00:00
00:00

Lesson One -- Getting To Know 'ya

1,026 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Lesson One -- Getting To Know 'ya 2012-06-02 00:15:14

Congratulations, you have purchased the next gaming experience that I'm sure you will enjoy. A game that we as the publishers and developers will hope that you can proudly display in your video game library and encourage your friends to play as well. However I want you to click on the disc icon below and we will begin the tutorial so you will know how to play this game.

So the tutorial level, stage, or just the tutorial in general. Many different games are filled with different tutorials and although I have nothing against tutorials, at the same time I think a game can handle itself without one... at least it used to be able to. When it comes to the past and how a game can teach you how to play it without the use of a tutorial, then you should check out Egoraptor's video Sequelitis - Mega Man Classic vs. Mega Man X, he says it a bit better than I can.

Nowadays with the different motion controls, and controls with multiple buttons, it seems that games may not be able to teach you without the use of a tutorial level. Why do we have the tutorial level though? It is nothing more than a level to teach you how to play the game and at times it is mandatory.

This is my gripe. A mandatory tutorial level is okay if it adds something to the game or story, like what Kingdom Hearts did. Yeah it's true that if you use a guide then you can set the stats and difficulty to what you want, but that ruins the game in a way, the choices you make can effect the gameplay for you. So that tutorial level adds something to the game. Banjo-Kazooie gives you an option, but I have heard of people playing through it's tutorial just to read the witty dialogue.

Despite this though, people normally don't like mandatory tutorial levels or tutorials to begin with. So I guess the only other resort is to read the enclosed instruction manual, which most people don't read. This I never understood, whenever I get a new game I always read the manual, even if the game has a tutorial level. Mainly because the manual can at times teach you more than a tutorial level can and tell you more about the game.

Now when it comes to tutorial levels I don't completely mind them, but at times I don't like that their mandatory or how some games try to incorporate their levels. Games were very pick up and play, but now they're more like projects, which is sad. Games aren't supposed to be projects, you're supposed to play games to have fun.

Questions of the Day
1. What is your stance on tutorials - tutorial levels/stages
2. What is your favorite tutorial?
3. What is your least favorite tutorial?
4. Do you read game's instruction manuals?
5. Have you ever purchased a video game guidebook?
6. What is your favorite game that doesn't use a tutorial?
7. What is your stance on video game reviewers?
8. What is your favorite video game shovel?

Response to Lesson One -- Getting To Know 'ya 2012-06-02 06:25:23

At 6/2/12 12:15 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Questions of the Day

Depends on the style of tutorial. I hate tutorials where you're left standing in a room, usually with some kind of skilled character, and they tell you stuff like "Push forward on the thumb stick to move... WELL DONE!". Those kind of tutorials just leave me feeling like some kind of retard who doesn't know the basic functionality of my controller

I much prefer tutorials like those in Oblivion/Skyrim or the GTA games, where the opening of the game is designed to let you get to grips with the controls and find out how everything works. Players who are already experience don't exactly suffer during these kinds of tutorials because they're not being told to push a specific button to punch.

Now that's a tough question. I honestly can't think of any that stand out as being done well or being really good. I guess those on any of the GTA games seeing as there is no real tutorial.

Again, I really can't think. Tutorials aren't something I pay much attention to for the most part. I'm currently playing Metal Gear Solid on PS1 and it's VR training levels aren't much use at all. They give you no combat experience at all, despite knowing that you are going to need to use combat eventually in the game.

Depends on the manual. If it's some half assed 3 page long manual that we get these days, no. I might open it and have a quick look at the button layout, but that's about all that's worth looking at in modern manuals. I miss the old days of having bulky manuals that gave you some back story, artwork and character info.

I don't think I've ever bought one but I do have a guidebook for Final Fantasy X. I've not played that game for years, but the guide book did come in useful. It helped me spot hidden items that I'd never have known about otherwise. I guess that removes the element of surprise when you actually find something by chance.

Yet again, tutorials aren't something I tend to remember. I don't remember Morrowind having a tutorial so I'll go with that.

I read the opinions of the likes of IGN even though people tell me they're terrible. For the most part I disagree and actually find their reviews helpful. Especially the video reviews because even if I disagree with the reviewers opinion I'm still getting a chance to see how the game plays and make up my own mind. There have been several games I've been unsure whether or not and the IGN video reviews have been the decision maker.

Umm... what?

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Lesson One -- Getting To Know 'ya 2012-06-02 17:00:36

Questions of the Day

I'd like it if they were more funny.

Spiderman 1's, tutorial guy was awesome.

Teaching me how to use the battle system, or a complex feature.

Yes, when walking back home.

No, I found no reason to.

Scott pilgrim VS the World

They're alright.

Castle crashers.

BBS Signature

Response to Lesson One -- Getting To Know 'ya 2012-06-02 17:08:56

Always a good thing to have, helps you get a grip on the game.

Any tutorial by Bethesda is amazing.

Mirror's Edge. It was a pain in the ass my first time.

Every game I own, I read the manual

Nope

Left 4 Dead

They can be assholes

The one from Condemned.

Behold, a miracle!

All Nazis get the Blood Eagle, no exceptions.

BBS Signature

Response to Lesson One -- Getting To Know 'ya 2012-06-02 18:00:59

At 6/2/12 04:47 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: TGO, I have to ask, is this going to be another series similar to June Games?

Sorry June Games will not be returning. The concept of it will be returning in video format later in the future though. These are basically my articles of writing on different things within video game news or strictly what I find interesting in the video game culture. I add questions at the end for those to give comment on.

I like discussion and debate, always have and I always will.

Response to Lesson One -- Getting To Know 'ya 2012-06-02 18:29:03

At 6/2/12 12:15 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
Despite this though, people normally don't like mandatory tutorial levels or tutorials to begin with. So I guess the only other resort is to read the enclosed instruction manual, which most people don't read. This I never understood, whenever I get a new game I always read the manual, even if the game has a tutorial level. Mainly because the manual can at times teach you more than a tutorial level can and tell you more about the game.

Psh I can tell you exactly why because most people don't want to spend 5 to ten minutes reading a manual when 9/10 its already taught in the game. In game tutorials are more effective because you're actually getting that mental and muscle memory to pull off certain actions properly. Take UMVC3 for example sure they teach you how to do combo's but like most fighters defense is just as crucial and yet they don't teach you how to advance guard or team aerial counter which are crucial skills to know when fighting even on normal difficulty. So in some cases I'd prefer in game tutorial over stopping and looking at a manual every 15 minutes if I'm not getting something down.

Questions of the Day

I prefer them over looking at a book interrupting game play.

Fight Night Round 4's simple and fairly easy to master with some experience.

UMVC3's mission mode is a pain in the ass and get's repetitive very quickly.

Not unless I have too.

I LOVE guidebooks the artwork the in dept analysis on characters and of course POSTERS!!! (or some other bonus feature)

I guess I'm gonna have to go old school for this, Sonic3&K.

Game informer- Every shooter is great, Every sonic game is garbage. (bias piece of shits)

Screwattack - The most balanced reviewers

Game Trailers- They're decent overall but Some times i think they jump on hate wagons.

IGN- Worst review site ever, period.

Xplay- They're pretty much dead to me but sometimes they don't no how to review a game with objectivity. Oh and they try to hard to be funny sometimes in there video reviews.

Knuckles Shovel Claw from Sonic Adventure 2 ( this ones from the original SA but it's the only decent in game picture)

Lesson One -- Getting To Know 'ya

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to Lesson One -- Getting To Know 'ya 2012-06-02 18:39:14

Don't really care for them too much, I'm more of a learn as you go person when it comes to games. Although, I will say that when it comes to tutorial levels, Mega Man X had it pretty close to perfection. Really, the only time that you would even go back to a tutorial is if you need a refresher on something complicated, which is rare.

As I said before, the Mega Man X starting level is about as close to a perfect tutorial level as it can get. The next best one I could think of is Continuum Shift, considering all of the unique features of the game.

The reboot of Bionic Commando, just when you get comfortable with the controls the first time, another tutorial has to show up again, which simply ruins the pace of the game.

Not really. About the only thing that manuals are worth reading now is how the controls work, and considering that they spell it out in the in-game tutorials most of the time, it's not as important as it once was.

The only guidebooks that I buy is for RPGs, which tend to have a lot of stuff to keep track of.

I don't really remember tutorial levels very much, so I can't really give an answer.

For me, it's 50/50. Some of them know their stuff and are funny to a certain extent, others tend to act like smug assholes and I often discount their reviews, it's sort of like an art form between being humorous and knowledgeable.

I have no idea.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Lesson One -- Getting To Know 'ya 2012-06-10 04:32:29

At 6/2/12 05:08 PM, Shade wrote: Any tutorial by Bethesda is amazing.

Some examples would be nice. I honestly thought the tutorial for Skyrim at the start, the text wasn't as out there as you would like and I ended up in a panic trying not to die by the dragon.

Response to Lesson One -- Getting To Know 'ya 2012-06-10 05:49:14

I think they are a great way for players to get accustomed to the game and how to play it

From a specific game or in general? eh, doesnt matter, i cant really think of one either way

see #2 answer

Always and forever

a few times, but i usually find i can get by just fine without one. If i had extra money to spend though, i would buy as many of the gamebooks for games i have that i could find, for just looking through the guide for perhaps secrets or tips if nothing else.

Hmm....cant really think of one, since i always view the first level/stage of a game as a tutorial stage, even if it isnt meant for that.

As long as they review objectively, its alright with me. Even if they dont though, sometimes its interesting to see different people's opinions on the same thing

the Soldier's melee shovel from TF2

honestly the only one i could think of

Response to Lesson One -- Getting To Know 'ya 2012-06-10 08:32:37

They're good, all games should have them but they should be optional unless they tie in to the story. Some games really don't need a tutorial but some do.

Spiderman 1 and 2, the voiceover guy was funny.

Can't think of one really.

Not really unless I'm stuck on controls. I think GTA manuals were interesting.

I had a Pokemon one but I only used it for the massive Pokedex, didn't actually use the walkthrough.

Probably Mass Effect.

Don't really like "expert" reviewers, I just go with user reviews on Gamespot or Amazon.

Haven't had much experience with them, I remember having fun using one in a mission on GTA San Andreas, but then I got in the combine harvester and the shovel felt inferior after using that.

god

BBS Signature

Response to Lesson One -- Getting To Know 'ya 2012-06-10 15:35:26

At 6/2/12 12:15 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
Questions of the Day

they're okay if they are not mandatory shit and if you have the option to skip sections or skip the entire thing. i fucking hate them if they are forced upon you and they interrupt you constantly shit you just figured out yourself

half life

quake live. dumb patronising bitch can fuck right off

not since tutorials have existed

i am not a scrub

uh, deus ex? idk

a lot of them are opinionated hacks and i don't care for them.

i don't want to read 10 paragraphs of some guy telling me in depth why he enjoyed/didn't enjoy the game because i honestly don't give a fuck. if a game is good and worth my time i shall hear about it from word of mouth from people and shit such as the Newgrounds: Everything by Everyone - Community Bulletin Board System: Video Games Forum or another certain eponymous Video Games forum

the iron shovel from minecraft

hey

BBS Signature