00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiler91 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Hating on a game in this forum

6,979 Views | 41 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 03:34:05

Please leave the hate-crap and bullshitting out, this goes for any given thread.
You guys are getting way too worked up over games, tossing bad words around that will spur the other guy and then we have a shit-fest.
Yea yea, I know, video-games are serious business (no really, it truly is! I'm not even being sarcastic :3) and the worst thing You may know is "that stupid X-game fan-boy. Ohhhh how You hate him/her for liking that stupid game...".
I'm just asking y'all to keep a civil tone.

How you should act?

- Common sense.
- Discuss pro's and con's. Discuss the game(s). Discuss what your personal opinion is. And by discuss i mean in a civil manner. If you know you'd get pissed off by somone saying something similar about something you said, or something you like - tink twice and leave it out.
- Common sense.
- Have a good time, not by pushing others thoughts and ideas down, but enjoying the discussions and arguing in a civil manner. Use your braaaain.
- Did I mention common sense?

Le punishment for acting retarded?
- Deleted post(s)
- Ban-time
- Deleted thread(s)

This is how you should feel like when you discuss video games in this forum:

Wakka wakka

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 03:56:03

In other words this is now Gaia forums?

This post is generated by human intelligence (or lack thereof).

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 05:08:03

I agree with this thread, we don't want to end up like /v/

(/v/ is at constant war with itself)

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 05:28:23

At 11/8/11 05:08 AM, Halberd wrote: I agree with this thread, we don't want to end up like /v/

(/v/ is at constant war with itself)

As long as Nintendo Hentai threads aren't allowed, this place will never be /v/.

That was a great post. Right Zach?

BBS Signature

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 05:33:37

Shit I use Facebook too much, I tried looking for a "Like" button.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 07:18:05

One thing I'll add is to form your own opinions when you are going to debate about a particular video game. There's nothing lazier and as effortless as copying and pasting text of bullshit from the scum of /v/ or saying this game sucks solely because AVGN or whatever internet reviewer you idolise said so. It feels more human-like if you're going to speak from your own words. I see no problem with giving users a break from the forums for utter laziness.

Good job Rucklo.

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 07:41:55

At 11/8/11 04:02 AM, RightWingGamer wrote: NEVR tried the same thing back in the day, and it lasted a whole hour. Let's see if Rucklo's any better at it.

There are quite a few mods who pop in here now and then, like Bah above me just proved...
As for me helping out in here... I'm pursuing a career in the games industry, so it's quite possible I'll stick around and check in on threads now and then. I've increased my activity here in this very forum even though I've had very little time to hang on NG, so we'll see what goes down, eh? :3

Wakka wakka

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 08:00:04

I would like to point out that users need to stop bringing up realism ONLY for games they dislike. It's like the most hypocritical bullshit ever.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 08:24:38

Also, while this isn't actually a rule, if you are going to argue with someone about a game's merits, then DO NOT DISSECT THEIR QUOTE LINE FOR LINE. I don't care if you have something to say about every single sentence, this is an infantile attempt to obfsucate and ignore any greater meaning that the post may have had before.

I don't want to single out Greenfrost6, because it's not just him, you're all dirt, but this kind of post is unreadable, inconclusive, and not actually making any points.

BBS Signature

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 08:55:37

At 11/8/11 08:24 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Also, while this isn't actually a rule, if you are going to argue with someone about a game's merits, then DO NOT DISSECT THEIR QUOTE LINE FOR LINE.
I don't want to single out Greenfrost6, because it's not just him, you're all dirt, but this kind of post is unreadable, inconclusive, and not actually making any points.

Whoops.

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 08:57:57

Yea...and play nice with the other kiddies in the sandbox. And share. And stop being pricks when you don't like a game. Yea.

Yea, I farm Anal Penguins. Do something about it.

BBS Signature

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 08:59:51

At 11/8/11 08:24 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Also, while this isn't actually a rule, if you are going to argue with someone about a game's merits, then DO NOT DISSECT THEIR QUOTE LINE FOR LINE.

