00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ParallaxDraw just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff

52,697 Views | 246 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 15:36:53

This has probably been said before, but I miss being able to check how many votes I have and ESPECIALLY reviews via the project dashboard.

I understand public vote counts might encourage or discourage vote rigging (0 bombing) but what is the harm in letting the artist look at the counts? In the very least, the lack of the ability to check review counts without clicking the actual song is tedious as my views and score are displayed (Though an actual numerical value under or next to the stars would be nice as well.)

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 15:43:14

Found a small bug. I vote on art and it doesn't show me a notification. I've tried waiting a few seconds then voting, but it still doesn't show.

PLEASE FIX THIS. :(

Also, can't wait for the surprise this week! ^_^

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,

and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 15:55:35

Just a general update: PsychoGoldfish updated user pages today so clicking a medal goes to the game and the page that lists all your medals is now paginated so you don't have to load a million images on one page.

Putting medals to multiple pages is a good update but the amount of games in one page could be higher than 10. I for example have now 40 pages of medals and if I wanted to search for some specific game then it would be really frustrating. For me 50 games would be the best amount but because many people have a slow internet connection then 30 games per page would be a better option.

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 16:10:20

At 30 minutes ago, Xavon wrote: I understand public vote counts might encourage or discourage vote rigging (0 bombing) but what is the harm in letting the artist look at the counts?

just keep your cursor on the stars :O then you see it. its not a problem for me
i hope you see this reply, or that i didnt get you wrong

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 16:13:58

i love how it looks, but the site is now really slow for me
my computer is pretty old anyways but normally pages don't lag this bad
maybe my computer just sucks

NG looks better than ever though.

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 16:33:03

I leave for two years and now I have no clue what's going on. Being that this is my first post on the new redesign and I haven't read any of the changes, I'm going to hope for an edit option...

Edit: Fuck.

A suggestion, make a quick reply option under the latest post on the page like other forums have. I like that a lot more than having to click "Respond to Post".

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 17:19:03

You need to fix the music portal!!! Artists can no longer delete their tracks, nor will any changes be made public! This is a very poor and adverse effect of the new layout! for the love of god, fix this problem...

Her Evolution New Song! Check it out!

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 17:46:36

At 2 days ago, TomFulp wrote: Early next week you can expect us to unveil new content formatting, based on the discsussion in this thread.

Ok cool hope it all turnsout for some nice new stuff, and again thanks for a great new redsesign here

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 17:53:27

Q-Q I hate ittttttt

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 17:57:22

I wish the "View more from this artist" dropdown was still on song pages :\

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 18:13:48

I hate tankgirl's face on the right panel. She looks retarded. She looks like she literally has downs syndrome and someone slapped a cupcake out of her hand.

Please click here. You'd make my fiance` happy... Please?

I'm a voice actor, and I love what I do. I'm also a writer, and love that just as much.

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 18:42:10

At 7 hours ago, Momo-the-Monkey wrote: I noticed on the user page, under "Latest Shares" I see the image below. Kind of hard to read.

It's not just "Latest Shares" either. Most of the hover text is quite are to read since the bottom of the hover image fades out before the text ends.

Can you tell me what browser you're using? I've tried replicating the issue and even IE7 doesn't get that. Also, a link to the page where that happens. Looks like the css isn't sliding the image over like it should, or maybe the HTML is bad for that hover.

At any rate, if you could PM me the details I can look into it for you!

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 18:44:41

At 39 seconds ago, bob wrote:

Hey, while you're at it, can you press the button that gives us back our animated forum signatures?

Kthxbai. :3

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 19:00:20

At 13 minutes ago, ZJ wrote:
At 39 seconds ago, bob wrote:
Hey, while you're at it, can you press the button that gives us back our animated forum signatures?

Kthxbai. :3

I miss those .gif's. Also the 5 animations sign would be great I loose track when I vote on stuff.

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 19:14:11

Hey Tom,

I will be very happy to see any title/content items on the front page, and so will my husband. I'm a hardcore NG user and will be here regardless, but my husband is a casual gamer. So if he just sees a thumbnail and no title or description, I have noticed he will skip over it regardless of how good it might be. So I think you're losing a lot of casual folks like him without title and game/movie descriptions. Myself, I will be happy to see any descriptions too, just because the current format confuses me. I realize this may be because I'm used to the old format, but new/casual users like him I think are more important to draw in.

