00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted AlexToolStudio supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Do animals respond to music?

2,802 Views | 39 Replies

Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 18:56:18

Just something I was always curious about? I mean I don't expect my dog to bob and weave to Eggman Land Crimson Carnival-Night but just wondering if maybe they're mood may take a subtle change or something. Idk, thoughts?

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 19:04:17

At 5/5/12 06:56 PM, II2none wrote: Just something I was always curious about? I mean I don't expect my dog to bob and weave to Eggman Land Crimson Carnival-Night but just wondering if maybe they're mood may take a subtle change or something. Idk, thoughts?

I don't know, however I do know that plants grow better under classical music more than other genres...

All elites originate from noobs.

- Zirocket-8

BBS Signature

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 19:06:12

At 5/5/12 07:04 PM, Zirocket-8 wrote:
I don't know, however I do know that plants grow better under classical music more than other genres...

Someone got a blue ribbon in the 7th grade science fair.

To OP: I can only assume they do, though if it is visible or noticeable, I have no idea.

You have to know your name.

LOOP

One day you'll all miss me.

BBS Signature

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 19:11:50

I have only had cats in my entire life, and cats don't really respond to anything, lol. Although I can admit at times when I have blasted death metal in my house and my cat was near me, I'd see it looking around like it saw a ghost with its eyes all open and stuff and sprinting away.

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 19:13:37

Depends on the animal, the type of animal and what type of music is playing. My dogs like my Usher ringtone. My aunt's cat used to like gospel music when he was living.

HEY BOO!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 19:15:44

A couple of years ago when I was still a crazy cat lady (a dark time...), one of my younger kitties would act noticeably more playful whenever she heard music from the game Halo 3, especially the main theme. I suppose with that in mind, it is certainly possible that they respond to music.

I mean, it's either that, or she just wanted to annoy me while I played. Could be both.

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 19:34:10

Our love of music had to develop from somewhere. We're just one of the first species to make our own music; nature has been playing Thunder, Rain, and Ocean since forever.

I wonder if other animals besides birds can make music "consciously", and also do so for pure self-enjoyment?

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 19:38:36

I heard that a pair of lab rats died after being exposed to dubstep for too long.

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 19:42:08

Recent studies indicate that music can serve as a contextual conditioned stimulus in
rats and influence drug-seeking behavior during abstinence. The purpose of the present study was to
further assess the effectiveness of music as a conditioned stimulus in rats, to determine ratsâEUTM preferences
for two contrasting pieces of music, and to determine ratsâEUTM preferences for music versus silence. To this
end, we created an apparatus that gave instrumental control of musical choice (Miles Davis vs.
Beethoven) to the rats themselves. After determining baseline musical preference, animals were conditioned with cocaine (10 mg/kg) to the music they initially preferred least, with alternating conditioning
sessions pairing saline with the music preferred most. The animals were subsequently tested in a
drug-free state to determine what effect this conditioning had on musical preference. The results indicate
that music serves as an effective contextual conditioned stimulus, significantly increasing both musical
preference and locomotor activity after repeated cocaine conditioning. Furthermore, we found that rats
initially favor silence over music, but that this preference can be altered as a result of cocaine-paired
conditioning. These findings demonstrate that, after repeated association with reward (cocaine), music
can engender a conditioned context preference in rats; these findings are consistent with other evidence
showing that musical contextual cues can reinstate drug-seeking behavior in rats.

cocaine makes rats like music

dal lunge ci mira

di giove l'ira, e in un baleno va all'eghe in seno, da regal sede

tosto provvede, fa i generosi destrier squammosi ratto accoppiar

BBS Signature

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 19:42:46

My cat doesn't give a shit if i'm playing music.

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 19:43:45

At 5/5/12 07:42 PM, GhostOfHalloween wrote: Recent studies indicate...

Citation or Plagiarism!

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 19:46:43

At 5/5/12 07:43 PM, NorskeDrittsekk wrote:
At 5/5/12 07:42 PM, GhostOfHalloween wrote: Recent studies indicate...
Citation or Plagiarism!

