00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Twinspurr just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

We're moved - how about the server?

4,519 Views | 45 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 17:13:45

whatever's clever, might not hurt with the thumbs up, thumbs down deal. i think what makes the voting kinda akward right now is the experience points for these reasons. heres just some shit on my mind.
1) i dont think a persons vote should weigh more if they deposit. everyone should have an equal vote, that would make the voting more accurate. you could replace it with some new secret areas, maybe even poll the newgrounders on some good ideas for new secret areas, see what tickles your fancy.
2) there has to be over 10,000 movies a day getting voted unfairly simply because people are trying to get their points and clicking "random portal entry" 5 times in a row, voting, and NOT watching. if deposits didnt carry as much weight, it would stop all these votes that shouldnt count, since the movies arent even being seen.

anyway, that's just me. either way, im gonna visit just cause i dig seeing peoples flash. welp, peace.

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 17:36:08

Phenominet have been great apart from the past few days when Edmunds, Tanners and my sites all went down. And last night Edmunds BBS went a bit "wonky" (technical term there). Other than that they've been great. And you're more than likely going to have the dedicated hosting anyway, so this wouldn't matter to you. Anyhoo, I like them, but then again I like cold fries too.

BBS Signature

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 18:23:05

Hi Tom,

The new server seems to be working great! Newgrounds is runnen smoother than before so...:)
Sometimes I had some problems on the old server...maybe cos I'm all the way up here in belgium...I don't know! ;)

well, that's about it...btw, I can see you moving on the webcam! :p Cheers!

Extermenater

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 20:16:34

At 8/29/01 09:25 AM, arrogancy wrote:
If you check out the webcam page, you can see the new digs. The walls are still pretty empty, but I'm trying to liven it up in here. Check out the new webcam people while you are there! Spotlife shut off public access, so we had to swap a bunch of cam users.

In other news... Response to the thumbs-up/down system has been amazing, so we might give it a try. We can do it in a way that would be easy enough to switch back if things get nuts. I'm curious to see how people respond!
Uh, Tom, I don't know if you realized this but the only people that LIKED the thumbs up/down thng are

A) People sucking up so that you'll like them, or

B) 12 year olds. (You can tell by the lack of grammar or the one sentence responses)

EVERYONE ELSE hates the idea, especially the flash animators themselves who are more in favor of a 'voting level is due to your movie rating average' idea.

Really Tom, are you making this site for the animators or the kids? Something to think about.

Do you really have to stereotype 12-year-olds?

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 20:17:57

At 8/29/01 07:07 AM, SupaReaper wrote: Please Tom, Please, Don't go to the thumbs up/down. It will result in good flash being rated bad, and poor flash being rated better than deserved.

I agree completely. Don't do it. The old system works fine, why change it?!?!

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 21:54:41

By ChronoSlasher: Those movies are good in all, i hope u can get the thumbs up and down thing goin here soon

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-30 10:06:03

I don't like it. I think that you should give at least two neutral choices between the thumbs if you don;t like it that much but ain't terrible or if it ain't great but ain't bad at the same time.

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-30 15:49:58

At 8/29/01 02:45 PM, Gatorman wrote: God NOOOOO! Please don't go to the thumbs up/down voting system. It won't change how half the people vote, and it will force the other half to conform to a more limiting and brainless form of voting! If anything, EXPAND the voting choices. PLEEEEAAAASSE!

Christ, why do I even bother.

Anyways, congrats on the new digs.

Well since Tom brought the idea of a new voting system, I've been using 1-4 on the scale more frequently, mostly on new movies.

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-30 23:27:52

speed still seems to be slow... but i haven't gotten those retarded server hangup or extreme mysql load errors.. so better i guess

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-30 23:32:43

making it thumbs up/down wouldnt really change much.... It would just make it easier for morons who normally vote the equivilent 5 or X.

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-31 13:41:21

At 8/28/01 05:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: The move to Mt. Airy, Philadelphia is now complete! This Sunday we moved in the rest of my crap, including Sherbert the cat! The new NG HQ is now up and running, and no longer in my bedroom!

Well thank the maker! It seems the NG server is now more reliable and takes more traffic, as well. Tom, keep up the name kicking and ass taking. Let us all now feast from the gooey mayhem that flows forth from the new server.

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-31 14:25:58

I still think that the thumbs up thumbs down idea rules, and the change of server.. i really dont have an opinion on that except that the front pages of the portal and assasin have been a bit laggy lately.. might just be my pc though

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-09-01 12:55:52

At 8/28/01 05:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: The move to Mt. Airy, Philadelphia is now complete! This Sunday we moved in the rest of my crap, including Sherbert the cat! The new NG HQ is now up and running, and no longer in my bedroom!

Hey, good to hear it, Tom. Hope everything works out good for you over there. You should put up some pictures of the new house.

I don't like the idea of the thumbs-up system... but hey, it's your call.

Thanks for the prefunctory ass-shot on the cam page. :-b

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-09-02 22:32:55

I very much disagree with the thumbs up/thumbs down idea. It is true that most people vote only 5 and 0 when the movie has a lot of votes, but you still cannot take away the others. For those moves where you just don't think it's that good, but it's not half bad either. Some people think a sideways thumb would be the solution, but that is just moving back towards have the 1-5 that there is now. Even if 90% of the people vote 0 or 5, you can't take away from the 10% that don't. And besides, leaving it as it is doesn't hurt anything. The people who vote only 0 or 5 can still vote 0 or 5 whereas other people can choose 1-4 as well. Just my opinion.

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-09-06 15:02:38

A thumbs up thumbs down....Nahhhhhh.
Ppl should only be able to vote once ever ever EVER on each movie/game though instead of voting either 0 or 5 for the same movie every day! a bit like me ;0)

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-12-09 09:38:18

keep the old system.