00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xo1029392 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Avat round 2

6,330 Views | 67 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Avat round 2 2011-07-12 07:24:00

AVAT - Round 2 - Medieval

This is the second round of the AVAT tournament. The following questions should help you out if you are having trouble.

What is the theme for round 2?

Medieval. It can be anything medieval, such as a building, or clothing. If you are not the greatest at this theme, use your imagination and expand the theme. Just make sure something medieval takes up most of the screen.

How will this round be arranged?

The top 12 people will continue to the third and final round from this round. Best of luck to everyone.

Will there be a break after this round?

Yes, there will be a 1 week break after this round if all goes to plan.

Who are the judges?

TurkeyOnAStick
Jomillex
LegolaSS
Big-Jonny-13
S0LK
SketchyEntertainment
Ornery
Luis
Hyptosis

These 9 judges will take their time into reviewing a few of the art pieces as well, if they desire.

When are all art submissions due?

12:00am (Midnight) Saturday the 6th of August, Newgrounds time. You are given 26 days to submit your art, so best of luck to all.

If you have a late submission, a few points will be deducted from your score, depending on what all judges agree on. If you are way over the deadline, a disqualification may be set.

Please finish and submit it early so you will not be stress about point deductions.

======== ======== ========= ========
Also, please tag 'AVAT' in your submission to make the art searches even easier, in case you forget to post it in the forum.
======== ======== ======== =========

Best of luck with it all, I hope you all do well. If you are unsure about an art piece, please feel free into asking a judge for their opinion. This will help your score with the judges...possibly.

Thank you and once again, good luck.

Round 1 AVAT thread
AVAT discussion

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-12 18:07:49

Thanks for doing this jon.

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-13 01:16:47

i just have one question before i go off painting
is it preferable if the medieval is more realistic to the time period or is it preferable to the judges that it branches into fantasy medieval theme?

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-13 05:09:18

At 7/13/11 01:16 AM, Civilized-Apocalypse wrote: i just have one question before i go off painting
is it preferable if the medieval is more realistic to the time period or is it preferable to the judges that it branches into fantasy medieval theme?

Well I think it is best to do something different with your creation. Just make sure the style kind of looks medieval. Fantasy sounds fine.

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-13 20:34:20

Honestly I would be bored with a painting relative to the actual medival times.
I would love to see imagination shine through in this competition and I'm hoping some artists can step it up. I voted alot of low scores last round and I am hoping to see u guys at your full potential!

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-13 21:44:13

I've been reading Berserk lately. My creative juices are flowing right now.

"A great artist is just a crappy artist who was too stubborn to give up."

Art Dump / Artwork / Updates & News

BBS Signature

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-17 01:17:27

bump

I am just bumping this thread so people do not have to go searching through the forums to find it.

I am going to message all of these competitors as well.

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-17 01:29:34

At 7/17/11 01:26 AM, LazyAss23 wrote: So subround dont matter?

There is still 3 or 4 days left before cancellation.

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-17 07:58:36

Ah snap, I just found out my cool idea for this round is probably not allowed. The signature theme I have wasn't around until the 1600's, which is technically not medieval times anymore.
.. Crap.
I don't want to give away what my central theme is, but just to ask: Is it okay to use a theme that's technically not in mediaval times anymore, but still percieved as such by (I think) a lot of people?

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-17 08:05:04

At 7/17/11 07:58 AM, Morthagg wrote: Ah snap, I just found out my cool idea for this round is probably not allowed. The signature theme I have wasn't around until the 1600's, which is technically not medieval times anymore.
.. Crap.
I don't want to give away what my central theme is, but just to ask: Is it okay to use a theme that's technically not in mediaval times anymore, but still percieved as such by (I think) a lot of people?

Given the general lack of knowledge about the finer points of the chronology of the last thousand years held by most people, I imagine you could have just done your idea and not told anyone.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-17 08:34:41

At 7/17/11 08:05 AM, Aigis wrote:
Given the general lack of knowledge about the finer points of the chronology of the last thousand years held by most people, I imagine you could have just done your idea and not told anyone.

