00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MutantZulu81241 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

We're moved - how about the server?

4,518 Views | 45 Replies
Respond to this Topic

The move to Mt. Airy, Philadelphia is now complete! This Sunday we moved in the rest of my crap, including Sherbert the cat! The new NG HQ is now up and running, and no longer in my bedroom!
If you check out the webcam page, you can see the new digs. The walls are still pretty empty, but I'm trying to liven it up in here. Check out the new webcam people while you are there! Spotlife shut off public access, so we had to swap a bunch of cam users.

The big problem with the new office right now is the room is HOT and HUMID, but I can't hook up the air conditioner until we get some more breakers and outlets installed in this room. We are probably on the verge of blowing a fuse as it is!

Now that we have moved, it is once again time to move servers... Already? It seems like we just did that! Troma is ready to find better / cheaper hosting. Mainly cheaper, but hopefully much better as well. Right now I'm rooting for Phenominet here in Philly, but I think Troma is still leaning towards something in NYC. More on that as things progress!

Psycho Goldfish has some AMAZING new Flash games that you have probably overlooked because he uploaded them with the word "demo" in their titles. CHECK THEM OUT! The first is a rampage clone known as Ravage, while the other is a super-cool Bomberman clone called Bomb Droid. Definitely play them both, and be amazed at PGs Flash godliness!

In other news... Response to the thumbs-up/down system has been amazing, so we might give it a try. We can do it in a way that would be easy enough to switch back if things get nuts. I'm curious to see how people respond!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-28 17:25:37

what about disorderly?

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-28 17:32:26

At 8/28/01 05:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: The move to Mt. Airy, Philadelphia is now complete! This Sunday we moved in the rest of my crap, including Sherbert the cat! The new NG HQ is now up and running, and no longer in my bedroom!
If you check out the webcam page, you can see the new digs. The walls are still pretty empty, but I'm trying to liven it up in here. Check out the new webcam people while you are there! Spotlife shut off public access, so we had to swap a bunch of cam users.

The big problem with the new office right now is the room is HOT and HUMID, but I can't hook up the air conditioner until we get some more breakers and outlets installed in this room. We are probably on the verge of blowing a fuse as it is!

Now that we have moved, it is once again time to move servers... Already? It seems like we just did that! Troma is ready to find better / cheaper hosting. Mainly cheaper, but hopefully much better as well. Right now I'm rooting for Phenominet here in Philly, but I think Troma is still leaning towards something in NYC. More on that as things progress!

Psycho Goldfish has some AMAZING new Flash games that you have probably overlooked because he uploaded them with the word "demo" in their titles. CHECK THEM OUT! The first is a rampage clone known as Ravage, while the other is a super-cool Bomberman clone called Bomb Droid. Definitely play them both, and be amazed at PGs Flash godliness!

In other news... Response to the thumbs-up/down system has been amazing, so we might give it a try. We can do it in a way that would be easy enough to switch back if things get nuts. I'm curious to see how people respond!

What's the new voting system look like? Any images or anything like that you need?

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-28 18:02:29

Well its good that your done moving, I want the thumbs up thumbs down system! Either way have you considred paying alot of money, so you can host a server on your cable/dsl connection one computer would have to been on 24/7 but no need to worry about anything else.

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-28 18:41:59

Glad to here you're making some progress with the server thing. PLEASE don't change the voting system. I know there's a lot of dickheads who only vote 5 or 0, but not everyone does, and at least with the current system we have a choice to be moderate. just thumbs up or thumbs down doesn't cater for the wide spectrum of quality that movies are. You say it would make more people vote but it would probably put me off because I would have to either really help a movie, as if it was favourite of all time, or kick it in the face as if I hated it's guts. Most movies are OK but flawed to varying degrees. At least with the current system we have a choice. I think the reason people vote either 5 or 0 is because of the experience points system, where voting with extremes is the only way they can be heard. Everyone should have an equal voice.

Didn't you say "the day of Disorderly is very soon" like about 2 months ago?

Dagger Happy :-{B

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-28 20:55:26

I said it before; changing it the way you plan on changing it is not a good idea. Voting is meant to be more complicated than good or bad. People will just say what they think it is not try to move it to where it should be.

I'm talking about how you said earlier about "if you think it should have a better score than vote thumbs up."

Trust me, I know how stupid people can be without even knowing how dumb they are. You need to make the voting system more complicated in order for it to be better.

