00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Emoticon Collab!

77,505 Views | 502 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-08 14:47:06

At 2 hours ago, MajesticBob wrote: WIP. I can not seem to get a smooth line to save my life, so I'm going to try Sai and some other suggestions. I realize I will most likely have to remake this from scratch but the concept will be the same. This WIP is more of a sounding board as in: does the brighter shirt color work? crotch and butt tummy better? So I have a better idea of what to avoid what seems to be working.

I like it for the most part, although I think it could have a better color scheme.
Also, that crotch.... still needs work :P

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-08 15:52:54

I feel like I am letting people down but I am going to have to back out for personal reasons a lot of stuff has come up that I need to do, sort out or be there for and its going to limit my time I can work on this project. I think because of this the standard of my work will not be adequate for the collab. So can you please open up my emotion again.

Thanks and good luck everyone I can not wait to see the final product.

World Keeps On Turning.

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-08 16:03:15

At 13 hours ago, Hoboweasel wrote:
At 41 minutes ago, Lintire wrote:
At 6 minutes ago, Hoboweasel wrote: Here's what I have so far... Is this fine, or should I scrap it? I was in a plague doctor mood.
Well I wouldn't draw a dick on it. I say keep it.
I'll just have to take the former as a compliment. The background will be done later; I've got some stuff to do...

Wow ...So that's 27 ,that looks really cool though I don't exactly see much of the actual confusion on your concept ... maybe it's more on the emphasis of where the face is directed?

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-08 19:32:47

At 6 hours ago, MajesticBob wrote: This WIP is more of a sounding board as in: does the brighter shirt color work? crotch and butt tummy better? So I have a better idea of what to avoid what seems to be working.

The "u" shaped line under his belly button that hangs over his belt doesn't make sense to me. If a guy of that shape had a fat flap, it would take up much more space horizontally. That is the line I keep asking you to get rid of. Also, the crotch is still really weird. Look up pictures of fat people in pants to see what it would look like. As far as the shirt colour, yeah, I like it a bit brighter like that.

At 3 hours ago, DEADxLORD wrote: I feel like I am letting people down but I am going to have to back out for personal reasons a lot of stuff has come up that I need to do, sort out or be there for and its going to limit my time I can work on this project. I think because of this the standard of my work will not be adequate for the collab. So can you please open up my emotion again.

That's too bad, I liked where you were headed. Ah well, thanks for participating!

At 16 hours ago, Hoboweasel wrote: I'll just have to take the former as a compliment. The background will be done later; I've got some stuff to do...

Looks cool so far, but I feel I should remind you of the size limit on the pic - 500 x 500 pixels. What you have now doesn't seem like it will fit in a square shape easily, so you might wanna keep that in mind. Besides that, I like what you have though! Cool shading.

Hey everyone, emoticon number 22 is now open! First come, first serve.
Also, 10 of you have finished already! Great job :D

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-08 22:40:25

At 3 hours ago, Spaghetti14 wrote: Look up pictures of fat people in pants

That, my friend, is quite a unique homework prompt.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-08 23:55:23

Alright, given the size limitations and the apparent lack of emphasis on the respective emoticon, I'm going to draw up something different; expect something strange (e.g. this).

aasdfasdfasdfasdfasfasdfasfasdfasdf asdfasdf

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-09 00:12:52

At 1 hour ago, DweebyHawkeyes wrote:
At 3 hours ago, Spaghetti14 wrote: Look up pictures of fat people in pants
That, my friend, is quite a unique homework prompt.

I have no idea how use Sai, and paint dot net wants me to download everything but the program I was dubious. So right now, I'm stuck with GIMP. WIP progress so far looked at fat people. Saw the pudge roll I was looking for. I was not that far off. Adjusted that. Tried to hide the crotch, looking at said fat people pics the moose knuckle I had before was kinda accurate but none the less scary. Type in "wall martians" sometime. Anywhoo, the pixelated shirt lines vex me. So still got some things to clear up, I hope the I'm not pestering you with the WIPs, but you guy's input helps me out a lot and I would like to think it shows.

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-09 01:37:03

Whatever the hell this is, I'm pretty sure it's expressive enough.

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-09 05:00:49

Not got much to show you guys at the moment, college work is being an arse and taking all of my time. I thought it was best to at least show a thumbnail of what I've already got. Past this there isn't much done at all, but don't worry it shall be done by the deadline :), easily. Anyway, what we have here is as follows:

Basically what I have gone for is a punk guy with :/ face. Not to sure about the mouth or eye that I have currently got, these may and up being changed.

like I said i"m basically just proving that i'll still in with this.

