00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Neptuno84 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw

34,232 Views | 207 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-02-12 12:27:22

At 14 hours ago, lovingthedark wrote: Decorative vambrace I made a bit ago.

3"x3"x5.5"x (9" flat)
Copper, nickel, bronze, nugold (a yellowish copper alloy), copper wire, brass wire, steel wire, steel nails.

I think it would be cool if you wrapped coloured thread around parts of it, almost like bead shaped. Maybe blue and yellow and orange or something. Probably a different directing than you intended. I dunno. Just what came to mind when I saw it.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-02-16 19:02:43

Work in progress. I hate the shirt. Need a tablet and to stop whining about how i need a tablet. I'll get one soon.
I'll make the background darker and add a bunch of things before it's done.

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-04-11 02:41:05

There's a ton of works-in-progress I should photograph and post, but here's a small piece I did. I'd taken a bunch of shots of a friend of mine way back when and I found out a few days ago that she died in a car crash almost a month ago. Anyway, this is a flashback to the sort of work I used to do a lot of back in high school when I knew her, just fucking around in photoshop and playing with color and composition in a raw way.

Also, a simple enough project that I could justify deviating from my thesis work, which is totally exciting and I hope I figure out a way to photograph it that does it justice. I'm working with installations for the first time- trying to create a space that my pieces can live in and get away for the sterile white box that is most gallery spaces. Updates coming soon.

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-04-14 00:01:02

Bone nest, accompanies this piece.

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-04-14 00:09:13

At 2/16/12 07:02 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Work in progress. I hate the shirt. Need a tablet and to stop whining about how i need a tablet. I'll get one soon.
I'll make the background darker and add a bunch of things before it's done.

is that handsome boy with the bald spot ornery?

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-04-14 00:25:42

At 4/14/12 12:09 AM, J-qb wrote: is that handsome boy with the bald spot ornery?

Yus. I needed a model and he was willing and very pretty.

Detail shot. I'd made this once before but the dog ate all the bones and I was never happy with the presentation anyway (i'd just put the nest on a pedestal), so I'm glad i finally found the perfect stick for it.

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-04-22 01:18:58

Work in progress. Kind of a mobile. I'm building a network of sticks on the ceiling of my studio, but the studio is full of ventilation shafts and I'm not sure how to ignore them. Proper photos coming later, once i've figured that out. I'm trying think in terms of installations for the first time in my life, and there's a lot of mental rerouting needed.

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-05-02 19:02:20

I've already turned this in to school so it isn't urgent, but can I get a final bit of critique on it so I can fix up any remaining problems over my gloriously free summer break which starts tomorrow oh my god yes finally? I plan to post it in the portal once I've attacked it one more time.

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-05-02 19:24:45

At 5/2/12 07:02 PM, lovingthedark wrote: I've already turned this in to school so it isn't urgent, but can I get a final bit of critique on it so I can fix up any remaining problems over my gloriously free summer break which starts tomorrow oh my god yes finally? I plan to post it in the portal once I've attacked it one more time.

First off, I must say I really like the way you drew the face. It kinda gets a certain "mood" across, but I can't express it properly. Either way, it is good. :)

I was thinking why it feels to me that the background doesn't fit the pic and I assume it's the much lower contrast between the darks and lights in comparison to the contrast on the face. Probably the same with the rope.

Sorry that I can't put my finger directly on it, but I think the background needs some tweaking to make the whole pic look more homogeneous.

Maybe someone else can step in from this point and help you more specifically. Or tell me if I am wrong. :P

But I like the drawing already a lot.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-05-03 02:59:20

At 5/2/12 07:24 PM, Luwano wrote:
At 5/2/12 07:02 PM, lovingthedark wrote: I've already turned this in to school so it isn't urgent, but can I get a final bit of critique on it so I can fix up any remaining problems over my gloriously free summer break which starts tomorrow oh my god yes finally? I plan to post it in the portal once I've attacked it one more time.
First off, I must say I really like the way you drew the face. It kinda gets a certain "mood" across, but I can't express it properly. Either way, it is good. :)

I was thinking why it feels to me that the background doesn't fit the pic and I assume it's the much lower contrast between the darks and lights in comparison to the contrast on the face. Probably the same with the rope.

