00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Blackfog105 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is It Okay To Laugh Now?

2,262 Views | 35 Replies

Response to Is It Okay To Laugh Now? 2011-12-23 21:23:33

Whenever someone makes it funny.

Response to Is It Okay To Laugh Now? 2011-12-23 21:24:16

At 12/23/11 11:59 AM, EmmaVolt wrote: I imagine ignorance is the real reason some serious events can seem humorous to us.

I beg to differ. I did a History GCSE, and as such am well informed of the period of history in which the holocaust took place.

Also, my jewish friend laughs at holocaust jokes. You probably get offended because you are female, and women cannot take jokes due to their sensitive nature.

I too find them funny, but this can probably be attributed to me being a horrible person.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to Is It Okay To Laugh Now? 2011-12-23 21:29:58

At 12/23/11 09:14 PM, FBIpolux wrote: I love those kind of jokes... I think the provocative jokes are the best, just to see the reaction of the person you tell it to.

Yeah but again you have to go to context. Someone could be trying to honestly test peoples reactions and provoke thought but at the same time they could be some jackass jumping on the dinnertable screaming "WOOOOO, I'M EDGY!!!!!!!!!"

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Is It Okay To Laugh Now? 2011-12-24 17:03:10

At 12/23/11 11:59 AM, EmmaVolt wrote: When does something serious and catastrophically devastating to a group of people become OK to laugh at - the next day, a week, a month, a year? Why are some events allowed and not others, even in the same timeframe? Are Tokyo tsunami jokes okay? How about 9/11 jokes? Holocaust?
_______

I rarely find myself able to laugh at one of these jokes, unless I know little about the event and/or have no emotional connection to it, or there's something about the event that takes away from the impact. There's no real set timeframe for me when jokes are allowed. For instance, I have never found Holocaust jokes amusing - in fact, offensive. I imagine ignorance is the real reason some serious events can seem humorous to us.

How about you? (ITT: Subjective opinions.)

Begin.

I think a joke is a joke, no matter what it is about. If a joke is told as a joke, then no one should get sensitive about it. Because we all know the person who told the joke was joking.

:: Joke-ception
::

BBS Signature

Response to Is It Okay To Laugh Now? 2011-12-24 17:21:45

Better to laugh at something than be sad about it. Unless you joke about something with intention to hurt those involved, I see no reason to wait a certain period before doing it.

Response to Is It Okay To Laugh Now? 2011-12-24 18:03:28

You can laugh at whatever you want, nobody can tell you what you're allowed to find funny. If someone wants to hysterically laugh at 9/11 or something, good for them.