00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wanted: Game music!

3,455 Views | 18 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Wanted: Game music! 2012-03-09 18:35:05

Ello all,

I'm writing myself an indie game. I've been programming for 17 years but this is the first time I've tackeld a game. It'll be a wee little puzzler with cats and dogs and should be a lot of fun.

My original plan was to do my own audio, using Ejay since that's pretty much the only software I know how to use.

Sooo. I thought I'd put the feelers out a bit first and see if anyone fancies doing between 2 and 5 new, original pieces of game music for me. It'd be really cool if I cound find an "audio buddy" to pair up with for this and future games, takes some of the heat off me since I'm already doing code, graphics and testing.

Here's the deal. If this game gets published on steam, as I intend, then you'll be in the credits, plus I'll advertise you did the soundtrack wherever I can. If the game ends up a major hit, then I'll be passing some profit on to you as well as asking if you want future employ.

There are a lot of ifs, and the coding on this particular game is only 40% done so far. Once it's further on I'm happy to send a demo of it out to the willing candidate so that they can see it's a real thing, and that it's gonna be a decent game (I hope!).

I'd also want exclusive rights to the music- there's a chance the game could do well & if so I don't want any BS "omg you stole music off xxx!" claims. We could drop said rights if the game failed dismally.

If genuinely interested in this experimental venture, first of all psot some links to your sample work here so I can see if you've got the vibe I'm looking for - then we'll chat further in private after that. :)

Response to Wanted: Game music! 2012-03-09 18:58:48

At 7 minutes ago, SpaceWhale wrote:
At 8 minutes ago, silkng wrote: I'd also want exclusive rights to the music-
You know, if I did that, the song would no longer be mine. At all. That's a problem for me. Why not just get unexclusive rights?

But other than that, I'm totally fine with doing this. Here's my Soundcloud, but if you need me to do some offbeat genre, I'll try that too.

I'm just being cautious. This game will be my baby. Imagine for example if the Angry Birds theme tune was not exclusive and people knew it from some other source, then accused the game makers of pinching it and so on.

Like I said it'd either be paid exlusivity if the game did well, or dropped to unexclusive if not.

If it ends up a major sore point then I'll drop it, for now let's just say I'm stating my preferences upfront. Afterall, if I make my own music, I'll know it's only ever been used in one place, and I'm loathe to lose that.

Response to Wanted: Game music! 2012-03-09 19:13:21

At 22 minutes ago, SpaceWhale wrote: But other than that, I'm totally fine with doing this. Here's my Soundcloud, but if you need me to do some offbeat genre, I'll try that too.

Liked your tracks, the last one (100 Summers) came closest to what I'm looking for - a cheesy tune for my menu screen. Hapy with chiptune or anything really, but bonus points if it can have cat/dog sfx thrown in.

Also looking for a few ambient tracks for gameplay - which is a relaxed "thinking" puzzle mode. I guess something like harvest moon music.

I think I'm probbly best off asking again once I can at least show the visual style of the game, just seeing if there's any interest at all for now.

Response to Wanted: Game music! 2012-03-09 19:21:55

Are you only accepting one composer? I don't want to steal a job from SpaceWhale, but I'm interested in this project. I post most of my work here, but all my finished tracks are up on my soundcloud.

Idyllic Memories, Distorted Aquanet, and Tie seem to be close to what you're looking for, but not quite on the dot. Nonetheless I'm sure I could follow any directions you put forth.

Response to Wanted: Game music! 2012-03-09 19:47:39

At 5 minutes ago, SpaceWhale wrote: Well, since you are giving credit, and I (in the event that I do it) would make custom songs, I don't think I'd have TOO much of a problem with it. :3

What kind of music do you need?

I think it's easier if I post examples..

For a title screen, something upbeat and catchy, with dogs/cat noises as well if poss. I know it's not easy to time such samples with beats.

Anwyays like I said, upbeat, so like e.g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlx5bWb3t8c

(the original and the best, hehe! My mates and I sing this tune when trying to pack things into our fridge or gear up for camping and stuff the car boot)

Other examples of fast paced stuff I like..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHW5ZGAf4vk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nbo7Z7Dxqc&feature=related

For in game, I'm hoping for at least two ambient tracks (otherwise it gets too samey). Something along these lines.. you know, pan pipes, synths, relaxation but hopefully catchy/memorable too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSgKzZor7k0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJtwEpQe6w0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32rdAG3Q5cs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS_1Aa8vNoM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCVG4oslDFw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx2Yq6FZqcM&feature=related

Hoenstly if it has to wait until I've got something to show to get the juices flowing, then so be it. Just sounding out ideas first. ;)

Response to Wanted: Game music! 2012-03-09 19:51:29

At 28 minutes ago, WizMystery wrote: Are you only accepting one composer? I don't want to steal a job from SpaceWhale, but I'm interested in this project. I post most of my work here, but all my finished tracks are up on my soundcloud.

