012-06-20 13:33:39

At 6/19/12 03:01 PM, TomFulp wrote:
ALSO

When you see something cool or unique from an unknown artist, click the heart next to their name and FAVORITE the artist! It will encourage them and prevent you from missing out on their future stuff.

YES PLEASE!

I enjoy having an audience to make my nonsense for. :)

BBS Signature