00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lilwilbug just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Your daily Knife.

7,246 Views | 60 Replies

Response to Your daily Knife. 2012-01-22 18:56:18

You guys are crazy!
This is the knife I use everyday.

For my butter but mine has a floral accent at the handle!
Why you guys risk cutting yourself! Ya little emo's!

Your daily Knife.

Myspace

Website Coming SoonPurevolume

<BR>Perfection Confection Sugar, you can use it on babies.

BBS Signature

Response to Your daily Knife. 2012-01-22 21:16:44

At 1/22/12 06:56 PM, MisterWonderful wrote: You guys are crazy!

cum im a PSYCHO

I always come with a good plan, when that dont work I switch out to the hood plan

,.l.. >_< ..l.,

BBS Signature

Response to Your daily Knife. 2012-01-22 21:25:01

At 1/22/12 09:16 PM, 919CDS wrote:
At 1/22/12 06:56 PM, MisterWonderful wrote: You guys are crazy!

*cuz im a PSYCHO

damn

I always come with a good plan, when that dont work I switch out to the hood plan

,.l.. >_< ..l.,

BBS Signature

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-11 00:41:18

At 1/22/12 03:24 AM, Richard wrote: Wade suggested this knife to me. I'm very happy with it.

Ehh, the 119 isn't a bad knife, in fact, it's one of the best knives I can think of for the money. I'm just not a fan of the phenolic grip and the 440 steel. I mean, 440 isn't TERRIBLE by any stretch, but it's not ideal in my opinion.
The sheath is very nice, I can say from experience. My friend has one of these knives. If I were you, I'd be looking for a better EDC knife: a folder or something along those lines.
I'm not sure what you told Wade you used knives for, but a 6" fixed-blade isn't my first choice in EDC blades.
As for what I own, I'll name a few examples.
I own an ESEE Junglas, Kershaw Leek, Emerson/Kershaw CQC-6, ESSEE Laser Strike, Ka-Bar Straight Edge, Victorinox Cybertool-34, Mora Classic 3 and Extrema Ratio Police EVO, to name my favorites.

Stay safe,
UsernameUser

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-11 01:59:50

At 9/11/14 12:41 AM, UsernameUser wrote:
I own an ESEE Junglas, Kershaw Leek, Emerson/Kershaw CQC-6, ESSEE Laser Strike, Ka-Bar Straight Edge, Victorinox Cybertool-34, Mora Classic 3 and Extrema Ratio Police EVO, to name my favorites.

Stay safe,
UsernameUser

I don't really need a hunting knife anymore. These days, it's all about chef's knife. Since I work two jobs in two different kitchens every day, this is my daily knife. Well worth the extra cash I spent on it.

Your daily Knife.

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-11 03:34:53

do butter knifes count

Your daily Knife.

Solwings formerly dalexj1337 - Being a sped online since 2014

BBS Signature

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-11 03:59:47

At 1/21/12 06:38 PM, Mumbo wrote: Okay, so here's how this works; Post a picture or describe your daily-use pocket knife, and what you'd generally use it for. OR If you don't have one, what kind would you want, and what would you use it for?

My knife is a Feild and Stream, which is meh I guess, but it's not too shabby. I got a sexy new knife sharpener for christmas, so it's razor sharp now. I use it for cutting boxes and packages open at work, and then collapsing them down flat.

Pretty big knife. Legs for comparison.
Your turn.

Eh bumped thread....but I suppose I'll add in mine. I don't have any decent combat or utility knives to be able to properly do stuff. But I do have a nice knife for all my current cooking needs! This Kitchen Devil brand knife isn't the best in the world, but at the same time it does chop and slice nicely. The blade has gone a bit blunt over the years since I only recently got a knife sharpener so it may be a little too late for it to help enough, but with that said it doesn't seem to give me any noticeable problems. (Perhaps when slicing things like onions or watermelons it won't go as swiftly as desired though, but will still cut with enough aid) It does however suffer badly with trying to open things like coconuts though it wasn't helped by me also fearing it glancing off the coconut if I swung with force which may have instead gone into me. But for most cooking tasks it does the job.

I'll get a better knife in a bit when wanting to properly get into cooking a lot and perhaps a cleaving type heavy one to open things like coconuts, but that is for another day.