If you actually read this and consider it e-mail me at “iamstyme@yahoo.com” remember to take out the quotes. Some people are like that.

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-28 21:10:44

If you want to find a good host, you can search for one at www.hostspot.com.

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-28 21:12:20

At 8/28/01 08:55 PM, Una_B wrote: I said it before; changing it the way you plan on changing it is not a good idea. Voting is meant to be more complicated than good or bad. People will just say what they think it is not try to move it to where it should be.

I'm talking about how you said earlier about "if you think it should have a better score than vote thumbs up."

Yeah.. may as well take this post and say again what I said before - use 'raise' and 'lower' arrows rather than thumbs that can be misinterpreted.

-Sean Givan

BBS Signature

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-28 21:40:50

Ditch Troma go with Phenominet.

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-28 22:10:15

It's cool that the move is done and went well. I think the thumbs up/down thing is a good idea, and change the server soon!!! this one is kind of crappy.

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-28 22:13:55

At 8/28/01 05:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: The move to Mt. Airy, Philadelphia is now complete! This Sunday we moved in the rest of my crap, including Sherbert the cat! The new NG HQ is now up and running, and no longer in my bedroom!
If you check out the webcam page, you can see the new digs. The walls are still pretty empty, but I'm trying to liven it up in here.

Hmm, well yes the whole room really does seem pretty bland... And in the Wade and Ross cam you can see YOU in the backround!

But on another note, FINISH DISORDERLY!!! I know you've been busy with the moving and stuff. But now that your done, could you give us some release date to look forward to??? Preferably a week later than when you think it'll be done, so when it's launched early, it will be a big amazing suprise! Or... if it's THAT good, make it a .exe and, depending on file size, sell off floppy disks or CDs of the game on the internet!

Erm... you'd have to give Zeebarf some of the earnings though, him doing art and cimema scenes... Well, even if you don't make Disorderly a pay-to-play thing, you should still get into making BIG, FANCY, ONLINE, MULTIPLAYER, games to SELL. Just like Postal! Fix all your money problems, you know... :)

Well, I'm dry on opinions...

Thanks,

Nick Danzinger

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-28 22:15:13

No Killjesus cam? Dammit!

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-28 22:52:20

At 8/28/01 06:02 PM, J-man_the_jet wrote: Well its good that your done moving, I want the thumbs up thumbs down system! Either way have you considred paying alot of money, so you can host a server on your cable/dsl connection one computer would have to been on 24/7 but no need to worry about anything else.

Hahahaha! I just love to listen to stupid people talking... I know I shouldn't, since it goes along the same lines as making fun of retards. (They're just able to know you're making fun of them, but not able to know what to do about it.) Anyway, good luck with the new server, 'cuz NG is so slooooooooooooooooooooow now...

Oh, and I'm starting to doubt the intelligence of you Tom, seeing how you don't seem to realize that 7/8 of all the responses to your voting suggestion were just a bunch of n00bs who say "NG rules! Tom Fulp for president!" and are only agreeing in order to get a free BJ from Sherbert.

Anyhoo, I don't feel that the voting system really needs to be changed, but if it does get changed it DEFINITELY needs to go in the direction of more complex. Do NOT take away options from people who use them, just let people not use options that are there. Better to be safe than sorry. Jeez, I sound like my mom! Umm, bye.

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-28 23:21:49

Poor Tom! Moveing sucks. I think the thumbs up/thumbs down thing is great!! Is there going to be a "flat hand" or something for so-so vote?

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 01:05:42

At 8/28/01 11:21 PM, Manga_Mix wrote: Poor Tom! Moveing sucks. I think the thumbs up/thumbs down thing is great!! Is there going to be a "flat hand" or something for so-so vote?

No. Tom already explained this saying that it is better to just have thumbs up, thumbs down vote and I agree with him... Althought there SHOULD be some X voting thing...(like a middle finger as many people sugested!)

-Nick Danzinger

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 02:18:23

:)

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 06:42:05

I dont see any real change in the speed, which isn't a bad thing or a good thing really. No probelems here!

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 07:07:18

Please Tom, Please, Don't go to the thumbs up/down. It will result in good flash being rated bad, and poor flash being rated better than deserved.

