00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MovementalStudio just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dweeby's Accountability Thread

5,195 Views | 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-11 20:26:42

I don't practice doing art. I used to, but now I do not. I want to, and that's where you guys come in. Verbally abuse me until I actually produce pieces of art. I'd like to develop digital painting skillz, so that'll mainly be what you see here unless I give up. Here's a super quick sketch I did today to start everything off! This man is happy because it is his birthday. Photoshop was used and I accidentally left the palette in the image because I'm classy like that.

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-11 20:52:58

Post more paintings, i'm curious about the other stuf you paint :D

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-11 21:03:10

At 3 minutes ago, BlackMist75 wrote: Post more paintings, i'm curious about the other stuf you paint :D

Weeeell recently I participated in the Emoticon Collab and this was my entry for [the face I used for this post]. This is a more cartoon-y style, and literally the third image I've produced purely with photoshop; be kind ahaha

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-11 21:16:21

Ah, and here's two real life paintings in acrylic and watercolor, respectively. The former is your standard art class still life fare, and the latter is my user photo! Exciting. Also, I'm finding out that I cannot have more than one image per post. How inconvenient! The other photo will follow after this.

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-11 21:18:31

Here it is; it's a bit small.

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-12 12:13:22

At 14 hours ago, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: stuff

That's a really gorgeous still life you've got there.

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-14 23:42:44

Alright! As promised, I have been working on digital painting very hard lately and finding it is a difficult media to transition to when you are used to traditional stuff! This is a WIP I've been working on for a few weeks. It's only the first real painting I've worked on; I've just been working on techniques and shortcuts and layer modes and that sort of thing. Anyway what I'm wondering is if anyone has recommendations for the piece itself and if anyone knows of an especially good tutorial for portraying hair in photoshop. Much thanks!

(By the way, the chick really was modeled after a Barbie doll; that's the reason for the plastic-y appearance.)

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-15 00:16:44

At 12 minutes ago, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: (By the way, the chick really was modeled after a Barbie doll; that's the reason for the plastic-y appearance.)

It's lookin' nice, the colours are very well blended, the bg texture is cool, and your method of hair is visually interesting. Unfortunately, I don't really know how to help you in that department (hair) either to accomplish a more realistic version.

The things I think you could fix are the top of the hair (it's kinda trailin' off), her eyebrow (it looks really flat and non-textured, almost painted on), and the gradient of the fairy glow (I know a glow is intended, but this one looks a little too.. premade. Try manually colouring in the circle and fading it out? Iunno.) Also, I think the eye needs a stronger highlight.

Overall, for a first attempt, it's pretty coo', I know mine was much more shoddy than that. I know that the principles of colour/light apply to all mediums though, so you probably didn't have much trouble transitioning in that respect. Keep workin' on it!

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-15 01:41:01

At 1 hour ago, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: (By the way, the chick really was modeled after a Barbie doll; that's the reason for the plastic-y appearance.)

I came across these great few tuts for hair, here's one. Here's another.

Otherwise, if you're new to digital painting (or painting, period) then I'd heartily reccomend doing a few paintings in black and white before you move on to colour - you can always colour the piece later and it does a fucking number on your ability to spot stuff like bounce light and highlights and generally improves your ability to have interacting objects instead of aspects that look like they were photoshopped together from different paintings. It was a trap I fell into.

Did a quick redline of what I supposed it would be closer to. Hope it helps, and best of luck!

Actually here's some more reading material.
Some stuff on hue, value, and chroma. Who'd have thought?
psg is fine too

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-15 01:42:39

At A few seconds ago, Lintire wrote: Did a quick redline of what I supposed it would be closer to. Hope it helps, and best of luck!

We all make mistakes.

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-15 02:23:04

At 1 hour ago, Spaghetti14 wrote: It's lookin' nice, the colours are very well blended, the bg texture is cool, and your method of hair is visually interesting. Unfortunately, I don't really know how to help you in that department (hair) either to accomplish a more realistic version.

The things I think you could fix are the top of the hair (it's kinda trailin' off), her eyebrow (it looks really flat and non-textured, almost painted on), and the gradient of the fairy glow (I know a glow is intended, but this one looks a little too.. premade. Try manually colouring in the circle and fading it out? Iunno.) Also, I think the eye needs a stronger highlight.

Overall, for a first attempt, it's pretty coo', I know mine was much more shoddy than that. I know that the principles of colour/light apply to all mediums though, so you probably didn't have much trouble transitioning in that respect. Keep workin' on it!