Sorry that I can't put my finger directly on it, but I think the background needs some tweaking to make the whole pic look more homogeneous.

Maybe someone else can step in from this point and help you more specifically. Or tell me if I am wrong. :P

But I like the drawing already a lot.

I think adding a little amount of red in the rope in the back would do the background good.
And like luw already said the contrast in the clothing and rope should be more like that of the face.
And maybe you could post the ref so its easier to give critique on the face.

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-05-04 21:58:38

Thanks guys. I'll up the contrast in everything but the face, and put more red in the rope.

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-05-23 23:05:24

WIP for Turkey's M&A Monday. Should be fun. Might end up starting over from scratch.

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-05-24 01:13:36

I used a reference, but I could probably manage changing the head angle. I think I'll work all the stuff i've been putting off that makes the scene less study-like for a while then see how changing the head angle works out. Thanks for the advice.

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-10-24 00:17:31

Oh yeah, this thread exists. A few of the things I've been working on:

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-10-24 00:40:27

Self-hardening clay on roofing slate. I was going to paint the radiating forms blue-green and add a tiny sinking ship made out of balsa wood to the center, but while i was dicking around I stuck in the figure i'd made for another project and i think i like it better. Maybe. There's something very nice about the slate/clay combination that I'm afraid to wreck, but maybe I'm just being a coward.

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-10-24 01:26:39

Graphite on Rives BFK. Still looking for frames for these ones.

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-10-24 08:07:51

At 10/24/12 12:40 AM, lovingthedark wrote: Self-hardening clay on roofing slate. I was going to paint the radiating forms blue-green and add a tiny sinking ship made out of balsa wood to the center, but while i was dicking around I stuck in the figure i'd made for another project and i think i like it better. Maybe. There's something very nice about the slate/clay combination that I'm afraid to wreck, but maybe I'm just being a coward.

Oh man. It's so hard to add to something you like already. Unless you're working digitally. Which is one of the reasons I almost always work with digital canvas.

If you're afraid of making irreversible changes to your physical work, why not just mess it up in photoshop instead?

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-10-24 18:47:24

I can visualize the waves painted pretty clearly, i just don't know that it with the shipwreck instead of the figure is as meaningful a scene. Or maybe I'm just in denial about I think I'll try making the shipwreck and seeing if I like it.

Below- black ink, acrylic paint, charcoal, matte medium, Rives BFK. About 40" tall, I think? Gonna stick in a simple background.

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-10-24 18:51:17

*I can visualize the waves painted pretty clearly, I just don't know that it with the shipwreck instead of the figure is as meaningful a scene. Or maybe I'm just in denial about how my original plan fell apart and I finished this way sooner than I planned. I think I'll try making the shipwreck and seeing if I like it.

Below- black ink, acrylic paint, charcoal, matte medium, Rives BFK. About 40" tall, I think? Gonna stick in a simple background.

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-10-28 04:15:56

Kind of a long story. Over the summer I joined a super amazing aerial theater troupe, which let my insane flexibility finally be useful for something. We had a show in September, a high energy one about what it means to be human in an urban environment (it is hard to describe). For our last act we all clipped our harnesses into the same set of ropes to form a human wrecking ball that got pushed around the stage, and it looked kind of like this.

Anyway I'd drawn a sketch of this as part of a card for our directors and one of them wanted it redone for publicity purposes, so here i am partway done cleaning it up and vectorizing it. Been forever since I've used Illustrator.

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-10-28 10:10:01

At 10/28/12 04:15 AM, lovingthedark wrote: We had a show in September, a high energy one about what it means to be human in an urban environment (it is hard to describe).

Read as " we flew around doing tricks on ropes and shit, fuck story and meaning"

Been forever since I've used Illustrator.

Lazerbeam orgy

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-11-01 01:45:34

Yay Halloween. This almost worked as well in real life as it did in my head. Probably should have painted my full face though- the switch from écorché to normal mid-face is disconcerting.

