00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Animation Forum Lounge

20,714 Views | 165 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-01-09 19:06:35

At 1/9/12 03:11 PM, spammer4life wrote:
At 1/9/12 02:46 PM, fluffkomix wrote:
At 1/8/12 09:22 PM, Nae wrote:
At 1/8/12 03:07 AM, fluffkomix wrote: I'd just like to share with you guys some of my favorite animations and why i love them.
I would think this would be a better topic for its own thread. Or is there one already? (inspiration thread or something) I dunno!
I was thinking about that but i figured i might as well post it here. Maybe another time though
i dont really understand the "going to the store" movie, is it stop-motion?

No, it's a 3D model of a person (the kind that's generally used as a placeholder for the final model) put into film via after effects.

Sig made by me

Once again i'm falling down a mountain like a metaphor

Here ends another post by the grand master of all things: fluffkomix

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-01-09 19:31:17

At 1/9/12 07:06 PM, fluffkomix wrote:
No, it's a 3D model of a person (the kind that's generally used as a placeholder for the final model) put into film via after effects.

wow! thats amazing!!
I had to look trough the comments on vimeo because i thought i where kidding me:P
it would have ben a pretty crazy stopmotion too!!

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 18:36:38

I really, really want to animate and I know you're supposed to start off with small successes, but I'm having the problem of not being able to do shit.

It's so frustrating.

1, 2, 3, Coffee 4, 5, 8, too late

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 19:43:28

At 57 minutes ago, Corky-D wrote: I really, really want to animate and I know you're supposed to start off with small successes, but I'm having the problem of not being able to do shit.

It's so frustrating.

thats exactly the way to start

animation is not like playing an MMORPG where you go around and have fun even though you suck and improve with time, want it or not

its more like riding a bike: you try and try and you seem to go nowhere and you wonder how the fuck people use that torture device for moving around until you get the hang of it with sacrifice and time and skills

except you live on a valley and to be able to actually ride your bike its a long way uphill where you need to develop your skills and spend millions of hours and develop your stamina to actually make it to flat ground - where you can finally have some fun and ride your bike

and every time you want to ride its still a pain because you have to traverse that same path, and you may now have what it takes, but its still many hours from home to where you wanna go

now go eat your vegetables timmy

ama gon chill

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 19:57:38

At 9 minutes ago, Sacros wrote: thats exactly the way to start

animation is not like playing an MMORPG where you go around and have fun even though you suck and improve with time, want it or not

its more like riding a bike: you try and try and you seem to go nowhere and you wonder how the fuck people use that torture device for moving around until you get the hang of it with sacrifice and time and skills

except you live on a valley and to be able to actually ride your bike its a long way uphill where you need to develop your skills and spend millions of hours and develop your stamina to actually make it to flat ground - where you can finally have some fun and ride your bike

and every time you want to ride its still a pain because you have to traverse that same path, and you may now have what it takes, but its still many hours from home to where you wanna go
now go eat your vegetables timmy

Yeah, what I need mostly is patience with myself.
I'll start off with just trying small animations without regard to quality, just to get a feel, or so.
Either way, I WILL eventually get to where I would like to.

Interesting story, thanks.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 21:43:07

At 1 hour ago, Sacros wrote: Thats exactly the way to start.
Now go eat your vegetables timmy.

That was beautiful Sacros.. c':

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-08 23:44:51

Hai guys, I hope I can join your club?

--

I have a question or two to axe you guys; what do you do to rally your forces? To inspire yourself to start, or finish, a project?

Also; how do you develop your ideas that you will make into a flash? What do you do to make that light-bulb go off?

I'll take my answers off the air.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-09 11:00:50

Does anybody here know ScreamerClauz or am I the only person that watches animations like that?

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-09 18:05:01

At 4 hours ago, Zachary wrote:
I think it's fair to say that every animator struggles with this problem. While the finished animation will bring you gratification (hopefully), the work leading up to that is extremely time consuming and intensive. So if you want that good feeling of sharing the finished product you should keep pushing yourself to complete it.

Yeah, I think it applies to creative types of all sorts, writers, musicians, fine artists, etc. I have a lot of trouble getting and staying motivated (cheap instant coffee helps only so much). So I'm just wondering what others do to get through the tough spots.

Watch other animations. There really is no trick to set that light bulb off in your head because that is all creativity. Someone can be the best animator in the world, but without the help of others thinking of stories for them ( or shorts ) they most likely will never be successful.

Most definitely. Have you seen any of the Annecy Festival short animations on Youtube?
They are amazing (this is one of my favorites)... But I digress, personally I like to take walks while listening to music and sometimes... sometimes an idea will hit me, usually not though, so it takes a long time for me to come up with anything worthwhile and then I have to deal with the motivation issue discussed earlier, lol...

Anyway, thatnks for your thoughts on this. =]

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-09 20:04:41

At 1 hour ago, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
Watch other animations.
Most definitely. Have you seen any of the Annecy Festival short animations on Youtube?

lol... I was just about to post a link to that too. STOP COPYING ME, KRAIG!!!!
I really liked this one!

Like you said (elsewhere) ...these animations are really inspiring! Not like some stuff where you watch it and just feel beaten and defeated afterwards!!

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-09 21:46:32

Completely out of left field here but I've always heard fellow animators complaining about the cost of Flash CS(input number here), So I always assumed it was super expensive and in the past had pirated it for stuff. The computer I had flash on died and just on a whim I went to Adobe's site to look at the price....$119 really? You guys can't save up $120? That's ridiculous, I work for minimum wage and I make more than that in a week -_- There's a difference between grossly overpriced and people being greedy.

No one mentioned it but it's just something I've always wanted to say.

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-09 21:59:21

At 10 minutes ago, Croire wrote: ... a whim I went to Adobe's site to look at the price....$119 really? You guys can't save up $120?

Lol, it's HOW MUCH?

I do not advocate or condone pirating Flash, but you have figures that are for the UPGRADE from a previous version, not the full software.

Animation Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-09 22:02:56

At 14 minutes ago, Croire wrote: $119 really? You guys can't save up $120? That's ridiculous, I work

HAHA JKJKJKJK JUST WENT BACK AFTER READING A COMMENT....119 IS FOR THE UPGRADE ONLY???? WHOA OKAY THAT IS GROSSLY OVERPRICED I UNDERSTAND THE COMMUNITIES BITCHING. $699 THAT IS OBSCENE.

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-10 00:17:19

Hey guys, I haven't had flash in a year or two, and the last version I had was good ol reliable flash 8.

Sort of want to try to get back into animating, but should I get toonboom animate, or flash 8 again? I think toonboon animate would be swell these days because it probably works better for non-swf formats, but flash 8 I know well and does swf very well (obviously).

Thoughts?! :O!

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-10 00:36:32

At 4 minutes ago, x-factor11 wrote:
Thoughts?! :O!

Flash 8 is so ca$h, but kinda dated by now (I have been able to run it fine in Win 7 64 but have read of other people having lots of problems running or installing in a contemporary OS), last non-Adobe-bloatware Flash version much <3 for Flash 8 here.

Toon Boom Animate looks quite promising, but it costs the same as Adobe Flash CS5 (here anyway) and Animate Pro costs significantly more. I'd suggest you try the demo to see if you like it before making such a hefty investment.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-10 01:28:35

At 47 minutes ago, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Flash 8 is so ca$h, but kinda dated by now (I have been able to run it fine in Win 7 64 but have read of other people having lots of problems running or installing in a contemporary OS), last non-Adobe-bloatware Flash version much <3 for Flash 8 here.

Toon Boom Animate looks quite promising, but it costs the same as Adobe Flash CS5 (here anyway) and Animate Pro costs significantly more. I'd suggest you try the demo to see if you like it before making such a hefty investment.

sounds good

sad to hear flash 8 doesn't work for some computers, but last time I remember it was working for mine. I wouldn't get flash it wasn't 8 though, it's either that or bust for me, since it was Macromedia still and SO DAMN SICK.

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-10 12:08:05

i think its time we look further into open source software, we cant keep supporting them fags so they can charge whatever they want

im planning in switching to GIMP which is kinda like photoshop

we just need a way to stick a preloader into our work, thats a nice programming project too

ama gon chill

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-10 13:54:55

At 1 hour ago, Sacros wrote: i think its time we look further into open source software, we cant keep supporting them fags so they can charge whatever they want

im planning in switching to GIMP which is kinda like photoshop

we just need a way to stick a preloader into our work, thats a nice programming project too

Hmm, but the student version is 179 and the only difference is that you can't sell your work. Either according to past post in this forum, people say for 1 project in flash you'd get at least 2000, clearly covering the cost of the program with a profit.

