00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mikeymurder just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sirhenry Studios Art Thread

52,953 Views | 373 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-14 02:48:15

Been wanting to start a thread for all of my work, now is a good a time as any. Positive or negative, let me know what you think....

to start things off, a wip of Donatello

"Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions."

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-14 02:49:19

My newest original character, CAPTAIN AWESOME MAN!

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-14 04:08:18

At 9/14/11 02:48 AM, sirhenrystudios wrote: Been wanting to start a thread for all of my work, now is a good a time as any.

As opposed to this thread, which contains the exact same pictures + criticism?
*sigh* fine, whatever. As long as this puts an absolute end to you spreading yourself over several threads and forums.

Positive or negative, let me know what you think....

mm

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-14 04:27:00

At 9/14/11 04:08 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 9/14/11 02:48 AM, sirhenrystudios wrote: Been wanting to start a thread for all of my work, now is a good a time as any.
As opposed to this thread, which contains the exact same pictures + criticism?
*sigh* fine, whatever. As long as this puts an absolute end to you spreading yourself over several threads and forums.
Positive or negative, let me know what you think....
mm

hehe..

Why don't you let me know what "you" think Turkey, give me some feedback dude.

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-14 04:46:34

At 9/14/11 04:27 AM, sirhenrystudios wrote: Why don't you let me know what "you" think Turkey, give me some feedback dude.

Fair 'nuff.
I'm enjoying the sparkly texture of his costume and his hair. Overall his colour scheme is great. I'm aware about the bobblehead thing, but I think it's forgivable. As usual, it depends on how comfortable you are when it comes to respositioning the character for another pic.

Not a fan of the text. It looks very basic when juxtaposed to your character, the line weights aren't uniform and the text is unsure whether it's being sucked into a single point or not. The "wesome" of "Awesome" is teeny tiny compared to the other letters (especially the "A"), which is bizarre considering that's the most important word in his name.

I also don't liking shading to black. It's ok on the blue, but it makes the lovely yellow boots look muddy. I think if you tweaked the color towards a darker hue like orange you'd retain those original bright colours.

Finally: blank white canvas! Ewww. Your pics would benefit if you either backed it on a neutral colour like grey (so that the whites in your image are the brightest things in the whole pic, and not the rest of the canvas), or on a simple background (subtle gradient, etc.) to make it look extra impressive.

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-14 17:15:45

Turkey, that is THE most detailed and specific critique I have ever had in my life, you didn't simply state what you didn't like, you went in to detail on ways that I can improve it. I have nothing to say after that, I can only thank you for giving me such righteous feedback. PLEASE, keep an eye out for my finished tmnt piece. It would be awesome to get another critique as good as this one, considering I am taking more time on this one then any piece before it.

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-15 21:58:08

wip, not really satisfied with raphael, let me know what you all think....

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-15 22:00:23

a little better....

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-15 22:39:09

10min hulk sketch

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-15 23:00:43

might as well...

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-15 23:18:13

last update for tonight...

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-16 00:15:13

Your text looks awful. when doing text you should go for clean linework and minimal shading that makes it pop. I agree with TOAS on the shading to black on the yellow, go for shading within the color type you're using. a background should be added as well.
Your Raphael appears to have a different anatomy than the Donatello though that may just be the perspective and shading. I would say make the faces different because right now they look to be the same. give each turtle a look that expresses their personality better.
where the head meets the neck on raphael looks kinda off, like there should be something more.

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-16 04:52:10

At 9/16/11 12:15 AM, JackDGreatest wrote: Your text looks awful. when doing text you should go for clean linework and minimal shading that makes it pop. I agree with TOAS on the shading to black on the yellow, go for shading within the color type you're using. a background should be added as well.
Your Raphael appears to have a different anatomy than the Donatello though that may just be the perspective and shading. I would say make the faces different because right now they look to be the same. give each turtle a look that expresses their personality better.
where the head meets the neck on raphael looks kinda off, like there should be something more.

I agree with you both about the text, I really didn't take my time. As for the TMNT piece, it's inspired by the original Eastman and Laird turtles, that is why the necks are so slender and the faces look more like turtles. The only real distinctive characteristic of the original turtles were their weapons, until the colored version depicted them all with the same red bandana and a slightly differing skin tone. I do see what you mean though about expressing their personality, I am trying to accomplish this by body language and stance though it could be more evident. Thank you both for the great feedback, it is always appreciated.

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-16 05:37:00

I'd suggest using darker contrasts or lighter ones for shading and highlights, just using black and white makes whatever you're shading look kinda like plastic. if you get my meaning.

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-16 06:19:34

I agree, I have been trying different colors for shading and lighting, plastic looking is a good description of my results thus far. The hulk pic uses dark green and light green hues and looks more realistic because of it. Thanks for the feedback!

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-16 09:16:59

I feel like the Ninja Turtle with his arms crossed has really small arms. Has he been cutting back on steroids?

Anyways, I like the second picture you posted. I feel like you should re-do the text though, along with what everybody else things. It's very nice lighting.

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-16 10:37:21

At 9/15/11 10:00 PM, sirhenrystudios wrote: a little better....

i would just pick up the upper portion of his body (shoulders, head) and move it up a little bit. :3

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-17 15:07:11

If Raphael is going to be standing in a pose where his head is facing twords the floor, i think there should be a lot less neck showing.

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-21 03:47:28

Low quality render of latest project....

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-21 04:13:48

another...

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-09-24 03:01:32

test render...

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-10-03 03:21:31

another...

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-10-03 03:25:13

and a render of an electronic cigarette for a project I am working on, feedback would be greatly appreciated...

Video

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-10-04 19:02:49

WIP...

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-10-04 19:57:55

0: his eyes grew

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-10-07 15:33:37

wip

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-10-07 15:44:08

At 10/4/11 07:57 PM, Civilized-Apocalypse wrote: 0: his eyes grew

hehe.. I knew someone would comment on that, I'm glad you remember how he looks

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-10-07 16:25:41

this will be it for this weekend, going on vacation...in october......

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-10-07 16:33:24

At 10/4/11 07:02 PM, sirhenrystudios wrote: WIP...

Dude, I realize if you remember me you probably hate me, but I think you should color all of your stuff like this. Not necessarily with all the detail and shading and such, because I realize that takes awhile, but at least with the line art still visible through the coloring. In your earlier pieces when you completely covered the line art when you colored, it gave it a digital paint sort of look that felt out of place with your style. I don't mean to offend you by saying that, i'm just trying to let you know that I think this looks waaay better than your older stuff, and you should keep it up.

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2011-10-10 01:11:44

I'm back, and with another WIP. Decided to try a new angle on the concept from last time

BBS Signature