Your daily Knife.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-16 14:41:12

At 9/11/14 03:59 AM, Ragnarokia wrote:
At 1/21/12 06:38 PM, Mumbo wrote: Okay, so here's how this works; Post a picture or describe your daily-use pocket knife, and what you'd generally use it for. OR If you don't have one, what kind would you want, and what would you use it for?

My knife is a Feild and Stream, which is meh I guess, but it's not too shabby. I got a sexy new knife sharpener for christmas, so it's razor sharp now. I use it for cutting boxes and packages open at work, and then collapsing them down flat.

Pretty big knife. Legs for comparison.
Your turn.
Eh bumped thread....but I suppose I'll add in mine. I don't have any decent combat or utility knives to be able to properly do stuff. But I do have a nice knife for all my current cooking needs! This Kitchen Devil brand knife isn't the best in the world, but at the same time it does chop and slice nicely. The blade has gone a bit blunt over the years since I only recently got a knife sharpener so it may be a little too late for it to help enough, but with that said it doesn't seem to give me any noticeable problems. (Perhaps when slicing things like onions or watermelons it won't go as swiftly as desired though, but will still cut with enough aid) It does however suffer badly with trying to open things like coconuts though it wasn't helped by me also fearing it glancing off the coconut if I swung with force which may have instead gone into me. But for most cooking tasks it does the job.

I'll get a better knife in a bit when wanting to properly get into cooking a lot and perhaps a cleaving type heavy one to open things like coconuts, but that is for another day.

Spend 35 dollars on an 8 inch victorinox fibrox chef's knife. It is a great starter knife, has an AMAZING edge, has a lifetime warranty, and I mean the thing slices through a head of cabbage like soft butter. If it breaks, you can send it back and they'll replace it for free minus S&H. You should also be using a stone to sharpen your knives, not a knife sharpener. You want a stone with a coarse edge, and a stone with a fine edge. You also want a steel for cleaning those edges up. Sharper knives mean a higher quality end product. When you use a dull knife to cut produce you are bruising the produce. next time you chop up some romaine lettuce, take a look at the leaves. You'll notice the leaves are dark on the edges where you cut them. This is bruising that is significantly reduced by using a sharp knife. The sharper the knife, the less force that needs to be used, the less pressure that has to be applied to the produce, and thus, less bruising.

You will also learn that you want to use as few cuts as possible to get your produce to the desired size for the same reason as stated above. Less cutting = less bruising. Generally you will be able to more finely dice and slice things thinly than with a dull knife. You should also be storing it where the blade is not jostled around and does not come into contact with hard things such as the inside of a drawer or other utensils. You also do not want to wash it in a machine as it will dull the blade.

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-16 14:43:55

At 1/21/12 06:43 PM, EyeLovePoozy wrote: Cool. I never heard of a woman carrying around a pocket knife.

Does it have a clip on the other side or do you keep it in your purse?

Man, you were a dick.

fuk

BBS Signature

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-16 14:46:59

At 9/16/14 02:43 PM, Nickisabi wrote:
At 1/21/12 06:43 PM, EyeLovePoozy wrote: Cool. I never heard of a woman carrying around a pocket knife.

Does it have a clip on the other side or do you keep it in your purse?
Man, you were a dick.

He's always been that way. You are a product of your environment. For him that means one upping everyone and shoving his masculinity on everyone as much as possible to show dominance. I don't blame him though. That's pretty much the culture of this board.

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-16 15:36:21

At 9/16/14 02:41 PM, Richard wrote: Spend 35 dollars on an 8 inch victorinox fibrox chef's knife. It is a great starter knife, has an AMAZING edge, has a lifetime warranty, and I mean the thing slices through a head of cabbage like soft butter. If it breaks, you can send it back and they'll replace it for free minus S&H. You should also be using a stone to sharpen your knives, not a knife sharpener. You want a stone with a coarse edge, and a stone with a fine edge. You also want a steel for cleaning those edges up. Sharper knives mean a higher quality end product. When you use a dull knife to cut produce you are bruising the produce. next time you chop up some romaine lettuce, take a look at the leaves. You'll notice the leaves are dark on the edges where you cut them. This is bruising that is significantly reduced by using a sharp knife. The sharper the knife, the less force that needs to be used, the less pressure that has to be applied to the produce, and thus, less bruising.

