00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Trying to eventually stay scouted.

1,363 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Perhaps my attitude about my work doesn't help me, I don't think myself an artist, but I do think I can be creative.

I have been scouted and de-scouted twice. I'm not bitter, I know it's most likely due to the fact that most of my work isn't all that hard to recreate if you've had time with Photoshop. So I'm looking for a little help or suggestions.

I don't really draw all that much, but when I do it's usually things made out of curves and rounded shapes (pic below). I also own body paints and at times I'll create something I like when painting a friends face. Would posting a photo of what I painted be safe within the rules?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

"As I'm sure you're aware it is full of silhouettes of girls. The one on the M looks like she has a dick, just saiyan." -Shade-

BBS Signature

Response to Trying to eventually stay scouted. 2012-01-20 22:45:09

At 1/20/12 10:01 PM, MoonCraft wrote:

Would posting a photo of what I painted be safe within the rules?

as long as the art on the body is your own art, and the pic is one that you took, if any nudity, then might want to post that it is Not Safe For Work, (NSFW) before posting pic.

as for the ones you posted already i think the work is awesome, (scorpion is prolly my favorite)

as for being "un-scouted" if the person who scouts you gets kicked don't all the people who they scouted also get kicked? (if so, it might not be your work inpeticular that got you "un-scouted")

Because some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn -Alfred

BBS Signature

Response to Trying to eventually stay scouted. 2012-01-20 23:27:05

Make things that people are interested in looking at. Just because you drew it doesn't mean it's interesting or engaging in any way, and if your only sample is done on notebook paper then I don't understand what kind of response you were looking for.

if you don't want to do figure drawings, or environmental drawings, or anything that is subjective then do interesting abstract work. Use color and form to entice us. I want to see entire page spreads of these pattern drawings, landscapes and scenes that swirl together and vibrate. I don't care about a 2 inch by 2 inch swirlfish unless its in a 30by 20 swirlingocean that is crashing against the boarders of the page, with swirling clouds and seagulls, with the sun and the moon melting into the sky.

So basically, be more invested. People dedicate their entire lives to the pursuit of an audience. They play music on the streets, they paint on walls and they obsessively update their sketchbooks...
In many cases, obviously not all of them: these are the people you want to scout you.

If you show no interest in making engaging art I have no idea why anyone would like to see you churn it into an already crowded arena.

Response to Trying to eventually stay scouted. 2012-01-20 23:30:20

Yes you may take pictures of your drawings and post them. But a few pointers.

First lined paper is greatly discouraged and 99.9% of stuff submitted to the portal on lined paper will be kicked to your user page.
Second a sheet full of random fun designs might look cool but its not exactly a finished piece and not exactly portal worthy either.

You might want to consider starting an art thread. The restrictions for what should and shouldn't be posted are much more lenient in a thread (just remember to tag your thread as nsfw is you are going to be posting questionable content). Its also a great way to get feedback on your stuff.

Response to Trying to eventually stay scouted. 2012-01-21 16:33:02

The picture I posted was just a jumbled sampling of my art "style" beyond the Photoshopped pieces I have hosted on my profile. I just scanned them and posted it as an example without throwing it in Photoshop first and dropping the blue channel to get rid of the notebook lines.

Thank you all for the feedback, when I have time to sit down and finish a singular piece I will be sure to post in the forums and hopefully develop ways to polish up my work so it may contribute to the Art Portal.

"As I'm sure you're aware it is full of silhouettes of girls. The one on the M looks like she has a dick, just saiyan." -Shade-

BBS Signature

Response to Trying to eventually stay scouted. 2012-01-21 17:10:09

Here's a tip:
Do not submit photomanipulations or filter-raped images.
Photomanips are not allowed, and filter-raping looks terrible.

Response to Trying to eventually stay scouted. 2012-04-20 15:43:52

3 months later......

I'm starting to practice face/body painting again so I'm considering submitting pieces when I feel they have gotten better.

Painted a Tiger on myself in a few minutes time.

BBS Signature

Response to Trying to eventually stay scouted. 2012-07-09 02:21:38

Added a few pieces to my account and we'll see how it goes. Does NG even have any submitters that use bodypaint? Is it considered an inferior medium? I don't recall seing anyone else on here use them.

BBS Signature

Response to Trying to eventually stay scouted. 2012-07-09 02:41:18

You are the first bodypainter that I have seen on newgrounds.

At 7/9/12 02:21 AM, MoonCraft wrote: Added a few pieces to my account and we'll see how it goes. Does NG even have any submitters that use bodypaint? Is it considered an inferior medium? I don't recall seing anyone else on here use them.

NEOvivid 1.7

Response to Trying to eventually stay scouted. 2012-07-09 04:10:28

At 7/9/12 02:21 AM, MoonCraft wrote: Added a few pieces to my account and we'll see how it goes. Does NG even have any submitters that use bodypaint? Is it considered an inferior medium? I don't recall seing anyone else on here use them.

I can't think of any one else that does, but I don't think that's because people hate it. I do think that if you want to be scouted on the merits of the paint you'll have to get your photography and your lighting really good. Control the compositions of the photographs and make sure there isn't a bunch of junk behind the body painting.

Response to Trying to eventually stay scouted. 2012-07-09 19:34:22

Thanks for the advice. Most of the time the only chance I get to snap pictures is when I'm working. I'm sure I can eventually set aside a day for painting and taking proper pictures.

BBS Signature