00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

A Serious Discussion About Ghosts.

16,370 Views | 209 Replies

I'm fascinated by ghosts. I've never experienced a haunting, but I've learned a lot about the paranormal over the last couple of years out of morbid curiosity.

Lemme start by saying the show "Ghost Hunters" and "Dead Files" is garbage. There are a lot of ghost hunting shows that are absolutely terrible for the public perception on the spirits of the dead with very few exceptions who take a scientific approach and try to learn more about them. How they operate, the characteristics of a haunting, and so forth. The days of treating ghosts like a Halloween spooky thing will one day end when the proof becomes irrefutable to their existence, and how they live among us beyond death.

Some recurring trends are
-When they're present, it gets much colder.
-Your body can detect their presence, either by getting that feeling like you're being watched, or the hairs standing on end (some believe a reaction caused by a spirit's inherit electro-magnetic energy). Sometimes you gain the sensation of being touched, or sometimes even scratched.
-Rarely, they can manifest themselves as a full-bodied apparition, sometimes they're an amorphous shadow form, or even some instances, the opposite as a form of light. When photographed they can appear as orbs, mist, or even unexplained dark spots (parallel to the shadow figures). I'm not even talking about film or video exclusively, I'm saying especially with your own bare eyes, from the sound of recurring accounts.
-Sometimes they can be heard with your bare ears...a residual energy that a location may have experienced, replaying an event that happened long ago like an echo of time...but I'm sure there are some, separate instances where it is the disembodied voice of the soul itself. Speaking intelligent responses and attempting to communicate with the living. Sometimes they speak in a resonance that only sensitive microphones can detect what they say, with startling clarity at times.

...What does that say about the truth of our afterlife?

Why hasn't anyone really tried to buckle down and scientifically communicate with the dead? If Electronic voice phenomenon's are to be taken seriously, we could be right around the corner from being able to speak with souls of the past at will...and yet we don't understand the criteria of what bounds the spirit here. How this is an ethereal entity that remains sometimes invisible and unheard from the living, but sometimes...not. Some speculate it requires great tragedy, or merely extremes of emotions...a cataclysmic event that may have lead to a death so abrupt, the individual themselves aren't fully aware that they're dead.

...But, if EVP's and ghost-like evidence are to be believed...some instances document that spirits CAN retain memories. Some interact with the modern world. Static objects, or the living. Animals, who seem to be sensitive to their presence. If they retain thought, or conscious will, than surely they're aware that they are dead. Even ghosts of Tombstone Arizona have been documented acknowledging that they were once alive, but are now expired. I ask again, what does this say about our afterlife?

Some have spoken the names of the investigators. Did they eavesdrop, or do they have access to knowledge beyond our comprehension? What could we learn from the dead if the dead spoke back? Sometimes they relive their horrific fate over and over again, like a record eternally skipping through time...are these residual energies or are they sentient? If they're residual, are they still intelligent, and perceptive of our living realm that they shift through?

Could intelligent ghosts bridge our knowledge between the world and physics we know and understand in our dimension to a parallel reality? Something more ethereal, bounded by no physical forms, where spirits are malformed wisps of memories and knowledge? Is that our destiny? Don't even pull the religion cards...there are nun ghosts, priest ghosts, preacher ghosts, etc...what are THOSE spirit's thoughts on being trapped to a specific location....is that heaven to them? What kept them from being saved, or is salvation subjective?

Are there angels and demons, or good ghosts and asshole ghosts?

...I'm fascinated by them...and while I don't wish to be haunted and harrassed by the dead...I wish to learn what they see. What they've learned after they crossed over. If they're able to speak, and if they're willing to teach. If they could provide the living with a helpful "heads up", or if their unique conditions in the afterlife could even aid science and technology. My mind runs amuck with the possibilities, and it's helped shed my fear of them...I can't wait to see my first ghost. I like to think I have a vivid imagination, I only hope that it won't be unexpectedly terrifying or overwhelming.

Have any of you experienced any hauntings or ghostly experiences? What are your observations on ghosts and the spiritual paranormal?

