00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Looking for gloomy ambient track

2,073 Views | 19 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-13 13:51:25

Just to clarify, it's not a specific track I'm looking for, just a potential track for a game I'm working on.
The game is based in a fairly dark and gloomy mineshaft, deep down in a cave.

In my mind, I'm picturing a slow track, with some long drawn out, low pitched synths. Maybe instead of regular percussion it has some sounds more like a drip of water, or a pick echoing off of a rock.
It sounds super specific, but it's not like I'm dead set on that. I've spent a couple hours digging around the audio portal, searching for random tracks and nothing quite did it for me.

If anything comes to mind, and you could share it with me that would be fantastic!
Thanks in advance to those of you who do a little digging around.

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-13 14:05:11

Response to Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-13 14:29:47

At 6/13/12 02:05 PM, Buoy wrote: This actually fits your description but I doubt it's what you're really looking for

A nice ambient track, but not quite fitting the mood. I wouldn't say too upbeat... I'm terrible at describing this :(

just sheer dark ambience

I can see this fitting well in a reallydark, like sinister atmospheric game.
The game I'm working on has the dank, darkness of a cavern. But it's not sinister or evil.
It's hard to place a sound to it.

Thanks you though! I appreciate the help.

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-13 15:12:40

Response to Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-13 15:35:05

Do you want a beat at all? Or just underlying claustrophobia?

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-13 15:36:13

I don't know if this is gloomy enough or exactly what you are looking for, but here is a loop.
http://fav.me/d4yg0o4

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-13 15:38:20

FCK disregard that link. Forgot to copy the link

: so embarrassed and double post lock. fck me

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-13 15:53:46

I have a track that fits the description so well, it's like I made it for you ahead of time:

Otherwise:

Response to Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-13 17:25:28

I'm not sure if this will do the trick -- it's gloomy, yes, but it doesn't sound cavey. D:

Response to Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-13 17:52:04

Thanks for the huge response everyone! I wasn't expecting this much selection in such a short period of time.
If you could keep them coming too, that would be fantastic.

I sent my partner a link to this page, and asked him to check out some of these great tracks too.
So if you see Pinchanzee around, and he has some more ideas for a musical direction then it'd be great if you could turn up some tracks matching his ideas as well.

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-13 18:25:21

Response to Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-13 18:45:48

Hey guys, responses so far have been great, cheers!
As if there weren't enough specifics, here's some more.

By "gloomy" we (I think) don't necessarily mean downcast, more as an atmospheric than emotional meaning. It's a puzzle game so people might be sitting with this track looping for quite a while - we don't want it to be too dark and have people clubbing seals after playing for too long..
An upbeat track could even work, so long as it had an underground hollow ambience running through the background (quite a hard task, though).

It can have a tune/beat so long as it doesn't overwhelm the track - the aim is for it to be fairly ambient - but not so ambient that it's a non-event.

Response to Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-13 18:58:41

At 6/13/12 06:45 PM, Pinchanzee wrote: Hey guys, responses so far have been great, cheers!
As if there weren't enough specifics, here's some more.

It was probably my fault driving things too dark. I didn't want to use any descriptors that might come out with some like hip-hop, techno track.
It's very difficult to convey a feel for a game in words. The art, gameplay and music generally do that for you.

So it is gloomy, and in a cave. If possible, an ambient almost empty vibe, but something you can kinda jam to while puzzling over a level for a while. I think the tracks with the echoes stood out a lot, just because of the resonance from a cave.

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-16 11:12:41

Response to Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-16 11:19:51

Response to Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-25 22:07:50

Here is a song that I made based on your descriptions. If you don't use it I had fun imagining a song down in a deep mine or cave.

Response to Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-25 22:13:33

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-29 00:08:25

Hi, my name is Ashton and I write a lot of music.

I recently recorded two ambient tracks, this one is more omnious and creepy
http://soundcloud.com/ashtonmorris/ambient-1-creepy

And this one is kind of positive but it flows so nice I thought you'd like it.
http://soundcloud.com/ashtonmorris/positive-ambient

Hit me up or check out my other stuff for future projects. Thanks for listening.

www.ashtonmorris.com

Response to Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-30 18:46:50

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/492560?updated=1
Here is my take on the loop track you requested. If it fits the mood of the game I'm glad for having it accepted. Otherwise, I had fun doing it.

Response to Looking for gloomy ambient track 2012-06-30 18:50:29