00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nue22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Keeping brush one thickness?

4,617 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Keeping brush one thickness? 2012-03-05 08:08:09

I find that when I draw my characters for their first frame of animation -- or anything for that matter, not just characters -- I tend to zoom in a lot to fill in details and get a closer look at what I'm drawing. But doing this causes my graphics to each have lines with different a different thickness. One character will have thick lines, another character will have really thin lines.

Just now the only solution I can come up with is to drag another graphic on to the stage to compare the brush size to. Is there no way to lock the brush to one size, even if I zoom in?

Response to Keeping brush one thickness? 2012-03-05 09:14:14

The short answer is "...Nope"

however what I do is limit myself to only zooming in by a certain margin no matter what. This may sound a little vague so basically this is how I keep line thickness consistent.

1- make my brush size the 2nd smallest choice
2- when I zoom in to add detail I always zoom in at the same increment which is easy because on my tablet i just move my finger in a semi circle and it zooms in the same amount always.
3- once I'm zoomed in I change the brush size one size bigger so it compensates for the zooming I just did and everything stays consistent.

This is basically the best way I've found to keep line thickness consistent. I had the same issue as you for a while. Hope my tip helps.

Response to Keeping brush one thickness? 2012-03-05 11:46:41

Well it's good to know theres not a hidden setting I've been missing all these years. I guess I'll just try to work around it with what I have.

Response to Keeping brush one thickness? 2012-03-05 12:27:31

croire is right, there is not magic behind it or at least not one im aware of

still, from what ive read, you tend to spend much time adding details on your first frame and i think THATS your problem

you can have a character design and some keyframes very detailed but not first frame, i know how it is, you want to draw something nice ASAP but if thats the case then do character design, you want consistency rather than detail

so once you are feeling less like drawing and more like animating try to draw everything on a set zoom, IT DOESNT MEAN LESS DETAIL, you can have as many details as you want, detail doesnt equal different line thinkness

ama gon chill

Response to Keeping brush one thickness? 2012-03-05 13:50:14

You can adjust thickness better in Flash CS5.

BBS Signature

Response to Keeping brush one thickness? 2012-03-05 18:14:10

This is really an irritating thing that is one of the reasons I don't like Flash really much.
The brush size should zoom in along with your canvas.

Response to Keeping brush one thickness? 2012-03-05 21:38:39

At 3 hours ago, leocartoon1 wrote: This is really an irritating thing that is one of the reasons I don't like Flash really much.

That's what the pencil tool is for, son.

Response to Keeping brush one thickness? 2012-03-06 11:26:35

At 13 hours ago, Emrox wrote:
At 3 hours ago, leocartoon1 wrote: This is really an irritating thing that is one of the reasons I don't like Flash really much.

The pencil tool is more consistent but it's so....bland.

Response to Keeping brush one thickness? 2012-03-06 12:10:49

You have to keep a tendency. In my case, I have a tendency to make a rough sketch and then zoom 200% and use the second smallest brush and make the clean lines. And keep doing that for everything else, unless the object is far away, it's better to use thin lines or no lines at all to create the effect of distance.

Response to Keeping brush one thickness? 2012-03-06 14:03:21

At 2 hours ago, Croire wrote:
At 13 hours ago, Emrox wrote:
The pencil tool is more consistent but it's so....bland.

There's no variation in the line weight...
That's why it's bland.