You will also learn that you want to use as few cuts as possible to get your produce to the desired size for the same reason as stated above. Less cutting = less bruising. Generally you will be able to more finely dice and slice things thinly than with a dull knife. You should also be storing it where the blade is not jostled around and does not come into contact with hard things such as the inside of a drawer or other utensils. You also do not want to wash it in a machine as it will dull the blade.

Thanks for the information there, I did notice again today when making a meal that it can slice through some things totally fine but more meaty things like an onion I need to apply force or it gets stuck in the thicker sections. I'm pretty sure the edge is blunting at this stage so may get a new one if it gets worse.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-16 15:42:00

Usually this.

Your daily Knife.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-16 15:43:10

I have a knife like Richard's. :)

Your daily Knife.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-16 15:43:36

At 9/16/14 03:43 PM, WadeFulp wrote: I have a knife like Richard's. :)

Actually it's this one, the other one is longer.

Your daily Knife.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-16 15:50:46

At 9/16/14 03:43 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
At 9/16/14 03:43 PM, WadeFulp wrote: I have a knife like Richard's. :)
Actually it's this one, the other one is longer.

That's what she said.

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-16 16:07:39

At 9/11/14 12:41 AM, UsernameUser wrote:
At 1/22/12 03:24 AM, Richard wrote: Wade suggested this knife to me. I'm very happy with it.
Ehh, the 119 isn't a bad knife, in fact, it's one of the best knives I can think of for the money. I'm just not a fan of the phenolic grip and the 440 steel. I mean, 440 isn't TERRIBLE by any stretch, but it's not ideal in my opinion.

It's actually 420HC. They used to use 440C, but it was too hard for most people to sharpen. 420HC isn't great steel, but it's easier to sharpen for more people. As long as you maintain the edge it should be fine. Buck does a good job with their heat treatments as well. I can't remember what application he had that I recommended that knife. I used mine hard back in the day. Chopped through ice, chopped down trees, etc. The knife never failed.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-16 16:35:27

At 9/16/14 03:36 PM, Ragnarokia wrote:
At 9/16/14 02:41 PM, Richard wrote: Spend 35 dollars on an 8 inch victorinox fibrox chef's knife. It is a great starter knife, has an AMAZING edge, has a lifetime warranty, and I mean the thing slices through a head of cabbage like soft butter. If it breaks, you can send it back and they'll replace it for free minus S&H. You should also be using a stone to sharpen your knives, not a knife sharpener. You want a stone with a coarse edge, and a stone with a fine edge. You also want a steel for cleaning those edges up. Sharper knives mean a higher quality end product. When you use a dull knife to cut produce you are bruising the produce. next time you chop up some romaine lettuce, take a look at the leaves. You'll notice the leaves are dark on the edges where you cut them. This is bruising that is significantly reduced by using a sharp knife. The sharper the knife, the less force that needs to be used, the less pressure that has to be applied to the produce, and thus, less bruising.

Thanks for the information there, I did notice again today when making a meal that it can slice through some things totally fine but more meaty things like an onion I need to apply force or it gets stuck in the thicker sections. I'm pretty sure the edge is blunting at this stage so may get a new one if it gets worse.

Check amazon for that victorinox fibrox. I'm not joking. That is an amazingly grea beginner's chef's knife. I have one myself and although I've since upgraded to a Japanese Shun chef's knife, I still use the victorinox to murder cabbage, lettuce, and other roughage. That knife is going to stay in my knife roll until it dies. In which case i'll just get it replaced. It's stamped steel, and not hand forged, which means it has a little bit of flexibility in it. You can easily make mush out of garlic for your soups and sauces by chopping garlic into thin pieces, sprinkling kosher salt onto the board, then placing the garlic down on top of it. From there, you take the knife, and push it down onto the garlic while pulling the knife towards you. basically you're using the knife to grind the garlic into the board with the salt, thus creating a paste.

Great knife. 10/10 would buy again.

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-16 16:59:17

All of my Kershaw knives are still back home at my parent's house. I picked these two Gerbers up at the BX on base, just for every day stuff. Both are allowed on base, but I got the small one to carry around when on base because it feels weird with a bigger knife.

Your daily Knife.

