00:00
00:00

Randy Solem, 1975-2012

117,951 Views | 361 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-20 21:50:49

I find some of the private messages I'm getting, such as those from Kisame, are flat out hateful and insulting toward Randy. I have an entire portfolio of his graphic work and hand drawn art, it's all amazing. He worked for local major news papers in the Tri-sate area as a leading artist, for some up to 10 years straight. So because he chose to style his movies about meaningful characters and games of his childhood, that reflects his over all talent?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to go out of your way to contact family members to say, "talentless hack" or "hope he's burning in hell", sounds like your a little butt hurt. Maybe riding motorcycles, having beautiful girls in your past and present and being big in the gym made some of the 120 pound rival animators, pale behind their screens working on films that never caught on, felt intimidated? Or because he used to dish it out stronger than those who dished the insults first back in the VGDC forums days? From everything I know, there's not a reason for such deep resentment and hate for someone they never met, besides self esteem issues and jealousy.

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-20 21:53:28

At 13 minutes ago, nyancat23 wrote:
At 1 day ago, unconsidered wrote: How did he die? 36 sounds really early.
Maybe a disease

He passed away from heart failure late this past Friday night.

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-20 21:53:40

Rest in peace, Randy.

Your cartoons brought me a bunch of joy from a really young age.

They will continue to do so.

~Al

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-20 22:28:55

Wow...this is just unbelievable! His work was the gateway to Newgrounds for me! I loved Mack Daddy Mario and Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom and all his other stuff!

Rest in peace, man!

I laugh at your sigs!

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-20 22:47:02

Aw, damn. That's a shame. Randy was an amazing artist. He created some really awesome flashes. He'll be missed.

RIP, Randy.

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-20 23:01:00

Gah... that is just awful.

RIP Mr. VGDC, you're movies weren't just gems, they were pioneers.

Taken so soon, you will be missed.

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-20 23:08:54

What they don't get is, the fighting and feuding between the developers, is what added to the thriving of the work. On top of the fan base, the arguing and rivalry's, no matter how heated, added the extra boost to making the next best thing for the fans and to try and be on top. I personally know that is how Randy viewed it and that's the way it should be. The people who are clinging to things spawned off of the internet over animated videos, seriously have no concept of real life outside of the computer. Your talking shit on a guy who left the community to go on and start a professional life and focus on his family. There's no need to hold grudges over pixels vs. original art work, when it comes to someone not being alive anymore. One day, his daughter is going to be old enough to google his name. She's going to find out her father had a massive fan base and reached a lot of people through his work, but she's going to have to try and comprehend the deep hatred and deliberately sadistic comments toward her dad as if the person knew him.

As far as I see, the characters were given their proper copyrights. Yes, we all know the characters, however the storyline and videos are soley from HIS mind, HIS doing. So where is the problem? The positive feedback from over million+ views, shows the video reached many. I don't get the negative feedback outside of anything, but jealous. It brought NG extra viewers and members, it motivated many to learn flash, etc. Every corporation is lawsuit happy, with all the years his videos have been on the net and the vast amount of views they all have, if the REAL OWNERS of the characters and images shared the negative views of the minority here, something would have happened already. They don't even care or agree with the negative outlook, why are people still such haters YEARS later?

At 10 minutes ago, j0hnny wrote: I actually got a PM like that too that Randy should rot in hell. I think people fail to realize something that you know what you dishonor yourself by talking that way. How you speak and what you do determines who you become. I certainly don't want to be regarded as a scumbag who pisses on the memory of someone who died. Also I am certain most of you wouldn't want someone taking a virtual dump on your graves. The irony is that its me of all people who is actually defending Randy. I really never thought this would ever happen in a million years. But I do know its the right thing to do.

You guys seriously need to let it go. Its already 2012. I fought with Randy, DustinA31, Accana and many others for 7 years. Its unbelievable. And I would hope before the others die or before I do this shit doesn't have to go on much longer.

If some of you really can't look back and see how stupid your arguing was when he was alive and you can't even see how stupid this grudge is now that he is dead, when will you see it? Will you wait till you're 80 years old and going into the nursing home saying "Gee that Randy Solem guy was such an ass." I dunno I mean further trolling someone who is dead is just pointless. Trolling their family members while they are grieving is even worse.

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-20 23:14:25

His work was among the first bit of internet entertainment I ever watched.

I laugh at your sigs!

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-20 23:16:21

Rest in Peace Mr.Solem. Your work and its impact on the development on NG will truly and always be greatly appreciated and missed.

*Plays Breaking Benjamin's "Anthem of The Angels": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_437oXG_3U *

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-20 23:33:53

The In-Memoriam page is a lovely idea. I can't think of many large user-content websites that care enough to have something like that.

Also I had no idea Jewelltoons was dead, that one hit me hard.

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-20 23:37:59

oh my goodness 36, thatss young god bless him and his work. may he rest in peace. and his work.