Fucking.
This.

Thank you.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 10:16:12

At 11/8/11 04:02 AM, RightWingGamer wrote: NEVR tried the same thing back in the day, and it lasted a whole hour. Let's see if Rucklo's any better at it.

Well ever since, plenty of users have been banned for shitty behaviour and trolling in certain threads in this forum. It's just happening behind the scenes though.

I wouldn't try your luck.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 11:13:47

At 11/8/11 10:16 AM, Auz wrote: ...It's just happening behind the scenes though....

...behind...
...the...
...scenes...
...mods...
...are...
...lurking...

Wakka wakka

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 15:04:31

yeah i've argued about a game maybe once on here. this is my favorite forum because i just use it to talk about games that i'm looking forward to and ones that look bad.

that being said i feel like these rules might be interpreted as restrictive in that i'm not allowed to go in a thread where everyone is praising a game and introduce a negative thought or opinion. like if everyone was saying x is great and i joined and said i dont like the campaign this thread makes it sound like that's a bad thing.

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 15:33:26

oh god i'm having a /v/ moment, if I can't contain myself I'm going to start badmouthing videogames and calling people 'faggots' until I get banned from the forums...

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 15:40:39

About damn time.

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 16:33:26

It's about time I see this. I can't stand this! If you don't like the series, and you don't plan on getting the game, why go into the thread in the first place? UNLEASH THE BANHAMMER

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 16:45:38

Someone judge me based upon these criteria and I'll see what i can do to improve or stay the same.

In my personal opinion, I think I abide by these guidelines pretty well, most ofthe time.

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 16:49:05

At 11/8/11 03:04 PM, GiantDouche wrote: that being said i feel like these rules might be interpreted as restrictive in that i'm not allowed to go in a thread where everyone is praising a game and introduce a negative thought or opinion. like if everyone was saying x is great and i joined and said i dont like the campaign this thread makes it sound like that's a bad thing.

Pretty much this. Is this an attempt to make the border between hate and criticism much tighter? How will we know for certain what's right and what's 'wrong' under these new guidelines? I'd rather have a forum for discussion rather than a forum full of people circle-jerking in their own general threads.

Not to mention then need for more mod activity in general. I only see a good 3 mods or so actually frequenting this forum.

At 11/8/11 08:55 AM, Greenfrost6 wrote: Whoops.

But yes, that's going to stop now. Sorry about that.

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 16:56:41

At 11/8/11 04:49 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:
At 11/8/11 10:16 AM, Auz wrote: I wouldn't try your luck.
You'll have no trouble from me.

Heh.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 16:58:09

At 11/8/11 04:49 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:
At 11/8/11 10:16 AM, Auz wrote: I wouldn't try your luck.
You'll have no trouble from me.

I like Halo reach

whine-fest approaching your vicinity in 3.. 2.. 1..

BBS Signature

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 17:04:48

At 11/8/11 11:13 AM, Rucklo wrote:
At 11/8/11 10:16 AM, Auz wrote: ...It's just happening behind the scenes though....
...behind...
...the...
...scenes...
...mods...
...are...
...lurking...

My face when I'm still browsing the BBS at 3:00 AM while I should be going to bed.

At 11/8/11 03:04 PM, GiantDouche wrote: that being said i feel like these rules might be interpreted as restrictive in that i'm not allowed to go in a thread where everyone is praising a game and introduce a negative thought or opinion. like if everyone was saying x is great and i joined and said i dont like the campaign this thread makes it sound like that's a bad thing.

Well he did say as long as you stay civil it's fine, didn't he?

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 17:05:33

At 11/8/11 03:04 PM, GiantDouche wrote: yeah i've argued about a game maybe once on here. this is my favorite forum because i just use it to talk about games that i'm looking forward to and ones that look bad.

that being said i feel like these rules might be interpreted as restrictive in that i'm not allowed to go in a thread where everyone is praising a game and introduce a negative thought or opinion. like if everyone was saying x is great and i joined and said i dont like the campaign this thread makes it sound like that's a bad thing.