Polston, J. E.; Glick, S. D.; Behavioral Neuroscience, Vol 125(4), Aug, 2011. pp. 674-680. [Journal Article]

dal lunge ci mira

di giove l'ira, e in un baleno va all'eghe in seno, da regal sede

tosto provvede, fa i generosi destrier squammosi ratto accoppiar

BBS Signature

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 20:50:22

Spiders are shown to respond to music (5:50)
They seem to prefer classical music.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 20:56:01

At 5/5/12 07:11 PM, mothballs wrote: I have only had cats in my entire life, and cats don't really respond to anything, lol. Although I can admit at times when I have blasted death metal in my house and my cat was near me, I'd see it looking around like it saw a ghost with its eyes all open and stuff and sprinting away.

You and me are going to be good friends.

returning from 8 years hiatus haha so maybe renovating a little :>

FOLLOW 4 FOOL WRITING & POETRY HERE

BBS Signature

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 21:04:33

Yes, my cat meows non-stop when I play house music.

Hey man, hows it goin?

BBS Signature

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 21:12:16

At 5/5/12 08:50 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Spiders are shown to respond to music (5:50)
They seem to prefer classical music.

Days of the week have color?

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 21:15:41

im sure they respond to it like it is noise

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 22:06:09

My cat seems to like anything with a saxaphone, she seems pretty happy when I'm playing a Coltrane CD. She also enjoys Chopin, Dead Kennedys, and Napalm Death.

BBS Signature

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 22:12:45

all creatures with even minor amounts of intelligence respond to music

BBS Signature

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-05 22:22:38

At 5/5/12 10:12 PM, tox wrote: all creatures with even minor amounts of intelligence respond to music

Example?

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-06 00:20:14

At 5/5/12 10:22 PM, II2none wrote:
At 5/5/12 10:12 PM, tox wrote: all creatures with even minor amounts of intelligence respond to music
Example?

i would name a few people on the bbs to make a bad joke but i don't want to violate the rules by talking too much shit about other users....

BBS Signature

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-06 00:54:53

At 5/5/12 06:56 PM, II2none wrote: Just something I was always curious about? I mean I don't expect my dog to bob and weave to Eggman Land Crimson Carnival-Night but just wondering if maybe they're mood may take a subtle change or something. Idk, thoughts?

Yes

|NG Is Dead|

BBS Signature

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-06 01:10:11

At 5/5/12 10:22 PM, II2none wrote:
Example?

my dog, about half a foot tall, white and about 10 lbs..
mostly blind, cant really hear, cant find his food dish, and wanders aimlessly around the house walking into things and sniffing the same wall again and again or a leg or a whatever
only knows how to shiver and cower and piss itself..
cant sit still, cant figure out what a human is or a door, cant figure out what a cat is, cant figure out much of anything

but play a musical instrument and he sits on his ass and focuses more or less on the direction of the music, and will sometimes howl along to the tune of the beat, a higher howl for a upbeat song a lower and longer howl for a sad or deeper song

BBS Signature

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-06 06:44:41

omg arrest this man he trying to hypnotize animals!

BBS Signature

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-06 07:40:05

Depends, when I remember when I played some "Queen - A kind of Magic" on my pc at a good volume, my 2 hamsters came out and looked, heh.

Signatures are for losers...and I am a loser.

Plus, I need to stop typing fast as hell.

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-06 07:50:43

I swear my cat becomes way more calm when classical music is playing...its really weird.

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-06 07:51:54

At 5/6/12 12:54 AM, Phantox wrote:
Yes

11/10 post phantox does it again

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-06 13:48:03

72 mice were split into 3 groups.

They all were to complete a maze 3 times over the course of a single week. While not attempting to solve the maze, they were forced to listen to nothing but music for 10 hours a day (or nothing).

One group listened to nothing but heavy metal for 10 hours a day.
The other listened to nothing but Mozart and other classical music for 10 hours a day.
The last had no music being played to them.

The mice that had no music managed to cut back their maze completion time by 5 minutes by the third trial.

The mice that listened to classical music managed to cut back their maze completion time by 8 and a half minutes by the third trial.

The mice that listened to Heavy Metal, however, ADDED 20 minutes to their maze completion time, and could not complete the full experiment because they all ended up killing each other.

Interesting, no?

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-06 14:58:39

At 5/6/12 01:48 PM, NeutralObjections wrote: Interesting, no?

Quite, and somewhat expected because of this article.

BBS Signature

Response to Do animals respond to music? 2012-05-06 15:03:49

At 5/6/12 02:58 PM, Tydusis wrote:
At 5/6/12 01:48 PM, NeutralObjections wrote: Interesting, no?
Quite, and somewhat expected because of this article.

What a load of shit that article is.

BBS Signature