Idyllic Memories, Distorted Aquanet, and Tie seem to be close to what you're looking for, but not quite on the dot. Nonetheless I'm sure I could follow any directions you put forth.

Nah the more the merrier, the more people contribute the more music I can put into it and the more names we can get out there. If the game sells, which ya know, I wish I could promise but I can't ;)

Also no matter what happens I will be making other games in future, I have four very solid ideas including a bloody awesome gauntlet clone and a mental, random card based humour filled RPG.

It's getting late here now, will check your stuff tomorrow. In meantime see above for what I'm kind of lookingfor!

@Spacewhale thanks for that, I will have a listen and reply tomorrow. :)

Response to Wanted: Game music! 2012-03-09 20:33:59

At 1 hour ago, silkng wrote:
I'd also want exclusive rights to the music- there's a chance the game could do well & if so I don't want any BS "omg you stole music off xxx!" claims. We could drop said rights if the game failed dismally.

Hmm, well I COULD write a soundtrack that you own exclusive rights to, but then I'd have to charge you considerably extra (and likely upfront), as that sort of deal costs the composer money in the long run due to opportunity costs. I wouldn't recommend that route for anybody, though, unless you wanted to sell the soundtrack on your own. You might want to consider inclusive rights to the music, meaning that the composer can use the music for whatever s/he pleases while you have the right to use it in your game.

Alternatively, you could organize it so that the composer doesn't publically release the music for X months, or agrees not to release the music for free. That could fix your concerns with music accreditation.

I'll help you out with music if you need SFX or more soundtrack, especially if you're paying a percentage of the profits. Just take a look at my work, if you're interested.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to Wanted: Game music! 2012-03-10 07:16:53

At 10 hours ago, Gario wrote:
At 1 hour ago, silkng wrote:
Hmm, well I COULD write a soundtrack that you own exclusive rights to, but then I'd have to charge you considerably extra (and likely upfront), as that sort of deal costs the composer money in the long run due to opportunity costs. I wouldn't recommend that route for anybody, though, unless you wanted to sell the soundtrack on your own. You might want to consider inclusive rights to the music, meaning that the composer can use the music for whatever s/he pleases while you have the right to use it in your game.

Alternatively, you could organize it so that the composer doesn't publically release the music for X months, or agrees not to release the music for free. That could fix your concerns with music accreditation.

I'll help you out with music if you need SFX or more soundtrack, especially if you're paying a percentage of the profits. Just take a look at my work, if you're interested.

Yeah I guess until I make myself known I can't really ask for exclusivity, I get that. But I would want some assurances that the music hasn't been used in another publicly released game, and like you said, a grace period to give the game a chance to take off and if it does, a mutual agreement that I can buy the rights to the audio.

Response to Wanted: Game music! 2012-03-10 07:48:36

PM'd everyone. :)

I'll keep my eye here from now on, to see how people are getting on.

What I would say is if you are interested in joining me on this venture, reply to my PM so I know - that way I can share my contact details with you.

Today I'm hoping to start some art as I've found a good cut off point for my code. I'll try to post updates regularly, though there is always my twitter as well:

https://twitter.com/#!/silktw

Response to Wanted: Game music! 2012-03-10 11:03:37

At 3 hours ago, silkng wrote: Yeah I guess until I make myself known I can't really ask for exclusivity, I get that. But I would want some assurances that the music hasn't been used in another publicly released game, and like you said, a grace period to give the game a chance to take off and if it does, a mutual agreement that I can buy the rights to the audio.

It's not so much how well known you are, more like whether or not you're willing to pay an arm and a leg for exclusive rights. That's a hell of a lot for an artist to lose: they would have to license the music back from you if they wanted to release the soundtrack, they'd never be able to publish the music and make money from licensing or ad/film/tv placements, they couldn't even use the music for demonstration purposes (e.g. on their personal website) unless they got permission from you.

It's especially bad since there's no money up front, and, hell, you didn't even guarantee payment after: "If the game ends up a major hit, then I'll be passing some profit on to you..."

