00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mike181 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Worst Best Picture Winners!

837 Views | 18 Replies

Worst Best Picture Winners! 2012-01-28 02:11:33

The Oscars are almost on the way and I noticed that nobody has ever done a thread on what anyone thinks are the worst films that have won the Oscar for Best Picture. Well, I would like to know what you think are the Worst Best Picture Winners and explain why. Also, explain which film you thought should've won instead.

For example, I will give three films that I think were the worst ones. Now, this is based on my own opinion so don't bash me, okay? Here they are:

1) CRASH (2005)
When I first saw this film, I said to myself, "How the fuck did this beat Brokeback Mountain?" People claimed that it was a better film, but I disagree. Yes, some of the performances were good, the direction was good, the atomsphere of the film did make the movie look okay, but I didn't think it was Best Picture material. This is nothing but a bunch of stories of people who deal with racism in a twenty-four hour period. All the characters were unlikable, even the ones who weren't bad (Matt Dillon's character I hated). Some of the stories were not even well-developed, the story with the asian man and his wife felt like a filler. Another thing, the film's premise has been done before. You know, Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing"? That had a similar premise. Besides, Spike Lee did a much better job at tackling racism than Paul Haggis did, but that's just me.

Now, I wanted Brokeback Mountain to be named Best Picture because it was a beautifully-made film that told a story that more movies have to tell: Two people of the same sex who fall in love but are torn apart by an unaccepting society. Now I know something like this has been done before, but still.

2) The English Patient (1996)
I heard a lot of good things about this film, but when I saw it, I didn't really like it. All the film is about a burned man who tells his nurse a story about his affair with a married woman. Now, another best picture winner did this before back in the mid-eighties. You know, Amadeus? Only that film was interesting. This was not. I felt that it dragged on and on and on. The scenes with World War II action was interesting, but that was it. I felt that the love story part was predictable.

Fargo, on the other hand, was not predictable. That was an amazing crime film that had my eyes pasted to the screen till it was over. It was one of the best films The Coen Brothers have ever made. The story about a man who has his wife kidnapped so he could get money from his father-in-law, but a pregnant police chief foils it was fan-fucking-tastic. Every scene in this film, I felt, had a real purpose. The performances by Steve Buscemi, William H. Macy and Frances McDormand (who won the Best Actress oscar) were just flawless.

3) The French Connection (1971)
Now, I could barely remember anything about this movie. It was that unimpressive. All I can remember is that it was about a couple of detectives who investigate a drug lord. I don't know. But I just could not get invested in this film. Nothing about this said "Best" to me. I heard that the only reason that it won Best Picture was because of a scene with a car chase. That's it. I think naming a film best picture just because it had a car chase scene is just pure bullshit.

For the film I wanted to win that year, I was torn between Fiddler on the Roof and A Clockwork Orange. Those two films were really impressive and were well-made. Fiddler on the Roof was on of my favorite musicals with memorable songs. I loved how they filmed all the musical numbers, especially Tevye's Dream sequence. I could watch it every time and not get bored with it. A Clockwork Orange is possibly one of Stanley Kubrick's masterpieces. Now, I didn't read the book the film was based on, but I now want to check it out. ACO was a real eye-opener with a lot of nudity and violence. I also loved the psycological side of the film. I heard it was a life-changing film. I can believe that.

Now, you know my opinion, let me see what you think are the worst best picture winners. If you don't agree with anyone's choices and want to argue with them on it, be polite.

Response to Worst Best Picture Winners! 2012-01-28 02:19:35

Shakespeare in Love in 1998 is one that comes to mind. Saving Private Ryan probably should have won, maybe Life is Beautiful or even Elizabeth. I guess the voters couldn't see putting Shakespeare over a war flick at the time.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to Worst Best Picture Winners! 2012-01-28 02:22:17

I'm trying to remember, did Across the Universe win best picture, because that film was just fucking horrible. It was just a shitty movie and they butchered the Beatles songs.

DDDDUUUURRRR

BBS Signature

Response to Worst Best Picture Winners! 2012-01-28 02:24:13

At 1/28/12 02:22 AM, Nick2292 wrote: I'm trying to remember, did Across the Universe win best picture?*

That's where the question mark should be...

DDDDUUUURRRR

BBS Signature

Response to Worst Best Picture Winners! 2012-01-28 02:27:46

I believe that the Academy Awards is just one big, commercial, industry circle-jerk for an industry that already celebrates itself at every chance it gets, making it hard to pick a single instance in which those aging Hollywood back-slappers have really outdone themselves with their piss poor judgment but I'll go with "A Beautiful Mind" as a particularly sad moment in Oscar history.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Worst Best Picture Winners! 2012-01-28 02:29:10

At 1/28/12 02:22 AM, Nick2292 wrote: I'm trying to remember, did Across the Universe win best picture, because that film was just fucking horrible. It was just a shitty movie and they butchered the Beatles songs.

That movie was not nominated for Best Picture in the academy awards, nor did it win best picture in any awards ceremony.

BBS Signature

Response to Worst Best Picture Winners! 2012-01-28 02:44:00

At 1/28/12 02:22 AM, Nick2292 wrote: I'm trying to remember, did Across the Universe win best picture, because that film was just fucking horrible. It was just a shitty movie and they butchered the Beatles songs.