I know this sounds kinda morbid but if this happends again you should put a special place on the site for "passed away" artist.

TUNI PEACE

Tapping the fingers for art and laughs.

BBS Signature

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-20 23:44:00

That's such a shame to see him go this early. Still love his work. RIP Randy. We'll miss you.

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-20 23:47:51

Rise of the MK, my favorite sprite series.

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-21 00:02:49

RIP to a guy who created many great sprite flashes.

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-21 00:11:28

Randy you'll be missed. Your movies and your website was a barrel of laughs for me when I started coming here.

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-21 00:50:19

I remember his site, Videogamedc.com always made me laugh with some of the most hilarious Mario Parody videos ever. He's been such a major part of Newgrounds all these years, like family. It's just... hard to believe he's gone. Hard to type when your eyes are on taps.

Newgrounds has lost one of the greatest. You will be sorely missed, Randy.

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-21 00:51:58

Awww, shit.

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-21 01:06:55

Randy did some excellent sprite parody movies back in the day and I always looked forward to seeing them. I know there are a lot of sprite movies these days, but back when we started out, there weren't nearly as many, and few people put as much time into them as he obviously did. Condolences to his family.

-RoG-

At 1 day ago, TomFulp wrote: Sad news; Randy Solem, one of the original stars of NG, passed away this week at the age of 36.

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-21 01:21:53

He will be missed... RIP

DevourerJay~Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Sig By Xeno.

Formerly known as MissingNYC

BBS Signature

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-21 01:47:29

I never had any direct contact with Randy other than adding him on MySpace, but I must say that I love his twisted sense of humor.

My most vivid memory of him was back in December 2006, when he posted a thread on the VGDC forums asking users which Disney princess they'd like to bang the most. One user replied, "What the f**k, Randy?" and Randy suggested that he go find a prince instead. :P

Good times, good times.

Find me on Facebook!

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-21 02:09:34

At 20 minutes ago, ixfd64 wrote: I never had any direct contact with Randy other than adding him on MySpace, but I must say that I love his twisted sense of humor.

My most vivid memory of him was back in December 2006, when he posted a thread on the VGDC forums asking users which Disney princess they'd like to bang the most. One user replied, "What the f**k, Randy?" and Randy suggested that he go find a prince instead. :P

Good times, good times.

Hahahaha!!! Disney's BIGGEST love besides his family and pitbull was Disney, without a doubt. You'd have to see the mickey mouse tattoo in person to realize how big it was lol. He hand drew it and had the tattoo artist put it on him. It looks big in pictures and he had some big arms lol. Man I can't believe he's gone :( Friday is going to be rough for a lot of friends and family at his funeral

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-21 02:12:22

Wow. I never thought I would come back to NG to see this. Damn. I liked the work he did and how he inspired many to do similar. Not everyone who followed did well, but there were still plenty who did a pretty good job. Well, I hope he has a pleasant afterlife and that his family copes.

His work was entertaining and he was inspiring for many.

DeviantART | Youtube

Check em out

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-21 02:16:57

It couldn't have been more than a week ago I started watching through some of his classic contributions again.
Now I hear he's passed away, and at such a young age...
Rest well Mr. Solem, we'll definitely miss ya

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-21 02:25:01

Randy was one of those people I heard about all over Newgrounds and off-site. Back when sprite movies were all the rage, you couldn't go anywhere without knowing about Randy. I struggle to find the words to put here. Rest in peace, Randy. You'll be missed.

Dora's Bike | Descent Club | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-21 03:00:46

Man, that sucks...
I remember watching his "Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom" movies way back when... they were one of the reasons why I started frequenting Newgrounds in the first place.
R.I.P Randy.

bork bork bork

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-21 03:15:07

Is it true there are butthurt losers in the NG community who hate Randy Solem and are spreading hatred about him and trolling his family?

lol...I didn't think the NG community (especially people in the 'old guard') were like that

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-21 03:28:33

R.I.P. brother

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-21 05:56:38

first of all how did he die no wonder i haven't heard anything from him in a long time I'm a huge fan of his . He is one of the reason why i came to ng and i had been waiting for his flash mario gets lucky again but it just never came out it's sad after hearing this RIP man

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-21 07:22:45

Randy was an inspiration for many sprite artists, a pioneer in the field, and one of the best in that field.

It's unfortunate to hear that he has passed away at such a young age, and leaving such a young child without a father.

May he find rest, and may his family find the courage to keep on living and remembering.

He will be missed.

Response to Randy Solem, 1975-2012 2012-03-21 08:16:27

Randy was my god damned hero when i was in 6th grade.. VGDC all day! Its a real damn shame that hes gone but mane o mane i will remember his toons forever. His cartoons really made me get serious with my art showing me that drawing and animation were not pointless but amazing when shared with other people. I really hope his family stays strong and takes a bit of solace knowing that a bunch of goons are really feeling his loss man.

Rest well.