What does "bg" mean in your phrase "bg texture"? Also the hair, yep, I have major problems with it right now but luckily Lintire found me some nice tutorials. As for the fairy glow, I made that myself? I am a little confused as to how you think it looks premade and how you think it should look but I can try revising it. The source of light is fairly small, so the highlight will be small as well. The lamp I was lighting mah doll with was larger than the fairy light so I tried to scale accordingly.

At 26 minutes ago, Lintire wrote:
At 1 hour ago, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: (By the way, the chick really was modeled after a Barbie doll; that's the reason for the plastic-y appearance.)
I came across these great few tuts for hair, here's one. Here's another.

Otherwise, if you're new to digital painting (or painting, period) then I'd heartily reccomend doing a few paintings in black and white before you move on to colour - you can always colour the piece later and it does a fucking number on your ability to spot stuff like bounce light and highlights and generally improves your ability to have interacting objects instead of aspects that look like they were photoshopped together from different paintings. It was a trap I fell into.

Did a quick redline of what I supposed it would be closer to. Hope it helps, and best of luck!

Actually here's some more reading material.
Some stuff on hue, value, and chroma. Who'd have thought?
psg is fine too

Nope! I'm actually an adequate colorist and have done transparent watercolor for a long time now; I'm just dumbing it down and being horrible while I'm learning digital painting techniques. I'm keeping everything on separate layers for the moment, it'll be more cohesive later. Thanks for your concern though. Those hair tutorials are great and use a lot of specific photoshop techniques, so they are very useful to me. As for your correction, I'm not sure as to what I'm supposed to be seeing? You flipped the image, turned it black and white, then redlined in some, uh, very helpful comments and used a crappy chalk brush over it. Sorry you spent time doing that! Thank you so very much for those links though! Do come again.

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-15 12:01:56

Actually Lintire's comment had me "Oh my goodness am I going to have to relearn color entirely!" Annnnd so I worked like a mad scientist to find a method of using digital to mimic the properties of watercolors. Oh my goodness thank you for that because I feel so much more comfortable using this process instead of the usual tutorial one. So here's an image showing what I did! Just in case anyone's curious, going to tell me how weird it is, or who knows? Maybe somebody will find this method useful.

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-19 20:13:55

Aight so I ate some humble pie and decided to do a couple black and white studies like Lintire recommended... Long story short I just don't have the dexterity to do these well on a tablet/computer setup yet. I'll sit down for five or ten minutes to do a detailed figure study with some charcoal or graphite and they end up looking decent. Doing the same in photoshop was unbelievably painful and the result is just embarrassing ahaha. I think I'll start doing many quick gesture drawings to build up my coordination for digital. Consider my butt kicked for now.

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-19 20:17:22

At 4 days ago, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: I feel so much more comfortable using this process

Well here's a WIP of the first large painting I intend to try and finish with this CMY process. Turns out getting even skin tones and hair is actually somewhat difficult. I just need more practice. So far I know the hair/back line is an eyesore but is there anything else you guys might like to swear at? Please and thank you. :3

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-23 22:26:44

Updated! Not finished yet, but closer. Are the background dots dorky? I tried keeping 'em subtle.

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-23 22:30:02

At 2 minutes ago, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: Updated! Not finished yet, but closer. Are the background dots dorky? I tried keeping 'em subtle.

Also, this deal. Looks super odd and I know I need revisions.

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-24 22:31:43

It's as finished as much I have the patience to do! I'm definitely done looking at this image for the next month ahaha so off to the next painting adventure.

Art Portal

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-25 04:04:14

At 3/24/12 10:31 PM, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: It's as finished as much I have the patience to do! I'm definitely done looking at this image for the next month ahaha so off to the next painting adventure.

I think that using your method of colouring, this is really quite fascinating to me and I like how it ended up. Makes for a very interesting style. That being said, I know it was your first one, and it's a good start, but it needs to be tightened up a lot. Some lines that should be crisp are blurry, like the shirt colour. Did you intend for her chin/nose to look so green? There's also like a million colours in the hair. Overall, once you get the hang of this, I think it'll be cool to see what you make, and considering that I've never seen any other digital artist colour this way, your style will pop!

Art Portal

A nifty trick with urls of content on Newgrounds like Flash, Audio, or Art Portal submissions is that you can directly link the URL and it makes a cool link thingy, like so -

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-26 10:09:45

At 3/24/12 10:31 PM, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: It's as finished as much I have the patience to do! I'm definitely done looking at this image for the next month ahaha so off to the next painting adventure.

