Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-10 08:49:41 Reply

At 8/10/12 02:26 AM, LiquidFire wrote:
Are you going to let people try out the script before it's complete?

Most likely at a later date because at the moment I have no system in place to mix old and new preferences saved on the user's computer, so every new feature I add requires me to clear the file manually, it's a process I wouldn't want to make anyone go through, especially if they weren't familiar with how to do so.

I would definitely like some feedback from the mod community and the NG regulars, since I don't have access to mod-only features, I want to make sure I didn't break anything, and regulars who use the site a lot probably have great suggestions for new features.

Like I said, I would love an eager crew of beta testers, but the script is still too young for that.

LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Melancholy
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-10 09:22:18 Reply

At 8/10/12 08:49 AM, Xaotik wrote: Like I said, I would love an eager crew of beta testers, but the script is still too young for that.

I'm definitely interested in that.

I'm crazy! Got a doctor's note.
Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
Slint
Slint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-10 10:27:09 Reply

At 3/3/12 03:59 PM, Xaotik wrote:
So here is NosalgiaLevels 2.0

Chrome demands these to be in the Web Store now...

Would you please upload it there if you can?

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Melancholy
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-10 11:01:56 Reply

At 8/10/12 10:27 AM, Slint wrote:
At 3/3/12 03:59 PM, Xaotik wrote:
So here is NosalgiaLevels 2.0

or you could use this method

BBS Signature
Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-10 12:12:47 Reply

At 8/10/12 11:01 AM, LiquidFire wrote:
At 8/10/12 10:27 AM, Slint wrote:

or you could use this method

The method I wrote a tutorial on that Liquid linked to is actually really easy. I also greatly disapprove of Google doing this with Chrome, it really creates a lot more hassle for scripters like myself, that's why I won't ever make use of the Chrome Web Store as a protest for users being able to install things at will.

Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-13 02:17:14 Reply

Well, its official guys! Newgrounds+ has passed 1000 lines of code. Also, it got a bit messier than I expected, but still no errors showing up in Firefox or Chrome so I didn't mess up :)

I leave you guys with this, a pic of the work-in-progress preferences screen.

Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2

Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-13 16:27:06 Reply

Ok guys, at 1000 lines of code and counting, I'm looking forward to a beta release. I did find a few bugs, nothing that fatally impairs the use of the script, mostly just Firefox not playing nice with some UI styles. While I work bugs out and write some introductory documentation / possibly a bug reporter, I'd once again like to stress the desire for any and all suggestions, I like to know what the user base wants most!

Also, I normally like to let my body of work speak for itself, but since this project is so massive, if anyone knows someone who might like this script and isn't a regular here at the GM thread, I kindly ask that you spread the word.

Also all beta testers, or anyone who suggests/contributes a feature will appear in the credits on the About screen and the special thanks screen of the final script.

Thanks guys!

LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Melancholy
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-13 17:49:07 Reply

At 8/13/12 04:27 PM, Xaotik wrote: I like to know what the user base wants most!

Implementation of older scripts. Like quote and reply, quick bbs and bbs jump.

BBS Signature
Trapex
Trapex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Writer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-13 18:49:42 Reply

Holy fuck, I really HAVEN'T visited this thread in a while. I unfortunately haven't actually made much of any progress with my programming abilities, so I can't really offer anything up as of now.

Also, Xaotik, good luck with your project.

Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-13 19:22:29 Reply

At 8/13/12 05:49 PM, LiquidFire wrote:
At 8/13/12 04:27 PM, Xaotik wrote: I like to know what the user base wants most!
Implementation of older scripts. Like quote and reply, quick bbs and bbs jump.

Quote & Reply and BBS Jump are already new and improved in the script, and Quick BBS is coming soon. Anything else you think would be helpful?

Trapex
Trapex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Writer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-13 19:41:58 Reply

Actually, Xaotik....I don't suppose that you could implement a system for reminding a user of something specific that they want to remember? Like, let's say, a deadline for a collab? Or a new post that has been made in a particular thread in the forum? Things of that nature.

Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-13 22:04:07 Reply

At 8/13/12 07:41 PM, Trapex wrote: Actually, Xaotik....I don't suppose that you could implement a system for reminding a user of something specific that they want to remember? Like, let's say, a deadline for a collab? Or a new post that has been made in a particular thread in the forum? Things of that nature.

I get the reminders system and its a great idea, but when you talk about following threads, do you mean finding new posts in the thread or saving a specific post like a sticky note? Neither one would be difficult to code, just that the former, redownloading the posts constantly, could get very bandwidth-expensive so it would have to be on a timer of some sort, or after "x" page reloads.

And, as an update for everyone, I've solved all the issues with Firefox. Hotkeys weren't functioning properly and it had to do with the window losing focus whilst interacting with the inline poster. The issue has been corrected and hotkeys should now function as intended on Firefox.

Dosensuppen
Dosensuppen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Animator
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-13 22:55:31 Reply

At 7/31/12 06:03 PM, Xaotik wrote: Hey guys, this is my first script in a while. Finished it in a hurry due to a request I received via PM. The finalized version of my Hush! Ignore List.

I love you forever.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature
Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-14 01:53:54 Reply

OK guys, I just finished off the Ignore List for NG+, its based off of the same kind of engine I used with Hush, but this time, I made it more informative, with information regarding the date you ignored the user, also the UI for the Ignore List is a bit more robust now.

I've also built an "alerter" that chills hidden in your top-right corner, and flashes messages from the script for different things. Currently, it only tells you that the install and initialization was a success the first time you run the script. I'll see what I can do with it.

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-14 04:42:42 Reply

I love this Newgrounds+ idea. As long as disabling the scripts I don't want will completely turn them off as if I disabled them in Tools > Extensions (so that they don't use up CPU power) then I think it would be great to have it all in one script.

Suggestion: Is it possible to make the notifications button notify you of different things other than just new content from your favourite users? Stuff like new reviews on your submissions, new replies to your forum posts, new comments on your newsposts, new users who added you to their favourite artists list, etc...? This is the one thing I want there to be in the redesign the most but the NG staff don't seem to be implementing it any time soon.

If you do implement the above, though, I'd highly suggest making it so that it calculates these notifications when the user presses the notifications button (not like, for example, in Facebook, where the notifications are updated in realtime), because I'd imagine that searching for new reviews/replies/etc would take a bit of time and processing.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-14 11:13:27 Reply

At 8/14/12 04:42 AM, Step wrote: I love this Newgrounds+ idea. As long as disabling the scripts I don't want will completely turn them off as if I disabled them in Tools > Extensions (so that they don't use up CPU power) then I think it would be great to have it all in one script.

Suggestion: Is it possible to make the notifications button notify you of different things other than just new content from your favourite users? Stuff like new reviews on your submissions, new replies to your forum posts, new comments on your newsposts, new users who added you to their favourite artists list, etc...? This is the one thing I want there to be in the redesign the most but the NG staff don't seem to be implementing it any time soon.

If you do implement the above, though, I'd highly suggest making it so that it calculates these notifications when the user presses the notifications button (not like, for example, in Facebook, where the notifications are updated in realtime), because I'd imagine that searching for new reviews/replies/etc would take a bit of time and processing.

Each setting toggle is checked individually, so no resources will be used generating content that will never be injected into the page. As far as the notifications button goes, each one of those things would require sending a new XMLHttpRequest to NG's servers (basically loading the HTML from the page), and it would probably be a noticeable reduction in speed, also things on the domain "xaotik.newgrounds.com" are considered a different domain than "www.newgrounds.com", so it would be a bit difficult to find things like people who have favorited you, or a list of all your submissions, the only way I can think to "sneak" around this would be open an invisible iframe with the target userpage (which is resource intense itself), have the page set a temporary cookie, and then have the main page unload the iframe and read that cookie, since cookies can be used with a root domain of "newgrounds.com" and therefore remain valid on all NG pages. I'll definitely try to look into it though.

Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-14 14:15:34 Reply

Another update for you guys, here is a pic of that mysterious Ignore List I've built on the Hush engine, nice little upgrade if I say so myself :)

It doesn't actually blur out user pics, I just did that to hide the identities of the people I've ignored with it.

LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Melancholy
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-14 16:58:18 Reply

Are you going to stop hosting the old user scripts when you're done with this one?

BBS Signature
Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-14 16:59:37 Reply

At 8/14/12 04:58 PM, LiquidFire wrote: Are you going to stop hosting the old user scripts when you're done with this one?

Not going to stop hosting, although I probably won't offer any new features for them seeing how this one script will cover all of their functions.

Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-14 18:36:35 Reply

I've got a question to pose to you guys regarding a feature. Do you guys think that something like the pic below would be legitimately useful or just an easier way for spammers to avoid being caught?

- Also, for those who will ask, this does not have to store your password. I'm going to make a "storePasswords" option which will store an encrypted password, but if that is disabled, this dialogue will just prompt for a password when you try to switch accounts, and spit the values right into the login form without ever saving any info.

LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Melancholy
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-15 09:55:44 Reply

At 8/14/12 06:36 PM, Xaotik wrote: I've got a question to pose to you guys regarding a feature. Do you guys think that something like the pic below would be legitimately useful or just an easier way for spammers to avoid being caught?

- Also, for those who will ask, this does not have to store your password. I'm going to make a "storePasswords" option which will store an encrypted password, but if that is disabled, this dialogue will just prompt for a password when you try to switch accounts, and spit the values right into the login form without ever saving any info.

I think it'll be a bit useless. Although I don't know how many users have alts or how often they're used. I know I would never use it, since I use a different browser for my alts.

BBS Signature
Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-17 12:07:59 Reply

What's up guys. I'm going to call the Thread and Post settings on NG+ officially done now, so I'd like to take suggestions for other areas of the site. This includes but is not limited to Portals, the Front Page, and the other parts of the BBS (such as forum indexes). I'm not sure what I'm doing with user pages yet as modern browsers consider them a different domain and it makes saving/loading data between them and the rest of NG very difficult.

As always, I'll take suggestions here and via PM.

Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-21 17:19:35 Reply

Hey guys, I'm busy at work making more features in NG+. I have a quick question for all of you about styling. Which one of the two options below look better to you?

This Report button may become a finalized feature after some testing. I want to get an idea of how easy/hard it would be to accidentally hit Report if it was too close to Ignore

Option 1
Option 2

Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-21 17:21:08 Reply

Sorry for double post, something got screwed with the first link.

Option 1

Sectus
Sectus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Writer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-21 17:22:50 Reply

I am impressed you are still developing these features. Keep up the good work, all of your stuff is good man!

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [I don't actually have a personality]

BBS Signature
Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-08-23 19:29:35 Reply

Hey guys, just a quick post because I think I found a bug in a feature I was working on. Also, I decided to put the report button next to the "Response to..." section.

Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-09-03 12:01:59 Reply

Hello all, just another update on the status of NG+. I've decided to implement BBS quick links the way shown below because I feel it unclutters the quicklinks bar and adds the opportunity to put more than just simple links up there. Let me know how you all like it, I can always change back if this doesn't look too good, but I think it works well.

Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-09-04 12:02:47 Reply

Its still in very early testing stages, but basically it randomly selects an online mod and sends them info and a link to a post, this way any user can easily/quickly send mods info about rule-breakers.

I'm not totally sure how it is going to be implemented in its final stages, but it is something I'm thinking about.

Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-09-04 12:16:55 Reply

Make one that undoes the redesign and lets me draw dicks over peoples' level icons.

Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Greasemonkey Scripts For Ng V2 2012-09-04 13:15:27 Reply

At 9/4/12 12:16 PM, GuerrilleroHeroico wrote: Make one that undoes the redesign and lets me draw dicks over peoples' level icons.

I can uhh, not do that and you can pretend I did?