The Emoticon Collab!

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-09 07:41:50

Sorry for the double post but I have managed to get a lot more done. It is still a WIP and needs a lot more doing to it but it's getting there. I'm still not happy with the mouth and I think that it could be changed to make look more like the emoticon in question. Anyway here we go:

The Emoticon Collab!

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-09 14:31:51

At 6 hours ago, Decky wrote: Sorry for the double post but I have managed to get a lot more done. It is still a WIP and needs a lot more doing to it but it's getting there. I'm still not happy with the mouth and I think that it could be changed to make look more like the emoticon in question. Anyway here we go:

Definitely change that face stat. Right now, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the emote.

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-09 18:11:39

At 3 hours ago, test-object wrote:
At 6 hours ago, Decky wrote:

:: Anyway here we go:

Definitely change that face stat. Right now, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the emote.

Yeah, that's the next thing that I'm working on. After that just a background (which will tie into the emoticon more) and I have already finished the hair. Unfortunatly I most likely won't be able to get anymore done for the next couple of days, probably not until monday.

It's coming along though. I'm quite happy with this piece so far.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-10 12:53:33

Work in progress. I sketched it out. It's a drawing of the emote of my tablet and I used Sharpie instead of my stylus. I'm going to do a digital version next...

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-11 22:06:30

At 11 hours ago, MajesticBob wrote: I have no idea how use Sai, and paint dot net wants me to download everything but the program I was dubious. So right now, I'm stuck with GIMP. WIP progress so far looked at fat people. Saw the pudge roll I was looking for. I was not that far off. Adjusted that. Tried to hide the crotch, looking at said fat people pics the moose knuckle I had before was kinda accurate but none the less scary. Type in "wall martians" sometime.

Well, being stuck with GIMP is getting you poor results, to be honest. The fat stomach flap is still going to be a lot bigger, but it's better than it was. Also, it's not like there's going to be no crotch at all. The moose knuckle would be less creepy if you just hinted at it, and added more detail overall so it didn't pop out in comparison to the rest of the pic.

Anywhoo, the pixelated shirt lines vex me. So still got some things to clear up, I hope the I'm not pestering you with the WIPs, but you guy's input helps me out a lot and I would like to think it shows.

In addition to the shirt, the pants, neck, and arms especially are pixelated. Bob, I'mma be honest, this needs a lot o' work before I want to accept it, and I'll let you continue to try to get there, but it just.. It's kind of lacking right now. Sorry.

At 2 days ago, Hoboweasel wrote: Whatever the hell this is, I'm pretty sure it's expressive enough.

Is this your final image, or a WIP? Either way, it looks cool, but its a lil blurry/hard to see. Can you do anything about that, or is it intended?

At 2 days ago, Decky wrote: Sorry for the double post but I have managed to get a lot more done. It is still a WIP and needs a lot more doing to it but it's getting there. I'm still not happy with the mouth and I think that it could be changed to make look more like the emoticon in question. Anyway here we go:

To be honest, I don't really see any relevance between your emoticon and this picture. I'd advise you to scrap it and pick something more relevant. You are capable of making something that would meet the standard, but this just doesn't really make any sense.

At 1 day ago, CrazyRock wrote: I'll take 1.

No, you'll not.

lrn2readthreadsplz.
At 1 day ago, BlackMist75 wrote: Work in progress. I sketched it out. It's a drawing of the emote of my tablet and I used Sharpie instead of my stylus. I'm going to do a digital version next...

I find this kind of boring, sorry. Maybe it's because it's just your sketch, but the drawing is boring/empty, and the emoticon isn't really creatively interpreted, it's just smacked right into the middle of the frame, I'd prefer something more original. Even if this did turn out being beautifully crafted, Floppidix the Angry Robot would probably end up attacking it.

Emoticon numero 22 is still open, everyone.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-12 08:17:25

At 10 hours ago, Spaghetti14 wrote:
At 2 days ago, Decky wrote: Sorry for the double post but I have managed to get a lot more done. It is still a WIP and needs a lot more doing to it but it's getting there. I'm still not happy with the mouth and I think that it could be changed to make look more like the emoticon in question. Anyway here we go:
To be honest, I don't really see any relevance between your emoticon and this picture. I'd advise you to scrap it and pick something more relevant. You are capable of making something that would meet the standard, but this just doesn't really make any sense.

