00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

2001: Space Odyssey

2,311 Views | 32 Replies

2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 00:10:37

Can somebody explain me the ending... I feel violated...

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 00:18:38

At 7 minutes ago, HeavenDuff wrote: Can somebody explain me the ending... I feel violated...

Well, not really. I got a good idea on how the monolith is influing on the human specy, but I'd like to know what you guys think of the ending :)

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 00:28:02

There is no explaining it...

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 00:52:43

At 28 minutes ago, HeavenDuff wrote: Well, not really. I got a good idea on how the monolith is influing on the human specy, but I'd like to know what you guys think of the ending :)

That's basically it. The monoliths are really the checkpoints when humanity evolves to another level: Ape evolves to use tools, man leaves Earth and reaches the moon, and when man reaches Jupiter to show dominion over space travel. When man reaches these points they are able to move to a higher point of existence.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 00:57:19

At 3 minutes ago, reverend wrote: That's basically it. The monoliths are really the checkpoints when humanity evolves to another level:

Sounds like Spore, but I heard Spore was heavily influenced by that movie. I want to check it out sometime, never gotten a chance to.

Sounds like it was pretty good, for its time at least.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 01:05:09

I don't know, I fell asleep long before then.

Fuck Stanley Kubric.

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 01:31:49

Who cares space odyssey for me it was such a slow movie spent way to long showing certain scenes, the movie to me doesn't start until the 20 - 30 minute mark and then it slightly picks up but still very slow paced too much time spent making it look artistic instead of writing a decent fucking script ;p
Personally think it's really overrated.

BBS Signature

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 01:38:04

At 40 minutes ago, Narcissy wrote:
At 3 minutes ago, reverend wrote: That's basically it. The monoliths are really the checkpoints when humanity evolves to another level:
Sounds like Spore

fucking spore that game was the biggest disappointment

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 01:40:48

That's the name of a strip club where I live.
They put that strip club in one of the Tony Hawk games.

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 01:43:09

At 1 hour ago, HeavenDuff wrote: Can somebody explain me the ending... I feel violated...

Just forgot about it and watch a funny movie.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 01:43:43

At 2 minutes ago, Sanch wrote: fucking spore that game was the biggest disappointment

Won't hide my disappointment in a lot of underdeveloped features, and lack of evolutionary stages. Such as the water stage. Seems like evolving from a crustacean to a land walking incest would be fairly important.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 01:47:52

Why would you watch that movie, when you could be playing a video game.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 17:37:55

At 15 hours ago, KiDX05 wrote: Who cares space odyssey for me it was such a slow movie spent way to long showing certain scenes, the movie to me doesn't start until the 20 - 30 minute mark and then it slightly picks up but still very slow paced too much time spent making it look artistic instead of writing a decent fucking script ;p

I will have to disagree. The movie is meant to be slow-paced. The atmosphere of terryfying emptyness of space, or the crushing and dominating power of the monolith couldn't be felt without the music and the slow-paced progression of the storylines (because the movie does include 4 different chapters). To be completely fair, some scenes really are way too long and slow. The two overly long and slow-paced scenes in my opinion are the first time they go out of the spaceship to fix it, and the scene in the last chapter when the astronaut reaches Jupiter's orbit and starts seing crazy acid-trip like shit for a full ten minutes of the movie. Otherwise, I wasn't disapointed with any scene from the movie. I don't know why you say the movie doesn't start up until 20-30 minutes. The first chapter of the movie, Dawn Of Men is quite important considering the fact that it introduces the Monolith to the story and also considering the impact it has on Man's evolution.

Might be, but I still liked it. Unique experience, especially because of the amazing soundtrack.

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 17:42:10

At 17 hours ago, HeavenDuff wrote: Can somebody explain me the ending... I feel violated...

he turned on his music visualizer by accident and started tripping out

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 17:47:28

At 4 minutes ago, amplefied wrote:
At 17 hours ago, HeavenDuff wrote: Can somebody explain me the ending... I feel violated...
he turned on his music visualizer by accident and started tripping out

Best explaination so far. I assume that's also why he turns in a gigantic space foetus that warps through the universe at lightspeed.

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 17:49:17

Aliens.

This is filler text.

The Noise I Make. || I'm not dead! || Confess. || AIM/MSN.

BBS Signature

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 18:00:37

At 16 hours ago, KiDX05 wrote: Who cares space odyssey for me it was such a slow movie spent way to long showing certain scenes, the movie to me doesn't start until the 20 - 30 minute mark and then it slightly picks up but still very slow paced too much time spent making it look artistic instead of writing a decent fucking script ;p

Obviously you don't appreciate art. It's supposed to be paced slowly since it has a plot that doesn't involve explosions or killing people.

Good god, people today can't appreciate anything good.

gorp

BBS Signature

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 18:01:15

At 9 minutes ago, HeavenDuff wrote: Best explaination so far. I assume that's also why he turns in a gigantic space foetus that warps through the universe at lightspeed.

Nah the giant fetus was induced by a DMT hallucination released by the brain as he was dying from the lack of oxygen and as the spacecraft was veering into Jupiter.

