00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Becky's Art thread :D

63,400 Views | 459 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-09-30 16:35:18

At 9/28/12 10:24 AM, Sockembop wrote:
At 9/28/12 07:52 AM, BeckyRawr wrote: Thank you kind sir :D

I played around with colour. ...i'm bad at this
Try setting the layer with your sketch to overlay and colouring on a layer beneath it.

I would have but i went insane with the line layer so the colour wouldn't even show through if i did that :[

Had another go at drawing a Siren. Used some of the concept art as a reference

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-09-30 16:57:05

Last one was a lil small. Tried to ink it, looks pretty bad, i'll try and clean it up

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-09-30 20:47:37

Trying to learn patience -.-

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-09-30 21:09:38

At 9/30/12 04:35 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: I would have but i went insane with the line layer so the colour wouldn't even show through if i did that :[

Lower the opacity on the lines layer. Make a new layer on top and redo the lines you want solid black.

BBS Signature

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-03 21:10:40

Done!

Really need to learn how to colour and do line art. it looks lazy :[

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-03 22:07:45

At 10/3/12 09:10 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: Done!
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/beckyrawr/maya
Really need to learn how to colour and do line art. it looks lazy :[

You know, it's not bad. I could tell you the typical stuff about how the anatomy and proportions are a bit off, but looking at some of your other art, I am pretty sure you have at least a basic grasp of anatomy because other stuff you've done looks to be properly proportioned (albeit with comic-style anatomy rather than realistic anatomy).

With this particular drawing I think the problem is that it feels like something is getting lost in the transition from the sketch lines to the "inked" lines in the final product.

For example, there's line variation in the black lines of the picture, but where that variation occurs doesn't really make any sense or add to the figure. You want a line to get thicker on parts of the body that are thicker or have more weight to them to create the illusion of contours.

Take the hair, for instance. If I were going to ink that, I would start with a thin line at the top of the head and have it get gradually thicker as it went down, because something is weighing down that hair so it should look heavier at the bottom than at the top.

If we were dealing with the torso, starting from the underarm to about where the ribcage ends, I would have a line that started out thick and got gradually thinner. Then, from the ribcage down to where the hips connect to the legs, I would have a thin line that gradually gets thicker. The reason for that is because around the waistline is where this figure is going to be the thinnest, whereas around the chest and hips she's obviously going to be thicker.

This isn't an exact science, it's an art, so to some extent it's a matter of trial and error in figuring out where to vary line thickness. But if you think about it in terms of what part of the body you're illustrating and how much weight you want to give to it, that might be helpful in creating variations in line thickness that add to the overall quality of what you're drawing.

If you want an example of where I think you did a good job with varying line thickness, I would say take a look at your Pyramind Head drawing.

The only other advice I would give is that, for now, if you can, don't ink stuff digitally. If you have access to a scanner or you are confident enough taking photos of your art, then I would highly recommend drawing and inking everything on paper first and then coloring it using a computer.

This is a personal preference on my part, but I think if you are at the stage where you're still learning how to ink, it's much easier to learn using pen on paper than with a tablet and a computer. The reason why I say this is because there's a lot more you have to worry about if you're inking something on a computer; pressure sensitivity; brush shape; with the pen tool in GIMP you actually have to input numbers configure both the tilt of the pen and the rate at which ink flows; and a whole host of other little details. I don't understand a lot of it and I would consider myself to be at least a competent inker.

Anyway, the tools you use to ink are up to you. There's a fairly cheap set of artist pens from Faber-Castell that I've been using to ink stuff lately, and I would recommend them to you as well since we both have styles influenced by manga and anime. If there's a Hobby Lobby or Michael's near you, you should be able to find them without too many problems.

Also, as you improve and you want a more professional presentation of certain things, I would recommend buying some Bristol Board to draw on, as it takes ink a little better and it's thicker and more durable than regular sketch paper. For pen and ink work, you'll want Bristol board with a "smooth" finish. For mixed-media stuff use the "vellum" finish.

Another small tool that is actually REALLY useful is a kneaded eraser.
You can mold and shape it so that you can erase small details without smudging or destroying pencil work that you've spent an hour (or more) laying out and personally I find it to be an indispensable tool whenever I am sitting down to draw something.

I feel like I kind of dumped a bunch of random information out here, but it's because I have actually been watching your thread for awhile and I think that you have a lot of talent and a lot of potential to be better than you are right now. Part of that process is going to be learning to put in the time it takes to create a finished piece, which is something that varies person by person. But right now, if you rush stuff, it's generally going to come out bad (although there is something to be said about learning to go quickly).