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-10 15:16:19

At 1 hour ago, DillonBrannick wrote: Hmm, but the student version is 179 and the only difference is that you can't sell your work.

I'm pretty sure they removed that restriction. I can try to find documentation on it later.

I think if you're comfortable with Flash 8 and are a student... getting the latest version of Flash is kind of a no-brainer.

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-10 16:30:06

How many of you use the bone tool?

Do you consider it a time saver or just a lazy hack?

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-10 17:16:54

At 44 minutes ago, Corky-D wrote: How many of you use the bone tool?

I don't think anyone uses it. It's impractical, it looks unnatural and it's just cheap looking.

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-10 18:52:21

At 3 hours ago, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 1 hour ago, DillonBrannick wrote: Hmm, but the student version is 179 and the only difference is that you can't sell your work.
I'm pretty sure they removed that restriction. I can try to find documentation on it later.

really? so there's no difference, apart from that you have to be student, you sure?

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-10 19:05:45

At 11 minutes ago, DillonBrannick wrote: really? so there's no difference, apart from that you have to be student, you sure?

yeah i think you have to prove youre a student also, I'd imagine so anyway.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-10 19:05:56

At 2 hours ago, Corky-D wrote: How many of you use the bone tool?

I would consider it as a lazy tool.

If you're animating, why not ANIMATE it yourself. It gives a way better result.

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-10 19:08:00

At A few seconds ago, Luis wrote: yeah i think you have to prove youre a student also, I'd imagine so anyway.

Yeah that makes sense, what happens if you got it as a student and then got old, would it still be yours to sell your work, or do you think there's some kind of clause?

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-11 09:54:46

At 17 hours ago, Corky-D wrote: How many of you use the bone tool?

its neither a time saver or a lazy hack, its just horrible to use giving the animator very limited possiblities when animating complex movements and is very pointless, same goes for the other recent features in flash cs4 and up (*cough* motion tween *cough)

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-11 11:49:04

At 16 hours ago, DillonBrannick wrote: Yeah that makes sense, what happens if you got it as a student and then got old, would it still be yours to sell your work, or do you think there's some kind of clause?

I found this...

"Since CS5, the Student and Teacher Editions can be utilized for personal as well as commercial use, for all academic customers worldwide. So yes, you can sell your services or anything you create, or use these products in developing a side business or online venture. And after graduation or completion of coursework, you can continue to use the software on your personal systems; there is no usage expiration and the tools will continue to work."

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-11 11:56:18

At 4 minutes ago, ReNaeNae wrote: I found this...

"Since CS5, the Student and Teacher Editions can be utilized for personal as well as commercial use, for all academic customers worldwide. So yes, you can sell your services or anything you create, or use these products in developing a side business or online venture. And after graduation or completion of coursework, you can continue to use the software on your personal systems; there is no usage expiration and the tools will continue to work."

This is class, there's absolutely no reason to pay full price, really cool. Thanks for finding that.

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-11 12:03:49

At 9 minutes ago, ReNaeNae wrote: "students get shit for less than 700"

what are the requirements i need to meet to get the student version with the reduced price?

also how much is adobe paying you for the advertising :P

ama gon chill

Response to Animation Forum Lounge 2012-02-11 13:23:41

At 1 hour ago, Sacros wrote: what are the requirements i need to meet to get the student version with the reduced price?

Well, if you'd clicked that link I posted, you would have seen the link to the Eligibility Guide :P

Am I eligible?

To qualify for a student discount, you must be enrolled in one of the following:

- University or college -- accredited public or private university or college (including community, junior, or vocational college) that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two years of full-time study*
- Primary or secondary school -- accredited public or private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction*
- Homeschool -- defined by state homeschooling regulations

Proof of eligibility:
Your proof of eligibility must be a document issued by the institution with your name, institution name, and current date.** Types of proof of enrollment include:

- School ID card
- Report card
- Transcript
- Tuition bill or statement

For homeschooled students:

- Dated copy of a letter of intent to homeschool**
- Current membership ID to a homeschool association (for example, the Home School Legal Defense Association)**
- Dated proof of purchase of curriculum for the current academic school year**

Contact Adobe at 800-585-0774 if you are unclear about whether you qualify.

also how much is adobe paying you for the advertising :P

I'm not advertising... I'm answering questions/concerns about Flash. I wish they'd pay me though... then I could get the CS5.5 upgrade! lol