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-16 17:46:52

At 9/16/14 05:23 PM, ManDeep wrote:
At 9/16/14 05:12 PM, ManDeep wrote: Hey i still had a Swiss army knife laying around, how swell.
Just look at the sharpness of this thing!

Hey look! Your Swiss army knife has a cockscrew!

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-16 23:19:45

It's actually 420HC. They used to use 440C, but it was too hard for most people to sharpen. 420HC isn't great steel, but it's easier to sharpen for more people. As long as you maintain the edge it should be fine. Buck does a good job with their heat treatments as well. I can't remember what application he had that I recommended that knife. I used mine hard back in the day. Chopped through ice, chopped down trees, etc. The knife never failed.

Oh, that's interesting. I was not aware of the change.
But, you said it, Buck does a great job with their heat treatments. They make a lower-grade steel competitive with far higher-end materials, which really helps to make quality products available to a lot of people.
My friend's had his for two years now, and he still raves about it. Granted, the knife isn't the right shape for all your needs, but you can't go wrong with a full-tang Buck.

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-16 23:48:08

At 9/11/14 01:59 AM, Richard wrote:
I don't really need a hunting knife anymore. These days, it's all about chef's knife. Since I work two jobs in two different kitchens every day, this is my daily knife. Well worth the extra cash I spent on it.

What's your position in the kitchen, and what restaurant are you working at?

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-17 00:01:10

I don't have to use this very often but it comes in handy once in a while.

@Abnf has a pretty big collection of knives.

Your daily Knife.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-18 00:15:08

At 9/16/14 11:48 PM, Boomstick wrote:
At 9/11/14 01:59 AM, Richard wrote:
What's your position in the kitchen, and what restaurant are you working at?

I have two different restaurants I work in. I work as a prep cook in the morning, and I work as garde manger in the evening. One is high end casual dining, and the other is, well we are whatever our club needs us to be. We are fast food, casual dining, and high end fine dining.

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-18 00:48:37

At 9/18/14 12:15 AM, Richard wrote:
I have two different restaurants I work in. I work as a prep cook in the morning, and I work as garde manger in the evening. One is high end casual dining, and the other is, well we are whatever our club needs us to be. We are fast food, casual dining, and high end fine dining.

Sounds alright, I'm in a culinary program here, garde manger is a class I'll be taking next semester. It's pretty great, all the instructors there have great connections if I need a job. I could even get a job at Disneyland here if I wanted to.

BBS Signature

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-18 02:56:59

You people, you scare me.

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-18 22:44:50

At 9/18/14 12:48 AM, Boomstick wrote:

Sounds alright, I'm in a culinary program here, garde manger is a class I'll be taking next semester. It's pretty great, all the instructors there have great connections if I need a job. I could even get a job at Disneyland here if I wanted to.

Then you'll understand my unwillingness to divulge where I work at. The professional kitchen community is a very small one. Word travels fast, most Chefs know each other and fucking up at one place and being a huge dick has the potential to alienate you from many places.

As for Disneyland...I wouldn't do it unless you were working at a very, very high end restaurant. Amusement park faire is usually frozen and tossed in fryers or on a grill. Usually no skill is required.

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-18 22:51:15

this is my knife. I use it to put stuff on toast and bread. Iz naaaice.
But in all honesty, I have a few friends with super rad knife collections, and another who collects katanas, but I'm insanely clumsy and I would probably manage to someone lose a limb. Not even kidding. I have sliced by hand open with a butter knife.

Your daily Knife.

[pretend I've said something very witty here.]

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-18 22:52:44

for fucks sake I thought I was being so witty and cool and a bunch of other people did the same thing.

[pretend I've said something very witty here.]

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-19 01:03:03

At 9/18/14 10:44 PM, Richard wrote:

As for Disneyland...I wouldn't do it unless you were working at a very, very high end restaurant. Amusement park faire is usually frozen and tossed in fryers or on a grill. Usually no skill is required.

I'm not aiming to be a churro vender, the training I get at this school is legit. My Chef was a former Executive Chef at the Grand California Hotel, and he did banquets events and such. He has connections to all the good service restaurants here, it's not like I'm going to end up a short order cook.

BBS Signature

Response to Your daily Knife. 2014-09-20 01:37:34

Nothing fancy but gets the job done.

Your daily Knife.

|Add me on XBL| My flash's|Thanks to SupraAddict for the awesome sig!

BBS Signature