00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Total ripoff of the NG portal?

38,049 Views | 337 Replies

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 14:17:04

My advice:
Come to England (if American dont have it) and pattent ure portal. It costs but you can proly get the police to help shut down imitation sites if you can proove that they have taken ure code.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 14:31:02

So.. thecrunge.net is a rip off.

There are plenty of rip offs of the portal...

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 14:31:39

Shit....I don't think any of those websites could deny they've gotten ideas from NG, even if it means they truly tried to take a different spin on the ideas. They should at least provide a link to Newgrounds on their site...just out of respect. A professional courtesy, you know?

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 14:42:34

At 6/9/04 02:17 PM, mexxa wrote: My advice:
Come to England (if American dont have it) and pattent ure portal. It costs but you can proly get the police to help shut down imitation sites if you can proove that they have taken ure code.

yes, America has those too...

BBS Signature

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 14:44:21

At 6/9/04 12:04 PM, iLLiCit_JmBd wrote:
At 6/9/04 10:45 AM, WadeFulp wrote: You're wrong about not being able to copyright ideas. Thanks for the list, we may see all of you in court someday.
Yeah, I admit that on my site http://www.retrogade.com/ I stole your window resizer from NG..

ah JmBd. you're still King of teh NG Flash Portal Cloners in my books.. ^_^

ALL HAIL JMBD!!
(if only NG could afford to hire you... ; )

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 14:48:33

At 6/9/04 02:46 PM, iLLiCit_JmBd wrote:
At 6/9/04 02:44 PM, I7I2-3-I7I7 wrote: ah JmBd. you're still King of teh NG Flash Portal Cloners in my books.. ^_^
I don't even have a flash portal on my site.

Yeah, you probably took it down as soon as Tom made that post. :P J/k

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 15:01:11

I guess I should express my opinion of the matter here, as the news is usually only read up to what the news is.

I can understand everyones anger and hait towards sites that "rip-off" NG, however, without those "rip-off" sites then there would be no competition and NG would have a global Monopoly of flash portals.

Great things come out of "rip-offs" such as Burger King. You can't say that Burger King isn't a rip-off of McDonalds, or that Quake isn't a rip-off of Doom, or for that matter, Blood.

However, I can easily see were Tom, and others, have become kind of irritated with the copieng of the portal, however, there shouldn't be that much hait spreading. We all know that NG was the first, and we should all be content with that. If I were Tom, I wouldn't want to be recognized for what I (and others) created. I would be content with knowing that people actually want to copy my work.

That is how I think however, and in time, Tom will get his recognition.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 15:07:29

At 5/12/04 09:47 PM, HAcoreRD wrote: dude, shaddap n leave him alone, I know the Admin and he's a nice guy, he means no harm by it.

So what if he's a nice guy the point is he copied off of newrgounds and used it for his site and gave no credit to Newgrounds. I don't care if he's the nicest guy in the world he still pisses me off for copying newgrounds.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 15:09:03

However, I can easily see the frustration that one may get of after several years of hard work, people taking it without some recognition.

Again though, who was better, Nirvana or The Smashing Pumpkins?

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 15:19:07

At 6/9/04 03:01 PM, Crimson_Edge wrote: or that Quake isn't a rip-off of Doom, or for that matter, Blood.

or for that matter, Wolfenstein 3D :P

I agree, i hate these rip off sites. The only thing that keeps me from getting pissed is the fact that these sites usually don't have good flash author or get alot of hits.

BBS Signature

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 15:21:19

Richard Nixon

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 15:24:00

This is getting really ridiculous. You people have no idea how long it took for Ross and the rest of the NG crew to create an automated portal. And, then, to have some mediocre piece of shit site steal the source code right off the page? You can NOT deny the fact that flipsided.com is a ripoff of NG. But you know what? It will never be NG, because the owner doesn't know how to pave his own path. The NG portal is an original piece of work. They invented it, and followed through with what we have today. This will always be the first and the best.

Take albinoblacksheep.com for instance. Their flash section has so many of the same movies that NG does, but they have their own little quirks to keep them different. Diversity makes the world go round.

Personally, I think the NG crew should put a copyright, if there already isn't one. Source code for a site is as valuable as the source for, say, a game, or a program such as Flash. Thats all copyrighted because it's someone else's hard work. Ever noticed how big of a deal the Half Life 2 team made over their source being STOLEN? Yeah, it's that big of a deal.

Now stop whining, because all these wannabe newgrounds sites are getting annoying, and you people know it. That's all I gotta say...now people, lets see some actual intelligent posts.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 15:24:59

At 6/9/04 03:19 PM, AgeOfArmageddon wrote:
At 6/9/04 03:01 PM, Crimson_Edge wrote: or that Quake isn't a rip-off of Doom, or for that matter, Blood.
or for that matter, Wolfenstein 3D :P

Wolf 3D, Doom and Quake were all made by the same developers. How can you rip yourself off? :-)

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 15:26:12

I bet it would be pretty painful. >.>

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 15:35:37

I read about half the posts before I got a HEADACHE and wrote my own. OPEN YOUR MIND!

These people, people who've started other flash sites, and other portals. They have the RIGHT to do it. PROVIDED, that they do not copy from those who came before.

Sure the layout is similar.. Your left arm looks like your right doesn't it? Or it used to, for those missing one arm.. The layout looks the same, cause it WORKS. It is the easiest way for people to watch, review, and find flash that they want to watch on a site.

