00:00
00:00

Making a Choose your own adventure.

499 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I'm going to start off by saying I'm not shure if this is where I should post this or not. If I did post this in the wrong section just tell me where I should move it.

So reacently I've been wanting to break into the flash game making industry. My two main problems are. A. I don't have the cash for flash. B. I have no formal programming experience. We all have to start somewhere so I've decided to start of as simple as possible. With a zombie survival choose-your-own adventure game.

What I'm trying to shoot for is a simple fifty page story that can be played out in about 15 minutes. I'll take about two days to write up the quick script and program a simple click to progress type game. My main goal is to make this into a series of games each game becoming progressivly more advanced until I have a basic understanding of the principle.

So can someone tell me whats the best way to go about aqquiring flash and learning how to program? I'd like to learn how to do this and get it out there. I think this is a pretty good way to improve both my writing and technical skills. Also I'm not above finding a free copy of flash if you catch my drift. If you can just show me where to find all of this that'd be great. Thanks.

Cubethulhu Creations Head the Call.

Response to Making a Choose your own adventure. 2011-08-27 17:09:44

Acquiring flash:
You can get Flash 8 for few money and it could do the thing you've describe. Better would be to start with actionscript 3. You can get a 30-day trial for free for CS3, 4 and 5.
Later if you are comfortable with code you can say goodbye to the flash environment and go work with a (free) IDE which is a only-code environment. This way you can still make your flash graphics with flash 8 or something which is cheap (you really only need the higher versions for the better actionscript).
And if you are a student you can get a much cheaper price because its good for adobe if students get used to their environment so they can later choose to work with it and have their bosses pay for it.

Learning how to code:
This still is a painful process in the flash community because there are relatively few high quality tutorials and the ones that exists are extremely focussed on 1 topic. If you got the money and you are willing to spend it I highly recommend buying books on actionscript, its just the fact that you pay for it and it has quality. I remember: Foundation Game Design with Flash by Rex van der Spuy. This is a really nice book for beginners and it also has detailed information about how to make a point and click game with different pages like a storybook, so it even has a chapter devoted to your specific problem! it doesnt get much better than that.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.
cfm?product=flash

Get your trial and start, today!

Response to Making a Choose your own adventure. 2011-08-27 21:16:04

If you don't need the actual Flash IDE, you could use FlashDevelop (open-source and free) to do the programming. I think the installer has an option to download, install and configure the free Flex SDK automatically. Do that, and you've got yourself a totally free and legal development environment! You won't be able to create vector artwork and animation like you can in the Flash IDE, but you can still import your own graphics and sounds and whatnot and use them in the code.

Strip-Arcade (NSFW)

Come play with us...

Response to Making a Choose your own adventure. 2011-08-28 01:04:16

well to get flash, get money and buy it *cough* torrent *cough* and as for programming experience there are plenty of tutorials :)

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.