I hear what you say, and we're getting back to the good old:

Expectations:
- Allowed full comment: "Love this game lol"
- Not allowed full comment "This game really sucks"

That's not how things are. It's likely that no one will be banned becasue of a comment similar to that, BUT the risk with such comments are that some fan-boy is gonna be all angry in his pants and start to flame the one who didn't like the game. Who in return will flame back, and voila, shitfest ahoy!

Basically, in NG-reviews I think the above "Expectations" are part of the guidlines. This is because most users on here are amateurs, and this site is a lot more personal on that level (I'm no review mod and don't fully know the rules though, so correct me if I'm wrong...).
However, when it comes to AAA-title games and such, it's of course not the same thing.

So what are we asking?

#1 Stay civil and use common sense
#2 Argue. Be positive, Be negative. But refer from hating/flaming other users for their opinon. Understand that one persons point of view is not the same as yours. You may not like the same things. If that's the case, just move on. If the other person is acting hateful towards you personally, contact a BBS-moderator and let him/her/it deal with the flaming user.
#3 Hey guess what, #2 and #1 is really THE SAME THING!

Again, it's NOT the same thing to toss out an unmotivated "DO NOT LIEK" post, but it doesn't contribute to any discussion either. Remember that this is a FORUM, where you are SUPPOSED to discuss things. If somones short and crappy post piss you off so much, ask the user to elaborate (eh, unless a mod hasn't deleted the shitty post already...). Or better yet, leave it be, reply and discuss with the ones who have something to say.

I hope that makes a bit more sense now?

Wakka wakka

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 17:10:16

At 11/8/11 04:49 PM, Greenfrost6 wrote: I'd rather have a forum for discussion rather than a forum full of people circle-jerking in their own general threads.

For one thing, saying that people who are discussing how they are anticipating a game are "circle-jerking" doesn't help anyone, and makes you look like a moron and an asshole. So there's a good place for you to start.

You see, it would be fine if there was actual discussion of why things were seemingly good or bad. But there isn't. It's either everyone lauds the game with praise, or you have people - and I won't be calling out anyone in particular - who basically just shout incoherent bullshit in order to get their opinion heard.

And even where there is an ounce of consideration and thought put into a critical post, someone - either a fan of the game or the critic himself - posts something stupid and turns the whole thread into a pissing contest.

So please, if you have a criticism(s) of a game, post them in a respectful, well-thought manner: no more of this "hurr durr realism lolwut" crap.

And the same goes to people who like a game. If someone posts a critique, don't flame the guy.

Keep it civil, keep it clean. I don't come to the VG forum to watch a bunch of retards throwing their own excrement at each other.

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 19:20:43

At 11/8/11 04:58 PM, naronic wrote: I like Halo reach

I liked the story.
But I can't wait for Halo CEA next week, especially because of its Kinect support. (AKA best hardware ever)

That was a great post. Right Zach?

BBS Signature

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-08 19:40:40

At 11/8/11 05:05 PM, Rucklo wrote: I hope that makes a bit more sense now?

yep, just clarifying. thanks guys.

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-09 00:12:11

At 11/8/11 09:40 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:
At 11/8/11 04:58 PM, naronic wrote: I like Halo reach
Good for you.

WOW no sh*t storm!!
Good job RWG!! I am proud

BBS Signature

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-09 05:27:59

any game that isn't Madden is lame and is for babies

Response to Hating on a game in this forum 2011-11-09 05:39:43

I wholeheartedly approve of this thread. Because nothing bugs me more than seeing gamers bickering over "X-game is better than Y-game". They're games, play them, enjoy them, if you don't like a game, don't play it, and don't bash it down because other people do happen to enjoy it.

Play nice so we can all be gamer nerds together.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature