00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Da-Birb just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is it considered cheating if you...

1,213 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Is it considered cheating if you draw a real person portrait from a photo of the internet? or do you have to memorize the person? I Have been practicing Realism {I can't always draw manga.i would be doing the same mistake many deviantartist do)and I drew a portrait of a Mexican Actress, Angelica Vale but i used a photo of her on the internet and it looks almost identical to her facial features (heard getting one's unique face is hard for a beginner) but would that be considered cheating? i would post the drawing but i do not own a scanner.
and one more question, do you think a person who started to draw 10 months ago would be able to draw anything more complicated or am i progressing fast if i can already do portraits,basic perspective backgrounds,shading,lighting,blending tones,basic gesture drawing,knowledge of the human body?

This is my badly made signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it considered cheating if you... 2012-05-11 02:12:36

well i don't know who to give credit to if i get it from a website, i'm not trying to sell it or show it off. so if I am beginner would you say what i am doing (using reference) is alright? because i heard drawing from life will help you become a better understanding of things. Sorry if i ask a lot of questions i just don't want to go in the wrong road in my favorite hobby and hopefully, one day i could make something out of what i really like to do.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it considered cheating if you... 2012-05-11 03:11:54

Drawing from life is different from drawing from a photograph- drawing from life is when you draw something in front of you, like a person or landscape that's really there. Drawing from life is the more helpful of the two, but both are useful to aspiring artists.

Response to Is it considered cheating if you... 2012-05-11 03:27:06

At 5/11/12 03:11 AM, lovingthedark wrote: Drawing from life is different from drawing from a photograph- drawing from life is when you draw something in front of you, like a person or landscape that's really there. Drawing from life is the more helpful of the two, but both are useful to aspiring artists.

I would draw from life, but i would need that person to stay in the same position, but i heard you draw from life in Art I in my highschool and ism taking it next year,guess from now I'll use photographs and possibly try to find someone to draw.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it considered cheating if you... 2012-05-11 03:35:21

What's your aim (as in goal)? Are you trying to be able to draw only portrait in a realistic form or are you going to draw thing in a more realistic style in general. If in general, you should also draw anything remotely near you, like an object, a desk, anything.

"I'm an Androgynous Misogynous" -- Billy the Fridge

Response to Is it considered cheating if you... 2012-05-11 04:30:28

At 5/11/12 01:37 AM, GoodFang wrote: I drew a portrait of a Mexican Actress, Angelica Vale but i used a photo of her on the internet and it looks almost identical to her facial features

Generally, there's no problem with using a pic, it's the method that's used which is the problem.
Did you use a grid?

Please submit the pic to this thread, first.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it considered cheating if you... 2012-05-11 06:11:20

At 5/11/12 01:37 AM, GoodFang wrote: Is it considered cheating if you draw a real person portrait from a photo of the internet? or do you have to memorize the person?

Of course it's not cheating.

How are you going to learn if you don't draw from reference?

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Is it considered cheating if you... 2012-05-11 17:57:57

At 5/11/12 04:30 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 5/11/12 01:37 AM, GoodFang wrote: I drew a portrait of a Mexican Actress, Angelica Vale but i used a photo of her on the internet and it looks almost identical to her facial features
Generally, there's no problem with using a pic, it's the method that's used which is the problem.
Did you use a grid?

Please submit the pic to this thread, first.

i would likek to submit the picture but i don't have a scanner, i didn't draw this with tablet, neither did i trace over it, or used a grid. i just drew what I saw.

My goals right now are undecided, i am trying not to stick to only 1 kind of drawing artform, because it's best to be open minded about things

BBS Signature