I was a hardcore beatle fan by that time but damn did it suck!

XBL: Taillesspack819 Send a Friend Request if u want :D

BBS Signature

Response to Worst Best Picture Winners! 2012-01-28 03:00:41

Titanic (1998): A tear jerker par excellence, and not much else. Okay, you have to give the movie credit: The scenery is pretty good and the special effects are good as well. But the story line? Ugh...

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Worst Best Picture Winners! 2012-01-28 03:34:52

inb4 Forrest Gump

although Pulp Fiction and Shawshank are still pretty good

Response to Worst Best Picture Winners! 2012-01-28 03:58:06

At 1/28/12 03:00 AM, Haggard wrote: Titanic (1998): A tear jerker par excellence, and not much else. Okay, you have to give the movie credit: The scenery is pretty good and the special effects are good as well. But the story line? Ugh...

As Good as It Gets, Good Will Hunting, The Full Monty, and L.A. Confidential were also nominated in '97. Yeah, I can see your point. I would chose Good Will Hunting over Titanic myself, but Titanic dominated the box office as well as public attention that year and I don't think the voters could ignore that.

At 1/28/12 03:34 AM, Halberd wrote: inb4 Forrest Gump

And what is wrong with Forrest Gump?

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to Worst Best Picture Winners! 2012-01-28 04:02:04

At 1/28/12 03:58 AM, reverend wrote:
At 1/28/12 03:34 AM, Halberd wrote: inb4 Forrest Gump
And what is wrong with Forrest Gump?

I didn't hate it, myself, but it was pretty sappy and implausible. Compared to what it was up against (the experimental and creative Pulp Fiction), it probably shouldn't have won. It was definitely better than the wreck that was Shawshank, but not better than Pulp Fiction.

BBS Signature

Response to Worst Best Picture Winners! 2012-01-28 04:57:43

At 1/28/12 04:02 AM, Natick wrote: Chicago

Forgot about that travesty. Robbed Best Picture from Gangs of New York.

Gangs of New York was nominated for ten oscars and won zero. Really awful decision making on the part of the academy that year

BBS Signature

Response to Worst Best Picture Winners! 2012-01-28 05:10:11

Shawshank, Forest Gump, and Pulp Fiction are all some of my favorite movies.

So IMO they all deserved an award of some kind.

Response to Worst Best Picture Winners! 2012-01-28 15:56:27

At 1/28/12 03:58 AM, reverend wrote: I would chose Good Will Hunting over Titanic myself, but Titanic dominated the box office as well as public attention that year and I don't think the voters could ignore that.

But the category is called "Best Picture", not "biggest hit at the box office".

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Worst Best Picture Winners! 2012-01-28 16:38:12

At 1/28/12 02:19 AM, reverend wrote: Shakespeare in Love in 1998 is one that comes to mind. Saving Private Ryan probably should have won, maybe Life is Beautiful or even Elizabeth. I guess the voters couldn't see putting Shakespeare over a war flick at the time.

Yeah that was a terrible choice for "Best Picture" that year. Maybe not the worst choice but still, I remember on the IMDB message board, one user claimed that "Saving Private Ryan" is a movie that glorifies war and will be forgotten while trying to justify why "Shakespeare in Love" won. Personally I believe that guy is a imbecile whose intelligence have been the result of deprivation of oxygen at birth, leading to his idiotic opinion he tried to present as "fact".

Back on the subject, while SIL may have been a good movie but when considering what it won over that year, it would be justified if someone yelled, "FIX!"

For the worst of all time, there's tons of movie being awarded throughout history so it's hard to choose.

One thing is for certain, "Rocky" winning the Best Picture was probably right up there as well. I love the movie as much as the next guy but it's hard to believe it won the best picture.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Worst Best Picture Winners! 2012-01-28 16:41:26

At 1/28/12 05:10 AM, DarkMatter wrote: Shawshank, Forest Gump, and Pulp Fiction are all some of my favorite movies.

It's believed that had Shawshank's been nominated on other years, it would have won the Oscars. Too bad it fought the way from being a box office bust to a fan favorite only to get beaten down by Forrest Gump.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Worst Best Picture Winners! 2012-01-28 18:01:08

I haven't seen enough to really make my own decision, but I want to bring this up.

The Razzie Movie Guide, among other sources, cites

The Greatest Show on Earth

as the worst film ever to win Best Picture.

I believe in the ultimate triumph of evil over good in this world.

It doesn't help that we keep funding our enemies.

Response to Worst Best Picture Winners! 2012-01-28 18:03:20

At 1/28/12 04:41 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
At 1/28/12 05:10 AM, DarkMatter wrote: Shawshank, Forest Gump, and Pulp Fiction are all some of my favorite movies.

It's believed that had Shawshank's been nominated on other years, it would have won the Oscars. Too bad it fought the way from being a box office bust to a fan favorite only to get beaten down by Forrest Gump.

Forest has a nack for winning in the end, I guess that carried over to the awards lol

Response to Worst Best Picture Winners! 2012-01-28 18:22:48

-Slumdog Millionarie
-The King's Speech
-The Hurt Locker
-Chicago
-Shakespeare In Love
-Annie Hall

Sorry for my bad english. I'm not from this planet

Art Page|Art Thread|Youtube

BBS Signature