Oh damn, you already finished it. I should have noticed your thread earlier. I was gonna comment on how her teeth should be going backwards and up slightly instead of curving downward. And so essentially not much else besides her front two teeth should visible.

But yeah, nice thread. I really love that eye you painted which you are now using as your profile picture!!

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-03-26 21:33:58

At 3/25/12 04:04 AM, Spaghetti14 wrote: That being said, I know it was your first one, and it's a good start, but it needs to be tightened up a lot. Some lines that should be crisp are blurry, like the shirt colour. Did you intend for her chin/nose to look so green?

Yeah I became tired of looking at it before it was completely clean and decent. Next one will have more discipline! (I hope) And yes, I have this thing with colors. All of them end up everywhere.

:There's also like a million colours in the hair.

You say that like it's a bad thing! Ahaha

At 3/26/12 10:09 AM, CloudEater wrote: her teeth should be going backwards and up slightly instead of curving downward. And so essentially not much else besides her front two teeth should visible.

But yeah, nice thread. I really love that eye you painted which you are now using as your profile picture!!

That's why it looked so wonky! I've never drawn skulls or skeletons before, obviously that'd be a good thing for me to do to not make these kind of mistakes again.. this painting was definitely a victim of my laziness. And thank you very much!

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-04-01 01:37:26

Pardon the weak photograph, but I am participating in a certain custom shoe competition and here is a WIP of the pair I'm working on! I plan to fill the shoe up the yin-yang with Haida-style tribal art. The soles are painted black.. Anywhizzle if anyone has any advice on what they would like to see on the shoe, please speak up. The goal is to reach ultimate dopeness.

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-04-01 02:25:13

Also I'm going to do this during April. I will probably upload them in batches so it's not an annoying new post every day. Other people should do it too. Cheers!

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-08-26 22:56:59

At 4/1/12 02:25 AM, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: Also I'm going to do this during April. I will probably upload them in batches so it's not an annoying new post every day. Other people should do it too. Cheers!

Lies! I'm going to do that in September! Remembering do it in April was a dismal failure ahaha. Also here's my Comic Jam 3 "Submission".

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-08-26 23:06:29

At 8/26/12 10:56 PM, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: Lies! I'm going to do that in September! Remembering do it in April was a dismal failure ahaha. Also here's my Comic Jam 3 "Submission".

I'm guessing Spags pressured you into doing it? Little competition between you two?

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-08-26 23:36:18

At 8/26/12 11:06 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 8/26/12 10:56 PM, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: Lies! I'm going to do that in September! Remembering do it in April was a dismal failure ahaha. Also here's my Comic Jam 3 "Submission".
I'm guessing Spags pressured you into doing it? Little competition between you two?

Caught! Competition, no. Kickin' my butt for artistic laziness, yes!

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-09-23 23:44:09

I have a fever y'all. Which sucks for me, but while that was going on I made the scariest digital painting possible, about which I'm going to be optimistic and say it's awesome for you.

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-09-23 23:56:41

The drawing-everyday-for-a-month thing didn't work out again so I'm just going to let go of that. I made the two first drawings and then forgot about the whole thing. Since you would literally turn to stone if you saw my self-portrait from Day One I'll just show you my favorite animal from Day Two: a jellyfish. They are so chill, plus everyone draws them and is awesome at drawing them. This was various white and black charcoals on grey paper.

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-09-24 00:22:16

At 9/23/12 11:44 PM, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: I have a fever y'all. Which sucks for me, but while that was going on I made the scariest digital painting possible, about which I'm going to be optimistic and say it's awesome for you.

Doesn't look scary to me, I like the sketchy style. If I squint my eyes it almost looks like a picture.

The jellyfish looks cool too, though white might have been a better color for the tentacles. As most jellyfish have transparent/white tentacles, unless I am mistaken and have not seen a certain species which has black ones.

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-09-24 00:52:42

At 9/23/12 11:56 PM, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: Since you would literally turn to stone if you saw my self-portrait from Day One.....

Is that why we don't see Spags around here anymore?
ZING!

I joke, I joke

Response to Dweeby's Accountability Thread 2012-09-24 01:50:27

At 9/24/12 12:52 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 9/23/12 11:56 PM, DweebyHawkeyes wrote: Since you would literally turn to stone if you saw my self-portrait from Day One.....
Is that why we don't see Spags around here anymore?
ZING!
I joke, I joke

Do you have a boner for him or something? You can ask about him on Facebook but this is my art thread bro