00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MutantZulu81241 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

- N A T A - Novice Round!

58,777 Views | 678 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-06-11 02:19:33

At 6/11/12 01:25 AM, ExtremeFudgeMaster wrote: It seems that structure is consistently the lowest score. I understand the ABC thing, but how can everybody be doing so badly on structure? What are the judges looking for in structure?

Every entry is different and many scored lower in Structure than other categories for various reasons. If you have a specific entry in mind, we can help point it out to you. However, the primary reasons for structure being marked down are
A) Incompletion. This is the category where an incomplete entry will hurt you most. or,
B) Abrupt / unresolved ending. Keep in mind that a chaotic ending is fine, but there were some entries that never got to the main point at all.

Emrox had a fantastic entry, but all we get is a description of a really badass elephant assassin. Who was the rabbit at the beginning? Why does he want the dog dead? Who is the dog? What happens to him? Does he get killed? Does he run away? This story literally never goes anywhere, and so he was marked down for structure for this reason.

Other entries (such as Fungasm's entry) have a good establishment but then because it is incomplete (and without a storyboard, to boot), we have no idea where the story goes. What happens after the elephant comes out of the head and pulls the boy's spirit out? It never resolves in any way.

TL;DR: Structure is all about the story. Establish a premise, create a conflict or situation, and resolve it. Many entries failed to resolve due to incompletion or an abrupt ending. Other entries (such as LazyModeComics) never had a premise to begin with.

I will see if Thor can write up a helpful article on structure for everyone. It's a category that is not exclusive to animation, but to any form of motion media (film, video games, television, some comics, etc.)

Also below are the total statistics of everyone's combined scores in each category.

- N A T A - Novice Round!

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-06-11 04:20:49

At 6/11/12 03:23 AM, digsBot wrote: Good luck to the remaining. Dazzle the shiz out of us bros.

Aww i tough break buddy...

Well i'm happy this morning. It's sad that Fungasm didn't carry futher cause i really wanted to go crazy in the round against him ;D but what can you do with an unfinished entry.
McBinkles let'd go CRAZY!

Congrats to everyone - i'm off to take a shower and think how to pull this round and how to improve based on judges comments

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-06-11 04:27:35

At 6/11/12 04:20 AM, DuDuL wrote:

Not to self - never write posts right after waking up because you make the most silly grammar mistakes lol xD

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-06-11 04:50:35

Aaaahh I didn't make it.
Ah well, the better animator won, in the end.
Good luck in the next round everyone!

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-06-11 05:25:55

Oh! And just in case anyone cares*

Here's my entry finally on the portal.

: *no one cares

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-06-11 06:08:02

At 6/11/12 05:25 AM, Lankie wrote: Oh! And just in case anyone cares*

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/597100
*no one cares

I care ^_^
It's lovely =D
Love what you did with the white noise there.

That said, congrats to all winners :D

I'm glad that both of my voice acting animations passed :D

Should any of you guys need any voice acting for the next round, PM meh =3

"Contra Mundum, Semper Et In Aeternum."

My voice acting demo - PM me if you need me:)

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-06-11 09:51:32

At 6/11/12 05:25 AM, Lankie wrote: Oh! And just in case anyone cares*

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/597100
*no one cares

Ahahahahah awesome !! i love the style in your animations

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-06-11 10:12:14

Sorry bro, ours didnt get through.
That was a truly devastating round- some great animators dropped out. Anyway, I think that either Pahgawk or Emrox will win this year, but JerrodStorm has the possibility of taking it. I would like to see JerrodStorm win it. He just seems like a nice guy with light hearted humour and good taste.
Who knows, I might be able to get further next year.

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-06-11 10:17:23

Ah, I'm relieved I made it through but It's bittersweet, seeing our NATA family get smaller :(
Commiserations to all that didn't make it to the next round.
Also I love the judges comments, they're so helpful for everyone, win or lose. It's like a prize in itself.

