00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Who inspires you?

6,179 Views | 55 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Who inspires you? 2012-04-30 22:50:52

Doesn't matter the genre. Rock, Hip Hop, EDM, anything. Tell us, NG.

Oh shit.

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-04-30 22:58:22

Me, myself and I

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-04-30 22:59:05

At 4/30/12 10:58 PM, Sequenced wrote: Me, myself and I

touche good sir.

Oh shit.

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-01 00:28:53

Ron Jeremy

Music is my passion , not my business.

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-01 07:54:57

My desire for sexual reproduction

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-01 09:43:21

At 5/1/12 07:54 AM, MrSaint wrote: My desire for sexual reproduction

and with a win, it's the russian!

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-01 10:20:38

People who shirk genre. Beck, Bjork, even Korn, even though they only did dubstep album bcuz it was popular. But even them, because they didn't effng worry about genre.

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-01 10:58:35

Gift of Gab (+Chief Xcel, Blackalicious, Quaanum records)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYxIN8vKGIo
Danny Brown http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnOA8SWrYlQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmqU0dqZzAQ, +DopeFiend)

Those two lyrically are the most inspiration as of late. Dopefiend/Danny are both from Detroit and their bruiser brigade sound rules. Gift of Gab is amazing and his main rap troupe Blackalicious is also good in this regard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqqPyKumZqM

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-01 11:09:11

I don't even fall under rock, hip-hop or EDM for the vast majority of my songs.

So, inspirations in any random order: Enya (<3), Akiko Shikata, Niamh Kavanagh, Vangelis, Kitaro, Gene Krupa (<3), The Shadows, Yoko Shimomura, John Michael Talbot, Evanescence.

I draw a lot of ideas from a number of artists.

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-01 19:20:37

Oddly enough, Eichiru Oda...and he's not a musician.

"Whoever said Doritos don't grow on trees was a big fat liar!"

Furry and Proud.

Dare to troll me? Be my guest. Come get some.

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-02 00:21:10

I can't point to an instance where I've been like, "ok, I've been inspired now," after hearing a song, but I guess if I had to name someone, I would say.....eh, how bouts Wesley Willis. Rock and Roll McDonalds inspired me to dinner, and later, I was inspired to McRib diahreah.

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-02 16:14:32

At 5/1/12 11:09 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: I don't even fall under rock, hip-hop or EDM for the vast majority of my songs.

So, inspirations in any random order: Enya (<3), Akiko Shikata, Niamh Kavanagh, Vangelis, Kitaro, Gene Krupa (<3), The Shadows, Yoko Shimomura, John Michael Talbot, Evanescence.

I draw a lot of ideas from a number of artists.

Yoko Shimomura <3 Dearly Beloved is the most beautiful thing ever composed.

Oh shit.

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-02 16:25:23

Opeth, The Mars Volta and Radiohead run heavy on my veins.

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...

Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-02 18:58:06

Many artists. NIN, Bloodhound Gang, Psychostick, Tool, Shiina Ringo, Karnivool, Eskmo, 12 rounds, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Zu, Saul Williams, and probably lots more. I tried to keep it to artists that inspire me vs artists I really enjoy listening to . Animals as leaders and Amon Tobin are amazing, but they haven't really effected my music. Other artists I love may end up influencing and inspiring me in the future. I look forward to that.

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-02 19:26:01

almost every artist I like inspires me, but right now I'm gonna say Rameses B - that guy is amazing in all genres he does

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-02 22:53:44

wish I knew who/what in particular.

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-03 02:21:24

I really enjoyed writing pop/rock music but I didn't take it too seriously. I had some fun times jamming with friends and all was good. After a few years, I began to lose interest because our little band didn't really get together anymore, and writing seemed to bore me as I could not create anything totally original...

And then there was Skrillex. After hearing his hit, Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites, I realised there was a whole new world in the electronic genre. There was a way new sounds could be created and actually sound fantastic. If it weren't for Skrillex, I probably would have lost interest in music and would be nowhere near as good as I am now... I also would not have lost so much money on gear, but anyway...

disclaimer: I am not a wannabe Skrillex, my eyes were simply opened to the fact that we can create original, interesting, and awesome sounds, and implement them into great tunes.

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-03 17:21:14

At 5/2/12 04:14 PM, pieandeggs wrote:
Yoko Shimomura

I like her music, too. She's done so many different games, but my favorites from her are "The Darkness Nova", "U.B.", "Blue of the End", and "The 13th Dilemma".

Furry and Proud.

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-03 17:23:28

At 5/1/12 07:20 PM, kaffekane wrote: Oddly enough, Eichiru Oda...and he's not a musician.