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 20:05:18

Also, I don't know if it's my computer, but the new post box doesn't allow me to copy and paste anything. Anyone else experiencing this?

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 21:03:50

There are a few things I've encountered.

1) Are we still getting the 5 votes per day when voting? And, will the 10 points be deposited once we cast our 5 votes?
--> Usually there's a notification of how many votes are left during the day.

2) When listening to tracks in the Audio Portal, the flash player always crashes when selecting and listening to a track.

That's all I've encountered.

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 21:53:14

At 10 hours ago, Eltro2kneo wrote:
At 32 minutes ago, k6ka wrote:
At 1 day ago, Eltro2kneo wrote: What Tom means by "one-vote-per-user", he means that once you vote on a submission, you don't have to vote on it again unless you change your opinion. If your voting power gets bigger, then it affects the score. That's all.
That's what I'm concerned about. I vote on the same submissions daily to get my experience points, and if the "One-vote-per-user" system comes on, I have to hunt down new submissions each day, which I dislike.
At least it prevents the users from rating down the same thing several times just so it can be hated. But then it gets harder to gain experience, so we need a new way to get experience if this happens (other than voting on UJ uploads).

I have to completely disagree with the needing a new way to gain experience part. One vote per user would stop people from 5ing their own crap every day, and make users who want to level up actually work for it. Under Judgement flashes don't get nearly the amount of views they used to get back in the day, and voting on UJ would be a guaranteed way to vote on something you've never voted on before. It seems like UJ views and reviews have been in decline for years, and this would be a great way to get those numbers back up.

Newgrounds is about community, and we need to support the little guys. When you upload somehting to youtube nobody sees it, but on NG you can get a thousand people, half of which will actually watch/play it.

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 22:24:35

I see... Since there's more than 400,000 submissions on Newgrounds, it beats the purpose of having a different method of getting experience.

So with the one-vote-per-user system will make the leveling and voting more realistic.

Discord: Eltro#4304

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 23:14:28

Oh god Tom, WHY? I can't stand the new Newgrounds! It was just so much better the way it was before!

Seriously love the Miestas zeitgeist....

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-18 23:57:28

Sorry, came off of work and I am super tired, but want to show my support, so Tom, here's the answeres you wanted

1. Sometimes, because it's repetitious. It looks like one of the many ads you have up, however the new style works better, as I wonder more what it is. It would be cool thought if you had a few squares at the bottom so that we can choose to keep a showcase still for the easily distracted and also cause sometimes I am not done looking at a pic to see what the heck it is (cause I just checked a text or something off of Newgrounds) and I want to take a better look. I am sure I am not the only one.

2)Yes, I checked out the genres menu for the games. However can I make a suggestion here as well? Check boxes so that you can look for games with more than one tag worth mentionning?:

3)No, but I deffinitely will in the future.

4) Checking more games (as the adventure game list never did change) and finally submitted some art. Oh and I find it way easier to access my stuff on here, so that's cool.

By the way, love the background art.

Keep the creative juices flowing... if you need some, I have apple and grape in the fridge!

Pens are by the phone in the office....

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-19 00:41:10

Hey Tom, I found a bug. If you go to Adult items, it says that it's A rated for sexy sexing stuff that has sex in it. But anything M rated and below says Suitable for all.

Can we get the rating descriptors put back? Is it M rated for excessive violence? Or for $$&%* Mother &$&*@ language? Or is it for sexxy sex? These are listed in the box (pictured error below) but if you have autoplay on, you never see that box.

And here's a pic of the box with the error:

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-19 02:43:07

"1) Do you find yourself ignoring the big content showcase box here on the front page? I've been told it doesn't make enough of a "call to action" and while looking pretty, people aren't being as enticed to click it as they should be."

If you're talking about that box above featured movies... yeah... it's actually very bright and no one that I know of around here that goes to this website pays any attention to it.

"Why did you involve us!?" -Watson

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-19 04:20:08

The feed (notifications) Button should also inform you about new posts in your subscribed topics from the forums.

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-19 04:21:56

I love the feed function. It's become the first thing I click everytime I check out Newgrounds.

