00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dan Wheldon killed in race accident

1,887 Views | 27 Replies

Well, some of you may not know or care about this guy, but he's an English sporting personality, so I thought I'd bring you guys up to speed.

A few moments ago, it was reported that 2011 Indanapolis 500 winner, Dan Wheldon had died of his injuries following a massive wreck in the race at the IndyCar season finale in Las Vegas.

After the announcement, IndyCar cheifs called the race off and drivers drove five laps in tribute to Wheldon, the 2003 rookie of the year and twice champion of the Indianapolis 500.

Not the best driver out there, but a heck of a lot better than most. Dan will be missed. He died doing what he loved, like Ayrton Senna and Dale Earnhardt Sr. among the greats who passed away behind the wheel, or as a result of accidents behind the wheel.

RIP

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-16 18:33:44

dude... its just a racecar driver....

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-16 18:34:14

At 10/16/11 06:33 PM, Boss wrote: dude... its just a racecar driver....

Yeah, so nobody really cares.

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-16 18:35:42

I saw it live horrible wreck and the five lap tribute with the track playing amazing grace got me.

Well we were dumb enough to think it was gonna happen.

BBS Signature

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-16 18:40:44

It's not like their people with families and friends or anything.

Oh wait....that's exactly what it's like.

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-16 18:41:40

At 10/16/11 06:40 PM, Scarface wrote:
It's not like their people with families and friends or anything.

Oh wait....that's exactly what it's like.

Dude... it's just boss.

[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-16 18:43:36

Just a racecar driver. Of course, that's the sort of attitude where you really need to learn that there is an alternative to the "Post it!" button.

Anyone else want to trample on the memory of a human life here? I'll be happy to molest them with the ban hammer as well. CONSIDER YOURSELVES WARNED!

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-16 18:49:17

Man i remember the Dale Sr. thing, my family is/was a huge fan of his and it was really sad. If yo like something/someone enough to continue supporting them, when something happens to them it really effects you. My best wishes to the family and friends of that driver.

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-16 18:52:02

danny was a racecar driver

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-16 18:53:19

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiT.

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12

NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-16 18:58:22

Also, in more seriousness, I feel sorta bad for his family... death is hard to handle... but at least he died doing what he loved...

Welcome us humans, we are your benefactors!

BBS Signature

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-16 19:03:58

At 10/16/11 06:43 PM, Coop wrote: Anyone else want to trample on the memory of a human life here? I'll be happy to molest them with the ban hammer as well. CONSIDER YOURSELVES WARNED!

Poor fellow.

I'd hate to die.

Dan Wheldon killed in race accident

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-16 19:13:54

As a motorsports enthusiast, my condolences go out to the family and friends of Dan Wheldon. out of the few Izod races i've seen he's actually been consistently good. It's always a tragedy when motorsports loses competitors.

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-17 03:04:12

At 10/16/11 06:56 PM, BizzarroPMP wrote:
At 10/16/11 06:43 PM, Coop wrote: Anyone else want to trample on the memory of a human life here? I'll be happy to molest them with the ban hammer as well. CONSIDER YOURSELVES WARNED!
Although I agree that it's stupid to say shit like that, it gets said on NG hundreds of times daily, easily. Neither you nor anyone else would care. There were hundreds of comments about the luge incident in the Olympics, along the exact same lines.

Had I been aware of that, my response would have been the same. The user in question implied that due to the career choice of the deceased, they were somehow a lesser being than the user. I'm not here to debate that, I just want someone to show a little humility - if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Not trying to tell you to drop the banhammer. Just loosen the grip a little, my good chum.

I take your comments on board and I'll act on them accordingly.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-17 03:21:54

I have heard of the bloke before so RIP and all that. Even though I am not a fan of many motorsports. I can barely making it through a F1 race to be honest. And even that is only exciting when crashes happen :( There is just something morbidly fun about seeing crashes. Obviously you hope no one gets injured but that cna't always happen as in this case.

It was a 15 car crash right? Sad he had to die but I guess really it was lucky no more died.

Well.. now I know one of the names that will appear on the BBC's sports personality of the year awards, the ones we lost in the year :s

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-17 03:24:41

RIP Dan. I never knew him, but I think it'd suck to die in a racing accident.

At 10/17/11 03:04 AM, Coop wrote: if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

That's what Skeepsis said in the thread he created to a response from BrainWorkinprogress ("Sorry about that [..] the first part of the iq test is to find it") but that didn't change anything either.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-17 03:48:57

Man I beat those moments after the crash, (but before he died) were so intense. On a positive note though he died doing what he loved.

Also, I didn't know that you were a fan of IndyCar Racing Coop

Thank you for sharing

BBS Signature

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-17 05:05:00

Yeah, that's very sad news. To lose the reigning Indianapolis 500 champion in such dramatic fashion made it even more traumatic.

Things were already looking down with IndyCar with Danica leaving for NASCAR and having this incident is just another blow to the league.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-17 05:22:42

At 10/16/11 06:32 PM, Coop wrote: RIP

I follow all the major car racing series. Dan was due to race this weekend in the Armor All 600 race on the Gold Coast as part of James Courtneys team. He will be sadly missed. It was a horrific crash and I'm surprised only 1 person died.

RIP Dan Wheldon.

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-17 05:41:54

I dont know the guy :(

Sad he died before i got to :(

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-17 05:54:17

Jackie Stewart is better.

Wait, why am I saying this? I don't even watch racing.

It's not the lack of crimes that values your morality but your capacity for contrition.

Click this and one day I'll be worth bazillions.

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-17 06:04:27

Footage of the wreck

It's kinda surreal, at least he died doing what he loved.

"Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions."

BBS Signature

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-17 13:02:48

Its sad he died but atleast he died racing.
Another thing thats sad is people who have no regard for others life.
They act like other people dont have family or friends.

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-17 13:08:38

At 10/17/11 03:48 AM, ExtraLife wrote: Also, I didn't know that you were a fan of IndyCar Racing Coop

I wouldn't have said I was that big a fan of IndyCar, more of a passing fan, but I like to see British sportsmen do well, whatever the circumstances. It was a shame to see the crowning of Dario Franchitti as the champion for a fourth time marred in such a tragic way.

At 10/17/11 06:04 AM, sirhenrystudios wrote: Footage of the wreck

It's kinda surreal, at least he died doing what he loved.

When I was 11, I used to use that as a way to stop me getting upset about Ayrton Senna. I'm not sure it really puts it in the best of lights, to be honest. Sure, he was doing what he loved and he knew the risks, but it still leaves a sport that has suffered a lot in recent years bleeding profusely.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-17 13:32:11

At 10/16/11 06:32 PM, Coop wrote: but he's an English sporting personality

Lolwut, never heard about him till he died, tragic stuff though but these racing drivers know the risks and atleast he died doing what he loved I guess.

BBS Signature

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-17 13:43:43

At 10/17/11 01:22 PM, MrPercie wrote: fuck off and die.

Look, this has been dealt with and if you're not going to notice that, before just taking the law into your own hands, you'll get the same treatment.

Neither my honour, nor that of the late Dan Wheldon needs any further protection.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-17 13:54:35

Heard about this last night. Poor guy, such a successful career... at least he died doing what he loved. But you gotta feel for his wife and kids...

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature

Response to Dan Wheldon killed in race accident 2011-10-17 14:08:43

He died doing what he loved.

Enter Thy Metal Hell

www.infowars.com Because There Is A War On For Your Mind.

BBS Signature