00:00
00:00

Audio import problems. What's new?

9,757 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Is it just me, or is it fucking impossible to import audio into Flash without something going awry?

Ok, I've dealt with problems in Flash before concerning audio. I figured out that it prefers WAV over MP3 for one. I thought I finally had it down.
But after taking a break from Flash I seem to have forgotten what kind of WAV file it prefers.

I'm creating sounds using Soundbooth CS5. But I can't seem to get Flash to import the sounds. So, I've been playing about with the sample rate and such but to no effect.

Usually if I try importing an Mp3 I get this message: Couldn't import <Mp3 file>
And often if I try to import a WAV I receive this: One or more files were not imported because there were problems with reading them.

Any suggestions, please? This shit is driving me the brink of insanity.

I'm using PC, Flash CS5, also Soundbooth CS5

Thanks in advance,
Sin-sister

I realize that some people have no trouble importing Mp3s into Flash. However, I seem to have more success importing WAVs.

Response to Audio import problems. What's new? 2012-03-25 23:48:06

Make sure the WAV file is in the standard PCM WAV file format.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio import problems. What's new? 2012-03-25 23:55:13

Hate to double post, but since you are using SoundBooth you can also just import the ASND file, Flash CS5 supports that format.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio import problems. What's new? 2012-03-26 01:26:09

Hey Swish, thanks for responding :]
Your second suggestion has seemed to work great. Converting the audio file to ASND did the trick.

Though with the PCM WAV file: When 'Saving As', I am given the following options for saving as WAV:
Compressor:
Uncompressed
IMA ADPCM
CCITT A-Law
CCITT u-Law
GSM 6.10
Microsoft ADPCM
Messenger Audio Codec

Sample Rate

And Sample type
8bit
16bit
24bit
32bit
32bit float

Hence why I'm at a loss. I've tried almost every combination of Sample rate and type with Uncompressed to no effect.
Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Response to Audio import problems. What's new? 2012-03-26 15:37:47

Hmmmmm, ahhh I might see a problem. do you have a mac???

if you have a mac you will need to download Quicktime 4 or later. Flash uses QuickTime to handle mp3 too, so youll will also be able to import mp3 with this as well. In a mac's case, flash also uses Quicktime to handle wav files.

here is a download link for Quicktime 7

BBS Signature

Response to Audio import problems. What's new? 2012-03-27 20:19:04

Nah, I use a PC. Windows 7 64 bit etc etc.

Would downloading Quicktime help me if I'm on PC? Also, what do you believe the problem is? Mac or not?

Response to Audio import problems. What's new? 2012-03-27 21:10:05

At 3/27/12 08:19 PM, Sin-sister wrote: Nah, I use a PC. Windows 7 64 bit etc etc.

Would downloading Quicktime help me if I'm on PC? Also, what do you believe the problem is? Mac or not?

ahh, well Flash CS5 supports wav files only for windows and you need quicktime if you had mac, that why I thought it wasnt working. umm, if you want to import mp3 you can still download quicktime because flash uses quicktime to handle mp3 for both mac and windows.
As for the wav problem, If you tried every combination without success while on uncompressed, I would believe you might have to compress the wav file. Probablly the best compressing would be microsoft ADPCM, but Im not sure about that.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio import problems. What's new? 2012-03-27 22:06:23

I downloaded Quicktime, and immediately I could import a couple of Mp3s I previously couldn't. Hooray!
But when I made a fresh Mp3 and tried to import that I had no success. The new file was 90kbs rather than 40kbs like the older ones.

So I decided I'd explore an old theory I had. That turning off all other applications while importing would increase my chances.
Sure enough, after I turned all other major programs off, I successfully imported the 90kbs Mp3.
So then I tried to import a 180kbs Mp3. No luck.
Errrghhh...

I guess now it's fairly clear what the issue is. So I guess my new question is: How do increase Flash CS5s memory usage?

Audio import problems. What's new?

Response to Audio import problems. What's new? 2012-03-27 23:20:58

I've had a few problems when importing audio. MP3's don't loop properly in Flash due to the addition of silence at the end that's added after processing - but even so, 180kbps sounds slightly high. WAV files also gave me a few problems, if the frequency wasn't set to 44100Hz, the WAV file would be sped up when imported into Flash (almost like the frequency was being upped for some reason). WAV's on the other hand, looped perfectly because they are just raw sound. I then did compression inside of Flash on the WAV files to lower the final SWF size.

Response to Audio import problems. What's new? 2012-03-28 21:54:35

Ah yes, I remember now. I'd forgotten another reason why I preferred WAV files. That silly bit of silence in exported Mp3s.
Sorry, it wasn't 180 'kbps' it was kbs. I was referring to the size of the Mp3s.

Holy crap. Holy crap I think that's got it. I guess I haven't tried everycombination with uncompressed WAV. Because I tried 44100Hz with 32 bit type and it worked :S
I even tried it with lots of programs running, and a 23mb size WAV file and it still works.

I'm not 100% this is the end all solution but I'll see how I go. Thanks guys :3