00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

DashXero just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

18,349 Views | 106 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-03-28 15:04:39

At 3/25/12 07:05 PM, BizarroJoe wrote: I'm digging the way it's coming out really much!

Well its done now, as per the link in the post, im still not 100% keen on it but it will do...

I'd suggest that you make the lips stick out a bit more. Also, she looks she went a little overboard with the lipstick!

indeed... that was still the rough block colors, i have refined it a bit now...

I love the floating red hair <3

indeed, its very nice :D

Here is the REFERENCE i used... there is no way i could have done water effects without one

i know its not perfect... but i might make a few tweaks here and there...

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-03-28 17:17:32

At 3/28/12 03:04 PM, LegolaSS wrote: Here is the REFERENCE i used... there is no way i could have done water effects without one

I think more important than showing the picture you referenced is giving credit to Elena Kalis, who took the photo in the first place.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-03-28 19:51:13

At 3/28/12 05:17 PM, Aigis wrote: I think more important than showing the picture you referenced is giving credit to Elena Kalis, who took the photo in the first place.

Indeed... she does some fantastic underwater photography... check out more of her stuff HERE

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-05-12 17:35:03

Urge to do art is there... but i havent got the focus at the moment to do anything worth while... im stuck trying to have polished pictures... i need to do something before i throw in the towel...

too much choice of stuff to do... not enough focus in one...

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-05-12 19:10:16

At 5/12/12 05:35 PM, LegolaSS wrote: Urge to do art is there... but i havent got the focus at the moment to do anything worth while... im stuck trying to have polished pictures... i need to do something before i throw in the towel...

too much choice of stuff to do... not enough focus in one...

I would if I were you cut back on trying to refine so much, it seems like you already grasp how to effectively use color and gradients to make form, your problem lies in that you dont really understand the form very well underneath what you are painting and it shows. With a little anatomy practice and planning ahead before you do your painting you can eliminate this problem. It seems like you are taking this one and eyeballing everything, this is going to result in broken proportions and even though your rendering and forms are good its pointless if her eyeball looks like its trying to run away from her face.
Another thing to consider is are you relying too much on painting from reference, how much of the human figure do you actually know? Can you paint from imagination effectively? If not more study on the structure of your subject matter instead of color and value could help again.

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-05-13 14:18:06

Looking good. The structure seems fine to me, but you might want to soften the transition between the lower lip and the chin below- at the moment there's this really strong contrast between the two that doesn't seem very natural.

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-05-14 18:38:23

All comments noted and taken on board... thank you.

time to spam some doodles out...

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-07-01 18:53:04

Time to hit the artwork hard i think... haven't been keen to do it for a while and now its so rusted that nothing moves anymore... time focus on getting quality down on the paper and improving.

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-07-01 19:02:11

i really like the water drawing.

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-07-01 20:26:38

At 7/1/12 07:02 PM, PMMurphy wrote: i really like the water drawing.

i like them all! i've always thought your work was impressive.

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.

My art thread

My comic thread

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-07-02 13:58:38

Wow that underwater visual is sick. this is hot stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-07-04 17:28:53

Something im working on... any helpful pointers would be much appreciated.

also i think i need to work on a bigger canvas size as this "pixel" effect keeps happening... or is that because im just print screening my work?

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-07-10 14:03:55

hip hip hooray! its robot day

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-07-10 20:36:15

What canvas size are you working with? What filetypes are you using? If those seem okay it's probably the screenshotting, but I won't know until you tell me.

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-07-12 05:23:15

At 7/4/12 05:28 PM, LegolaSS wrote: Something im working on... any helpful pointers would be much appreciated.

also i think i need to work on a bigger canvas size as this "pixel" effect keeps happening... or is that because im just print screening my work?

that might have to do with your zoom; unless you are at 12,5/25/50/100 etc % photoshops zoom is slightly distorted, so if you screenshot that you'll get the pixely effect. If you resize the thing before you screenshot or if you just export it you should be fine.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-07-12 08:30:49

At 7/12/12 05:23 AM, J-qb wrote: that might have to do with your zoom; unless you are at 12,5/25/50/100 etc % photoshops zoom is slightly distorted, so if you screenshot that you'll get the pixely effect. If you resize the thing before you screenshot or if you just export it you should be fine.

ah, it might be that, when i am working i have a scrolly circle on my tablet that lets me zoom in and out, i will have a go at doing that later today! thanks for the help :D

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-12-03 19:31:56

yeah i think its because im not viewing the images at 100% when i print screen them.

anyway, its been a long time. i did a doodle and colored it in a bit.

needs more hair and refining, but i think its a good start.

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-12-04 00:57:15

At 12/3/12 07:31 PM, LegolaSS wrote: anyway, its been a long time. i did a doodle and colored it in a bit.

Been far too long, I missed you :C

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-12-04 13:43:52

At 3/25/12 04:46 AM, LegolaSS wrote: here is a little something im working on for the Friday flood... Go join up if you haven't already!

Really badass painting style you got there !! the water effects blew my mind!

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-12-17 17:13:02

At 12/4/12 01:43 PM, wash wrote: Really badass painting style you got there !! the water effects blew my mind!

It seems everyone likes the water effects, i still need to work on getting the construction right.

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-12-18 09:46:51

At 12/17/12 05:13 PM, LegolaSS wrote:
At 12/4/12 01:43 PM, wash wrote: Really badass painting style you got there !! the water effects blew my mind!
It seems everyone likes the water effects, i still need to work on getting the construction right.

Moar art please!!

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2012-12-26 18:08:31

At 12/18/12 09:46 AM, Flowers10 wrote: Moar art please!!

will try and get more stuff posted :D

like i said, i do a lot of messing around and no finished product... hopefully i we get some finished pictures instead of doodles that i half finish and delete :D... for example this one

purple is awesome <3

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2013-01-19 17:25:01

not sure what to do with the background... also comments and crit highly welcome

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2013-01-26 05:57:27

At 1/20/13 03:00 AM, bigCman321 wrote: Stuff

thanks for your input... here is the "finished" version... i rather liked the warmth from the orange

so heres another splurge of colour, messing with tones and highlights, blocked in the tones and rough hair for direction and tones... not sure if i want to carry on with it.

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2013-02-04 05:46:19

so, still working with tones, still following on from comments made in this thread, adding greys/yellows/oranges/reds into my very dominate brown colour scheme (mainly because my miniature painting is based on browns mostly)

Here is the big version if you want to see all the imperfections

this was referenced from a screen shot i took from a music video which you can find here

so yeah, its still rough and needs refining, just trying to get the tones right, the proportions right.

i think the lips "stick out" of the picture too much, her eyes are too big (or possible the pupils) but... it stares at me O_O

IT STARES INTO YOUR SOUL!

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2013-02-05 19:03:32

NEWGROUNDS USER PICTURE TIME

this started with some pritty dull ugly/dull colors... added a hint of yellow/orange/red

i think around 2 and a bit hours on this...

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2013-02-06 16:51:22

im getting slower... making more mistakes... ughhhh... must keep trying...

one day....

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2013-02-07 20:01:03

SO MUCH WRONG, SO LITTLE TIME

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2013-02-11 18:54:15

tick tock....

LegolaSS's Sketchpad

BBS Signature

Response to LegolaSS's Sketchpad 2013-02-11 19:17:43

Ooh someone's certainly improving

I'm not banned, this is just where I'm vulgar.

BBS Signature