00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cosoden just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread

260,307 Views | 3,445 Replies

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-15 21:54:28

At 5/15/12 08:03 PM, Teqneek wrote:
Senator, this 10 track thing is just a minimum, right?

Yea man of course! The more the merrier

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-15 22:06:37

At 5/15/12 05:49 PM, SenatorJohnDean wrote: 1. Usin xtra compression on your parts and not the whole track, bullshit. This ain't a production battle.

In the past years, it has been decided that mixing is a big part of the battle as well. This isn't a freestyle battle, this is an over-the-net recorded written battle. Mixing and production quality along with microphone quality is always going to be an issue with the voters, so why wouldn't he try to make his verses sound good? However, I'm not 100% sure if you meant he used extra compression after each of his verses, or for each of his verses after the battle was done. If the latter, then he should be disqualified, sorry Gasmasq. I was told by Red that I'm not aloud to touch my first verse while I'm working on my 2nd verse, nor am I aloud to touch any of the rest of the track. Rules are rules.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-15 22:16:47

At 5/15/12 10:06 PM, ThisIsAnEmergency wrote:
I'm not 100% sure if you meant he used extra compression after each of his verses, or for each of his verses after the battle was done. If the latter, then he should be disqualified, sorry Gasmasq. I was told by Red that I'm not aloud to touch my first verse while I'm working on my 2nd verse, nor am I aloud to touch any of the rest of the track. Rules are rules.

But it's Da Gasmasq dawg! Deadlines and rules don't apply to Da Gasmasq, cuz he dope!

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 00:54:27

At 5/15/12 10:06 PM, ThisIsAnEmergency wrote: However, I'm not 100% sure if you meant he used extra compression after each of his verses, or for each of his verses after the battle was done.

SJD is commenting on the mixing, Gas didn't edit his previous verses. I just got home and listened to the battle alongside the previous versions of it, as it stands I'm fine with it. I'm publishing it tomorrow morning.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 02:04:11

suddle... I'm calling you out to battle. We can ask Red to make it official if you want, or it can be a sideline battle. Your choice.

If you want to do battle, PM me and I'll send you the beat I'll be using. Once you reply, you can expect my verse in three days.

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 04:39:12

At 5/15/12 07:52 AM, Teqneek wrote: I'm all for calling it Swagtrap, but it's up to SJD.

Holy fucking shit PiG; I can't believe you made a song with Lil C. You're a special kind of troll.

YO AXTEKK- What's the count on the big collab track? 12 people signed on to it, and last I heard we had six verses in.

Still 6 dawg. EVERYONE HURRY YOUR SHIT UP.

Also: Fat Beats > PiG (no offence PiG) because Fat Beats is a dude. And also British. Wages are only used as a tiebreaker to discriminate between levels of douchebagness.

Best be knowin, MoonBurn be postin'.

Download my EP for free RIGHT NOW

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 07:03:34

At 5/15/12 10:06 PM, ThisIsAnEmergency wrote: an ok argument IF THIS WEREN'T TRUE

There is a huge, HUGE difference between mixing and using compression as an effect.

First, you will agree that louder voices sound better and more powerful, correct? Right. Now...

The second MC has the opportunity to use compression to make the other voices sound weaker/softer and his voice sound the strongest. This is what I'm accusing Gasmasq of doing with his second verse. This is not proper mixing, this is affecting vocals.

BigRed also FINALLY admitted that Gasmasq was late TWICE. Anybody can counter well if they have a fuckin month to do it. Reason I'm callin him out on it is cuz 1. Goddamn right I want to win, so I'm using ALL aspects of this comp to battle, including the BBS (cuz hell, if the INTRO is important then so is the BBS) and 2. people need to know what this asshole does to make himself look good, which is turn in shit late, use compression as a sidechain effect, and break the STFU rule by fucking with the outro.

All else being equal, my lyrics match his and my flow is better. Taking into account he fucking cheated his entire way thru this round, this should be a no brainer. SJD for the advance.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 07:32:46

At 5/16/12 07:03 AM, SenatorJohnDean wrote: SJD for the advance.