Even for non-exclusive music, I'd say you're looking at a few hundred dollars per track. IF you want professional-sounding audio (as in, professional-level composition, proper mixing, etc.). Otherwise, you can probably find people willing to do it cheap or free, but it probably won't sound as good.

We're not trying to bankrupt people here. But our society has completely devalued music. To the point where suddenly it becomes okay for people to expect exclusive rights for free. People seem to forget that musicians have to eat and have bills to pay, as well.

Some of us do occasionally work for free or limited payment. It's a good way of expanding our portfolio; other times, it's just because we love the premise of the work -- I'm doing voluntary work on a project, for example, because I love the idea of the game, and I think it deserves high-quality audio.

I have a motto that I picked up from other working composers: "Fast, cheap, or good. You can choose two. If you want it fast and cheap, it won't be good; fast and good, it won't be cheap; or cheap and good, but it won't be fast."

Response to Wanted: Game music! 2012-03-10 11:38:55

At 34 minutes ago, RampantMusik wrote: Some of us do occasionally work for free or limited payment. It's a good way of expanding our portfolio; other times, it's just because we love the premise of the work -- I'm doing voluntary work on a project, for example, because I love the idea of the game, and I think it deserves high-quality audio.

I have a motto that I picked up from other working composers: "Fast, cheap, or good. You can choose two. If you want it fast and cheap, it won't be good; fast and good, it won't be cheap; or cheap and good, but it won't be fast."

Maybe I worded it badly, but I tried to stipulate that if the game flopped ergo no money, then I wouldn't expect to keep the rights, but if it suceeded, I would - and they'd be paid for as well.

I just figured I'd give someone a chance to get their name out their but if it comes to it I can simply make the music myself for now.

Response to Wanted: Game music! 2012-03-10 11:54:14

I made this track not too long ago. Not sure if it reflects what you are after but feel free to listen to it :)

Response to Wanted: Game music! 2012-03-10 19:00:14

At 7 hours ago, silkng wrote: Maybe I worded it badly, but I tried to stipulate that if the game flopped ergo no money, then I wouldn't expect to keep the rights, but if it suceeded, I would - and they'd be paid for as well.

I just figured I'd give someone a chance to get their name out their but if it comes to it I can simply make the music myself for now.

I'll save you any shit. Free music, exclusive rights and you can even sell the soundtrack if you wanted with no payment needed. Terms: visual credit given.
Threw this together in 2min for a preview: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/b45506ed6cbd349c310de761 8a723a43
Early Nintendo-esque ambient is what I think would suit a casual indie puzzle game.

BBS Signature

Response to Wanted: Game music! 2012-03-10 19:41:33

At 34 minutes ago, TjA wrote: I'll save you any shit. Free music, exclusive rights and you can even sell the soundtrack if you wanted with no payment needed.

Y'know a really good way to screw up prospects for both you and everyone else making any money in the musical field? Short changing yourself (and other composers in the process) like this. When someone is graciously offering a percentage of profits AND allowing more than one person to help him out, this only serves to hurt everybody involved; it's not realistic.

Stop that. It's hurts composers.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to Wanted: Game music! 2012-03-11 11:30:27

At 14 hours ago, Gario wrote:
Stop that. It's hurts composers.

Oi, stop squabblin ;)

I'd pay people whether they asked for it or not, I don't undervalue music at all.

Response to Wanted: Game music! 2012-03-11 11:31:40

At 15 seconds ago, silkng wrote:
I'd pay people whether they asked for it or not, I don't undervalue music at all.

In fact I'd add to this, that I think music plays a massive part in some gays. Maybe not so much my first puzzler game but my RPG? Heck yeah. I think back to my old favorite RPGs, often the first thing I remember is epic boss music.. Music is powerful.

I will be a very fair person to work for, once I'm at the stage where I can pay.

Response to Wanted: Game music! 2012-03-11 11:32:49

At 19 seconds ago, silkng wrote: In fact I'd add to this, that I think music plays a massive part in some gays.

Ahaha freudian slip, games not gays. Oh dear! I wish there were an edit button.

Response to Wanted: Game music! 2012-03-11 13:28:12

I would say that I'm interested, but I'm realizing now that I don't really have the right kind of examples to show I can make game music. I need to work on that, but in the meantime, my expectations are low. :) However, if you get to a point that you're looking for specific examples and are shooting for as wide a sample size as possible, hit me up and I'll submit something. :P

BBS Signature

Response to Wanted: Game music! 2012-03-11 19:13:16