00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Refuce just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

''Speak no ill of the dead''

2,370 Views | 29 Replies

''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 19:11:25

I've always found it pretty ridiculous. If i think someone's an asshole i won't suddenly talk like he was a saint when he's dead.
I was at a dinner the other night and one of my nephews (he's 8 year old) was talking about how bad Hitler was for some reason. His grandma told him not to speak ill of the dead.

What do you think of that saying: ''Speak no ill of the dead''?

BBS Signature

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 19:12:29

It was probably coined by someone who believed that their ghost would come to haunt you if you did.

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 19:13:44

At A few seconds ago, benmitchell0036 wrote: It was probably coined by someone who believed that their ghost would come to haunt you if you did.

That's most likely the case, because people way back when were very superstitious.

Bringing back old shit.

BBS Signature

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 19:14:41

At A few seconds ago, benmitchell0036 wrote: It was probably coined by someone who believed that their ghost would come to haunt you if you did.

Naaaaaah-

Prolly just religious undertones and the sociologically imbued code of honor. Basically, grandma thinks you'll never by halcyon or bad fortune will fall upon you unless you respect erryone - under the earth, burnt, dead, whatever.

Mental Music for Thinkers and Doers

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 19:16:00

At 1 minute ago, benmitchell0036 wrote: It was probably coined by someone who believed that their ghost would come to haunt you if you did.

It was also probably coined because people feared divine retribution or something like that

EGB || Sig by EmmaVolt

BBS Signature

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 19:43:27

Well, I guess it depends on what kind of person they were. If the person was generally hated in real life, like Osama bin Laden or something, then you can probably make fun of them. In terms of anything else, it probably depends on how popular the person ever was. Michael Jackson got really popular when he died, even though tons of people made fun of him while he was alive. If they died a violent death, I'm thinking you could add like ten years or something. If it's a natural death, maybe two years.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 19:56:00

That guy was such a twat. Good riddance.

gorp

BBS Signature

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 19:59:09

I believe it is bull. I can respect most people in the world as human beings but if I didnt truely respectv a person when they were alive there's no reason to respect them for dying. Anyone can die.

"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool."-FurryFox

This is a temporary account. see JBK

Groups: Gay/Bi Users, Last.fmClub

BBS Signature

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 20:01:52

I only talk bad abo

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 20:01:56

Speak of them for what they were in life, their legacy is created solely by them, and they must live (and die) with them.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 20:03:49

At A few seconds ago, Ihatedapatriots wrote: I only talk bad abo

ut dead people if they did truly awful things during their life.

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 20:03:51

I think its a bit silly. We learn and talk about bad dead people in history class.

HEY BOO!!!

BBS Signature

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 20:04:24

I think it should be followed unless he's the scum of society like Bin Laden or Sandusky or that one chick in misouri who killed someone for the hell of it. Just because someone disagree with someone else who doesn't fit into "scum of society" personally doesn't make it right for them to bash them when they die. Of course after a while maybe about a couple months you can go back to bashing him and not feel bad about it.

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 20:06:02

At 19 seconds ago, Xenomit wrote:
At A few seconds ago, Ihatedapatriots wrote: I only talk bad abo
Cool story bro

LOL smartass. I accidentally hit post. Of course I CAN'T GO BACK AND EDIT!

THAT WOULD BE CERAZY!!!!!

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 20:11:26

Michael Jackson is a pedophile.

"Censorship is telling a man that he cannot have a steak just because a baby cannot chew it." - Mark Twain

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 20:13:57

it is disrespectful to say bad stuff about dead people. but hitler, stalin, kim jon il...etc nobody cares if you disrepect them, they were horrible.

BBS Signature

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 20:14:46

At 1 hour ago, FairSquare wrote: I've always found it pretty ridiculous. If i think someone's an asshole i won't suddenly talk like he was a saint when he's dead.
I was at a dinner the other night and one of my nephews (he's 8 year old) was talking about how bad Hitler was for some reason. His grandma told him not to speak ill of the dead.

Hell, I would piss on Osamas grave and proudly shout "Fuck this guy"

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 20:18:48

At 50 seconds ago, bgraybr wrote: In other words, you shouldn't speak ill of the dead because you're clinging to useless hate for someone that can't hurt you anymore.

That depends on the situation.
I won't initiate a conversation about how much of an asshole someone who died was.
If my opinion is asked however, i won't have a different opinion on someone after he died than before.

BBS Signature

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 20:37:43

If you were a cruel and evil mass murdering bastard and you die, you suddenly should be completely forgiven and no one should say anything against what you did? Lol.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-09 20:44:05

Moral whores. Ignorant. Childish.

Anyone who actually says ''Don't speak ill of the dead''. They are fucking retarded.

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-10 08:17:23

I don't care for the phrase, but you shouldn't have to say anything about anyone because they're gone and doing no harm anymore.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-10 08:31:39

Don't come running to me if they start haunting your ass.

[insert witty signature here]

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-10 08:36:07

At 16 minutes ago, simon wrote: I don't care for the phrase, but you shouldn't have to say anything about anyone because they're gone and doing no harm anymore.

Their legacy can be harmful. Especially if they will be seen as martyrs.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-10 08:44:26

At 2 minutes ago, satanbrain wrote: Their legacy can be harmful. Especially if they will be seen as martyrs.

What's wrong with that? Their legacy is only harmful to the people they are targeting.

[insert witty signature here]

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-10 08:51:18

I agree. It's a pretty stupid. Especially if someone was bad, like hitler.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-10 08:54:46

Of course you don't have to pretend that someone is a saint when he clearly wasn't. That's not what the expression means. All it basically says is that you shouldn't say he was an asshole (or not out loud at least).

I can see the point. There might always be someone around who has good memories of a certain person and if you're going to call that person names like that they might get a little touchy and emotional leading to nasty situations. I don't know if you have any friends or relatives who have passed away, but how would you feel if you hear someone saying they were assholes and bitches and whatnot? I doubt you'll be glad to hear that. Furthermore, it's always a bit weak anyway to attack someone when he isn't around to defend him/herself.

You may still think he was an asshole, but it might be wise to keep that to yourself.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-10 08:58:52

I think it sounds pretty stupid, that said you should have some respect for the dead, for example try not to disrespect them too much.

As in lying about them. I'd hate it if I died and I was known for untrue things.

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-10 09:25:35

At 38 minutes ago, katabasis wrote:
At 2 minutes ago, satanbrain wrote: Their legacy can be harmful. Especially if they will be seen as martyrs.
What's wrong with that? Their legacy is only harmful to the people they are targeting.

What I meant to say is that if they were leaders then their followers may see them as martyrs and thus legacy is harmful.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-10 10:51:24

At 15 hours ago, FairSquare wrote: I've always found it pretty ridiculous. If i think someone's an asshole i won't suddenly talk like he was a saint when he's dead.

man, they're dead and rotting in the ground, who gives a flying fuck?

and your grandma is a nazi sympathizer.

bam.

(\__/)

(o .o)

(")_(") start a trend - list what song you're listening to when you post. Ha Ha Ha! Attention whoring.

BBS Signature

Response to ''Speak no ill of the dead'' 2012-02-10 11:55:45

At 16 hours ago, FairSquare wrote: I've always found it pretty ridiculous. If i think someone's an asshole i won't suddenly talk like he was a saint when he's dead.

The general reason why is because dead people can't defend themselves, there's even a culture that believes gossip is the equivalency of cannibalizing the dead, because just like the person you're talking about, the person you're eating can't defend himself.