XO

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-19 04:24:13

Another thing that just came to my mind is, it would be cool if you could pick more than one "profession", 'cause I'm both Animator and Game Developer, for example.

XO

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-19 06:38:48

I find that, while the new layout is better, visually, it came at the cost of functionality.

Perhaps it's geared more toward smartphone users now, but to me, the new way of navigating through the portal is, well, a lot more work.
Perhaps it will just take some getting used to, but I suspect that the new system will make it a lot harder for new artists to get exposure for their works.

One more suggestion would be to bring back an overview to the front page with the last 15 submissions or so.
Not the best new submissions, just the latest :p

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-19 09:50:52

At 2 days ago, TapeZgb wrote: yes, the classic portal was more exciting and original. i like the old layout better, this one is too flashy.

Boo hoo. Too bad. How about a nice didlo with your name on it shoved up your ass.

Looks like the NG Staffe is going to need some Raid.

Yes I think suicide is funny and I am sick of pretending its not.

eX(Wi/Ht? #45)

BBS Signature

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-19 10:48:20

Where's the flash portal link? I had to search it in google, and then favorite it. Though I click NG on my toolbar, and then end up going to favorites to see portal. I like to see front page, but my next step is always portal. To see what's new and what's ranking good.. Maybe I'm over looking the link? Any chance I could get a shout out for where it is?

Response to Redesign Status, Upcoming Stuff 2012-02-19 11:15:35

At 2 days ago, TomFulp wrote:
1) Do you find yourself ignoring the big content showcase box here on the front page? I've been told it doesn't make enough of a "call to action" and while looking pretty, people aren't being as enticed to click it as they should be.

I notice it, I cannot promise I am more likely to click on it, but it's one of the first things that catches my eye on the FP.
Overall, I like the layout of the FP. It doesn't feel cluttered or disorganized.

2) Have you explored the content genre browsing? I feel like this is a really powerful system that a lot of people are overlooking; some have even complained that we removed genres. Go to the games page and scan the categories in the left column. Click around and start exploring. The categories get really in-depth and you can sort by all sorts of criteria. Right now we default to sort by date, which was an attempt to put the spotlight on new submissions but may have been a mistake. Instead we should probably default to sorting by score but maybe set the range to "Year" instead of "All" so there's more movement in the space.

It's one of my favorite features of the redesign. I love being able to narrow it down. I've been able to find several older games I really enjoy, much easier. (I looked for tower defense games the other day and found all my favorites, super easy)

This also makes me wonder if the games front page should be different. Right now we showcase the latest games, popular games from this week, highest scoring games of the month, highest scoring of the year and highest scoring of all time. Popular games tend to just mirror the front page. Best games of all time feels pretty static (instead maybe it could have a random selection from the top 200). But instead of all of that, I'm wondering if we should return to something like the old site, where we have a per-genre showcase. For example, the first box under "Brand Spankin' New Games" could be "Best New Action Games" and list the latest four action games with scores greater than 3.3 (number is based on some personal observations but not set in stone). The showcase would continue with "Best New Adventure Games", etc. I'm thinking it would better highlight the genre categories and might give people more direct access to stuff they like.

I like the idea of having best of each genre. I think that will attract more first time NGers and keep them around.
As far as the time line, I am a big fan of making any of your displays "best of the month" rather than all time. I feel when we set anything to all time, we see the same games pretty much all the time.
I'm an older NG member,late 20s demographic, so I have a full time job, I get to play games on my weekends usually. Best of the month allows me to make sure I didn't miss anything from any genre.

3) Have you been making use of the feed button (the star next to logout) in the header? It lists new submissions by artists you have favorited, something that was only available via email in the past. We intend to merge all favorites into one list of people you follow, so that you can easily add them from their user page and not have to add them in the context of a piece of content. Our current system (where you favorite artists based on content categories) is really old and has some charm but it feels like overkill nowadays.

I don't check my NG e-mail often, so I feel it's a keeper feature.

4) Have you found yourself doing anything more or less as a result of the new layout?

To be honest, about the same, but to be honest ^2, I think that's a good thing. I'm comfortable with the redesign, it still feels like home, I'm still enjoying the site, I just appreciate all the extras.

Cheers to all the hard workers with alcohol fountains and servers falling on them and whatnot.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature