New Topic Respond to this Topic
PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-07-20 10:58:53 Reply

At 7/20/12 10:56 AM, PMMurphy wrote: Im gonna continue on the porportions vrs detail comment.

Also find some art websites about figure drawing and exercises to do on how to improve your proportions and such. You will have to take lessons from various websites and develop your own technique of studying propotions.

Remember you dont simply just draw what you see. You analyze what you see then construct it. if that makes sense.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-07-20 11:16:00 Reply

At 7/20/12 10:58 AM, PMMurphy wrote:
At 7/20/12 10:56 AM, PMMurphy wrote: Im gonna continue on the porportions vrs detail comment.
Also find some art websites about figure drawing and exercises to do on how to improve your proportions and such. You will have to take lessons from various websites and develop your own technique of studying propotions.

Remember you dont simply just draw what you see. You analyze what you see then construct it. if that makes sense.

I have been doing just that for the past month or two. Granted, I am not the best in it (far from it in fact), and now I will expect people to have a go at me saying, 'heck you're only concentrating on detail yadda yadda yadda!' If anyone even paid attention to my sketchlines, I was actually trying to follow what they taught.

Not saying my art is good. There is room for improvement. I could probably call myself the worst artist there ever is. But no way am I going to back down when I'm being told that I'm only looking at the pithy detail when I am actually trying to draw proper human figures. Heck, I even wondered whether the proportions were right in my recent drawing.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Voice Actor
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-07-20 11:29:55 Reply

At 7/18/12 07:54 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: It's been a while.
By the way, I have this picture in my submissions on Newgrounds if anyone's up for details.

Nice kicks.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-07-20 12:08:22 Reply

At 7/20/12 11:29 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 7/18/12 07:54 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: It's been a while.
By the way, I have this picture in my submissions on Newgrounds if anyone's up for details.
Nice kicks.

Thanks. : ) Can anything be done to make them better?

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-07-20 12:33:23 Reply

At 7/20/12 12:08 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Thanks. : ) Can anything be done to make them better?

I would say make your lines a little cleaner and smoother. Maybe make Mario and Luigi a little more cartoony, I'm thinking Paper Mario-esque, since the other objects and characters and in a simpler style. You can't really change that now, but maybe for future reference. :)

And I would go over the coloring again to make sure that there aren't any missed spots.

In my experience I find painting shoes lasts longer than markers, so maybe you should try that too.

They're really cute though :3 Love Yoshi and the egg.

PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-07-20 13:17:51 Reply

Drawing proportions is more then just looking at them i'm not sure what sites you look at. But when i do figure studies i do gestural drawings only.

Before i draw a subject i do gestures of the subject repeaditly untill i can produce a proportional likeness multiple times in a row. I mark specific areas and analyze every gesture drawing along the way. The marked areas tell me where i can start a certain part of the figured based on what i see and where i cant.

Then when i feel like i captured the proportions i then draw it on the final product. I learned doing this process helps tenfold and makes your drawings far mar accurate.

Here is my CA sketchbook if you scroll down you will see what im talking about. Some of my still lifes are accompanied with gesture studies.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3491593#post34 91593

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-07-20 15:42:01 Reply

At 7/20/12 12:33 PM, Kashi wrote:
At 7/20/12 12:08 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Thanks. : ) Can anything be done to make them better?
I would say make your lines a little cleaner and smoother. Maybe make Mario and Luigi a little more cartoony, I'm thinking Paper Mario-esque, since the other objects and characters and in a simpler style. You can't really change that now, but maybe for future reference. :)

And I would go over the coloring again to make sure that there aren't any missed spots.

In my experience I find painting shoes lasts longer than markers, so maybe you should try that too.

They're really cute though :3 Love Yoshi and the egg.

Thanks! ^_^ I will take everything in. I've had people ask me for customised shoes if I could make them, but if I were to send them the shoes I have, I'd only land a claim for unsatisfactory goods!

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2012-07-20 15:43:32 Reply

At 7/20/12 01:17 PM, PMMurphy wrote: [Gesture drawing pointers]
Here is my CA sketchbook if you scroll down you will see what im talking about. Some of my still lifes are accompanied with gesture studies.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3491593#post34 91593

Thanks! I will take a look, and practice from there. I'm sorry for all the earlier confusion.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2013-07-18 07:26:47 Reply

Good heavens, it's been a while since I posted here. >_< Yes, I got very involved in the audio side of things (and I still am). I feel kinda bad for being inactive for so long...

Anyway... here's something I churned out fairly recently.

• The Emergency Call
    The Emergency Call by TroisNyxEtienne

"Pascal! Say this isn't so...!" "I'm afraid it's true, Marcus. Strange dark beasts are wreaking havoc all over Hertford. The ...

Score
    4.454545455 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2013-07-19 13:30:09 Reply

Random drawings. I don't know what kind of study this was meant to be...

Troisnyx's Art Thread

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2013-07-19 18:02:51 Reply

Another sketch. Unfinished; this is all I have for now.

*happy sigh*

Troisnyx's Art Thread

hhoulding
hhoulding
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2013-07-19 18:26:42 Reply

i love your art !

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2013-08-23 12:48:32 Reply

Two new pieces since I last posted here. Please, do let me know what you think!

• Knights of the Tank Table
    Knights of the Tank Table by Troisnyx

Woo Castle Crashers! So this took me an hour to draw and eight hours to colour. To say nothing about uploading, cropping and ...

Score
    4.736842105 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone
  • Fiat Voluntas Tua
    Fiat Voluntas Tua by Troisnyx

Fiat Voluntas Tua. Latin for "Thy Will Be Done". This is one of my most heavily symbolic works to date. The insignia of the...

Score
    4.285714286 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2013-12-16 07:29:58 Reply

Been a while, again, since I posted anything here. So sorry! But naturally, I've been spending more time on music than on art.

This is my most recent WIP. Well.... only the traditional half of it. Black Sharpie, magic pens, A4 paper. Now, the original resolution is 300 dpi, but..... upload limitations. >_<

I have been listening to a little bit of Genki Rockets lately, and so came the motivation for this piece.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

Hyptosis
Hyptosis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Artist
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2013-12-16 10:26:06 Reply

That is so much bright and cute! Mine eyes burn from it! :D Keep it up. ^_^

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2013-12-16 18:46:18 Reply

Progress on the image. Not finished by any stretch.

On that note, I do realise that one of the spacemen have what seems to be two left hands. That was a mistake on my part, which I'm afraid I'm going to be unable to correct. I tend to confuse the order of hands a lot...

Still, though, I will admit, I quite like where this is going overall.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

PotentApogee
PotentApogee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2013-12-17 08:37:34 Reply

At 12/16/13 06:46 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Progress on the image. Not finished by any stretch.

On that note, I do realise that one of the spacemen have what seems to be two left hands. That was a mistake on my part, which I'm afraid I'm going to be unable to correct. I tend to confuse the order of hands a lot...

Still, though, I will admit, I quite like where this is going overall.

Looking good so far. The deep blue gives it a much starrier, lunar feel.

I would've thought that GIMP (is that what you're using?) would have let you cut out the dodgy hand and then you could've drawn a new one digitally. I've used that a lot before: interface was dodgy at first to me, but I like how it handles colorisations and stuff.

Ah well, it's a minor snag. The blue gloves of the human figures are the same colour as the background: I take it they won't stay like that, since they're kinda obscure in comparison to everything else.

It's coming together nicely though, Troisnyx, and it's good to see your artistic side flourishing again (as well as your musical one.) Keep it up!
-Potent

Daru925
Daru925
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2013-12-17 11:02:14 Reply

This will make a nice postcard :)
A lot of ideas here.

If you use softwares, some humble suggestions:
_I would darken the space a little more, some objects have similar diffuse colors and they blend with the background, at least, on my high contrast screen.
_You could fix the right lefthand pretty easily.
Just erase/colorize the visible thumb and fingers inner contours, keeping the hand shape the same, there it's inverted :)
_Also an overall but very subtle lighting would add some depht and details.
http://www.cuzzsoft.com/wallpaper/1920x1080-10242-space-war-game-scene-1353.jpg
It's only a contrast of two colors.
No need to go that far and details because your style does not demand it at all, but just the light of a nearby star off screen vs soft shadows would be... magical :D

Salut!
I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.
Merci! :)

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2013-12-17 14:33:22 Reply

At 12/17/13 11:02 AM, Daru925 wrote: This will make a nice postcard :)
A lot of ideas here.

If you use softwares, some humble suggestions:
_I would darken the space a little more, some objects have similar diffuse colors and they blend with the background, at least, on my high contrast screen.
_You could fix the right lefthand pretty easily.
Just erase/colorize the visible thumb and fingers inner contours, keeping the hand shape the same, there it's inverted :)
_Also an overall but very subtle lighting would add some depht and details.
http://www.cuzzsoft.com/wallpaper/1920x1080-10242-space-war-game-scene-1353.jpg
It's only a contrast of two colors.
No need to go that far and details because your style does not demand it at all, but just the light of a nearby star off screen vs soft shadows would be... magical :D

Lovely suggestions for colours. Thanks!

Alternatively, for the left hand, would it be possible to select the particular area and flip horizontal? I wonder what that would look like...

Daru925
Daru925
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2013-12-18 04:12:23 Reply

Unfortunately, the symmetry you're looking for isn't possible in a 2D space, you'd need to be able to invert the hand in the Z-axis (perspective).
Maybe in photoshop 2025 ahah.

Salut!
I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.
Merci! :)

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2013-12-18 06:57:16 Reply

Well, here's another snippet (a printscreen this time). The reason why a lot of things are blue is because they haven't been coloured in.... yet. I did the background before the foreground, so to speak.

Also tried to rectify that astronaut's hand. I hope it looks more like a right hand than a left hand....

Troisnyx's Art Thread

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2013-12-18 09:32:20 Reply

....Finished?

• Journey at the Speed of Light
    Journey at the Speed of Light by Troisnyx

Ride on a fun-filled adventure through a sea of stars! This might be the cover of a children's colouring book I would like to...

Score
    4.500000000 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2014-08-03 09:55:16 Reply

Good grief, has it been that long since I abandoned this thread.....?

Anyway. Here's a random work in progress, based on a story I'm putting together in the Writing Forums.

• Westforth
    Westforth by Troisnyx

Unfinished concept art for a currently untitled story I'm writing, the progress of which can be seen in the Writing Forums. ...

Score
    0.000000000 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Also hello again, Art Portal; it's been too long.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2014-08-30 10:37:51 Reply

Work in progress, derived from my fiancé's rather off-the-wall suggestion of an album title, "Anatomy of a Strawberry."

What should form the anatomy of said strawberry I wonder? Steampunk gears, or summat else? Or just the mere flesh of the fruit?

Troisnyx's Art Thread

Zabrine
Zabrine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2014-08-30 11:46:16 Reply

At 8/30/14 10:37 AM, Troisnyx wrote: Work in progress, derived from my fiancé's rather off-the-wall suggestion of an album title, "Anatomy of a Strawberry."

What should form the anatomy of said strawberry I wonder? Steampunk gears, or summat else? Or just the mere flesh of the fruit?

The seed. O.O....
lol

well i see that you stopped a year form posting, hopefully you didnt stop drawing for like 1 whole year.
Would have loved to see your progress.

Sincerely,
Zabrine

Just gotta keep drawing....much art. such wow.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2014-08-30 13:30:29 Reply

At 8/30/14 11:46 AM, Zabrine wrote:
At 8/30/14 10:37 AM, Troisnyx wrote: Work in progress, derived from my fiancé's rather off-the-wall suggestion of an album title, "Anatomy of a Strawberry."

The seed. O.O....
lol

well i see that you stopped a year form posting, hopefully you didnt stop drawing for like 1 whole year.
Would have loved to see your progress.

Eh, it has been too long. Pardon me......

Mind though, I'm primarily a musician, and much of my energies go to music and the Audio Forums. I do draw occasionally, but when the idea arises. Ought to do more I suppose. ^_^'

On that note, here's something I put up recently:

• A background of sorts
    A background of sorts by Troisnyx

Starry night, clouds, planet or moon... fantastical setting. Incomplete, I think, but could be a start towards something. Sk...

Score
    4.666666666 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Spac3case916
Spac3case916
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2014-08-31 06:06:50 Reply

At 8/30/14 01:30 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Eh, it has been too long. Pardon me......

Mind though, I'm primarily a musician, and much of my energies go to music and the Audio Forums. I do draw occasionally, but when the idea arises. Ought to do more I suppose. ^_^'

On that note, here's something I put up recently:
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/troisnyx/a-background-of-sorts

wow!! this is really nice. I like the bright spacey blue. its also impressive that you that you used to full value spectrum; dark darks and light lights.
a sense of space is conveyed as well. It looks like massive and goes way far back

[-----free like clouds-----]
My art thread <3

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2014-08-31 08:08:10 Reply

I have indeed been drawing all this time, but I had so many unfinished works, qnd i grew frustrated by some of them. Starting with this one:

WIP, I intend to finish it. I went to a gift shop in Scorton, and there were so many wind chimes and mobiles that I couldn't help but draw inspiration from one.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2014-08-31 08:09:51 Reply

Here's the first thing I drew as soon as I installed Sketchbook Express on this tablet. Reject; I'm not even going to bother with it because of how disproportionate this figure is.

Troisnyx's Art Thread

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Troisnyx's Art Thread 2014-08-31 08:11:20 Reply

Another reject. I wanted to draw myself playing the bodhrán, but started to not like the way her hair was done, and I became frustrated.

Troisnyx's Art Thread