What makes that site different from NG is it's content. Which is what we're all after in the end. We want to watch flash cartoons, we want to play flash games, and we want to rate people based on our own decisions.

So, if the content is different, and, the site IS different.. What's the problem?

Whiners, complainers, people who have nothing better to do with their time than waste other people's with BS.. And that is it..

If I had made NG, I would be flattered that there are now other sites out there that are trying to do the same as me, bring people new flash from new artists.. In fact, I would link them all and communicate with them on possible projects.. But that's just me..

There's nothing wrong with other flash portals, provided they don't clone NG. Using the same layout is not cloning, it's just good sense, for reasons stated earlier..

Many of you think that NG is THE ONE and ONLY portal.

OTher sites exist, that's a fact, live with it and quit comparing apples to oranges.

I love the content here, I love the interface, and I love the artists. But I do go elsewhere from time to time.

That's all I have to say.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 15:46:14

I don't know about anyone else but if I put a lot of hard work into something, I definitely wouldn't want someone else copying it without at least giving me props for it. Perhaps copyrighting it would be the best action, if it's possible.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 16:24:10

I think that all the sites with portals inspired by Newgrounds should at least say somewhere on the portal that it was inspired by Newgrounds.com.....it would be promoting Newgrounds and at the same time ending this issue.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 16:31:09

At 6/9/04 02:49 PM, iLLiCit_JmBd wrote:
At 6/9/04 02:48 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Yeah, you probably took it down as soon as Tom made that post. :P J/k
You're on to me. >:P

Yeah, I admit taking some concepts from this site but I don't go around saying my site is better than NG.

level's, photoshop portal, user of the day, frontpage news sites

LSD!

BBS Signature

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 16:33:37

anyone who says that this site is another flash portal is a fucking dipstick. Newgrounds.com defined flash portal. You fucking look up Flash portal in the dictionary, it says fucking newgrounds.com.
How dare you people not call that site a ripoff.

BBS Signature

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 16:41:14

At 6/9/04 03:18 PM, iLLiCit_JmBd wrote: Wow, you really got me there.

I don't think you know who I am. Do you? :)

Tell him, guys.

Is this where I'm supposed to say your the 1337est cadny stealer in the world? :)

Ripoffs are what happens when you get something popular, or something that is a good idea. Having hundreds of other NG copy-cats won't be good for NG, but it will also make the admins strive to be ahead of the curve in everything they do. It forces progress whether you think it does or not.

I could surely die

If I only had some pie

Club-a-Club Club, son

BBS Signature

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 16:44:48

At 6/9/04 03:18 PM, iLLiCit_JmBd wrote:
Wow, you really got me there.
I don't think you know who I am. Do you? :)

Tell him, guys.

Your are the sixth Jackson aren't you?

If words were wisdom, I'd be talking even more.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 16:52:09

Dude what the fuck.

All of the sites listed by that retard are blatant rip offs of newgrounds. Script is even obviosly stolen. Isnt this a breach of copyrights?

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 16:52:33

At 6/9/04 03:18 PM, iLLiCit_JmBd wrote: I don't think you know who I am. Do you? :)

Tell him, guys.

This is the second time in this thread you've tried to act important. Thats who you are, weather it describes you or not.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 17:56:27

At 6/9/04 04:52 PM, Orodreth wrote: All of the sites listed by that retard are blatant rip offs of newgrounds. Script is even obviosly stolen. Isnt this a breach of copyrights?

There is no way to steal a script unless you have access to the server and can get the php files themselves. I made my flash system myself and have also given newgrounds credit at the bottom of my flash "gateway" for the idea. Thanks.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 18:10:09

that is exactly like newgrounds. The first movie that i saw had the Newgrounds Preloader. They just diden't have the tank logo. Now im mad...

|| AK || Play TF2 @ AK's ||

NG Archive - The Problems of the Past, Today!

BBS Signature

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 18:12:46

At 6/9/04 05:56 PM, smoshdotcom wrote:
At 6/9/04 04:52 PM, Orodreth wrote: All of the sites listed by that retard are blatant rip offs of newgrounds. Script is even obviosly stolen. Isnt this a breach of copyrights?
There is no way to steal a script unless you have access to the server and can get the php files themselves. I made my flash system myself and have also given newgrounds credit at the bottom of my flash "gateway" for the idea. Thanks.

I just noticed how major this thread got and I decided to add a credit link to newgrounds on my portal. I admit to getting ideas and inspiration from the website, but I coded all of the PHP for it.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 18:15:09

At 6/9/04 06:10 PM, Suicidal-kid wrote: that is exactly like newgrounds. The first movie that i saw had the Newgrounds Preloader. They just diden't have the tank logo. Now im mad...

The NewGrounds.com preloader can be downloaded by anyone and can be put in any flash. Those entries are from submittions from users on the site. So how does that make you mad? :P

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 18:22:56

it says "inpired by newgrounds"...
but portals aren't ripoffs
becuase at this point they are the most efficient way to have a user interactive content feature
each one is different because it shows the work of that sites community...DUH!!!11

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 19:13:01

Its obvoious that any website that has flash could be considered a rip off of NG. But this copies the rating system and revieww system. Whats the point of making a site if its just like another.

Response to Total ripoff of the NG portal? 2004-06-09 20:04:18

At 6/9/04 04:33 PM, -noir- wrote: anyone who says that this site is another flash portal is a fucking dipstick. Newgrounds.com defined flash portal. You fucking look up Flash portal in the dictionary, it says fucking newgrounds.com.
How dare you people not call that site a ripoff.

Muahahah piswned :D