One Piece inspires your music? How?

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-03 17:30:55

At 5/3/12 05:23 PM, Buoy wrote:
At 5/1/12 07:20 PM, kaffekane wrote: Oddly enough, Eichiru Oda...and he's not a musician.
One Piece inspires your music? How?

A world that is equally serious and zany, and pulls it off just right. I would like to be able to convey a world (or maybe a universe?) like that someday. True that I'm not even close to that kind of mark.

That world is also a contrast ranging from lighthearted freedom to extreme dystopia. How many people can imagine so big and succeed?

Furry and Proud.

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-03 17:33:35

You audio folks inspire me.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-03 17:35:46

At 5/3/12 05:30 PM, kaffekane wrote: A world that is equally serious and zany, and pulls it off just right. I would like to be able to convey a world (or maybe a universe?) like that someday. True that I'm not even close to that kind of mark.

That world is also a contrast ranging from lighthearted freedom to extreme dystopia. How many people can imagine so big and succeed?

Oh okay so it's just the general characteristic of the story. Yeah I love it too man. I remember watching (eventually reading) it for hours on hours on hours on end for a period

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-05 06:58:21

At 4/30/12 10:50 PM, pieandeggs wrote: Doesn't matter the genre. Rock, Hip Hop, EDM, anything. Tell us, NG.

Crystal Castles originally. I'll stop here before I add anything sarcastic ("What inspires you?" is a damn dangerous question in the internet)

: What? No I won't level up, I like my watergun.

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-05 11:25:24

I have a good list of unknown artists in general but well-known in the scene.

Purper Motion, Nemesis, Skaven, Warder, Wayfinder, bkl, Kebby(kb), 4mat, Mentor, blkpanther. And much more.

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-06 15:56:01

Ron Jeremy

and

Charles Bukowski

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-06 16:18:50

My inspiration list could go on for pages :P

Bach, Corelli, Boccherini, Sweelinck, Bononcini, Mozart, Haydn, Clementi, Beethoven, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Hummel, Dvorak, Chopin, Pierne, Glinka, Rachmaninoff, Rimsky-Korsakov, Grieg, Debussy, Wagner, Holst, Elgar (who was himself inspired by German Romantic composers), Verdi, more Beethoven, more Brahms, more Mendelssohn, John Williams, Michael Giacchino, James Newton Howard, Buddy Holly, The Beatles, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Gene Krupa, James Dooley, Graeme Norgate, Grant Kirkhope, Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori, Christopher Lennertz, Hans Zimmer, then a little Tchaikovsky and topped off with some more Beethoven, Brahms, and Rachmaninoff for good measure.

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-06 16:19:09

I'm inspired by many people, places, and things.

More Visual:
Hayao Miyazaki
Shigeru Miyamoto
Mondrian

More Audio:
Kanye West
Bangladesh
Vampire Weekend

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-09 09:04:24

I mostly listen to Film/Game Scores, Classical, and Jazz. These guys provide me inspiration on a near daily basis:

Nobuo Uematsu- His music is what inspired me to start playing piano as a kid and to begin composing. Huge variety of styles with memorable melodies from some of the most beloved RPGs out there (Final Fantasy, some of Chrono Trigger, etc).

Joe Hisaishi- He's a boss. Composer, conductor, orchestrator, pianist, and he's composed the soundtracks for several of Japan's best selling movies of all time (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, etc). His fusion of eastern instrumentation with western harmony is very cool.

John Williams- Sweeping orchestrations, unforgettable melodies, he's a given when it comes to film scoring.

Rachmaninoff- As far as raw emotional intensity, I can't think of anyone more impressive than this guy. He uses some very inventive harmonic material, too.

Chopin- Master of composing melodies. Beautiful music.

Bach- Essentially the father of western music (NOT country western...). Incredible harmonic and contrapuntal inventiveness, and he was a master of keyboard improvisation.

Oscar Peterson- An icon of Jazz piano. One of the great masters.

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-09 09:46:36

At 5/9/12 09:04 AM, BlazingDragon wrote: Nobuo Uematsu

Friggin good choice. Don't know how I forgot this man. He makes some of the best music in the world, period. If you've ever seen his stuff done by a full orchestra, you'll see what I mean.

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2012-05-10 21:10:51

For Orchestral Music : Grant Kirkhope (Banjo Kazooie, DOnkey Kong 64, Kingdoms of Amular)
MELODY MELODY FREAKING CATCHY MELODIES!!! I love him soo much!

For electronic music: Renard (Lapfox Trax): Over 1000 songs and they are all great :p He has a great personality too!