Anyway, keep up the good work and keep posting.

BBS Signature

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-03 22:53:49

Thanks so much for the advice! I never thought about the weight of lines and how it effects it. This will really help me with my new stuff and when i finally get to my comic.
As for drawing and inking on paper, the stuff i do on paper (in my opinion) is a lot better then what I do on my tablet. But I don't have a scanner sadly. The pyramid head picture was done on paper first but i took a photo of it with my Ipod so i can't get the quality.
I shall invest in a good scanner though. Also decent pens, like the ones you have pointed out.
Again thank you very much, I will be referring back to your post when I start something new :D

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-04 23:16:39

random...doodle.

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-05 13:29:57

At 10/4/12 11:21 PM, Kostou wrote: Arrrr matey. Are you going to finish it? I'm kind of interested as to how it would look colored :D...good job btw.

I suppose I could colour it for practice :3 thanks

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-07 20:08:34

10 min sketch

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-07 21:33:20

At 10/7/12 08:13 PM, Kostou wrote: definitely worth of you inking and coloring this. I want to see this one finished! :D

I'll try. I'm just so damn bad at inking. But thank you very much :D

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-08 11:19:50

At 10/7/12 09:33 PM, BeckyRawr wrote:
At 10/7/12 08:13 PM, Kostou wrote: definitely worth of you inking and coloring this. I want to see this one finished! :D

Try zooming in and focusing on one line at a time. Break out the eraser tool to clean up the line if necessary.

BBS Signature

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-08 11:54:55

At 10/8/12 11:19 AM, Sockembop wrote:
At 10/7/12 09:33 PM, BeckyRawr wrote:
Try zooming in and focusing on one line at a time. Break out the eraser tool to clean up the line if necessary.

Like Socky said^

I also know a little cheap inking technique but it will take a large time to finish if you're really really slow on drawing lines and while not being confident about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OtUxbxHgu8

Btw this video is about 2 hours long, so look carefully and have popcorns ready.

Overall, pay attention to the image size and see how the artist is carelessly ignoring his sketch and how sometimes his lines are wobbly. Also notice that the pixel size of his brush is probably 3 px. And also remember to draw your lines confidently ;3

BBS Signature

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-08 16:48:35

Thanks guys :D
When I have 2 hours to spare i shall get the snacks ready and watch that video.
Till then I will put in a lil patience and zoom in like sock said :3 It just takes soooooooooo long :'[ I'm such a lazy artist.

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-11 19:41:56

Random sketch Bizzzach!

She have some kick ass gun of some sort PEW PEW!

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-11 23:19:42

blerrebluuugy

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-13 17:05:10

I was fucking about till my laptop committed suicide....selfish bastard.

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-14 16:41:56

Started on a background for a picture. Still very early in. As you can tell.

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-14 21:26:55

Character design from a song. will finish it eventually.

Any c&c? I am not using references for the bodies i've done lately.

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-14 21:36:59

Okkk for some reason i cannot upload anything here or in the dumping grounds.

So here is a link :3

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-15 08:50:18

At 10/14/12 09:36 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: Okkk for some reason i cannot upload anything here or in the dumping grounds.

So what song did you get inspired by to draw her?

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-15 13:52:03

At 10/15/12 08:50 AM, argile wrote:
At 10/14/12 09:36 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: Okkk for some reason i cannot upload anything here or in the dumping grounds.

So what song did you get inspired by to draw her?

Songs called Holly Wood the Cracked by coheed & Cambria. Awesome song :D

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-15 20:50:37

A WIP for a friend.

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-15 21:10:13

At 10/15/12 08:50 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: A WIP for a friend.

Is that Curly Brace from Cave Story?

BBS Signature

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-16 11:50:34

At 10/15/12 09:10 PM, johnnycancer wrote:
At 10/15/12 08:50 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: A WIP for a friend.
Is that Curly Brace from Cave Story?

Nope. I just made her up. Going to make her a vampire:3

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-17 17:24:08

Sadly my laptop has died so digital work is on hold till it fixed :[

So only sketches for now.

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-17 17:25:55

Another sketch

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-17 17:29:18

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd one more.

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-17 17:37:25

At 10/17/12 05:29 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd one more.

Something seems broken in this one...

Response to Becky's Art thread :D 2012-10-17 17:40:07

At 10/17/12 05:37 PM, PatBest22 wrote:
At 10/17/12 05:29 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd one more.
Something seems broken in this one...

I think i put the wings in at a wrong angle. Or maybe her left leg is off. XD not used to drawing strange poses.