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 09:25:26

Uh, Tom, I don't know if you realized this but the only people that LIKED the thumbs up/down thng are

A) People sucking up so that you'll like them, or

B) 12 year olds. (You can tell by the lack of grammar or the one sentence responses)

EVERYONE ELSE hates the idea, especially the flash animators themselves who are more in favor of a 'voting level is due to your movie rating average' idea.

Really Tom, are you making this site for the animators or the kids? Something to think about.

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 09:51:32

At 8/28/01 05:20 PM, TomFulp wrote:
The walls are still pretty empty, but I'm trying to liven it up in here.

first of all, and most important, congrats on the move, secondly, if you're looking for posters check out Allposters.com :)

also, i didnt respond to the last post, so ill do it hear since you brought it up again, id love to try a thumbs up and down system, it would definatly calculate a more accurate score. anyway, ROCK ON!

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 10:02:57

Uh, Tom, I don't know if you realized this but the only people that LIKED the thumbs up/down thng are

B) 12 year olds. (You can tell by the lack of grammar or the one sentence responses)

Im not fucking 12, and I suck up to nobody. I also love the idea, since EVERYONE I know only uses 0 or 5. So piss off.

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 10:33:18

At 8/29/01 10:02 AM, OddBaLL1313 wrote:

Im not fucking 12, and I suck up to nobody. I also love the idea, since EVERYONE I know only uses 0 or 5. So piss off.

Movies by OddBaLL1313:
- none -

Once again, people who make movies generally don't like the idea.

And you may not be 12, but you quote Fight Club. Same difference :)

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 10:34:10

Congrats on your move guys.

Oh and i'm Sherbert's biggest fan. :-)

Newgrounds is a website for 13 year olds who cannot understand the difference between "there", "their" and "they´re".

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 10:47:31

Go for Phenominet. They have really cheap prices and give you the best hosting. They recently got featured in PC magazine for being so good. They even e-mailed me and said I could have a discount for my site. My site isn't even done yet! I am going to get the Tier 1 once I get my own computer. They told me that the major discounts would be involved in the dedicated servers.

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 11:15:55

Congrats on the new place, Tom. I'm glad to hear that everything is settling in and that it's starting to feel more at home. And good luck with the server search!

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 12:01:40

good luck tom don't be blowing up anything say hi to sherbert and the gang he will love it :)

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 12:03:53

At 8/28/01 05:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: In other news... Response to the thumbs-up/down system has been amazing, so we might give it a try. We can do it in a way that would be easy enough to switch back if things get nuts. I'm curious to see how people respond!

here are my thoughts on the voting system change...ultimately, i'll still frequent the site no matter how warped the voting gets because i like what's offered, but i think that the system is fine. even if people only vote 0 or 5 now, i still think it's fine the way it is. to reduce our voting options to a simple thumbs up or down is to reduce our power as a voter. i can vote a 0 or 5 on a movie now either because i think it deserves it or because i want to move it up or down. regardless of my motivation, that's my right as a voter. i get to decide how and why the vote is cast. i might cast a 0 out of pure spite for the creator. but if i choose to do so, that's my right. it might be unfair and totally biased, but that's life. bias based on our own personal opinions is what causes us to vote up or down in the first place, so i don't see anything wrong with it. furthermore, i often vote 0 and 5 because i only vote on the movies i have seen that i either really like or dislike because those are the movies i want to see move up or down. if i see a movie that i feel indifferent to, i really don't care to vote and change it's position. honestly, i could spend weeks sitting there and voting for every movie on the portal, but i like to give out the best and worst votes to movie that stand out to me. as i said before, you can do whatever you like, but if you're asking my opinion, i'd leave the system the way it is.

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 13:53:16

PHENOMINET RULE! (apart from the random server outages i get from them ;) ) but im only on the cheapo-shit account!

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 13:56:12

At 8/29/01 01:53 PM, RichL wrote: PHENOMINET RULE! (apart from the random server outages i get from them ;) ) but im only on the cheapo-shit account!

ahh! WRONG LOGO! was meant to be this one ;) :

Response to We're moved - how about the server? 2001-08-29 14:45:07

God NOOOOO! Please don't go to the thumbs up/down voting system. It won't change how half the people vote, and it will force the other half to conform to a more limiting and brainless form of voting! If anything, EXPAND the voting choices. PLEEEEAAAASSE!

Christ, why do I even bother.

Anyways, congrats on the new digs.