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-11-01 01:51:07

At 11/1/12 01:45 AM, lovingthedark wrote: Yay Halloween. This almost worked as well in real life as it did in my head. Probably should have painted my full face though- the switch from Ãf©corchÃf© to normal mid-face is disconcerting.

wow really awesome dark. I really like it.
Man I really love Halloween, but I don't dress up anymore. Usually because I'm too busy or cannot afford it. I want to though. Perhaps next year we should hold a Art Forum Costume Contest. That might be fun.

If I had to critique, I think you should have gone a little more white where the bone is suppose to show. But that could also be the lighting of the photo.

You should upload a link to a full size pic.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-11-01 02:03:41

At 11/1/12 01:51 AM, Kinsei01 wrote::

wow really awesome dark. I really like it.
Man I really love Halloween, but I don't dress up anymore. Usually because I'm too busy or cannot afford it. I want to though. Perhaps next year we should hold a Art Forum Costume Contest. That might be fun.

If I had to critique, I think you should have gone a little more white where the bone is suppose to show. But that could also be the lighting of the photo.

You should upload a link to a full size pic.

Aw shucks. Yeah, I just used the white of my skin- when i was experimenting with the body paints i found the white tended to blend with the red no matter how careful i was, so it'd end up with pink hues i really didn't want.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/3d5f6a77bb638dc644056138 098bc3c9

Halloween is a great time of year- it's a pity adults get less into it than kids. We should totally hold a costume contest.

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-11-01 02:12:24

At 11/1/12 02:03 AM, lovingthedark wrote: Aw shucks. Yeah, I just used the white of my skin- when i was experimenting with the body paints i found the white tended to blend with the red no matter how careful i was, so it'd end up with pink hues i really didn't want.

Aw thats such a shame. Perhaps next time. Although you could have gone as a Brest Cancer Awareness Muscle Structure... Or a Skinned Alive Pink Power Ranger. Those could have worked with the pink. You know... creative lying, right?

Halloween is a great time of year- it's a pity adults get less into it than kids. We should totally hold a costume contest.

Yes. Lets mark the calender.... This could be lots of fun for people who fabricate things more than just paint or draw. It's probably be real fun for Majestic Bob.

I took my Nephew out this year, just like last year, and My family thinks I do it cause I'm a nice guy, but I actually do it for a cut of the candy.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-11-01 02:55:41

At 11/1/12 02:12 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: Aw thats such a shame. Perhaps next time. Although you could have gone as a Brest Cancer Awareness Muscle Structure... Or a Skinned Alive Pink Power Ranger. Those could have worked with the pink. You know... creative lying, right?

Damn straight. First thing you learn in art school is how to say "I meant to do that".

Yes. Lets mark the calender.... This could be lots of fun for people who fabricate things more than just paint or draw. It's probably be real fun for Majestic Bob.

Sounds good to me. Do we want it to coincide with halloween or just be a general ng contest? I feel like halloween will probably get more participation, but then we have to wait a whole year.

I took my Nephew out this year, just like last year, and My family thinks I do it cause I'm a nice guy, but I actually do it for a cut of the candy.

What'd your nephew go as?

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-11-01 03:06:33

At 11/1/12 02:55 AM, lovingthedark wrote: Sounds good to me. Do we want it to coincide with halloween or just be a general ng contest? I feel like halloween will probably get more participation, but then we have to wait a whole year.

Next year would probably be best... unless we have a NG themed contest for Pico day or something...

What'd your nephew go as?

He's 4, so he went as Batman. Last year he went as a TMNT

Oddly enough I went as a turtle when I was his age as well... I also went as superman one year...

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-11-01 11:20:33

At 11/1/12 01:45 AM, lovingthedark wrote: Yay Halloween. This almost worked as well in real life as it did in my head. Probably should have painted my full face though- the switch from Ãf©corchÃf© to normal mid-face is disconcerting.

This looks great, I love it.

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-11-28 02:34:07

Dip pen, ink, matte medium, white paint on Rives BFK. Quick thing, trying out stuff.

Response to Dark Whores Her Art: Sometimes Nsfw 2012-11-28 02:37:46

Oops. Meant to make that picture smaller.

Oh well. This is one of the things most recently started. There will be oil paint for the sea, but I'll keep the ship drawn charcoal and the sky raw canvas.