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 18:17:29

At 10 minutes ago, Drake wrote:
At 16 hours ago, KiDX05 wrote: Who cares space odyssey for me it was such a slow movie spent way to long showing certain scenes, the movie to me doesn't start until the 20 - 30 minute mark and then it slightly picks up but still very slow paced too much time spent making it look artistic instead of writing a decent fucking script ;p
Obviously you don't appreciate art. It's supposed to be paced slowly since it has a plot that doesn't involve explosions or killing people.

I also consider you can't build-up a great space atmosphere, especially one that is supposed to be heavy, immersive and tense... if you don't take the time.

In the second chapter, I really like the scene when the scientist is flying is this kind of space plane to the space station. And the other scene when they first encounter the Monolith on the Moon. The drone music, the ambience... damn! That was intense! There is no way this scene could have been any shorter or faster-paced.

Good god, people today can't appreciate anything good.

Well, to be fair Drake wasn't hard on the movie and he didn't say it sucked balls. Plus, you don't have to like a movie like this. It might not be your type of cinema. I still think we all need to make an effort to at least try to appreciate such a special kind of cinema. The movie was well made, and it accomplished every goal Kubrick has set for it.

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 18:18:23

At 16 minutes ago, Drake wrote: Obviously you don't appreciate art. It's supposed to be paced slowly since it has a plot that doesn't involve killing people.

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 18:19:50

At 18 hours ago, HeavenDuff wrote: Space Odyssey

Ground Control to Major Tom
Take your protein pills
and put your helmet on

Commencing countdown,
engines on
Check ignition
and may God's love be with you!

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 18:23:23

This should sum it up for you:

http://www.kubrick2001.com/

PsychoZoid/Andrew Berry: The most uninteresting man in the world

BBS Signature

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 18:32:21

From what I've read and seen, I thought it had to do with new beginnings as its a newborn baby floating in space at the end

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 18:35:35

At 11 minutes ago, Psych wrote: This should sum it up for you:

Watching it right now. I'm not really agreing with it all :O so far at least.

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 18:41:35

At 2 minutes ago, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 11 minutes ago, Psych wrote: This should sum it up for you:

Watching it right now. I'm not really agreing with it all :O so far at least.

The understanding of the whole concept of technologies and tools in Kubrick's work is very interresting though. I like what he did with the third part.

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 19:25:24

At 14 minutes ago, GabeLam wrote: The ending is when you stand up and realize you just watched the most boring movie ever. Kthx.

So, did you watch The Expendables 2 yet?

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 19:37:38

At 1 hour ago, Asperchu wrote:
At 16 minutes ago, Drake wrote: Obviously you don't appreciate art. It's supposed to be paced slowly since it has a plot that doesn't involve killing people.

I'm facepalming from your facepalming from what he said.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 19:44:23

At 5 minutes ago, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 1 hour ago, Asperchu wrote:
I'm facepalming from your facepalming from what he said.

I second this facepalm.

Also, to those who were talking about Spores. If you search the 2001: A Space Odyssey and Spores pages on Wikipedia, you will see that both make mention of the influence that Kubrick's Monolith had on the game.

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 22:54:49

At 44 minutes ago, NickScott wrote: I facepalm for all of Newgrounds. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by your lack of appreciate for higher-level thinking and art, but it still saddens me. Oh well, sometimes I do forget you are all 13. So no biggie.

You know as well as I that there are mature 18+ users on this forum. Disliking one movie is hardly an indication of a complete lack of appreciation for art, or a sign of mental incapacity. In fact, I could argue that your reliance on movies, of all things, to present you with new ideas and change your outlook on life, suggests a lack of appreciation for the complexities of people, nature, and real-world events, things that are far deeper than anything a collaboration of director, writers, actors, etc. could hope to produce.

That being said, I highly enjoy 2001: A Space Odyssey, especially the ending. This video explains it very well in my opinion. Also, I would suggest reading some of the replied-to comments directly under the video description. I found this uploader's comment to be quite insightful: "People sometimes don't realise that Kubrics art was in part down to his inventive approach to film making. He often used striking ways of bucking the norm that have a tendency to make folks think he's doing more than he is. 2001 is very elegant, but a simpler film than most appreciate"

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature

Response to 2001: Space Odyssey 2012-03-06 23:40:56

At 45 minutes ago, Tremulos wrote: That being said, I highly enjoy 2001: A Space Odyssey, especially the ending. This video explains it very well in my opinion. Also, I would suggest reading some of the replied-to comments directly under the video description. I found this uploader's comment to be quite insightful: "People sometimes don't realise that Kubrics art was in part down to his inventive approach to film making. He often used striking ways of bucking the norm that have a tendency to make folks think he's doing more than he is. 2001 is very elegant, but a simpler film than most appreciate"

I can't watch the video right now, but there are some nice comments in the comment section in itself. This one gets me into more thinking :

"my interpretation is that we are seeing his own manifestations as he moves up to the 5th dimension as his soul departs from the cage of time, ever moment becomes eternal. Many religions mention the Merkabah, a vehicle of light that is used to travel at birth & death / ascend through the dimensions. i see this as a real time event not a trick to bypass a montage, here the visuals are replaced with the real journey, the rising of the species consciousness"

Your thoughts?