Probably, yes. Still, I'd rather know beforehand and if necessary change my artwork than risk being disqualified afterwards.
Though I think I'm just going to go through with it anyways, the theme is recognisable enough methinks. I could pm a judge with the details though, if it seems necessary.

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-17 08:54:55

At 7/17/11 08:34 AM, Morthagg wrote: Probably, yes. Still, I'd rather know beforehand and if necessary change my artwork than risk being disqualified afterwards.
Though I think I'm just going to go through with it anyways, the theme is recognisable enough methinks. I could pm a judge with the details though, if it seems necessary.

An amateur art competition that disqualifies a submission because it depicts elements of the Renaissance rather than Medieval times wouldn't be an art competition worth competing in. It's not a history test, after all.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-17 09:05:58

At 7/17/11 08:54 AM, Aigis wrote: An amateur art competition that disqualifies a submission because it depicts elements of the Renaissance rather than Medieval times wouldn't be an art competition worth competing in. It's not a history test, after all.

I agree wholeheartedly by keeping an open mind about the submissions, and Sketchy said you can use your imagination to expand the theme.

BBS Signature

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-17 09:41:06

Okidoke, then. I'll get to it.

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-19 16:56:54

bump

There are still a few days, but I just want to know who is and isn't competing for this round.

Please, if you cannot compete, tell me as soon as possible.

-SketchyEntertainment

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-19 17:00:39

At 7/19/11 04:56 PM, SketchyEntertainment wrote:
bump
There are still a few days, but I just want to know who is and isn't competing for this round.

Please, if you cannot compete, tell me as soon as possible.

-SketchyEntertainment

Its 18 days until the 6th of august.
Are you ok sketchy?

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-19 17:08:25

Its 18 days until the 6th of august.
Are you ok sketchy?

Yes, haha. I forgot to emphasise the 'few'.

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-19 17:11:14

I'm working on my entry for this round, Sketchy.

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-19 17:13:04

At 7/19/11 05:11 PM, Morthagg wrote: I'm working on my entry for this round, Sketchy.

That is good, best of luck, Morthagg.

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-19 18:19:31

LUIS? WHAT DOES HE KNOW ABOUT ART!?

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-22 10:35:29

Here's my entry!
i couldn't make use of all the critique i got because im going on vacation in a little bit, so sorry bout that.
But i hope you guys still think its awesome!

Avat round 2

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-22 17:38:47

wipwop

Avat round 2

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-24 21:38:45

Nice work you two, they both look promising.

Anyway, I will be away until friday, so if anyone needs me, please get me then.

Thanks and best of luck with all of your work

-SketchyEntertainment

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-25 10:24:10

I'm starting to get really bored with this

Avat round 2

BBS Signature

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-26 15:27:22

weeeh ive finally started working on it, i kinda got overruned by work but im still planning on finishing before times up >o<
i sketched it all out today without even looking at it from a distance so when i did it looked horrible but i kept leaning to the side of, i didnt wanna redraw cause it took hours and my jones soda cap said "make as many corrections as you consider needed"
haa guess that means im gonna keep drawing

oh sorry to ramble but my question is would we get counted down if it goes back and forth between middle ages and renaissance? i have more of a uh...religious put to it i guess you could say and the theme of it fits more renaissance but its surroundings and fashions fit middle ages

guahh im rambling again sorry

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-26 15:42:06

I'm sure you'll be fine. There weren't really any trolls in medieval times either, nor were penicorns...

BBS Signature

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-26 18:09:13

I also managed to start mine.I hope it comes out as good as I imagined how it would look like :)

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-28 01:11:57

Hello everyone. It is turning out well and I am glad to see many of you have started. Best of luck.

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-29 04:56:42

BBS Signature

Response to Avat round 2 2011-07-29 14:49:08