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 07:30:41

No, but I think they exist.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 07:35:03

i am the ghost of halloween

ask me anything

dal lunge ci mira

di giove l'ira, e in un baleno va all'eghe in seno, da regal sede

tosto provvede, fa i generosi destrier squammosi ratto accoppiar

BBS Signature

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 07:38:20

The study in my last house was haunted. Was not really anything major to report but convincing enough to make me believe that ghosts can exist.

Woooooooooo.

Some people feel content to pour syrup on shit and call it pancakes their whole lives.

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 07:56:05

ive read your post, word by word...
and I can still seriously say there are no such thing as ghost.

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 08:01:13

fuck you

cr0mZX: norway sucks teh penor!!!!!

-

cr0mZX: Full of win and kittens! ^_^\

BBS Signature

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 10:05:08

I cant find it, but I know we have a Super Natural club somewhere in Clubs& Crews. Using the search bar yielded no results for me.

BBS Signature

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 10:07:17

Ghosts don't exist and anyone that thinks they do is one deluded fuck.

SteamID: Fetus

BBS Signature

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 10:17:27

This is dumb, you need to show epistemically how we can have knowledge of something we can't learn about empirically, to even posit it's existence is foolish.

BBS Signature

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 10:22:13

I have experienced it, but I don't believe.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 10:23:38

I am aware that i will probably never find out if they are real.

The Human Nugget- Ruining the internet, one post at a time.

Become my fan, because then you'll be cool.

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 10:27:03

Well, I have seen a few things. Been to a few places out of curiosity as well.

This is just my own opinion. But it's the best theory I got.

Most of your hauntings or at least the majority of them are on/in/near older places. Usually old stone castle's, along shorelines, or any where where some sort of natural material that's effected by electromagnetism is majorly present. (In my line of experience that it is).

In 90% of these haunting's the person presumed to be doing it went through a great deal of mental stress during the time of there death, Murder, drowning, being trapped, etc. I can't help but think that when a person goes through a major amount of mental anguish and terror and the death is slow and long enough, poor people. That the brain some how leaves some form of electromagnetic imprint on the surrounding area. Sand is quartz, the same stuff used it oldshool watches, old castle wall's. Even some forms of concrete. I can't help but get a feeling that when the situation is just right in the atmosphere that certaint conditions cause these imprints to "fire up" and some how relive there last moments. Whether or not these imprints are sentient or not I couldn't answer.

I don't know if this is right or not, but it's the only logical explanation I've ever been able to come up with.

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 10:35:24

My problem is that I do not believe in an afterlife while strangely I DO believe in ghosts/spirits. It's something I cannot really get my head around but yeah, my beliefs do contradict themselves and I have no explanation for that.

I haven't seen a ghost myself but I know several people who have and I believe their claims. I do not want to see a ghost so I imagine that I won't. I think that has something to do with it. Don't ask me to explain that either.

My dad has seen a few. One ghost floating from one wall of his old flat through to the other. He's seen his father sitting in an armchair. Another I forget and he smelt the presence of my mothers fathers the night after his funeral.

My brothers each have seen things. My eldest brother used to see a man in the garden. My other brother saw a face in his clock, not like in it but it's hard to explain (and I really believe that one as it made me feel uncomfortable in their room. I could almost feel the spirit or something there. He also saw a load of black dots when he went camping as a kid with mates. A group of dots moving towards them, until the boys decided to camp elsewhere away from it.

Our old cat was seen in my old room, where she used to sleep. I believe that.

I think when my dad or dog die that I may see them. I used to dream sometimes that my dad had died. And he would be a ghost and I would talk to him. It was horrible really. But I think when he dies, I think I would WANT to see him.

Anyway, cannot explain ghosts. I think it's something us humans will never ever understand at all.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 11:03:58

A Chinese idiom that translates literally to "ghost in the heart", means to harbor bad intentions. I believe if you bad things, you'll be haunted by yourself.

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 11:05:44

I saw a bigfoot one time, sure did.

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 13:01:51

fact: there is zero concrete evidence that ghosts and the paranormal exist

until any can actually be produced there's nothing to discuss

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 13:05:32

I'd love to come out and say that ghosts are real, 'cause that would be a pretty neat concept to consider, but there's just no solid evidence that ghosts exist. I was into "studying" ghosts a few years back, and I stopped when I realized that everyone thought I was crazy.

Put a cigarette in retarded child's eye… Piss on some orphans while they sleep. JEWS

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 13:08:29

At 11/20/11 01:01 PM, GiantDouche wrote: fact: there is zero concrete evidence that ghosts and the paranormal exist

^^^
this

What I don't get is why people who do believe ghost and the paranormal are 100% sure to exist claim us skeptics are "close-minded" when they are the ones closed to all forms objective proof.

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 13:42:07

At 11/20/11 01:04 PM, Bryan wrote:
What proof is there that ghosts exist? The idea itself sounds ridiculous, and as morbid as it is, there is almost certainly no afterlife.

I think the answers or proof are honestly beyond the realm of our comprehension.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 13:54:26

At 11/20/11 01:01 PM, GiantDouche wrote: fact: there is zero concrete evidence that ghosts and the paranormal exist

Brown Lady

Viscount Combermere

A bunch of others too

I won't call this 'proof' but it's something.

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 13:59:42

I believe in ghosts. I've had many experiences with them.

I am NOT kidding.

Let us wallow in the filth of the void clinging to one another.

Formerly Schizo-sephy.

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 14:02:54

At 11/20/11 01:54 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
Brown Lady

Viscount Combermere

A bunch of others too

I won't call this 'proof' but it's something.

actually second hand accounts and shitty photo's have no basis what so ever.

Even before the days of Photoshop, when you had to develop film, processes in development can account for most "ghost", and for the rest just over all bad quality, combined with the effect of every smudge or blur becoming a "face" or "body" can also account for the rest of these.

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 14:06:31

I'll admit that some of these photos can be dismissed as the 'Jesus in my toast' sort of variety but not all of them and not entirely.

I dunno I try to keep an open mind about these things even though I myself don't particularly believe in ghosts.

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 14:31:55

I think a thread to debate the existence of these creatures should be made first.

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 16:29:04

I'm actually kind of surprised that a decent chunk of you are so fervent to dismiss the concept entirely. I'm positive that this is a mindset that will thin in the future, as technology and knowledge on the subject is more widespread so that more people can gather their own proof. But it goes back to my early paragraph in my initial post; we totally need ACTUAL SCIENTIST to study thoroughly on the subject. To provide concrete explanations for the UNEXPLAINED.

There are instances common in orb photography where they're merely picking up dust and bugs...that doesn't explain the consistency of what's referred to as spirit orbs in known haunted locations. They have a pattern to them. I'll cite Gettysburg on this, since it's apparently a hot spot for being such a torrid battlefield in the Civil War.

Carbon monoxide poisoning doesn't account for loud screams coming from the house you're alone in. It doesn't account for a distinct voice you've never heard forming a sentence over your camera's audio. It doesn't account for a loud growl or a hiss over your shoulder. It doesn't account for, when provoking these "fake spirits that aren't there" you gain a rush of cold air, suddenly feel incredibly sad, and then you get three scratches down your arm or back with no explanation. Science must find the connection to these actual disembodied anomalies, and I REALLY think they can't do it all in one location. They would need a variety of the different types of known hauntings...but now I think I understand why they can't...it would need loads of funding and a LOT of patience and time.

At 11/20/11 10:35 AM, Gagsy wrote: My problem is that I do not believe in an afterlife while strangely I DO believe in ghosts/spirits. It's something I cannot really get my head around but yeah, my beliefs do contradict themselves and I have no explanation for that.

Some spirits maintain a form after they shed their body, others dissipate and dissolve into the ether...maybe even to recycle and start a new life, it's a theory that's way more plausible than 1/10th of the population scoring eternal paradise while the vast majority get eternal damnation.

I haven't seen a ghost myself but I know several people who have and I believe their claims. I do not want to see a ghost so I imagine that I won't. I think that has something to do with it. Don't ask me to explain that either.

That COULD make sense; "If you look for it you'll find it" mentality, or as someone mentioned earlier the Jesus Toast factor. But don't you think it might do you good to use your body as a fishing hook too, and see if you catch any undeniable snags. Just to feel something that's undeniable proof, that there is someone there who is aware of you, and decided to make you aware of them?

I'll eventually spend a great deal of time at a haunted place to test my belief in them or debunk it, and I'll be straight up with them if they're sentient...if they're knowledged entities, they probably don't appreciate being talked to like they're idiots, so I'll communicate with them like they're a person right there in front of me. I'll ask them all of the questions in my first post when I make contact.

My dad and my brothers each have seen things....

My father has experienced several hauntings when he lived out in California, who apparently was named "Mrs. White." But she was a good ghost by his account. The only negative thing she did was dumped out a fridge shelf and scattered beer all over the kitchen floor (she was known to hate alcohol), she moved chairs, locked doors, and she collected bells. I know it sounds weird, but apparently it's true.

My brother Eddie, at a very young age, was dragged and pulled by the ankles violently under his own bed by something unexplained, when he looked back, he had visible red eyes. It wasn't a nightmare, because he screamed bloody murder, Dad ran into the room, and I don't know how you can fake getting that much pull in that position when you're barefoot and not hung on the bed. He never saw the ghost, but it fucked up my brother Eddie's perception of them.

Anyway, cannot explain ghosts. I think it's something us humans will never ever understand at all.

I disagree. :D

At 11/20/11 01:05 PM, StarvingGamer wrote: ...but there's just no solid evidence that ghosts exist.

There's photographic, video, and audible documentation of ghosts that are not faked. Does this go back to "will it need a team of legitimate scientists to tackle it for you to believe in it?"

I was into "studying" ghosts a few years back, and I stopped when I realized that everyone thought I was crazy.

That's a terrible reason to stop in my honest opinion. It's a subject not a whole lot of people can exactly wrap their heads around, and some are so blinded by faith that anything of the contrary will be ignored outright...not through logic, but by a narrow-sighted closed mind. And you stopped because something that interested you made other people think less of you?

I can't wait to earn my own evidence. I can't wait for the world perception of ghosts to veer away from fiction and hoaxes, and onto that of fact.

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 18:18:12

What do you think and why do you think it?

It's not like ghosts are a new and fresh phenomenon. There are ancient accounts of ghosts where history is deep. There are some hauntings that are said to be over 400 years old in some castles.

BBS Signature

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 18:42:22

I do not believe in human spirits roaming the mortal Earth, but I believe in demons (fallen angels). They are not the same thing, and I wouldn't call either "ghosts". I do believe that demons affect us psychologically into believing that a supernatural presence is in a room (or house, etc.), but they are not "restless spirits". This is one of the reasons I believe people who have no belief of ghosts whatsoever are much less likely to experience an encounter with one. I believe demons choose to harass people who are already afraid of the supernatural.

So, you could say I do not believe in ghosts, but I believe that experiences with "them" are real. I cannot rationalize ghosts along with the Biblical account of death and the afterlife.

BBS Signature

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 18:50:13

Honestly I am quite open minded on this topic. I have a few stories to back myself up, but then again - none of this ghost business is scientifically proved, which leaves us only to speculate on this topic and share our haunted experiences

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 22:54:27

At 11/20/11 06:33 PM, Jedi-Master wrote:
Also, I do occasionally wake up with scratches on my arms, and I often hear strange sounds, as if someone is walking slowly in the hallway(The floors are a little creaky).

Attempt to communicate with it. If you don't have a microphone or a camcorder, prompt it to knock once for yes, two for no, and so on. Learn it's identity, and then find out the history of the place you live in.

At 11/20/11 06:42 PM, EmmaVolt wrote:
So, you could say I do not believe in ghosts, but I believe that experiences with "them" are real. I cannot rationalize ghosts along with the Biblical account of death and the afterlife.

Then spend a great deal of time at an actual haunted location in pure disbelief. Toy with them, and see if you gain any response to reaffirm your position, Unless you're frightened the experience will enlighten you to an entirely new train of thought. If you have nothing to fear, you have no shit to lose.

At 11/20/11 06:50 PM, MrSaint wrote: Honestly I am quite open minded on this topic. I have a few stories to back myself up...

...such as? Share them! I'm interested.

BBS Signature

Response to A Serious Discussion About Ghosts. 2011-11-20 22:56:16

At 11/20/11 10:54 PM, Phobotech wrote:
At 11/20/11 06:42 PM, EmmaVolt wrote:
Then spend a great deal of time at an actual haunted location in pure disbelief. Toy with them, and see if you gain any response to reaffirm your position,

I have actually tried that a few times and nothing happened.

BBS Signature