You heard him guys.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 08:39:17

At 5/16/12 12:54 AM, BigRed wrote: SJD is commenting on the mixing, Gas didn't edit his previous verses. I just got home and listened to the battle alongside the previous versions of it, as it stands I'm fine with it. I'm publishing it tomorrow morning.

Ok then that's fair, what about the deadline thing though?

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 08:52:30

At 5/16/12 07:03 AM, SenatorJohnDean wrote: There is a huge, HUGE difference between mixing and using compression as an effect.

A difference I'm afraid I can't see.

First, you will agree that louder voices sound better and more powerful, correct? Right. Now...

I suppose? I never really thought about it.

The second MC has the opportunity to use compression to make the other voices sound weaker/softer and his voice sound the strongest. This is what I'm accusing Gasmasq of doing with his second verse. This is not proper mixing, this is affecting vocals.

Red claims that he used it on his vocals alone. So I'm sorry if I don't see the problem.

BigRed also FINALLY admitted that Gasmasq was late TWICE.

Was this through PM? I didn't see it here on the forums. If this is true, then you should really take that up with Big Red and see what he says.

and break the STFU rule by fucking with the outro.

That's quite upsetting cause his last outro was the best of the competition and he didn't once talk shit in it.

Taking into account he fucking cheated his entire way thru this round, this should be a no brainer. SJD for the advance.

All these are right now are accusations of cheating with no proof, timestamps, or anything. Collect all the data you can with the private messages sent to you and the timestamps on them, and send this to Big Red and find out why Gasmasq was given more time to do it or why Big Red hasn't mentioned anything to Gasmasq about it. This seems like a problem for private messages. Once you have 100% proof that Gasmasq did indeed cheat, and if Big Red lets it slip, that's when its time to go public with it.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 09:01:44

Yeah, I don't know what to think about all the time deadline stuff. I do think it's weird how Red removed all the deadlines from the Clabtrap news post. That seems like important info that everyone would like to see. Plus it would have ended any debate about Gas taking too much time.

Whatever happens, I want to hear this battle, and I hope it's a good one.

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 09:11:37

Shit. I meant to include this thought in my last post, but as far as the compression on the vocals: I see no problem with trying to make your shit sound as good as possible. If you're too loud or too quiet, people will call you out on it.

The outro thing- if he's talking shit on his outro I think that's against the rules. If he isn't, then there's no rule against it. And even if his outro is against the rules, it's a guideline that many people have broken in this competition already, and nobody seems to have a problem with it.

So basically, if Gas made his lyrics too loud, then he'll be called out on it. He can adjust his sound levels (before submitting it) and compress to his liking, and I really see no problem with that. Anybody is allowed to do that.

That only leaves the deadline issue up for debate in my book. I don't know how late he's been or what the circumstances are, but if he's just being lazy then Red shouldn't keep letting it slide.

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 09:31:45

At 5/16/12 08:52 AM, ThisIsAnEmergency wrote: stuff

Dude, I get ur trying to be objective, but you don't know the half.

First of all, BigRed already admitted Gas was late and he said he was gonna note it somewhere so the voters know about it. So there's your 100% proof on that, Mr. Lawyer. However, I didn't know he was gonna give Gas a fuckin month to respond. If that was the case, I'd take that long too and come out with some Eminem "Stan" classic shit for yo ass. Thing is I still matched his lyrics and bettered his flow while staying in deadline.

Second, if you agree with the compression issue and turn this into a production battle, then I'm pullin out all the stops. I'm going to implement every trick I know and make myself sound great. Then I'm gonna overcompress the whole track so it sounds like the other guy is rapping in a tunnel and I sound perfect. And it won't be against the rules according to you.

WTF timestamp? Just look at the waveform, which I did and pointed out to BigRed. He didn't agree, BUT...he didn't notice a difference in the second track I gave him either, which means that he (and you, most likely) don't have the ears of a pro audio engineer.

You don't hear compression and stuff. All you do is vote "Oh the 2nd guy sounded more intense. He wins." When it's a production trick that made him sound more intense, not MC ability. So you don't understand it. Fine. I get it, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

I've already seen that voters don't fuckin pay attention. That's why I gotta let this stuff be known.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 09:59:49

At 5/16/12 09:31 AM, SenatorJohnDean wrote: First of all, BigRed already admitted Gas was late and he said he was gonna note it somewhere so the voters know about it. So there's your 100% proof on that, Mr. Lawyer. However, I didn't know he was gonna give Gas a fuckin month to respond. If that was the case, I'd take that long too and come out with some Eminem "Stan" classic shit for yo ass. Thing is I still matched his lyrics and bettered his flow while staying in deadline.

I completely agree. This is how I felt for my battles in the earlier rounds. I noticed every other battle taking ten times as long and it just had me thinking how much better I could have done if I was given the extra time that they were.

Second, if you agree with the compression issue and turn this into a production battle, then I'm pullin out all the stops. I'm going to implement every trick I know and make myself sound great. Then I'm gonna overcompress the whole track so it sounds like the other guy is rapping in a tunnel and I sound perfect. And it won't be against the rules according to you.

As far as I know, Gasmasq only used compression on his vocals, so there isn't any problem there. If you're going to publicly call out Gasmasq, and then Big Red for not doing anything about it, screen capture the different waveforms and do what you gotta do so you'll have some proof for everybody to see.

WTF timestamp? Just look at the waveform.

I don't have the battle file, and I was talking about timestamp of PM's to support your accusation of Gasmasq taking a lot longer than the original 3 days.

You don't hear compression and stuff. All you do is vote "Oh the 2nd guy sounded more intense. He wins." When it's a production trick that made him sound more intense, not MC ability. So you don't understand it. Fine. I get it, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

I'll be able to hear the difference.

I've already seen that voters don't fuckin pay attention. That's why I gotta let this stuff be known.

That's completely fine and understandable, but you must understand you're making accusations about Gasmasq cheating, and in-turn calling Big Red and this whole competition fraud by saying he is allowing him to get away with it. If this is all true then you'll need the proof, or else people are just going to think you're trolling.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 10:10:57

At 5/16/12 09:59 AM, ThisIsAnEmergency wrote: GRRRRRRRRR

Definitely not trolling, cuz BigRed himself said that Gas was late. TWICE. As for all that waveform stuff, if Gas isn't gonna be disqualified because of the ALREADY ADMITTED LATENESS, then there's no use in doing all that extra work.

I've said my piece. The battle stands on its own from here on out.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 10:19:05

At 5/16/12 10:10 AM, SenatorJohnDean wrote: Definitely not trolling, because BigRed himself said that Gas was late, TWICE! As for all that waveform stuff, if Gas isn't gonna be disqualified because of the ALREADY ADMITTED LATENESS, then there's no use in doing all that extra work.

I've said my peace. The battle stands on its own from here on out.

Well I never once saw him say Gasmasq was late, not even once but I might have missed that. I don't check these forums everyday. There's no use in doing all the extra work of proving the accusations you have made? Then why originally even mention it?

Ok, it seems this is done. I better go now before Gasmasq comes in here and makes me cry like he did on Facebook that one time.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 12:23:52

At 5/16/12 09:01 AM, Teqneek wrote: I do think it's weird how Red removed all the deadlines from the Clabtrap news post.

None of them are removed. I posted a a front page post with only the tracks on it, just look at the older news posts. The 2nd one has everything on it.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 13:21:30

At 5/16/12 01:15 PM, KillBillvolume2 wrote: 1. The deadline. Yeah, it is a bit unfair, but people still want to see the battle. I don't think anybody needs to get DQed. I'd rather some bullshit happen and give the people a good show then DQ homeboy.