PSN ID: CatFatius

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-06-11 10:37:55

At 6/11/12 10:17 AM, CatFat wrote: Ah, I'm relieved I made it through but It's bittersweet, seeing our NATA family get smaller :(

Well once NATA is over i'm in for Assembling our 'family' once more for tribute collab :D

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-06-11 10:58:33

I'm actually kind of relieved Emrox whooped my butt in this round, because I don't know if I would have had the time to dedicate to this tournament soon. My entries were already so incomplete as it was, so I couldn't imagine how they would turn out if I had less time to make them.

Emrox did fantastic though, as did a lot of others. I look forward to seeing who will win! Make sure you guys give yourselves adequate breaks and do the hand exercises, too; you've only had a few days break. Don't want to get the ol' carpal tunnel syndrome!

Boop boop beep boop.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-06-11 11:00:40

don't worry, we're still here in spirit!
...quite literally actually, as it turns out the penalty for failing NATA is DEATH.
We're all flash ghosts now.
You can tell because we all have an alpha of 50%
oooOOOooOOO.

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-06-11 12:05:06

At 6/11/12 11:00 AM, Lankie wrote: don't worry, we're still here in spirit!
...quite literally actually, as it turns out the penalty for failing NATA is DEATH.
We're all flash ghosts now.
You can tell because we all have an alpha of 50%
oooOOOooOOO.

OOOOOOO ghoooooOOOOoooosts!

We will haunt these threads for an eternity.

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-06-11 12:27:45

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has participated this year, NATA has been really fun and inspiring. I lurk this thread and wish all the forums on NG could have this sort of vibe; people making stuff, supporting each other, etc... I know I need to post more too. I'll do my best to include helpful critiques in the next round!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-06-11 13:15:41

At 6/11/12 12:27 PM, TomFulp wrote: Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has participated this year, NATA has been really fun and inspiring. I lurk this thread and wish all the forums on NG could have this sort of vibe; people making stuff, supporting each other, etc... I know I need to post more too. I'll do my best to include helpful critiques in the next round!

Join us and let's have fun together :D - also i look forward to Your critiques

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-06-11 15:25:21

At 6/11/12 12:27 PM, TomFulp wrote: Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has participated this year, NATA has been really fun and inspiring. I lurk this thread and wish all the forums on NG could have this sort of vibe; people making stuff, supporting each other, etc... I know I need to post more too. I'll do my best to include helpful critiques in the next round!

Np Tom :)
I just wish all of this had more publicity.
Then again... the site would've lose its slightly underground feeling and gone too mainstream.
Hard to get the *right* amount of it, eh?

At 6/11/12 10:12 AM, terabiter wrote:

Sorry bro, ours didnt get through.
That was a truly devastating round- some great animators dropped out. Anyway, I think that either Pahgawk or Emrox will win this year, but JerrodStorm has the possibility of taking it. I would like to see JerrodStorm win it. He just seems like a nice guy with light hearted humour and good taste.
Who knows, I might be able to get further next year.

Oh, bloody shame.
My bad. I still loved both of your submissions :*
I hope some1 will recruit me voice act for the next round tho :P

"Contra Mundum, Semper Et In Aeternum."

My voice acting demo - PM me if you need me:)

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-06-11 16:34:58

At 6/11/12 10:37 AM, DuDuL wrote:
At 6/11/12 10:17 AM, CatFat wrote: Ah, I'm relieved I made it through but It's bittersweet, seeing our NATA family get smaller :(
Well once NATA is over i'm in for Assembling our 'family' once more for tribute collab :D

Best. Family. Ever.

Still going to haunt these threads for now. It's the first time I've been active in a forum, and as Tom said, this has a really nice vibe to it. It's almost like... What do you call it? Friendship...?

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-06-11 17:48:23

At 6/11/12 04:34 PM, Hikarian wrote:

:It's almost like... What do you call it? Friendship...?

It's almost like you have... companions.

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-06-12 00:53:29

At 6/11/12 05:48 PM, ExtremeFudgeMaster wrote:
At 6/11/12 04:34 PM, Hikarian wrote:
It's almost like... What do you call it? Friendship...?
It's almost like you have... companions.

Nooooo...! I wouldn't want to be social! That would be disastrous!

But it is nice hearing the thoughts of other animators :)

BBS Signature