00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme
Upgrade Your Account!

Hi! I’m here waving at you this week because we’re hoping to boost our Supporter count. When we removed most of the ads from NG in January, our goal was to hit 4,000 active Supporters in 2020. We’re making steady progress but are coming up about 300 people short! If you have $3 per month or $25 per year to spare, please consider becoming a Supporter today!

Ng Undercover (planning Thread)

1,275 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Ng Undercover (planning Thread) 2012-04-03 11:05:45

OK, so I'm a huge fan of the A.V. Club's AV Undercover series.

For the uninitiated, 25 songs are chosen by the A.V. Club and its readers. Each week, a band comes in and covers one of the songs. After a band plays the song, it comes off the list. They range from the really good to the eh...

Would there be any interest in something like this among NG's Audio Artists? We can use this thread to discuss rules, song choices, and if you want to sign up.

Rhythm Bastard Experiment: Alternative Laptop Punk

Response to Ng Undercover (planning Thread) 2012-04-03 13:04:07

That might be pretty cool, I'd be down for something like that. Any ideas on how you'd like to start something like that? I'd be interested in helping you out and submitting something as well.

Response to Ng Undercover (planning Thread) 2012-04-03 14:16:44

Sounds like fun, I'd definitely like to join.
So what's the plan ?
Do you want two separate groups, ie the artists and the song pickers, or each artist have to "give" another one song ?
Either way, count me in.

Response to Ng Undercover (planning Thread) 2012-04-03 18:39:33

This sort of thing belongs more in the Club and Crew Forum, whereas the Audio forum is more for the discussion of music PRODUCTION.

Just a friendly tip ;)

Response to Ng Undercover (planning Thread) 2012-04-03 20:35:07

At 4/3/12 06:39 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: This sort of thing belongs more in the Club and Crew Forum, whereas the Audio forum is more for the discussion of music PRODUCTION.

Just a friendly tip ;)

Really? I can move it, but I've also seen the music contests posted here as well.

As long as we're still in the planning stage, I can at least answer the questions posted before I start something presentable, that way we can communicate via PM and hash things out that way.

1. I believe we DO need two separate groups, because otherwise someone would pick a song they would want to cover anyway, though a rule can be instituted that you can't cover a song that you picked. Plus it's done by the A.V. Club AND its readers, so I think the NG public at large should have a say in it. Collectively, the 25 artists could come up with 3-ish songs to put into the mix, but that's it.

2. For AVUC, the songs come first, then they send the list out to anyone interested. Sometimes an artist is unable to do it, but that's because they have to fly to Chicago and play live. Since
A. You don't have to play the song live (if you don't want to) and
B. You don't have to travel anywhere, this might change things.

3. I do want to participate, but I'll voulenteer to go last.

Response to Ng Undercover (planning Thread) 2012-04-04 08:41:30

At 4/3/12 08:35 PM, RhythmBastard wrote:
At 4/3/12 06:39 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: This sort of thing belongs more in the Club and Crew Forum, whereas the Audio forum is more for the discussion of music PRODUCTION.

Just a friendly tip ;)
Really? I can move it, but I've also seen the music contests posted here as well.

Maybe kind of a gray area, but those contests still promote original production, not appreciation and covers that won't be uploaded here.

...the four right chords can make me cry

Some mellow jazz

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Undercover (planning Thread) 2012-04-04 15:00:40

At 4/4/12 08:41 AM, Adam-Beilgard wrote:
Maybe kind of a gray area, but those contests still promote original production, not appreciation and covers that won't be uploaded here.

Correct me if I'm wrong OP, but I think he means that he wants to choose and do covers of tracks on Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Undercover (planning Thread) 2012-04-04 21:41:01

At 4/4/12 03:00 PM, ChimeraNoise wrote:
At 4/4/12 08:41 AM, Adam-Beilgard wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong OP, but I think he means that he wants to choose and do covers of tracks on Newgrounds.

My original intention was along the lines of AVUC, of actual commercial songs, and I think covers are still allowed on the Audio Portal

BUT! I'm pretty sure covering songs from the NG Audio Portal would be a trillion times more punk rock and badass. And legal.

I'm still trying to get a feel for this project, but I have no problem with the project going in that direction.

Response to Ng Undercover (planning Thread) 2012-04-06 00:22:23

At 4/4/12 11:35 PM, LaForge wrote:
this kind of falls somewhere in between production and appreciation. in collab and contest threads, production isn't normally discussed, so i think it's fine here.

So maybe you can help direct this project a little; could there be one thread here for artists looking to sign up, and one thread elsewhere suggesting songs?

AND

Would it be easier to do it based on covers on NGAP songs vs. licensed music?

Response to Ng Undercover (planning Thread) 2012-04-06 01:03:44

So, LaForge asked me about what I thought about this idea running on Newgrounds... and apparently he liked my explanation and wants me to post it here... sooo... Here it is.. Copy/pasted right from my chat with him:

B F P says
I like the idea, I dunno how popular it'd be though.
I could see it just kind of falling flat.
The problem is that its success greatly depends on musical taste... and partially talent... if someone were to suggest something like Surfing with the Alien by Satch... Sure, I'd love to do it, but there's not a chance in hell I'd actually be able to.
Or if a bunch of people suggest Deadmau5 songs, there are a lot of people that rather don't enjoy that style of music, or simply hate Deadmau5.
Basically, there would be a lot of things holding it back unless there was a LARGE variety of suggestions.
And I mean like... a MASSIVE amount.
Unfortunately, I highly doubt there would be enough variety in 25 suggestions for it to be successful.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Undercover (planning Thread) 2012-04-07 00:14:31

At 4/6/12 01:23 AM, LaForge wrote: as indicated by BFP, what's holding this idea back is the diversity of user's predominant genres. if it so happens that many of the songs chosen are in unpopular genres, turnout will be very low. unfortunately, this particular forum is slow compared to others, and there really wouldn't be enough traffic for a thread like this to succeed.

good idea in theory but not in practice.

That's why I suggested that all the musicians would post here, and there would be a thread in General for suggestions. The 25 musicians aren't locked in, basically it ends up being "Whoever wants to take it", so if someone is unable to do it, there's always someone to take their place.