00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted Ministerhomer supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Delete my account 2012-05-05 10:53:22

I know it's impossible to delete accounts, so here's the deal. I don't have any kind of problem with Newgrounds, I just want to change my screen name. Out of all the sites I've used (BandCamp, ReverbNation, Myspace, Facebook, etc.) Newgrounds is by far the best place to host my music. I've gotten maybe a hundred hits combined with all those other sites. So if a mod or admin could either help me do that, or delete this account so I can make a new one to replace it, that'd be fantastic. I definitely don't want to leave Newgrounds, I just want to change my name without having to use a different e-mail address.

I'm absolutely baffled that a site like this makes it so hard (read: literally impossible) to make simple changes to your account by yourself. I'm pretty sure crappy sites like NeoPets and Gaia Online have you beat there, guys. And that's just sad. I read somewhere that it's supposed to prevent hackers from deleting other people's accounts or something, but that doesn't make any sense. It's like removing your brake lines to prevent a carjacker. Except that isn't right. It's so nonsensical, I can't even come up with an analogy for it.

Regardless, I don't think this is too big of a request. Failing that, I don't see why it has to be such a big request. I don't think I've ever seen a site that flat out refuses to let you leave, even when you plan to come back again a few minutes later. We're members, not hostages.

Response to Delete my account 2012-05-05 11:15:46

You used to be able to change your name, but nowadays everybody has their own profile page with a unique URL. The admins wanted to prevent having tons of dead links scattered around the site and they decided to remove the option. I believe it also gives problems with tracking store orders amongst other things. Therefore they don't really like to do name changes anymore.

In your particular case I think you can send a PM to Wade and ask him for a name change. You've made some contributions to the site and otherwise you'd have to go through the process of having to have your submissions approved by audio moderators again. So just send him a PM and ask him kindly to change your name.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Delete my account 2012-05-05 11:56:23

At 5/5/12 10:53 AM, DreadBaron wrote: I read somewhere that [removing the option to delete your account] is supposed to prevent hackers from deleting other people's accounts or something, but that doesn't make any sense. It's like removing your brake lines to prevent a carjacker. Except that isn't right. It's so nonsensical, I can't even come up with an analogy for it.

How's that nonsensical? You're removing the ability for people to destroy all your submissions and content, as well as avoiding the deadlinks issue that Auz mentioned.

I really can't see how it's like removing the brakes from your car. It's more like putting a "Void if Removed" sticker on your computer case, so that only site admins can do significant levels of tampering to your account.

BBS Signature

Response to Delete my account 2012-05-05 12:51:34

At 5/5/12 11:56 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 5/5/12 10:53 AM, DreadBaron wrote: I read somewhere that [removing the option to delete your account] is supposed to prevent hackers from deleting other people's accounts or something, but that doesn't make any sense. It's like removing your brake lines to prevent a carjacker. Except that isn't right. It's so nonsensical, I can't even come up with an analogy for it.
How's that nonsensical? You're removing the ability for people to destroy all your submissions and content, as well as avoiding the deadlinks issue that Auz mentioned.

I really can't see how it's like removing the brakes from your car. It's more like putting a "Void if Removed" sticker on your computer case, so that only site admins can do significant levels of tampering to your account.

Well like I said, the brake lines thing was a terrible analogy. But to be fair, the sticker thing doesn't quite work either. The sticker's pretty easy to peel off, and then you can do whatever you want with the computer, you've just voided your warranty. Although to take it further, getting in touch with Wade is kind of like contacting the manufacturer, and so on and so forth, and now we're just taking this way too far. You know what? Analogies suck. They always degrade into a pointless discussion on semantics and technicalities. Screw 'em. I'm just gonna take Auz's advice and stop wasting your time. Thanks for all the help, guys!

Response to Delete my account 2012-05-05 15:00:46

At 5/5/12 01:12 PM, Travis wrote: Don't be so pessimistic...

Contact Wade. He is very good about changing the names of users who contribute to the site.

Done and done! And yeah, I started ranting there, haha. It happens, I'm a dumbass sometimes.

Response to Delete my account 2012-05-08 21:18:44

So... About how long does it take Wade to respond to messages. I know he's busy as hell, so I don't want to send another message and heckle him. I just really want to get this name change underway.

Response to Delete my account 2012-05-10 04:36:53

Give it a few days and if no response try TomFulp.

Response to Delete my account 2012-05-10 08:55:33

At 5/10/12 04:36 AM, Halberd wrote: Give it a few days and if no response try TomFulp.

Gotcha! Thanks.

Response to Delete my account 2012-05-12 01:03:01

At 5/10/12 11:47 AM, mandog wrote:
At 5/5/12 11:15 AM, Auz wrote: You used to be able to change your name, but nowadays everybody has their own profile page with a unique URL. The admins wanted to prevent having tons of dead links scattered around the site and they decided to remove the option. I believe it also gives problems with tracking store orders amongst other things. Therefore they don't really like to do name changes anymore.

In your particular case I think you can send a PM to Wade and ask him for a name change. You've made some contributions to the site and otherwise you'd have to go through the process of having to have your submissions approved by audio moderators again. So just send him a PM and ask him kindly to change your name.
I never got to see that option, I wish I did.
I would change my name to p0000rz09 then back.

The useless fun I would have :). But I PM'd Tom and I got a name change, so do that.

Sweet! I'm incredibly tired right now (72-ish hours of sold out concerts (I'm a (very busy) stagehand), very little food and even less sleep), but I'll be all over that once I wake up and have about five breakfasts. Thanks for all the help you guys!

P.S. How'd you like all those parentheses? I probably shouldn't be typing right now. I might accidentally crush someone under a heap of punctuation. G'night, folks!

Response to Delete my account 2012-05-18 13:00:44

It worked, guys! Tom's the man (obviously)! And I just bumped this thread for no good reason! Woo!!!