Then what exactly is the point of the deadline? If its not a rule that is to be followed then I don't see the need for it being there.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 13:36:40

At 5/16/12 01:21 PM, ThisIsAnEmergency wrote: Then what exactly is the point of the deadline? If its not a rule that is to be followed then I don't see the need for it being there.

Here's my problem with deadlines. I put them there because I want this tournament to finish in a finite period of time. People have different schedules in their lives and I'm very flexible about moving these things around because honestly it's not a huge deal. When people in previous rounds were DQ'd for being late I generally gave them a few extra days and they probably stopped responding to my messages, etc. it's not like they were *just about* to get their verse in, they probably weren't going to submit one. I have no intention of DQ'ing people over minor technicalities, like being a day late. MCs come here to battle, they battled, lets judge the battle.

Now, on the mixing part, people are allowed to mix their vocals as they see fit as long as they don't edit the other MCs parts and the other MC doesn't complain about what they've done. By listening to the track and responding without complaints you have essentially accepted the other opponents mixing. So Verse 1, 2, and 3 are fine and accepted. Now Senator has complained about the mixing of Gas's 4th verse. This isn't something I need to DQ over, this is something Gas and Senator can solve between themselves.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 14:26:40

Red, Bill, the huge deal about this deadline thing is the fact that someone else may get 3 days while the other may get 5 or a week or beyond. I'm sorry if you all don't see that as a "big deal" but it is. The fact that the person who set-up this whole competition doesn't see violating the deadlines as a big deal is actually kind of troubling to me.

I've never had a problem with the mixing either, Red, I've been neutral about it and I've just been here stating solid facts about it all. Mixing is mixing, if Gas didn't fuck with his 1st verse, or the Senator's verses, then his mixing here is clearly ok.

Keep in mind that I'm coming from a completely neutral point when I'm saying all of this. Everything I've said hasn't even been wrong either. This isn't an opinion of mine, this is just solid fact. When you say "3 days" and then give the 2nd person the advantage of even a couple days longer, that's a big deal. I can understand if someone sends his verse in a few hours late, but days? That's dumb.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 14:43:25

Yeah, I get that too. I've been thinking about just declaring when a verse is submitted late. So, in the track description if a verse was late I'll mark (late) and the judges can take that into consideration. Thoughts on that?

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 15:06:42

At 5/16/12 02:48 PM, Scuare wrote: some ol trippy shit about me

Scuare, don't tell me my motives. First off, go back and read. I admit everything. I tell you hell yea I want to win. However, ain't nuthin fuckin calculated to give me the fuckin "advantage." If anything, all the wannabe thug judges will call me a pussy for whinin like a bitch and vote AGAINST me.

Everything I wrote was because I fuckin felt like writin it because it was true to me. My competitive juices get goin and that's how I express myself. Call me a bitch, fuck you. I'll match anybody where it counts, songwriting ability. Beats, rhymes, whatever. That's what we're here for, ain't it? Everything else is BS.

I'm a competitor. I compete. This is me in competition mode. Deal. If we meet up, I'm comin at you the same damn way.

Go back and read again. I also said, THIS TOPIC IS CLOSED FOR ME, let the battle speak for itself. I said what I had to say, nobody is gtn DQ'd, the battle's not close Gas contradicts himself like Mitt Romney in all his verses, and that's that.

It is good that the discussion got started tho, cuz a deadline is a deadline. You don't meet deadlines, you don't do well in competition. However, AGAIN, I have stated my point. Nobody's gtn DQ'd. So let the battle speak from here on out and quit callin me out when I've been nothing but honest in this whole thing.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 15:18:07

At 5/16/12 03:06 PM, SenatorJohnDean wrote:
At 5/16/12 02:48 PM, Scuare wrote: some ol trippy shit about me

Sorry for the dbl post, but Scuare got me heated.

Fuckin how is it to my advantage when I've been railing about the judges this whole time and callin BigRed a dipshit since this comp started? If anything I'm sabotaging myself. You'll see when the battle starts. I talk shit about the judges AGAIN. While Gas uses his outro time to break another NON-rule, apparently. Ain't no rules in this motherfucker. BigRed just said so. I would battle his ass too but he sucks eggs and already refused me over PM. Goddamn hippie. I hope you flunk out of school.

I feel like grudge battling you just cuz of that bullshit you just pulled.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 15:25:17

How about, in future rounds, for every day somebody is late, their opponent gets one or two automatic votes?

~Mike~

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 15:26:48

Red, I don't know of many judges that are gonna deduct points for a verse being late, but that's a start and should be the last-resort in any situation. We gotta keep the brainstorming going.

Scuare, I myself, can write a 16 in 2 hours too. Give me more time though, and I can reconstruct the original lines of that verse and throw in more mini-disses and multisyllabe rhymes with an overall better flow. As well as I have more time to record and get it all down and sound great with more time to mix as well. Some people will be told 3 days, then rush and rush and rush and try to cram everything in and screw it up, while the next person has a weak and chills out and gets the best recording session of his life. Either way you look at it, its just not fair.

Everybody isn't as gifted as you are, Scuare, we can't all sit for two hours and write a 16 that has perfect flow and plenty of multisyllables and nice punches, some people need a little more time. I mean, by your logic, Shaq's just as good a free throw shooter as Kobe Bryant, if you give him 20 chances and Kobe only gets 2...

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 15:27:59

At 5/16/12 03:25 PM, Wyze-Stingray wrote: How about, in future rounds, for every day somebody is late, their opponent gets one or two automatic votes?

Sorry for the double post, but I should have added more to this.

When I ran the RBC's a couple of years ago, I was dqing immediately with people being late. While this kept the pace going, there were a LOT of drop outs. I feel like there has to be a middle ground between mine and Red's extremes, hence the votes.

Maybe say for every day you're late your opponent gets a vote, and if you're 4 days late total (between the two verses) then you get a dq. I mean, if you can't record two 16's given 10 days, then why did you sign up?

~Mike~

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 15:31:02

At 5/16/12 03:18 PM, SenatorJohnDean wrote: While Gas uses his outro time to break another NON-rule, apparently. Ain't no rules in this motherfucker. BigRed just said so.

I'm not a judge and I don't vote on the battles. Sucking up to me won't help you win and talking shit to me won't bring you any closer to a loss. I intervene in extreme cases to disqualify people or deal with issues that prevent the battle from happening. The rest of the rules are applied when people vote. If you read through the votes on past battles people are in fact referencing the rules.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 15:35:36

At 5/16/12 03:32 PM, Scuare wrote: I guess i just feel like more time just makes my shit worse. Maybe its not like that for everyone.

Well you should've seen my first verse before I went back and revised it. I know you're thinking "How in the hell could it be much worse than it already was!?" But trust me, it was.

BBS Signature

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 15:49:42

At 5/16/12 03:35 PM, ThisIsAnEmergency wrote:
At 5/16/12 03:32 PM, Scuare wrote: I guess i just feel like more time just makes my shit worse. Maybe its not like that for everyone.
Well you should've seen my first verse before I went back and revised it. I know you're thinking "How in the hell could it be much worse than it already was!?" But trust me, it was.

I'll be honest, I did very little in the way of rewriting all competition. Although, that could also have been due to how busy I was.

~Mike~

Response to Clabtrap 2012 Discussion Thread 2012-05-16 17:31:45

At 5/16/12 03:29 PM, Scuare wrote: again tryna tell me what I am

Well, the first thing I learned about "promoting" or whatever you called it is if someone brings something up and it DOESN'T CHANGE, then there is definitely a reason to bring it up again. The reason is that it DIDN'T CHANGE.

That's the only way I've been able to get ppl to listen to my records, man, beating them over and over and over the head with it again and again and again. I think in everybody's Race to Be Mr. I Don't Give A Fuck Cool It's Whatever Guy you forget what it really is to have a viewpoint and be willing to stand up for it.

BBS Signature