Don't worry it'll make sense when it is complete :). I'm not going to scrap the piece there will simply just have to be some work done on it :).

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-12 08:50:50

Once again sorry for the double post but I've changed the mouth (I know that it still needs work) and I've added the emoticon to the background so that it is more apparent what one I'm doing haha. Still a lot to do but here we go:

P.S. I also inverted it because I think it looks better facing that way, thoughts?

The Emoticon Collab!

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-12 14:20:05

If no one jumps on my old number please may I have it again, The shit I thought I had to do did not last as long as I think. I understand if you pass on me since I had a chance all ready but yes I would like to go back to this project.

World Keeps On Turning.

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-12 14:38:41

At 9 minutes ago, DEADxLORD wrote: If no one jumps on my old number please may I have it again...

I don't know why you gave it up in the first place... it's not like there's a rush. You have until May 1st! That's like a month and a half! Six weeks. Long time. Moshie Moshie!

So yeah, mine's not done, but it's pretty lame... blah.

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-12 14:54:27

At 15 minutes ago, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 9 minutes ago, DEADxLORD wrote: If no one jumps on my old number please may I have it again...
I don't know why you gave it up in the first place... it's not like there's a rush. You have until May 1st! That's like a month and a half! Six weeks. Long time. Moshie Moshie!

So yeah, mine's not done, but it's pretty lame... blah.

I know it was one of them decisions that I felt like I had to make at the time because of many reasons and I felt like if I did not make the decision if it came closer to the date and I still had not finished it would have let the whole group down which would have been the worst situation. anyways love your art, the background is very good and contrasts the foreground (the figure) bringing the angel even more forward and you can not help but have your heart turned by the cuteness.

On a side note I love your first piece hobo although your second one is more about your emote. Still love your first one more.

World Keeps On Turning.

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-12 21:17:58

At 6 hours ago, ReNaeNae wrote: So yeah, mine's not done, but it's pretty lame... blah.

Looks great to me!
Nothing like what i'm used to seeing from you; but it really does look great for what it is. I'd rather you direct your efforts at drawing another one/something than redraw this one

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-12 22:08:58

At 22 hours ago, Spaghetti14 wrote:
At 2 days ago, Hoboweasel wrote: Whatever the hell this is, I'm pretty sure it's expressive enough.
Is this your final image, or a WIP? Either way, it looks cool, but its a lil blurry/hard to see. Can you do anything about that, or is it intended?

I'm actually working on the general character of the piece; that picture was taken with an iPhone and then compressed to 500 pixels by 500 pixels. Here's what I have now...

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-12 23:43:00

Just a WIP. I still have a few things to add, but, yeah.

The Emoticon Collab!

From the darkest of caves...

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-13 00:03:48

If this is alright I'm going to edit the shirt some more and maybe put some zig-zag trees in the background.

The Emoticon Collab!

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-13 03:55:18

At 2 weeks ago, Flowers10 wrote: just finished myne :D

Pure art work. It's puuurrfect.

Myspace

Website Coming SoonPurevolume

<BR>Perfection Confection Sugar, you can use it on babies.

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-13 05:12:52

SO. The big news of this post is... I'm allowing people who have already submitted an approved piece to sign up for a 2nd emoticon, assuming that that emoticon is free. Some of you already thought this, so I guess it's not that big of news, but just in case!
That being said, here are my replies to the last batch of posts.

At 19 hours ago, Decky wrote: Once again sorry for the double post but I've changed the mouth (I know that it still needs work) and I've added the emoticon to the background so that it is more apparent what one I'm doing haha. Still a lot to do but here we go:
P.S. I also inverted it because I think it looks better facing that way, thoughts?

I think that your idea is still kind of haphazard. The dude with the blue hair and tattoo doesn't seem relevant to anything, and you just tried to fix it by posting a large blurry version of the emoticon behind it. I don't like where it has gone, and the guy is alright as its own picture, but I don't see how it relates to this collab. I'll give you one more chance to make a new idea, but step up yo' game, man. You have a long time to think of a clever idea and execute it well/carefully.

At 14 hours ago, DEADxLORD wrote: If no one jumps on my old number please may I have it again, The shit I thought I had to do did not last as long as I think. I understand if you pass on me since I had a chance all ready but yes I would like to go back to this project.

