00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art vouching?

3,065 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Art vouching? 2012-02-18 20:58:45

Hello. I submitted some pixel art on my profile and since I have absolutely no idea how to link pictures here (Since I am a noob).

I was wondering if people could see my page and say what they think. I didn't know what to put as the title either so I just put art vouching. Thinking someone will probably like and vouch for it.

Anyway I hope you all like what I submitted so far.

Response to Art vouching? 2012-02-18 23:25:28

At 2 hours ago, kaze10 wrote: Hello. I submitted some pixel art on my profile and since I have absolutely no idea how to link pictures here (Since I am a noob).

I was wondering if people could see my page and say what they think. I didn't know what to put as the title either so I just put art vouching. Thinking someone will probably like and vouch for it.

Anyway I hope you all like what I submitted so far.

Oh god, my eyes!

No, really dude, what you have at the moment isn't good.
Not being douchey here, but the only one that has any real chances are your Reframability. And thats kind of pushing it.
Tilation and the Tetris Reskin Have a ton of overly saturated colors that actually kind of hurt the eyes.
and Collapsation just goes no where and isn't appealing.

I don't normally go digging through peoples profile looking for art when they can't be bothered to post a link to it in the post, and this is exactly why.

Try uploading pieces that actually have form or some sort of actual direction.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art vouching? 2012-02-19 05:44:06

Well although you may not like it. And I have not got much to submit due to I only draw when I can. People over at the deviantart website like it. So honestly I think it's fine. But thanks for your motivational help.

Response to Art vouching? 2012-02-19 05:53:35

At 2 minutes ago, kaze10 wrote: Well although you may not like it. And I have not got much to submit due to I only draw when I can. People over at the deviantart website like it. So honestly I think it's fine. But thanks for your motivational help.

You specifically asked in the OP for what people thought, he told you what he thought and you just discarded it.
Do you realise this?
If you want my opinion, your works don't really have a context or meaning - "what is the purpose of them?". I don't see any presentational value in any of the pieces if they were to be viewed on the basis of standalone artwork.
If they were perhaps some sort of tile set of a game then sure, I would understand that, but as of right now they are meaningless - they do not convey any sort of idea or depict any sort of essential viewing.

BBS Signature

Response to Art vouching? 2012-02-19 11:43:18

Honest opinion? Anyone could make these in a few minutes in MSPaint. The colors clash and are harsh. Random patterns put together without much thought. This is like the comador64 of fractal art. You have a good imagination but not much focus. Even for abstract this is... lost. Also claiming people on dA like it, is really not saying much. This is not dA. dA is the giant refrigerator you can tack your picture to and Ol' aunt Gertrude will kiss you on the cheek say good job and give you a Llama cookie. NG people are for good or bad, a bit more blunt. Not because we are mean, but because we want to help. No one wants to see people fail here, so we are not going to blow smoke. I think you have potential. You just have practice and try and get away from harsh color clashes and pixel jargon. If you are happy with your art and you don't want to change or learn that's fine. But don't ask for opinions and then be dismissive, and don't expect to get very far here. I also agree Kinsei and Kouke. Good luck.

Response to Art vouching? 2012-02-19 13:20:38

At 1 hour ago, MajesticBob wrote: Honest opinion? Anyone could make these in a few minutes in MSPaint.

The biggest complaint with simplistic art is that anybody would be able to draw it.
Like, it's been happening forever.

Anybody could've made it, but you and everyone else didn't.

Cry about it.

Response to Art vouching? 2012-02-19 13:45:38

At 23 minutes ago, RadWalrus wrote:
At 1 hour ago, MajesticBob wrote: Honest opinion? Anyone could make these in a few minutes in MSPaint.
The biggest complaint with simplistic art is that anybody would be able to draw it.

Cry about it.

Really? 1 min.

Art vouching?

Response to Art vouching? 2012-02-19 13:51:40

Cry about it.
Really? 1 min.

You guys kinda need to chill out, no need to turn this guy's thread into a warzone.

BBS Signature

Response to Art vouching? 2012-02-19 13:55:36

At 1 minute ago, MajesticBob wrote:

Cry about it.
Really? 1 min.

That looks cool, though.
Even if you made it in one minute, That still says something about the way you were feeling when you made it.
You can critique drawing and draughtsmanship skills, because a realistic style is closer to what everyone actually sees,
but I dunno which rulebook on abstract art you guys are following.

Response to Art vouching? 2012-02-19 13:57:06

At 1 minute ago, GMoose14 wrote:
Cry about it.
Really? 1 min.
You guys kinda need to chill out, no need to turn this guy's thread into a warzone.

Your right. I got a little defensive. But my point still stands. I'm not knocking the OP, as I said they have potential. Just needs more concept. But you are right, this need not be a warzone.

Response to Art vouching? 2012-02-19 14:06:14

At 49 seconds ago, RadWalrus wrote:
At 1 minute ago, MajesticBob wrote:

Cry about it.
Really? 1 min.
That looks cool, though.
Even if you made it in one minute, That still says something about the way you were feeling when you made it.
You can critique drawing and draughtsmanship skills, because a realistic style is closer to what everyone actually sees,

I see what your saying. But I put no thought into it. Anyone *could* do the same. Computers kinda took the fun and skill out of abstract. Digitally it's way to easy to splash some color and call it art. You will never see this or any MSPaint "abstract" in a gallery. And to crit my own, It's garish and unpleasing to the eye. It may have a neat factor to it, but it's nothing more than a digital doodle. Doodles do have there place and can look pretty cool at times. I'm getting a little off topic. So I will end with this: OP practice and think your pieces out a little more, and please post more. You might get crits you don't like, but we are here to help. @Rad you have some valid points, but the OP came looking for Crits and he got them,

Response to Art vouching? 2012-02-19 18:55:56

At 4 hours ago, RadWalrus wrote:
At 1 minute ago, MajesticBob wrote: Really? 1 min.
That looks cool, though.

I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous.
You're defending Bob's self-confessed MSPaint vomit as some form of abstract art.
Your brain is so open-minded that common sense and good taste have vacated the premises.

BBS Signature