00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Uknownxl Art Thread

909 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Uknownxl Art Thread 2012-05-06 22:00:24

Hello Everyone,
I was hoping I could post some of my work for our current games here and collect some feedback. This is for a current project we are working on called spirit void. Take a look and please comment. Let me know if you have any questions in regards to the game or anything and I will be happy to respond.

Uknownxl Art Thread

Response to Uknownxl Art Thread 2012-05-08 00:42:49

At 5/7/12 11:09 PM, NewShape wrote: There's nothing aesthetically wrong with it per-say, or at least as far as I can see.

It's just looks fairly boring, like I would stop playing with the first couple of minutes.

Really? hmmm. what do you think could spruce it up?

Response to Uknownxl Art Thread 2012-05-08 00:49:27

At 5/8/12 12:42 AM, UknownXL wrote:
At 5/7/12 11:09 PM, NewShape wrote: There's nothing aesthetically wrong with it per-say, or at least as far as I can see.

It's just looks fairly boring, like I would stop playing with the first couple of minutes.
Really? hmmm. what do you think could spruce it up?

everything jus looks.....Too flat, and blended together, even as a plat former it just seems like nothing is really in existence.

Response to Uknownxl Art Thread 2012-05-08 00:53:23

At 5/8/12 12:49 AM, pockets08 wrote: everything jus looks.....Too flat, and blended together, even as a plat former it just seems like nothing is really in existence.

It would be nice if you elaborated. Pointers would be appreciated.

Response to Uknownxl Art Thread 2012-05-08 00:59:14

At 5/8/12 12:53 AM, UknownXL wrote:
At 5/8/12 12:49 AM, pockets08 wrote: everything jus looks.....Too flat, and blended together, even as a plat former it just seems like nothing is really in existence.
It would be nice if you elaborated. Pointers would be appreciated.

Drop shadow possibly. there is no shadows, on any object, behind objects, that are not a part of the actual wall itself. the curtains, have light beaming on them, but show no change in color to the tone of the light beaming. so it seems like they are behind the light, rather than being touched by it. Which even so, the area still illuminates. idk - im not a profesional. those are just the things that put me off IMO.

Response to Uknownxl Art Thread 2012-05-08 01:14:23

At 5/8/12 12:59 AM, pockets08 wrote: Drop shadow possibly. there is no shadows, on any object, behind objects, that are not a part of the actual wall itself. the curtains, have light beaming on them, but show no change in color to the tone of the light beaming. so it seems like they are behind the light, rather than being touched by it. Which even so, the area still illuminates. idk - im not a profesional. those are just the things that put me off IMO.

This is actually one of the earlier images of the game and I have added shadows behind paintings and curtains. I posted this particular image because I felt it was the most appealing. I am actually suprised because I didnt think it had as many faults as im being told, but im grateful and will fix it.

Response to Uknownxl Art Thread 2012-05-08 13:35:33

At 5/8/12 01:24 AM, CypressDahlia wrote: More contrast would be nice. Everything is kinda dark and muddy right now, which is not a look that really suits platformers. I can imagine this kind of aesthetic would negatively affect gameplay if it required precision jumping.

Here is a more up to date version. Let me know what you guys think of this one.

Uknownxl Art Thread

Response to Uknownxl Art Thread 2012-05-26 22:42:09

At 5/11/12 01:25 AM, CypressDahlia wrote: That's a helluva lot better. Huge contrast hike. From a gameplay perspective that's very beneficial to the player. Games should never be difficult because they are poorly designed (aesthetically or mechanically), so it's good that you added more contrast.

Thanks. Well its a work in progress and at times I may forget things. The game engine will actually display shadows so that is not seen in the image. The game is being built using a level editor so I cant really draw shadows manually.

Ive attached an image of another project im working on. Its the game title screen. Ill post a game play image in a moment.

Uknownxl Art Thread

Response to Uknownxl Art Thread 2012-05-26 22:48:31

At 5/26/12 10:42 PM, UknownXL wrote: Ive attached an image of another project im working on. Its the game title screen. Ill post a game play image in a moment.

so is that a helmet or a robotic head?

Response to Uknownxl Art Thread 2012-05-26 22:50:35

And the other.

Uknownxl Art Thread

Response to Uknownxl Art Thread 2012-05-26 22:54:23

At 5/26/12 10:48 PM, M-Maher wrote:
At 5/26/12 10:42 PM, UknownXL wrote: Ive attached an image of another project im working on. Its the game title screen. Ill post a game play image in a moment.
so is that a helmet or a robotic head?

Its actually a helmet. You get the armor during the game. I was originally planning this long epic story but not sure if its going to reach that. The code stuff is behind schedule right now and to meet the deadline I will probably build 30 levels or so. Rather than a story with rooms and areas to explore. I would of really preferred the story route.