Yep, you're signed back up for it! Don't disappoint :3

At 13 hours ago, ReNaeNae wrote: So yeah, mine's not done, but it's pretty lame... blah.

If it's not even done yet, I'm really excited to see how good it will look in the end!

At 4 hours ago, PersonUnknown wrote: Just a WIP. I still have a few things to add, but, yeah.

Sorry, no. I know it's just a WIP, but you aren't skilled enough yet for this collaboration. Even looking at your profile/posts, you advocate your poor skill, so you should work on that for next time.

At 4 hours ago, Hoboweasel wrote: If this is alright I'm going to edit the shirt some more and maybe put some zig-zag trees in the background.

I love it so far! Eager for the end :3

So at the moment, 18 is up for grabs.

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-13 06:29:27

I guess its time for a WIP again I want harsh and productive comments. There is a lot I want to change on this piece still like the eyes, the patten on the mask does not look right and the background is just a test but I seem to like the concept. This whole art work has been an experiment for me from start to finish so just wondering what you guys think so far.

Again WIP

The Emoticon Collab!

World Keeps On Turning.

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-13 08:46:18

At 3 hours ago, Spaghetti14 wrote:
At 19 hours ago, Decky wrote: Thoughts?
I don't like where it has gone, and the guy is alright as its own picture, but I don't see how it relates to this collab.

Well that's kinda shit but I'll try and make something else :(.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-13 10:37:47

At 5 hours ago, Spaghetti14 wrote: SO. The big news of this post is... I'm allowing people who have already submitted an approved piece to sign up for a 2nd emoticon, assuming that that emoticon is free. Some of you already thought this, so I guess it's not that big of news, but just in case!

That sounds cool. I'd like to do another, but I'd rather work on the one I already have... If I finish early, maybe I can do one more.

If no one jumps on my old number please may I have it again, The shit I thought I had to do did not last as long as I think. I understand if you pass on me since I had a chance all ready but yes I would like to go back to this project.
Yep, you're signed back up for it! Don't disappoint :3

I heard from this guy in a PM and he seems really passionate about his work; I'm glad you gave him another chance.

At 4 hours ago, PersonUnknown wrote: Just a WIP. I still have a few things to add, but, yeah.
Sorry, no. I know it's just a WIP, but you aren't skilled enough yet for this collaboration. Even looking at your profile/posts, you advocate your poor skill, so you should work on that for next time.

Wow, that's pretty harsh... I guess that's why you're the collab coordinator, though.

At 4 hours ago, Hoboweasel wrote: If this is alright I'm going to edit the shirt some more and maybe put some zig-zag trees in the background.

Thanks. Traditional media is a bit hard when you're running low on supplies (i.e. paper). I had to use a piece of journal coffee paper (curse those annoying little intrusive coffee mug designs in the corner).

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-13 10:46:57

At 8 minutes ago, Hoboweasel wrote: Thanks. Traditional media is a bit hard when you're running low on supplies (i.e. paper). I had to use a piece of journal coffee paper (curse those annoying little intrusive coffee mug designs in the corner).

I personally think it adds to the picture in a strange notebook/sketch book kind of way...

BBS Signature

Response to The Emoticon Collab! 2012-03-13 14:13:54

At 6 hours ago, Larkatosa wrote:
At 2 hours ago, Spaghetti14 wrote: So at the moment, 18 is up for grabs.
So umm ... could I take it?

Yup.

At 5 hours ago, Decky wrote: Well that's kinda shit but I'll try and make something else :(.

I'm sorry for seeming harsh about it, I just didn't see how this drawing is pertinent...

At 3 hours ago, Hoboweasel wrote:
Wow, that's pretty harsh... I guess that's why you're the collab coordinator, though.

It's really difficult to me, because some people have been like you, saying "you're being too harsh, you need to realise that everyone is at a different level", and others are like "stop beating around the bush and just be more strict/upfront about things. the way you're going about it isn't helping anyone out." I feel like a dick when I do stuff like that, but I'm trying to find a balance of loving collab organiser and judging collab organiser, and I'm having a bit of trouble with it... Sorry if that rejection seemed too mean, I'll try to be a bit more careful next time, I suppose.

Thanks. Traditional media is a bit hard when you're running low on supplies (i.e. paper). I had to use a piece of journal coffee paper (curse those annoying little intrusive coffee mug designs in the corner).

I actually like the texture of the paper a lot. I was wondering what that coffee thing in the corner was too, lol.

Being a collab organiser fills me with heartbreak, you guise...